Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting to get annoyed

marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

3 hours offline last night 7:30pm - 10:30pm my time - ok sometimes thats expected

tonight 6:30pm - 11:30pm offline

So what happens tomorrow night?

Ok now the funny part, I bought TSW on the weekend because the 1 hour downtime every night of Darkfall (8:30pm my time) was annoying me.

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

Comments

• GlacianNexGlacianNex Member UncommonPosts: 652

Tomorrow night? Downtime - fixing whatever they will break tonight.

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019

Give it another week or so and see when there regular downtime is going to be, so far they have been down two sundays in a row which is useless for anyone outside of north america. 

At least todays downtime is actually for a patch though. But yeah, not much I can say to compensate people from your part of the world with the crappy downtimes you guys get, we moan a lot in the EU but yours are usually peak time.

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556

Any new MMO release is like this. I play from Australia too so this is annoying but I'll live with it.  As long as it's up over the weekends I'll be happy.

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

Maintenance happens.

<3

• SuffurSuffur Member UncommonPosts: 24

You clearly never went through AoC or AO launches. This one is amazing in comparison. Patience is a virtue. 

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

The two first downtimes where for maintainance, while this one is for the 1.01 patch that should fix some of the issues people have with some quests and chat channels.

I am guessing they will go back to weekly downtimes after fixing the above issues.

• MoodsorMoodsor Member UncommonPosts: 712

As some of the people above have stated, this is a part of playing a newly launched MMO, take it with a smile.

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030

They can't please everyone in the world.. No matter what time they patch, it's going to be primetime somewhere.  All I can do is offer you a tissue.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• BhorzoBhorzo Member Posts: 192

What kind of silly person buys an MMORPG at launch anyways?

• Ren128Ren128 Member UncommonPosts: 73
    Originally posted by Bhorzo

What kind of silly person buys an MMORPG at launch anyways?

I didn't. I bought it before the launch. Same with GW2 :).

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Last night it was down to try and hotfix the chat issues. Today it's down for patch 1.0.1, which they say has a complete fix for the chat problems and lots more minor fixes (based on test server nots if they are accurate).

If you read the launcher beofre you start the game you will have had a few days notice that all this was going to happen.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398
    Originally posted by marcust

Ok now the funny part, I bought TSW on the weekend because the 1 hour downtime every night of Darkfall (8:30pm my time) was annoying me.

You are right, that IS funny. In search of a game with little or no downtime, you start playing a MMO at launch (facepalm).

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Bjelar
    Originally posted by marcust   Ok now the funny part, I bought TSW on the weekend because the 1 hour downtime every night of Darkfall (8:30pm my time) was annoying me.

You are right, that IS funny. In search of a game with little or no downtime, you start playing a MMO at launch (facepalm).

Yeah, there are just a lot of things to get ironed out at launch. It's annoying, but it's to be expected. The only real question is how much downtime are you willing to put up with to play the game?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• ThaVampThaVamp Member Posts: 48

I for once applaud them for fixing things so quick. This game has some really bad bugs, but with the first patch adjusting most of them already (at least I hope so) I see a bright future. And I there's a good change they're giving us some free gametime for it. At least my girlfriend got extra time with her buddy pass yesterday, because of the dowtime.

Anyway, you can't really judge an MMO by their first month. Any MMO has major downtime then. And luckely it's not as bad as for example Diablo 3 (not even an MMO).

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Just curious, but which other MMOs (besides those made by Funcom) launched with servers being down for 4-5hours every other day for the first week, at least.

People keep saying 'this is just normal', but I can't seem to think of any successful MMOs that have had this problem. Even WoW didn't have this many server downtimes, but they did have a big problem w/ Ques. Don't remember having this problem with LotRO, or Rift, or EQ2, or CoH, or Eve, or WoW, or Champions. So where are all these MMOs that have such clumsy launches?

I know WAR had probably about the same number of bugs, but not as much server maintenance. Honestly curious on this.

• frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by marcust

3 hours offline last night 7:30pm - 10:30pm my time - ok sometimes thats expected

tonight 6:30pm - 11:30pm offline

So what happens tomorrow night?

The source of your annoyance is your mistaken expectation that the rest of the world should follow your personal schedule. 

Your choices are to do nothing and remain annoyed, or realize how silly this expectation is and move on.

That last sentence would have finished beautifully if you had added ", Captain Kirk" to it.

• PanthienPanthien Member UncommonPosts: 559
    Originally posted by aesperus

Just curious, but which other MMOs (besides those made by Funcom) launched with servers being down for 4-5hours every other day for the first week, at least.

People keep saying 'this is just normal', but I can't seem to think of any successful MMOs that have had this problem. Even WoW didn't have this many server downtimes, but they did have a big problem w/ Ques. Don't remember having this problem with LotRO, or Rift, or EQ2, or CoH, or Eve, or WoW, or Champions. So where are all these MMOs that have such clumsy launches?

I know WAR had probably about the same number of bugs, but not as much server maintenance. Honestly curious on this.

MIght be a time zone thing but I havent seen the servers being down everyday at all.

• MrlogicMrlogic Member Posts: 178

This is normal for most mmos after launch, Im expecting something similar when GW2 launches (I hope not) but it wouldnt surprise or annoy me.

• BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398

Rubbish. There has been one scheduled 3 hours long server mainenance every Sunday, and one unexpected 3 hour long attempt to fix chat.

Today it's down for 5 hours to implement the patch 1.01 players have been begging for since launch. That's it downtime-wise.

EDIT: Make that 4 hours.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Well let me see now..

WOW did have downtimes and massive server qs (Remember wow only initially released in the US)

EQ had big issues as well

Darkfall

Mortal Online

WAR

SWTOR has massive server qs

Infact im finding it hard to think of a game that didnt have any downtime at all.. hell even Rifts was down nearly every day for patches.. I remember them popping up on my facebook and I was thinking wow down again for a patch..

I guess the OP has been unlucky as his time zone just happens to have their peak time when the servers where gonig down for patches...

I am based in the UK and have not had any downtime in peak time at all and im pretty sure thats the same for the rest of europe and the US.... Sadly Europe and the US are the biggest markets for this game so of coruse they dont want to take the servers down during peak time for them... but they ahve to take it down at some point and i guess the OP is unlucky in that it just happens to be during the times he plays..

I also think this has only happened over the last few days so not bad at all really.. and its a very very good thing Funcom are keeping on top of the bugs.. but doing this they cant please everyone :(

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Wtf?

Try every game that launched including the ones you mentioned. It was a great patch and yes this is pretty much normal. This launch has gone rather smooth overall.

Christ some of you are seriously reaching to find things to bitch about.

...and WoW had an insane amount of server downtime. Anyone saying otherwise clearly was not around for launch.

Only games I would say that had very little launch issues were Rift and LotRO. Which is what every company should look to either meet or surpass. So I'm not giving FC a free pass but your assertions are absolutely ridiculous.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019

People have already debunked most of your list as having massive downtimes I will add to it with Champions Online info, it was down as normal at release. They also had a massive issue with users within the UK completely unable to connect to the game because ISP's were blocking it as peer2peer traffic, hundreds of people that bought the game couldn't play it and it took them a week and a half to get in touch with the ISP's to allow the traffic through.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by SlickShoes

People have already debunked most of your list as having massive downtimes I will add to it with Champions Online info, it was down as normal at release. They also had a massive issue with users within the UK completely unable to connect to the game because ISP's were blocking it as peer2peer traffic, hundreds of people that bought the game couldn't play it and it took them a week and a half to get in touch with the ISP's to allow the traffic through.

The most amusing part was mentioning WoW. I mean...what the....

Hahahahahaha

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    Originally posted by Vannor

Last night it was down to try and hotfix the chat issues. Today it's down for patch 1.0.1, which they say has a complete fix for the chat problems and lots more minor fixes (based on test server nots if they are accurate).

If you read the launcher beofre you start the game you will have had a few days notice that all this was going to happen.

Just an FYI

CHAT

• Addressed an issue which could sometimes prevent players from using chat while the servers were under heavy load. We are aware that this fix will not resolve all of the current chat issues.

So far I have been lucky and haven't been affected by any of the downtime. I have played games where the time to fix always seemed to coincide with my days off and such. It can be a pain. But in the end it made the game better so I learned to accept it.

46&2

• MsengeMsenge Member Posts: 90
    Originally posted by Mrlogic

This is normal for most mmos after launch, Im expecting something similar when GW2 launches (I hope not) but it wouldnt surprise or annoy me.

Well, such down times are quite normal in other MMOs especially at launch, but I wouldn't lump GW2 in with that group...at least in terms of server down time.  ArenaNet rarely ever takes their servers down (they can patch without downtime).  Just looking at GW1 which over it's entire lifespan (over 7 years) has only been down about 32 hours.  While GW1 is most definitely not GW2, we have seen the updating/patching process for GW2 and it works in much the same way.  This is not to say GW2 servers will never be down for maintenance or emergencies.

So while I don't begrudge TSW it's server downtime around game launch, you cannot say that it's something that every MMO has.