Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Guild Wars 2 WILL be an EXTREMELY successful MMORPG

Syno23Syno23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,360

I've done some research on this game for the past few years and wasn't planning on buying it until a few days ago. And I'm doing it because I know truly in my heart that this game is going to be successful.

Remember the days when Blizzard created those AWESOME games. Those games that weren't for the money, but was to please gamers throughout the world. Well that Blizzard is gone, and ArenaNet; the company behind Guild Wars 2 is the most successful studio that came outta Blizzard.

So there's one: AreanaNet a studio formed from a very successful company; Blizzard

Number 2: The Guild Wars franchise as a whole as already sold more than 7 million copies. So let's do the math. Let's say that the game sold 1 million copies and raised 50 million dollars from those 1 million copies. Now, the game went on to sell more than 6 million copies TOTAL. So 1 million + 6 million is 7 million. So 6 million copies worth of revenue is 300 million dollars. In subscriber numbers that's 300 million divided by 15 dollars divided by 7 years. That's an average of 2 MILLION subscribers per year! 

And yes, I know box sales and expansions. So let's even say, 1.5 million subs. That's a successful MMO.

(Guild Wars sales source: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/NCsoft )

EDIT: Between 2009 and 2012 the series did sell another million copies.

Number 3: It doesn't compete with all the other MMOs out there. With each MMO that comes out that costs 15 dollars a month. Most people can only afford 2 MMOs at once per month. And others only pay for one. So if you play WoW you won't be playing other MMOs. But if you play other MMOs you won't be playing...you get the point.

Guild Wars 2 doesn't have to compete with that. Meaning that if it can WIN in the F2P market then it's already the WoW of F2P. Not that this game is going to be anything like WoW. Already the difference in revenue models is a good difference.

Number 4: The Guild Wars franchise is already a well known name. Why was Star Wars: The Old Republic so popular from the get go? Because Star Wars was well known. BioWare was well known. And together they created an EXTREMELY hyped game. Hopefully Guild Wars 2 does the same thing and it will instantly becaome successful.

Number 5: The bad economy. Most of us including me just don't have jobs. So we can't afford a 15 dollar a month subscriber fee. And if we can we'll only afford to play one game. So with Guild Wars 2. Those who can come up with the 60 dollars will be able to play a game that won't cost them anything FOREVER! Well until the servers shutdown. In a bad economy, saving isn't such a bad thing.

Comments

• Poison_AdelePoison_Adele Member CommonPosts: 287

All pretty valid points, though nothing particularily shocking or disputable. The post came off as a bit excited but it's still nice to read something that isn't gushing about the game itself and is more focused on the business behind the game.

I don't really want to put much thought into your math on money made but yeah, the original game made good money and is still pretty popular. It's pretty much not disputable at this point that the game is going to be very profitable, it already has been thanks to pre-purchases. 

I think people are more concerned about its longevity. Which is both a valid and pointless concern--I have no lack of faith that it will, like GW1, have a lot of longevity for those that really like the game. I also don't really care if other people stick with it nonstop for the next 5 years, because I don't have to pay a subscription and if the game retains at least as many players as Guild Wars 1 then it's going to be in good shape for any return or continuing players.

• Syno23Syno23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,360

I figured that there's so many gameplay and threads about the game that I'd mix it up a bit and talk about something different. But yeah, there's quite a bit of evidence pointing towards this game being a success. Both in the MMO market and the F2P market.

It's not a Free 2 Play game, fyi. I know from your post that you're aware of what the model is but F2P generally refers to "freemium" business models, not "buy the box and it's yours" models.

• BelarionBelarion Member Posts: 570

This thread about GW2 being a success is "mixing it up a bit"? No offense meant at all. But the only GW2 threads I see poping up are about how uber GW2 is and will be. Once we stop hyping a game up to high heaven, we might actually be well pleased with the game at launch. Untill then, we will always be wondering why the game isn't the "EXTREME success" we thought it would be.

Now. Wheres that crack rock?

I love snails.
    I love every kinda snail.
    I just want to hug them all, but I cant.
    Cant hug every snail.

Originally posted by Belarion

This thread about GW2 being a success is "mixing it up a bit"? No offense meant at all. But the only GW2 threads I see poping up are about how uber GW2 is and will be. Once we stop hyping a game up to high heaven, we might actually be well pleased with the game at launch. Untill then, we will always be wondering why the game isn't the "EXTREME success" we thought it would be.

That's a rather narrow point of view. While I agree with you in principle, discussing whether or not the game will be financially successful is not one of those topics, and is not hype.

It's really the major thing this site should be used to discuss--feasibility of specific MMORPGs in the long run. So shutting down any positive statement whatsoever, even when it's a good discussion topic, is not really a great idea on your part.

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

I think the popularity of the Guild Wars franchise is highly over-stated here. It's not even remotely close to being on a fraction of the level that Warcraft or Star Wars had. These two IPs brought in millions of non-mmo players to at least try out the game.

The rest are valid reasons to get excited. I don't know if I agree to the hype level that you're extending it to with the mid-sentence caps of the word extreme, but oh well. Just wish people would just wait for the game to come out without all the raving and world domination projections.

• IrusIrus Member Posts: 774

Those are all outer observations, I guess.

But I believe the thing that will ultimately make GW2 successful are its overall design direction and target audience.

• TorrmwyreTorrmwyre Member UncommonPosts: 66
    Originally posted by Comaf
    I'm very excited about it because it means more adults in Secret World and more youngins' in GW2.  And I'm not trying to hurt anyone's feelings here, I'm just saying that kids and folks who kind of think like kids (I have a few friends like this so don't take it personally) love cute characters and furry critter things in armor hopping around.  They love flashing colors and lots and lots of effects (like 4th of July in every pvp zone!).

Then there's the old crowd, i.e., Ultima, EQ, Dark Age of Camelot, Asheron's Call.  We love a more grounded mmorpg that is community rich and truly as believable as can be in regards to the sense of fantasy escapism provided.  GW2 is going to be a fun game for lots of folks.  I think they did a great job on making it a fun game.  But it's a game (an mmoVideo Game), not an mmoRPG.

So again, I'm glad the younger community has a place to have a blast :)

(Ducks behind a Charzar or whatever the furry guy is called in GW2 to avoid the flames!) 

The furry critters are called Charr and they would often rip humans limb from limb. Not trying to sound like a nerd or jerk or anything, but I seriously doubt you actually know what you're talking about. From your labels I can only assume you looked at some poorly accurate description and then proceeded to make a judgement about the game.

And I used to play UO and DAOC. While fun in their own right, they aren't as "hardcore" as you're making them sound. The point of a game is to have fun, and if you're only desire is to have a community and to be completely immersed in a fantasy setting, you might need help.

• BelarionBelarion Member Posts: 570
    Originally posted by Poison_Adele

That's a rather narrow point of view. While I agree with you in principle, discussing whether or not the game will be financially successful is not one of those topics, and is not hype.

It's really the major thing this site should be used to discuss--feasibility of specific MMORPGs in the long run. So shutting down any positive statement whatsoever, even when it's a good discussion topic, is not really a great idea on your part.

Sorry. :)  Not having the greatest night

I love snails.
    I love every kinda snail.
    I just want to hug them all, but I cant.
    Cant hug every snail.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Everyone has different reasons why they think GW2 will be a usccesfull MMO, and thats exactly the reason why it will be succesfull.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Originally posted by Poison_Adele

Sorry. :)  Not having the greatest night

Wait, what? You're not going to leap at my throat or anything?

Kudos to you, good sir. Kudos to you.

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686

You totally forgot to mention the content of the game itself which is arguably the biggest reason why it will be a success. If anyone thinks GW2 is going to be a flash in the pan then they must be living in some weird alternate reality from the rest of us.

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

Then there's the old crowd, i.e., Ultima, EQ, Dark Age of Camelot, Asheron's Call.  We love a more grounded mmorpg that is community rich and truly as believable as can be in regards to the sense of fantasy escapism provided.  GW2 is going to be a fun game for lots of folks.  I think they did a great job on making it a fun game.  But it's a game (an mmoVideo Game), not an mmoRPG.

Well lots of older gamers are going to play Guild Wars 2 because it is exactly what they were expecting from a game for YEARS and no game ever filled the gap, Guild Wars 2 does. It IS a game for the old crowd, where there is no hand-holding and emphasis on actual exploration.

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Syno23

I've done some research on this game for the past few years and wasn't planning on buying it until a few days ago. And I'm doing it because I know truly in my heart that this game is going to be successful.

Remember the days when Blizzard created those AWESOME games. Those games that weren't for the money, but was to please gamers throughout the world. Well that Blizzard is gone, and ArenaNet; the company behind Guild Wars 2 is the most successful studio that came outta Blizzard.

So there's one: AreanaNet a studio formed from a very successful company; Blizzard

Number 2: The Guild Wars franchise as a whole as already sold more than 7 million copies. So let's do the math. Let's say that the game sold 1 million copies and raised 50 million dollars from those 1 million copies. Now, the game went on to sell more than 6 million copies TOTAL. So 1 million + 6 million is 7 million. So 6 million copies worth of revenue is 300 million dollars. In subscriber numbers that's 300 million divided by 15 dollars divided by 7 years. That's an average of 2 MILLION subscribers per year! 

And yes, I know box sales and expansions. So let's even say, 1.5 million subs. That's a successful MMO.

Number 3: It doesn't compete with all the other MMOs out there. With each MMO that comes out that costs 15 dollars a month. Most people can only afford 2 MMOs at once per month. And others only pay for one. So if you play WoW you won't be playing other MMOs. But if you play other MMOs you won't be playing...you get the point.

Guild Wars 2 doesn't have to compete with that. Meaning that if it can WIN in the F2P market then it's already the WoW of F2P. Not that this game is going to be anything like WoW. Already the difference in revenue models is a good difference.

Number 4: The Guild Wars franchise is already a well known name. Why was Star Wars: The Old Republic so popular from the get go? Because Star Wars was well known. BioWare was well known. And together they created an EXTREMELY hyped game. Hopefully Guild Wars 2 does the same thing and it will instantly becaome successful.

Number 5: The bad economy. Most of us including me just don't have jobs. So we can't afford a 15 dollar a month subscriber fee. And if we can we'll only afford to play one game. So with Guild Wars 2. Those who can come up with the 60 dollars will be able to play a game that won't cost them anything FOREVER! Well until the servers shutdown. In a bad economy, saving isn't such a bad thing.

I'm very excited about it because it means more adults in Secret World and more youngins' in GW2.  And I'm not trying to hurt anyone's feelings here, I'm just saying that kids and folks who kind of think like kids (I have a few friends like this so don't take it personally) love cute characters and furry critter things in armor hopping around.  They love flashing colors and lots and lots of effects (like 4th of July in every pvp zone!).

So again, I'm glad the younger community has a place to have a blast :)

(Ducks behind a Charzar or whatever the furry guy is called in GW2 to avoid the flames!) 

YOu are not trying to insult people with your post? Well it comes across as very elitist, arrogant and exclusive.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

[mod edit]

I could literally name 20 people i personally know all over the age of 30 who will be playing GW2, most of which (including myself) played Ultima Online.  I only know 2 playing TSW and they're both going to dump it when GW2 comes out (not over it being a bad game, just to play with the rest of us).

i can say with great certainty by release i will know at least 20 more.

you are overgeneralizing and your comment is both not well thought out and completely unsubstantiated.  my rebuttal is anecdotal i know but i would really like to know where you are getting your demographics data!

[mod edit]

Originally posted by fivoroth

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

Nevermind cat calling the kettle black (the person who are quoting, not you).

GW2 has a very mature and deep setting and lore--but the person who wrote it hasn't bothered to do more than pass a glance and make a judgement.

I could say the same about TSW and ninjas, zombies, magic, katanas, guns, etc, etc. But I won't, because it's a stupidly cheap shot and I know the TSW story is deeper than that. 

[mod edit]

• MrlogicMrlogic Member Posts: 178

+1.. Interesting points OP :)

• StrangeEyesStrangeEyes Member Posts: 119

Number 1:That was when?...10years ago at least is it even valid then to make this point of ex-blizzard, i don't think so. There way beyond ex-blizzard they already proof themselfs succefull with complete different kind of mmo then blizzard one so NOT VALID at all mention ex-blizzard.

Number2:Becouse Guild Wars 2 is totally different mmo then Guild Wars 1plus those numbers about how many they sold say nothing at all history proofed that over and over again its no guarenteed succes. It only maybe helps a little but can also works agains them that old GW1 players maybe don't like GW2 at all(AC1 vs AC2 for example).
     So number 2 also not realy relevant.

Number3:Compare it constantly to WoW is REDICULOUS Guild Wars 2 is very different from WoW and in my opinion alot more innovative then WoW ever was. Any MMO always compete with all other MMO;S for B2P or P2P nomatter what SO NUMBER 3 is also NO VALID POINT.

Number4:SWTOR rather failed and a well known IP is NO GUARENTEED SUCCES eather(AoC-WAR 2 examples proof your point wrong). Hype many times works agains succes many times then help so again your point here NUMBER4 is NO GUARENTEED for SUCCES.

Number5:I don't bother discus it make no sense at all and silly in my humble opinion.

Guild Wars 2 is very good game and i realy hope it will do well but future will tell if its succeful to many unsurten varibles that can go eather lead to succes or failor.

If you suddenly become fan of GW2 just make topic and say im now fan and hope it will do well next time ok:)

CPU:Intel Core i7-3770K 4GHz
    GPU:ASUS HD 7970 DirectCU II TOP
    MB:ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE
    Case:Cooler Master HAF X
    RAM:Corsair 16GB 1600
    PSU:Corsair gold 850
    HD:SSD OCZ 256 GB vertex4

• liva98989liva98989 Member UncommonPosts: 252

I would still play it even if it didn't get extremely successful :3

• wasim470wasim470 Member Posts: 243

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

You ask me for proof?
    Sure, go have a look at GW1 community, how helpful and socialized they are.

[mod edit]
    the thing you didn't understand that the game is what really makes the community the way it is, the game either goes around social aspects, help each other and have fun kind of mentality or it will encourage ppl to get used of the Idea of a player being your first enemy.

[mod edit]

so am sure that GW2 will developed one of the Best communities in Online gaming, u ask why ? simply because the game encourage it.

{ Edited : the first line was missing :) }

• StrangeEyesStrangeEyes Member Posts: 119
    I[mod edit]

CPU:Intel Core i7-3770K 4GHz
    GPU:ASUS HD 7970 DirectCU II TOP
    MB:ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE
    Case:Cooler Master HAF X
    RAM:Corsair 16GB 1600
    PSU:Corsair gold 850
    HD:SSD OCZ 256 GB vertex4

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498

I was still on the fence about buying GW2 but I've thrown so much money at "Failware and Blizztard" that I might as well give someone else a shot, if only to ensure competition survives.

• PJonePJone Member Posts: 63
    Originally posted by Trionicus

I was still on the fence about buying GW2 but I've thrown so much money atI[mod edit]I might as well give someone else a shot, if only to ensure competition survives.

While not a particularly sound decision (at least not economically speaking), it is logically a good decision, and a decision I personally feel you will not regret; just make sure to throw out all previous conceptions about what an MMO is/should be, if you don't, you will probably be upset or find yourself complaining about why it is not a re-skinned version of WoW. I will admit, 3 years ago when they first debuted the Zhaitan footage from GamesCon (and I was up to my chin in WoW fanboy-ism) I was charging headfirst screaming "shitty, lame-ass, no skill required, zerg game."

Well, I've since grown up, dropped the naive outlooks, and actually did what any college educated (or even high school educated) person should've done in the first place, and that is critically looked at the game all from an un-biased, purely information based perspective. When I did that about 9-10 months ago, although rather skeptical, I decided I would reserve judgment and give it the benefit of the doubt. I believe if more people took this approach, we'd have a lot less hate flying around these forums and better games in the future because of the positive reception of this genre-redefining game.

Guild Wars 2 is a new kind of MMO, hell, it's a new kind of game in general if you want my honest opinion. This is the direction the genre should have been moving towards years ago, and it's about damn time some serious out-of-the-box game design is hitting this stagnated to hell genre. I wonder if Blizzard is holding back on Titan to see if they need to redesign it (oh who am I kidding? We all know Blizzard never intended to make "Titan" anytime soon, it'll be the MMO version of SC2 and D3. Something they release on the verge of everyone forgetting about the previous games to sucker people into giving them more money).

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

I[mod edit]

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893

I Know TSW has curse words, blood and drugs and stuff but Adult? It's Buffy/Angel online. Every one looks about the same age as the scooby gang. Don't get me wrong I think it's a great game and truely something different but don't play the kid/adult card here.  GW2 will have its share of player across the social spectrum same as TSW.

OP I kind of agree with you even if you do sound a bit to happy. I have no idea how the numbers will stack up but I can see GW2 going from strength to strength down to the simple fact that anyone playing an MMO can  play GW2 at the same time as it won't cost after the initial buy. That , for me at least, takes a load of pressure off me to rush through it to see if I get my money's worth. 

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.