Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

F2P Changes UPDATED: Devs listened to player feedback

The F2P matrix was updated today after heated, negative debate from the playerbase.  This is a much better deal than before and alleviates some of the harsher restrictions seen in its first incarnation. 

http://forums.station.sony.com/vg/posts/list.m?topic_id=57701

Comments

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

Now that is a hell of alot better.  Good Job.

BOOYAKA!

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

WOW I am definitely impressed that they changed it so much.  I really, really like the changes they made to it.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

great news. no excuse now not to at least *try* the game out.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

"considering changing"

"ideas we are discussing"

Is the subject not misleading?  I mean they will likely do it but still the matrix has not been updated..

I hope they do.  I now know what I will be playing if that is the case. . and I would likely sub after a few months so they win that way as well.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

A nice start.  But when I quit was when they killed the 2 faction server, which had lent so much lore to the game.

I mean as a paladin, would you really be grouping with a goblin?  I grew up in AD&D and Dark Age of Camelot so I am a tad spoiled.

If they bring back the 2 faction server - I know about 20 folks who will sub overnight (sorry GW2 lol).

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Much better!

I would definitely come back and play with those changes.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Nice! 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• sri_rishabhsri_rishabh Member Posts: 56

These are really nice changes and IMO nothign more can be asked more for FTP from mtrix point of view

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

If they go with the gear limitation change, that alone is enough to get my to try the game again.

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662

Good job SoE, first time ever listening to players. Those changes were needed Thanks!

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Muuuch better. I don't mind paying the higher fees, with the influx of free players having a nice money sink will be helpful. This will give people like me a chance to get elbow-deep in the game and see if we like it enough to dedicate time to it and eventually a sub fee. I'm now looking forward to trying the game past fans raved about.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• IngvarIngvar Member UncommonPosts: 193
    Originally posted by InFlamestwo

Good job SoE, first time ever listening to players. Those changes were needed Thanks!

Well SoE Planetside 2 team listens to the players alot and have made changes based on the feedback (even if non of us have played it yet).

Anyway, this is a much better deal than before, in particular the chat system. In EQ2 its just so annoying that you can't talk to anyone...

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689

eq2 f2p transition was a nightmare.

vg is looking to be heading the right direction. ill probably give it another go too. first time since 30 days after launch!

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• JimyHumuHumuJimyHumuHumu Member UncommonPosts: 251

wow, that was unexpected :=) Kudos to vg team and soe for listening to all the (negative mostly i bet?) feedback.

only thing id be careful with is free mail usage, in case goldspammer bots return, so maybe they could up lvl req a bit. 

either way, definitely going to give it a shot now, most likely subscribe after some time too. and i hope im not the only one :)

• calzerocalzero Member UncommonPosts: 44

The horrible thing about Vanguard for me, is still going to be the trial service they have been running for the past few years. That coupled with massive server merges getting a decent character name is non exsistant. Every few months I go back to Vanguard to check it out make a trial account and create a character, takes longer to get a name thats not jskjakldjskfj, to work than it does to DL the game. For alot of people that do go back dont be surprised if you log into your old account that is now F2P only to be presented with a forced name change because there are 5 other characters named that on other accounts.

I would love to see a full character wipe of all characters still on the trial island. Since those characters are not anything that cant be rerolled in a few hours, and anyone who just had low level bank alts would have moved there characters to the real content so would be exempt from the wipe.

With the F2P model I would love to come back but I would also like to reroll and do it all over again. Without a wipe of some kind I would think twice before going back.

• liquescentliquescent Member UncommonPosts: 145

This is a step in the right direction.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Personally, I couldnt care less. Either I pay for playing Vanguard, or I dont play it at all. But for f2p players, these changes are certainly nice.

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

I really cant see me wanting to play VG again even after f2p

Each time I go and try it again it seems to get more dusty, more old and more clunky.

Compared to the wave of AAA free to play titles out there now just cant see why VG would take off.

At the time this was an amazing MMO,  but now its an example of a festering wounded mmo that should be put out of its misery xD

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    Originally posted by sadeyx

Each time I go and try it again it seems to get more dusty, more old and more clunky.

Compared to the wave of AAA free to play titles out there now just cant see why VG would take off.

At the time this was an amazing MMO,  but now its an example of a festering wounded mmo that should be put out of its misery xD

Oh, I don't think it will take off.

but the more I see mmo's get their litany of complaints, shrink and then maintain over years the more I believe that most mmo's are really made for specirid audiences and should be smaller.

Since Vanugard is very different from many mmo's with it's huge world and multiple open (and in many cases large) dungeons, I can definitely see it's core audience expanding.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • dazedconfusedazedconfuse Member Posts: 67
    This is a big step in the right direction.
  • friednietzfriednietz Member Posts: 118

I'm interested now. Very interested.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by sadeyx

Oh, I don't think it will take off.

but the more I see mmo's get their litany of complaints, shrink and then maintain over years the more I believe that most mmo's are really made for specirid audiences and should be smaller.

Since Vanugard is very different from many mmo's with it's huge world and multiple open (and in many cases large) dungeons, I can definitely see it's core audience expanding.

Whole heartedly agree

Vanguard is a deep game and it looks like SOE is going to put a decent effert into the FTP relaunch. It will definatley fill a niche thats been lacking.

Many people will enjoy this game, there is lots to enjoy

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581
    Now hopefully they will put in some effort for marketing

RIP Orc Choppa

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

ive been trying to goto the link but i guess the site is down

• KilsinKilsin Member RarePosts: 515
    Originally posted by Nadia

ive been trying to goto the link but i guess the site is down

I am able to log into the Vanguard forums, maybe try again in a little while, the forums are a mess and always bug out, a new one is on the way soon we have been told.