Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is TSW the best MMO ever made?

Comments

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by Maitrader
    Well if thats the case, then mmos as games all fail. Do not sit her and tell me GW2 combat will be any different lol. You do the same there as you do here.. choose skills you want to use (deck) and finger spam them to win

I'll be the one to say gw2 combat is much better than tsw, just being honest. I am loving tsw and have been playing alot, just about finished with egypt. It might be the best mmo or not its still to early to judge imo but the combat system is pretty bad. The dodge only works for aoe's most of the time which can usually just be walked out of. You take damage when enemies are no where near touching you. I have been hit by projectiles through walls and even metal shipping containers while I am being told I dont have line of sight. Attacking from high ground with a rifle I am told I dont  have line of sight when the mob is right there center screen and well in range. Many times my attacks have chosen to not work leading to my death and the walk of shame. Just a few issues I have not suffered in gw2. I think this game is pretty dam good, a soft 8 but the combat is what brings it down. If this game had better combat maybe.....

• WahrHeitWahrHeit Member UncommonPosts: 57

Im mostly a PvP Player

I already ended the main history and im full ql10.

The atmosphere and lore its amazing...The pvp its a fail...But hey its not worst than SWTOR it some parts.

Fusang its better than ilum, But the warzones are better than El dorado or stonehedge...Also the queue for those are way to high IMO(in some timezones).

As for pvp combat the worst thing its the silence, Only a few classes got it and sometimes last for 5s you cant break it...and you can surely die even in 2 sec lol.

Stun its fine because you can break it.

So the pvp its kinda sad...but as for pve im happy, i hope i wont end nightmare modes too fast.

But i think im starting to hate cutscenes in MMO...i feel its not the way to make the games...i dont wanna have fucking cutscenes everytime...i want to see things happening in real...not in boring cutscenes....Because im sure they are amazing...but after some time it gets boring and tired

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555
    Originally posted by Sorrow

I was a HUGE fan of TSW, but I find myself getting more and more annoyed and angry about the game every day.

Honestly the state of the game as far as bugs and broken quests go has totally destroyed any sense of immersion for me. Have you ever played in an MMO launch before? From what I hear TSW has gone much smoother than most.

The lack of some very BASIC game features like a cross server LFG tool that is so common in today's games makes me feel the game is not worthy of my loyalty or time. In my day we had conversations with other players, and used those conversations to find suitable partners for content. We were a bit more selective in who we grouped with, and we actually stuck together for more than one dungeon usually.

After the 5th broken quest in a row today and begging for new dimensions I finally logged off and said screw it gonna go play some POS Korean F2P for a few hours because it is more enjoyable. Now you are just trolling. You obviously didn't bother to try to get these bugged quests fixed by customer service. Everyone I have heard from has had no problem getting things worked out in a timely fashion. Let me guess it was bugged so you just moved onto the next one?

Get off your ass Funcom and get this crap fixed before Aug 25th or your done end of story. Maybe you are just better suited for a themepark fantasy setting game with more generic features. 

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• NavyJackalNavyJackal Member Posts: 82
    Originally posted by I_Return
    Originally posted by Teala

im color blind :(

I must be too, I can't make heads or tails out of it.  What is it supposed to be?

• DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594

Nope...

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by NavyJackal

I must be too, I can't make heads or tails out of it.  What is it supposed to be?

Even backed clear into the kitchen (to get far enough away from the monitor)...nope, still doesn't look like anything.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488

Are you blind (excluding the colour blind guy)?

It's a facepalm.

TSW is very far from the best MMO ever made.

Originally posted by Icewhite

Even backed clear into the kitchen (to get far enough away from the monitor)...nope, still doesn't look like anything.

I don't get it, seems like a serious fail on Teala's part...

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    Originally posted by laserit

Why do we even go here?

ps. I really like the game

Well, personally, I don't have my copy yet.

But I agree.. This is a harsh world for someone enjoying a game.  But, it's entertaining all the same.  =)

EDIT: As for Teala's pic, it's the classic Picard facepalm.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by GamerUntouch

Are you blind (excluding the colour blind guy)?

Oh..the Picard one.

Hadda be there I guess.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• s1fu71s1fu71 Member Posts: 220

I've not played every MMO ever made. So, I can't make or support a claim that TSW is the best made to date.

I started with UO for a little less than a year. Then, I moved on to EQ and played til POP. I've tried WOW (til WotLK), LoTR(about 3 months), AoC (about 4 or 5 months), DCUO (still playing), EQ2 (1 week), Eve (still playing), STO (about 1 month), Champions (maybe 2 months), CoH (about 2 years), GW1 (maybe 3 months), Vendetta (for 2 or 3 months), AO (2 weeks)....you get the idea.

Most games didn't hold my attention long. And the games that I didn't play for long weren't "bad" games. For whatever reason, they simply didn't hold my attention. In most cases, it's been so long that I can't remember why I didn't stay.

TSW, to date, is the most interesting to me. I enjoy having to think. I look forward to playing for quite some time and trying things I've not done yet. It's been quite a while since I've been able to say, "I'm playing an MMO and having a blast again."

My brother played a lot of the games I've mentioned above, with me. He tried TSW during open beta with me and felt it was, "meh." It just wasn't the game he was waiting for.

So, while it's been a very long time since I've enjoyed myself in an MMO, I definitely wouldn't call it the best MMO out.

To each, their own...

It's not about fighting, it's about balance. It's not about enlightenment, it's about balance. It's not about balance.

• IrusIrus Member Posts: 774

It's Cpt. Picard facepalming.

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

I can't say that The Secret World is the best MMO ever made. The combat alone and some of the animations keep this title from reaching this point easily.

It's a good game not the best; not the worst, but trying to lable it as the best seems a little overzealous..

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

MMOs are games, games are considered art, and art is completely subjective. This MMO might be the best MMO ever made to you, but it likely isn't for a lot of others.

Originally posted by Irus

It's Cpt. Picard facepalming.

Ooooooh I see it now...Would have been easier just to post the pic of Picard's facepalm I think...That would have had a much more profound impact than the collage of pictures which was more confusing to me than anything. 

• nGumballnGumball Member Posts: 21

Well, as a worker in the MMO-industry for years, I can´t really call '' any '' game for the best MMO ever made. Even so, there is actualy something you can do to rate different games and you do it by rating different aspects. You can´t, on the other hand, rate a game as the best ever made just because you enjoy it! We, old MMO-gamers, usually enjoy different games but times change and so do ur opinion. 

I can consider TSW, as one of the most interesting MMOs out there. Unique, great and I really enjoy playing it right now. However, to reach the place as the '' best MMO ever made '' or even near that, you need to make a revolution in the genre. One game that can be something like that in the near future GW2, It is only in BETA and there´s much more to see, but its position is much better than the TSW´s to be the '' best '', if there is even something like that.

Years ago, WoW became the revolution when it was first released and anyone saying that WoW didn´t reach that point, is actually '' wrong '' nd prob don´t know much about what happened to the MMO-industry when WoW was released. Don´t get me wrong though, I don´t say that WoW is the '' original '' MMO-style nor that it is the one that never copied others, but I am saying that Blizzard did the whole thing well back 8 years ago.

We just have to wait and see. None can really see into the future and everything can happen. However comparing TSW '' NOW '' with games that are released now / will be released soon, it is kinda hard to imagine it taking the first spot. Otherwise, it is a really great game and I wanna send a big '' CONGRATZ '' to funcorn for this great work :)

• TerronteTerronte Member Posts: 321

TSW is good as a single/multiplayer puzzle questy game. MMO, not so much. PvP is balls. Crafting is balls. No in game economy is balls. Combat is subjective. Storytelling is decent. Questing varies from good to great.

A lot of people that played Fallen Earth thought it was the bees knees. Really they just wanted a post-apoc game, and it was the only thing available so they sold themselves on it. I think TSW is a decent game, but if you planted the same mechanics and storytelling in a fantasy world people would be like...LoLz wow-clone with gimmicks.

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

How can anyone answer this? Isn't it personal taste?

And if the best one already exists, wouldn't everyone still be playing  "the best MMO ever made", rather than always looking for the next one?

• BrotherDBrotherD Member Posts: 52

No TSW is yet another average modern MMO in a long list of average modern MMO's. The combat and PvP is the worst i have ever seen in a MMO. There is to many difficulty spikes which gives a very frustrating gameplay. The crafting follows all modern MMO's in being extremly basic. The exploration is very limited because 80 % of all exploration objects you will get just by questing. Graphics are great and atmosphere is great and story some of the best i have seen in a MMO. Chat-system is the worst i have seen in 7-8 years. No auction system or LFG system at launch is just...game developers get a clue.

So TSW is all in all an average MMO.

Currently playing: AoC, RIFT, Champions Online, DDO, LORTO, STO and Tribes: Ascend
    Have Played: TSW, SWG, AO, EVE, WOW, EQ, EQ2, SW:TOR, GW,CoH, DCUO, RotMG, WAR,

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

Yes! The only true MMO in 10yrs to top it off. Nothing else can touch it this year for being a MMO.

• gaugemewgaugemew Member Posts: 158

target monster, start hitting number keys

Yup, this is pretty much standard mmo.  Maybe 1% of the game is original (investigation)

Best MMO it is not, heck it's probaly not even going to be the best mmo this year.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    No

I like it. I find the pve the most enjoyable I've played, but having said that I'm not a hardcore pveer I hate raid grinding, so perhaps I'm not the best judge.

But I don't see it as a long term game I can play non stop for years though, for that a game has to be a sandbox like eve or a themepark with a robust pvp system like daoc to keep my interest long term.

It's fun while "leveling" though and the pvp is somewhat better than typical themepark pvp. I also like how its not a heavy gear progression based game, much like gw2, I always found EQ / diablo / wow skinner box mechanics distasteful.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

My first beta weekend I went pistols and I did not like the game.

My second beta weekend I went swords and I started to really like the game.

Now that it has launched and I finished Kindsmouth, I see it as an average single-player MMO much like SWTOR.  The crafting and PvP are nothing special, the animations and character customization is weak at best (yes I know they will be addressing this soon).  The 500+ skill stuff is really just marketing speak since many of the skills in the same area are almost identical based on descriptions.  In the sword tree I can show you 7 different single target attacks that do the exact same amount of damage and build one resource.  There are near identical skills to this in most other trees as well. 

I do find the questing to be unique and the environment is cool and I think that is what has grabbed most peoples attention.  I think in another two or three months you will see a lot less talk about this game.  I'm not saying the game will die, I'm just saying the newness will be wearing off in another month or two for most people just like it did in TOR.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Oh I don't get the combat comments, especially the "gw2 guy" saying you can just stand there and spam a rotation. No you can't, you have to move, if you stand and spam you will die, lots. Another reason why I probably find the pve in this more enjoyable than any other mmo I've played, you kinda have to pvp the mobs.
  • JohnnymmoJohnnymmo Member Posts: 99
    Its way 2 early to tell. Its a great game. I am playing this and gw 2 when thats out. Get my pvp kicks from gw2 and the immersion from tsw.
This discussion has been closed.