Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Elder Scrolls Online: Giving It that Elder Scrolls Feel

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Elder Scrolls Online has generated a metric ton of conversation here and around the web. One of the questions that comes up frequently is "What does ESO have to do to make it more Elder Scrolls-ish?" In today's column, we examine the factors that we think must be included. See if you agree!

With Zenimax Online neck deep in development of Elder Scrolls Online, all has been quiet on the Eastern front of video games. With a large presence at E3 and now moving quietly into July the game looms like a shadow of the MMO space for 2013. We are very excited to see what the team has in store for the next year as announcements start to come out. However, there is one thing very important to remember, the MMO needs to be sure some major Elder Scrolls elements are worked into the game. Let’s look at a few things that are necessary to making Elder Scrolls great.

Read more of Garrett Fuller's The Elder Scrolls Online: Giving It that Elder Scrolls Feel.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Asuran24Asuran24 Member Posts: 517

Loving the look of this game, i like the idea of being able to actually explore all of the Elder score areas not just the ne you are playing in that game. I do not like the idea of race-locked factions, though i can deal with that, as long as they keep the feel and combat very much like the elder scroll series, with maybe more types of attacking with different weapons.

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

I'm a massive, massive fan of TES and played them all since morrowind, in fact I'd go as far as to say it's my favourite game series of all time without question.

I hope they don't mess this up as I'm looking to this game as being my main MMO for years to come when it launches.

• BeermanglerBeermangler Member UncommonPosts: 402

I love every concept of this game besides factions. ESO doesn't really need factions. All it needed was freedom of choice - like remaining neutral.

Better to be crazy, provided you know what sane is...

• JoreelJoreel Member UncommonPosts: 148

I remember the First Elder Scroll game Arena, it was groundbreaking and set a new standard for pc games... now we will have an Elder Scroll MMO game that do the same for MMO's. I can't wait to see how simply awesome it will be. I would however love to know what they think the Sys Req will be. Hopefully they won't make them so high that they alienate most of the pc gamers out there... 

• busdriverbusdriver Member Posts: 859

-Tab targeting
    -Instancing
    -Zones
    -Completely soloable main story
    -No housing because "it's too hard to implement"
    -Forced classes (& levels)
    -A magical radar pointing out points of interests (how is that exploring?)
    -Fast travel
    -No first person view
    -Max 100 vs 100

Sounds like we have a real gem here.

I hope their servers catch some virus that wipes this POS from wasting perfectly good 0's and 1's.

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by busdriver

-Tab targeting
    -Instancing
    -Zones
    -Fast travel
    -No first person view
    -Max 100 vs 100 Sounds like we have a real gem here. I hope their servers catch some virus that wipes this POS from wasting perfectly good 0's and 1's.

relax LOL, its really not that serious

• gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

have not been following this all that closely as i wasn't holding out a lot of hope for it

but - no housing - that's just nuts

on IGNORE

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Everything I enjoy about Tamriel will be ruined by the guy(s) bunny hopping next to the mailboxes.

• KilsinKilsin Member RarePosts: 515
    Originally posted by Coolit

I'm a massive, massive fan of TES and played them all since morrowind, in fact I'd go as far as to say it's my favourite game series of all time without question.

I hope they don't mess this up as I'm looking to this game as being my main MMO for years to come when it launches.

I'm in the same boat as you and am a massive TES fan and slightly nervous about what ZeniMax will do with this game, I have everything crossed that it will turn out a pure awesome MMO but history has told me that what I usually want in an MMO and what I usually get, are two very different things indeed :(

I will continue to hold onto my hopes for this one, I really hope it delivers :)

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

What's "Marlyand"?

• ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381

-Tab targeting
    -Instancing
    -Zones
    -Fast travel
    -No first person view
    -Max 100 vs 100

I hope their servers catch some virus that wipes this POS from wasting perfectly good 0's and 1's.

This pretty much sums up my feelings exactly. Im not going to let Marketing and PR dictate my gaming choices ever again.

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Teso has to have the TES combat or is not a TES game, that's as simple as that.
    I don't mind making the UI more MMO friendly, but the combat has to be FPS or the game will be doomed.
    Everyone who will try TES MMO with the WOW combat will think, "Hang on this is not Skyrim".
    As much as Zenimax hope that this won't happen, unfortunately almost everyone who played TES game will think the same.

• ObehiObehi Member Posts: 1

You forgot one essential element of just about every other ES game:  Player housing.  Many MMOs have it, and there is no reason this one can't, either.  EQ2-style would be best.

• 3-4thElf3-4thElf Member Posts: 489

I have no hope that this game will be an Elder Scrolls game of note.

I really hope Zeni pulls it for something more interesting. I'd rather see a 4 player addon to Skyrim be TES' approach to multiplayer before this crap.

It'll have WoW combat, and like their Game Informer article said, their excuse will be that everyone else is doing it. 

Sad day for RPGs.

a yo ho ho

• Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365
    If persons are wishing the feel or atmosphere to carry over to this, I feel they will be disappointed..

On that note, I think its best to approach this adaptation with open mind and see where it takes us..

Im looking forward to this and hope these guys can at least get 70% of these elder scroll stuff in..
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395

Elements that make ESO easier to develop are also elements that are not traditional to the Elder Scrolls.   The race locking and the no-player-housing are already examples of this. The Procrustean Bed of their development efforts will eventually cut off so much of what is traditional to the Elder Scrolls universe that it can't help but draw a lot of negative reactions.  

I wouldn't want to be on the team trying to produce this.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• BigCountryBigCountry Member Posts: 478
    Originally posted by ZigZags

-Tab targeting
    -Instancing
    -Zones
    -Fast travel
    -No first person view
    -Max 100 vs 100

This pretty much sums up my feelings exactly. Im not going to let Marketing and PR dictate my gaming choices ever again.

haha indeed.

This game is doomed.

BigCountry | Head Hunters | www.wefarmpeople.com

• crack_foxcrack_fox Member UncommonPosts: 399

One of own favourite features of the TES series has always been the ability to customize the appearance of my character in great detail. Is it too much to hope that ESO will have more than the usual Mr Potato-Head style customization options that recent 'AAA' releases have offered? I don't want my Khajiit to look like 8 out of 10 of all the other cats, if you know what I mean. 

Originally posted by Darrgen
    Originally posted by 3-4thElf

I really hope Zeni pulls it for something more interesting. I'd rather see a 4 player addon to Skyrim be TES' approach to multiplayer before this crap.

It'll have WoW combat, and like their Game Informer article said, their excuse will be that everyone else is doing it. 

Sad day for RPGs.

[mod edit]

The only haters are the ones who don't give a fuck about developers killing an awesome IP like TES, and whover accept that the standard of today MMO should be applied to the TES IP just because everyone do the same.

Whether TESO combat will be like WoW or similar to WoW, doesn't make a lot of difference.

TESO should have TES combat, which is its distinctive trait together with exploration.

If Zenimax wants to make a cool generic MMO I have nothing against it, I might even buy it, just don't call it TES though.

But if they make another generic MMO with the TES badge I won't buy it.

Unlike what Matt Firor thinks people actually wants Skyrim Online, not WoW with the TES badge............

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797

-Tab targeting
    -Instancing
    -Zones
    -Fast travel
    -No first person view
    -Max 100 vs 100

I'll give you one more. MOB drops for multiple players. That means that if a drop includes MATs, there is no thought to the consequences to the economy.

"Quick, everyone one-hit that low level MOB all at once!" :lol

Once upon a time....

• GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488

You cannot get the Elder Scrolls feel out of an MMO.

No matter how hard you try.

• DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594

-Tab targeting
    -Instancing
    -Zones
    -Fast travel
    -No first person view
    -Max 100 vs 100

Uhh... what is wrong with 100 vs 100 pvp?  I have never seen pvp or even raids with 100 players.  I have seen 70 - 80 players but that had been a very very long time.  100 vs 100 is WAY better then the 10-20 crap we have been getting. 

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

Originally posted by Amaranthar

I'll give you one more. MOB drops for multiple players. That means that if a drop includes MATs, there is no thought to the consequences to the economy.

"Quick, everyone one-hit that low level MOB all at once!" :lol

I loled

But honestly, I should be crying.

Originally posted by GamerUntouch

You cannot get the Elder Scrolls feel out of an MMO.

No matter how hard you try.

I disagree.

You won't get the "hero" feel of the TES games, but you can easily get the TES overall feel in a MMO as long as you copy all the key elements of TES rather than copy WOW or, worse, the SWTOR ones.

Exploration, total freedom in class building and leveling approach (non linear), great crafting, housing and FPS combat, that's what makes a game a TES game.

Of those elements only one (exploration) is mentioned by the developers as an important feature of TES Online, not enough to label it a TES game IMO

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650
    Originally posted by ste2000
    Originally posted by Darrgen
    Originally posted by 3-4thElf

Sad day for RPGs.

[mod edit]

The only haters are the ones who don't give a fuck about developers killing an awesome IP like TES, and whover accept that the standard of today MMO should be applied to the TES IP just because everyone do the same.

Whether TESO combat will be like WoW or similar to WoW, doesn't make a lot of difference.

TESO should have TES combat, which is its distinctive trait together with exploration.

If Zenimax wants to make a cool generic MMO I have nothing against it, I might even buy it, just don't call it TES though.

But if they make another generic MMO with the TES badge I won't buy it.

Unlike what Matt Firor thinks people actually wants Skyrim Online, not WoW with the TES badge............

I disagree completely.

I wouldn't play TES:O if it had Skyrim combat. I may try it, but I doubt it.

If you've followed TES:O you know they aren't just skinning WoW and placing a TES tag on it. Stop riding the hate-wagon and try listening to the developers talk, maybe try acting like it is just another MMORPG and it doesn't have TES tagged on it?

I don't want to see Skyrim Online. My friends who i've played DAoC with since late '05 don't want Skyrim combat either. 

I'm just asking, but in an MMO setting wouldn't that be like DarkFall? FPS twitch stuff? I just don't see how Skyrim's combat would even work, i hated it so much for the PC i bought it for Xbox. 

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.