Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

is the secret world worth 15 dollars a month?

madnessman13madnessman13 Member UncommonPosts: 91

like the title says is the secret world worth 15 dollars a month? its a simple question, my friend says no, i want to say yes, I just need some other input here. if it is in fact worth my coin then why is it worth it?

madnessman

Comments

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

I would listen to your friend the game is not worth 5.99 a month let alone 15... just saying.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• blackhawkzzblackhawkzz Member Posts: 53

I'd personally say yes until you stop having fun. I lifetime subbed after 3 months in closed beta. The game is the freshest thing i've played since eve online.

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019

Currently it is worth the box price, in order to say if its worth paying monthly I need to get past the first month so until that happens theres no real way to decide if it's worth it for me yet.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

having had 50+ hours of fun so far, the game was worth the $50 boxprice for sure.

As long as the game is fun to me, it will be worth the $15 a month,  however i must say there is this other game soon releasing getting intoo my head more and more every day.

Personally, i hope in the future, that MMO´s will either have a monthly sub or a boxprice and not both... Several games have passed my door in recent days for having both and not being convincing enough during free trials and beta tests.  I missed Rift and Tera releases. Tough i played Rift a few months after release, when i bought it on steam for $13 including a month of subscription.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Entris38Entris38 Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Originally posted by madnessman13

like the title says is the secret world worth 15 dollars a month? its a simple question, my friend says no, i want to say yes, I just need some other input here. if it is in fact worth my coin then why is it worth it?

The game could be worth 1 dollar/month or 50 dollars/month. That is all up to yourself. I 'm not being rude, but do other people opinions really matter? I'm not a F2P pusher being an MMO is far cheaper than other activities in this world and 15/month is well worth the value if you enjoy something.

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

I have been playing since release and I would say yes without a doubt. I can point to the skill system alone as reason to log on and explore. Having no classes, you can really experiment with the different builds and play the character how you want. I have had more fun just making different builds then I had combined in 6 months of Tera and TOR.

On to questing.. I'm having a blast being challenged by some of these quest. They feel dynamic as you find them around towns and areas and not in giant quest hubs. The story line is engaging and encourages exploration. There are a lot of puzzle aspects to quest, along with the normal, kill 10 zombie etc. quest. 

PvP has also been really fun for me. Fusang is always open and persistant and capturing facilities and holding them (that actually give your faction bonuses to xp etc) gives some meaning to the pvp. 

Anyway, I say it's surely worth at least one month of your time. Let me know, as I think I have a buddy key I can send ya. This game feels a lot different then the crap I have played lately. Just my opinion though.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by SlickShoes

Currently it is worth the box price, in order to say if its worth paying monthly I need to get past the first month so until that happens theres no real way to decide if it's worth it for me yet.

+1.

This basically.  So far it's a great game that I'm having a lot of fun in.  At the end of my first month, I'll decide whether I want to buy a 2nd month.  It's not like i'm required to sign a contract in blood or anything.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• hardiconhardicon Member UncommonPosts: 335

what do you mean is it worth it.  is the game fun enough to be worth 15 bucks a month.  I would say yes.  Is there enough content to keep you busy for multi months.  I dont really know because I havent seen it all, but I would say yes at this moment.

To me the game is worth the 15 a month.  I am playing it and enjoying it and to me its different enough from all other themepark mmos to get my money.  to me this game feels like sandox with quest and without the annoying parts.

• charlespaynecharlespayne Member UncommonPosts: 381

Id be happy paying 20 a month.

Originally posted by Entris38

The game could be worth 1 dollar/month or 50 dollars/month. That is all up to yourself. I 'm not being rude, but do other people opinions really matter? I'm not a F2P pusher being an MMO is far cheaper than other activities in this world and 15/month is well worth the value if you enjoy something.

I look at it the same way. I keep hearing folks bitch about $15 a month, but really... think of it... that breaks down to about $2 a day on average. I spend $4 for my lattes at Starbucks...lol. Not trying to be a dick, ,but if $15 a month is make or break for you... you should not be playing games in the first place as you need a second job. 

Going to a movie here in the U.S will cost you about $10 a ticket... $15 for 3d (gotta go 3d). This doesn't include the $27.50 you're gonna spend at the snack bar. Basically, you skip one movie in the  theatre or about 3 rentals, skip a few coffees, skip a drink or two or a fast food meal, etc and you have paid your $15 bucks. Sorry for the rant, just sayin, if you stop and think about it, you probably easily blow more then $15 a month on bullshit. I know I do. 

• blackhawkzzblackhawkzz Member Posts: 53

It's actually 50 cents a day $15/30 days but its even cheaper if you pay for more months in advance such as 3 months, 6months, 12months can't see those prices with a lifetime sub but i know its cheaper.

• gaugemewgaugemew Member Posts: 158

Is less interesting than some F2P games IMO.  So I would say no.  And did by unsubscribing lol.

Originally posted by Praetalus

I look at it the same way. I keep hearing folks bitch about $15 a month, but really... think of it... that breaks down to about $2 a day on average. I spend $4 for my lattes at Starbucks...lol. Not trying to be a dick, ,but if $15 a month is make or break for you... you should not be playing games in the first place as you need a second job. 

Going to a movie here in the U.S will cost you about $10 a ticket... $15 for 3d (gotta go 3d). This doesn't include the $27.50 you're gonna spend at the snack bar. Basically, you skip one movie in the  theatre or about 3 rentals, skip a few coffees, skip a drink or two or a fast food meal, etc and you have paid your $15 bucks. Sorry for the rant, just sayin, if you stop and think about it, you probably easily blow more then $15 a month on bullshit. I know I do. 

Just because I LOVE debunking the movie analogy here, in the UK you can get a Cineworld card that will let you in to see ANY MOVIE as many times as you like for £14.99 per month. That doesn't buy you food at the cinema but if you can see unlimited movies and you buy food every time you will end up as a super fat man.

• VolenibbletsVolenibblets Member UncommonPosts: 246

In my opinion (despite being an obvious thing to say it seems necessary to state that up-front in gaming forums since many people seem to think you're telling everyone else what to like/dislike and take negative comments of their favorite game as a personal insult of some kind...) 

1. It really feels like a game from 2004

2. Sluggish, unsatisfying gameplay typical of Funcom

3. The dialogue and storyline are woeful despite trying to sound 'edgy'. Where it isn't tinfoilhat silly, it feels so strained to come across grown up, it feels like a teenager sporting a fluffy moustache and bragging about touching a girl's boob at the local disco.

4. There are better games incoming worth your money, we might disagree on what they are but they have to be better than this garbage.

Just because I LOVE debunking the movie analogy here, in the UK you can get a Cineworld card that will let you in to see ANY MOVIE as many times as you like for £14.99 per month. That doesn't buy you food at the cinema but if you can see unlimited movies and you buy food every time you will end up as a super fat man.

holy shit! They don't have that here in the U.S - I would be all over it!

I would not really call that debunking though. Just because there is a great deal, doesn't mean everyone has it. For those who don't, the prices still apply. Like I said though, if they had that deal round my way... I would live at the movies, lol

• CoolrockskiCoolrockski Member Posts: 51

I agree with the people who say it depends on what you get out of it.  I would sub as long as you are immersed and enjoying yourself.  And honestly, people should support games they like.  The developers don't work for free.

holy shit! They don't have that here in the U.S - I would be all over it!

I would not really call that debunking though. Just because there is a great deal, doesn't mean everyone has it. For those who don't, the prices still apply. Like I said though, if they had that deal round my way... I would live at the movies, lol

Yeah it is pretty great, I had read that they were trialing a version of it in the US in San Francisco but the price per month was $50 which sort of makes it totally over priced and I guess it wouldn't work at all at that price!

I do agree with your original point, if you find the game fun then $15 per month is nothing in the grand scheme of things, the only people that will moan about the price of $15 a month are people that really can't afford it and people unsure about the game so they don't want to pay that much if they don't think they will actually last a month.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

It might be worth the box price. It might be worth a monthly sub. It might be worth a cash shop. But its not worth all 3 at once. No game is.

Edit: I mean I dont think its worth buying and telling the company its ok to have all 3 at the same time.

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

It's easily worth the sub for me since I won't have finished doing missions before august/september at my current rate. I have a full time job and a girlfriend and she likes to get some attention, like playing Diablo 3 together or something. ;)

Anyway, I saw enough during closed beta that I decided to get the life time sub, since I am expecting a lot of content to be added over the next several years and it comes out cheaper for me doing it like that.

Originally posted by xenogias

It might be worth the box price. It might be worth a monthly sub. It might be worth a cash shop. But its not worth all 3 at once. No game is.

Edit: I mean I dont think its worth buying and telling the company its ok to have all 3 at the same time.

According to you. I have bought the game.. will pay the sub and have spent about $20 in the shop. And from running around the game and seeing all the TOTALLY OPTIONAL store bought items on and with other folks... I'm not alone. 

• LachyFTWLachyFTW Member UncommonPosts: 181

Well worth the box price but not a sub atm.

• RaiZtRaiZt Member UncommonPosts: 26

Worth the 35$ box price atm. Game is hard to get into but when you realize that you cant make any wrong choices with your weapons it starts to geat really fun. Its inovative and allaround fun pve game  pvp needs alot of work tho. 

• Preacher26Preacher26 Member UncommonPosts: 381

I wasnt a fan at first but GW2 launch is still a ways off so I figured wth and bought it a few days ago.

All I can say is im a very confused fanboi. I couldnt help but fall in love with this game... so sorry Tyria.

Honestly even if I run out of content after a few months im very happy with Funcom this time around. VERY refreshing game and experimenting with multiple builds/decks is alot of fun.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by LachyFTW
    Well worth the box price but not a sub atm.

This is kind of where I am. If it were the box price + a cash shop, I'd probably buy it and play it. I don't really want to spend money on a sub. Any time I wasn't playing the game, I'd feel like I was wasting my money.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Yes. Most fun I've had in a long time in an mmo. May not be a long term venue but certainly a blast so far. Love the way dungeons are set up in this game.

EDIT: Meh, actually took out my other portion. No reason to bring other games into it I suppose.

Way too early to be asking this though. Whether it is a worth a sub or not depends on the quantity and quality of their updates. To me that is what really dictates whether the game is worh a monthly sub or not.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.