Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Xfire - TSW 3rd most played MMO

Comments

• HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773

Sure the stats from xfire may be flaunted, inaccurate because they sample a non-homogenous group and all that, but lets face it: They are a lot more objective than the various "feelings" of random forum posters here.

Looks like TSW did not have a massive hit on xfire at launch like AoC but in contrast to AoC they seem to be gaining a few 0.x% over time. Something that went directly opposite for AoC.

To me that looks like: TSW was NOT a trainwreck at launch. Players seem to enjoy the game because they obviously stick with it instead of complaining about it out of game.

Congratulations FunCom - I am definately surprised but it seems TSW is off to a much better start than AO and AoC.

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)

• NightCloakNightCloak Member UncommonPosts: 452
    Originally posted by tares
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko
    Originally posted by blackhawkzz

*Snip*

*Snip*

*Snip*

*Snip*

IDK it just works, League of legends was pretty meh, then once it went free to play it shot up to number 1 and I encounter players all over the place now.  It released 3 years ago but only recently became the top game.

League of Legends was always free to play. It's been growing like Mario on shrooms since launch too.

• HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773
    Originally posted by Omnifish

Xfire also, 'proved' , SWTOR is dead,.  It must be true because people, with no agenda then spreading the truth, told me so on these forums....

Come back with something better, fanks!

Erm - SWToR comes up as second most played MMO on xfire. What was your point again?

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039
    Originally posted by Halandir

Xfire also, 'proved' , SWTOR is dead,.  It must be true because people, with no agenda then spreading the truth, told me so on these forums....

Erm - SWToR comes up as second most played MMO on xfire. What was your point again?

Unless you are saying that SWTOR really is dead despite what Xfire says perhaps you should reread what you quoted. ;)

(Add sarcasm to it.)

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

• DreamionDreamion Member UncommonPosts: 287

Again, with the Xfire. Surely there won't be any drama this time, ? :D

• Preacher26Preacher26 Member UncommonPosts: 381

I have never used Xfire... same for my friends..

Been gaming for a long time...

lots of people out there like me.. just saying.

Some gaming crowds drawn towards certain mmos are more likely to use things like xfire

• kreakrea Member UncommonPosts: 237

Loving the game myself but like i did say before xfire realy proves nothing dont get why ppl think its reliable at all. Most mmorpg i did play in the last 15 years or so i did only know very little percentage of players that use xfire . Now for example in shooter games yeh way more use it since its a easy tool to join friends etc but in a mmorpg its not needed with guilds friend list etc.

• tarestares Member Posts: 381
    Originally posted by krea

Loving the game myself but like i did say before xfire realy proves nothing dont get why ppl think its reliable at all. Most mmorpg i did play in the last 15 years or so i did only know very little percentage of players that use xfire . Now for example in shooter games yeh way more use it since its a easy tool to join friends etc but in a mmorpg its not needed with guilds friend list etc.

For the last 7 years, xfire came out 9 years ago, it has been around 95% reliable, esp with MMOs. When an MMO releases sub numbers you can plot where they are without looking at xfire. It proves a lot.

Take a class in biology, math, or business as they explain it better. I took Genetics last semester was all about statistics, omg such a hard lab. If you know 300 people chances are one uses x fire. I find it more accurate on MMOs than shooters, because shooters tend to be multi platform.

http://www.cliffsnotes.com/study_guide/Statistics.topicArticleId-267532.html here learn something, some of the examples are wrong just a fyi as I use that site often.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by bcbully

According to Xfire it looks like TSW is the 3rd most played MMO behind only WoW and Swtor. To add to that I think Xfire just started working with TSW for the majority of players today.

http://www.xfire.com/genre/mmo/massively_multiplayer_online/

Not too shabby for a luanch if you ask me image  It looks like TSW may even pass swtor by Aug. 28 making it the 2nd most played MMO. We all know come Aug. 28 GW2 will shoot up to number two during it's launch.

I'm thinking TSW will settle in as the 3rd most played MMO for while depending on how well GW2 holds it's players. 

gogo TSW!

Being rated behind Swtor is a good thing ?....sorry this isn't something I'd wish on any MMO's launch

• Poison_AdelePoison_Adele Member CommonPosts: 287
    Originally posted by Baddogbill
    Originally posted by bcbully

According to Xfire it looks like TSW is the 3rd most played MMO behind only WoW and Swtor. To add to that I think Xfire just started working with TSW for the majority of players today.

http://www.xfire.com/genre/mmo/massively_multiplayer_online/

Not too shabby for a luanch if you ask me image  It looks like TSW may even pass swtor by Aug. 28 making it the 2nd most played MMO. We all know come Aug. 28 GW2 will shoot up to number two during it's launch.

I'm thinking TSW will settle in as the 3rd most played MMO for while depending on how well GW2 holds it's players. 

gogo TSW!

Being rated behind Swtor is a good thing ?....sorry this isn't something I'd wish on any MMO's launch

You know you're right about that. I'd expect any brand new MMO that's supposed to be the next big thing to be #2 for the first week at least. TOR is dying, so now that you mention it I'm really surprised TSW didn't beat it.

Then again the game may not run well with things like xfire in the background.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Poison_Adele
    Originally posted by Baddogbill Originally posted by bcbully According to Xfire it looks like TSW is the 3rd most played MMO behind only WoW and Swtor. To add to that I think Xfire just started working with TSW for the majority of players today. http://www.xfire.com/genre/mmo/massively_multiplayer_online/   Not too shabby for a luanch if you ask me   It looks like TSW may even pass swtor by Aug. 28 making it the 2nd most played MMO. We all know come Aug. 28 GW2 will shoot up to number two during it's launch.   I'm thinking TSW will settle in as the 3rd most played MMO for while depending on how well GW2 holds it's players.    gogo TSW!
    You know you're right about that. I'd expect any brand new MMO that's supposed to be the next big thing to be #2 for the first week at least. TOR is dying, so now that you mention it I'm really surprised TSW didn't beat it.

I know this might be a shock, but it's entirely possible that XFire's numbers and rating system have nothing at all to do with a game's actual performance.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by Baddogbill

Originally posted by bcbully According to Xfire it looks like TSW is the 3rd most played MMO behind only WoW and Swtor. To add to that I think Xfire just started working with TSW for the majority of players today. http://www.xfire.com/genre/mmo/massively_multiplayer_online/   Not too shabby for a luanch if you ask me   It looks like TSW may even pass swtor by Aug. 28 making it the 2nd most played MMO. We all know come Aug. 28 GW2 will shoot up to number two during it's launch.   I'm thinking TSW will settle in as the 3rd most played MMO for while depending on how well GW2 holds it's players.    gogo TSW!

I know this might be a shock, but it's entirely possible that XFire's numbers and rating system have nothing at all to do with a game's actual performance.

And this may be a shock, but sometimes there's a reason people say things.

People are having performance issues with TSW. So what do people often do when they have performance issues? Turn other programs off, including something that may track their hours played.

I'm just saying it's a possibility. It really isn't a requirement to kneejerk an attitude at everything someone says online.

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616
    Originally posted by Orphes

Unless you are saying that SWTOR really is dead despite what Xfire says perhaps you should reread what you quoted. ;)

(Add sarcasm to it.)

Thanks for the clarification Orphes, that was my intention.

Essentially some people on these forums have been using Xfire, 'data', to prove SWTOR is dead.  Here's a sample topic: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/352105/Xfire-Gameplay-hours-halved-over-the-last-month.html

But there was a very long two part post saying how Xfire numbers proves how certain people are right that the games dead, (not sure where it's gone now, but it had many posts).  Clearly the game is still around and second on those Xfire numbers as you quoted.  Some on here though wouldn't dare discuss that as that doesn't fit their agenda.

Point is how credible is any of this? Not very. I'm pretty sure if TSW went way down in the Xfire ranks next week they'll still be many people enjoying it, much like SWTOR did before.

The reasons for the falicy of Xfire numbers can be found elsewhere, I'm not going to go through it all again, point is none of this proves anything and people only post this to try and score points or reinforce their own personal commitment to a game.

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

(Add sarcasm to it.)

Essentially some people on these forums have been using Xfire, 'data', to prove SWTOR is dead.  Here's a sample topic: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/352105/Xfire-Gameplay-hours-halved-over-the-last-month.html

But there was a very long two part post saying how Xfire numbers proves how certain people are right that the games dead, (not sure where it's gone now, but it had many posts).  Clearly the game is still around and second on those Xfire numbers as you quoted.  Some on here though wouldn't dare discuss that as that doesn't fit their agenda.

Point is how credible is any of this? Not very. I'm pretty sure if TSW went way down in the Xfire ranks next week they'll still be many people enjoying it, much like SWTOR did before.

The reasons for the falicy of Xfire numbers can be found elsewhere, I'm not going to go through it all again, point is none of this proves anything and people only post this to try and score points or reinforce their own personal commitment to a game.

Yeah it doesn't really seem like the most reliable methods of telling how many people are playing. I imagine that the sort of communities different MMORPGs attract are more or less likely to use xfire. As someone else said, some smaller games need it.

Regardless, it's still information when there isn't really any at all atm...

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Has anyone pointed out that the 3 top mmorpgs being played require a sub? Does that also prove that the sub model is not as dead as people here try to make it out to be? Although I will be playing GW2 day one it kinda reinforces to me that it's a side course mmo and a drop in hours played should not be associated with failure.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• tarestares Member Posts: 381

(Add sarcasm to it.)

Yeah it doesn't really seem like the most reliable methods of telling how many people are playing. I imagine that the sort of communities different MMORPGs attract are more or less likely to use xfire. As someone else said, some smaller games need it.

SWTOR has 6-800,000 players, a far cry from the 2.2 million at launch. Very far from the 10 million the EA execs hoped for.

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240

(Add sarcasm to it.)

Xfire is akin to walking into a third grade classroom with 30 kids and asking 3 of them what their favorite TV show is. 10 percent polled =/= the feelings of that of the full 100 percent because the other 90 percent never gave their input.

So again, Xfire numbers are great for getting an idea of how the xfire community feels about specific games, but its not anywhere indicative of what all gamers in the entire gaming sphere or sub genre feel.

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

I can't imagine that Xfire appeals to anyone but the nerdiest of the nerds. The mega nerd, if you will. Please do not take offence Xfire users, you have to own your shit and wear it proud. No reason not to. But, most gamers have no use for such a service.

As has been said: all you get with Xfire numbers are what games the Xfire users (mega nerds) are currently rompin' around in.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• SixfeetunderSixfeetunder Member UncommonPosts: 180

X-fire isn't a reference

SWTOR has 6-800,000 players, a far cry from the 2.2 million at launch. Very far from the 10 million the EA execs hoped for.

What does that mean, really, to you?

*If EA would have said we expect to get 100 000 subscriber SWTOR would have been a blasting success with 800 000 subscribers?

*If EA say we expect to get 10 000 000 subscribers the game is an utter failure with 800 000 subscribers?

How many games have more subscribers than SWTOR?

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

I have played video games for over 20 years and never once used any crappy third party software to track gaming stats or my online friends.  Just saying how skewed the numbers are.  I am sure its a small percentage of people using Xfire out of the large pool of gamer players.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

I think XFire is ok for following the trends, whether game looses popularity or not. It doesn't say much about how popular it is. And it only tells about western market. If something is popular in the east and not west it won't show on xfire imo. So it doesn't matter how high the game is on xfire. matters whether it drops/climbs the ladder.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Originally posted by cinos

What does that mean, really, to you?

*If EA would have said we expect to get 100 000 subscriber SWTOR would have been a blasting success with 800 000 subscribers?

*If EA say we expect to get 10 000 000 subscribers the game is an utter failure with 800 000 subscribers?

How many games have more subscribers than SWTOR?

No need to use "if". We know that EA wanted 500k to break even and 1mil to get a nice profit but nothing to write home about. Considering the amount of money put into it however I can't imagine they'd be happy with simply breaking even however.

That was not an asnwer to the question. But let me ask you one instead.

What does it mean to you if EA are happy or not?

Is the game dead because there is not 10 000 000 subscribers?

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by krea Loving the game myself but like i did say before xfire realy proves nothing dont get why ppl think its reliable at all. Most mmorpg i did play in the last 15 years or so i did only know very little percentage of players that use xfire . Now for example in shooter games yeh way more use it since its a easy tool to join friends etc but in a mmorpg its not needed with guilds friend list etc.
    For the last 7 years, xfire came out 9 years ago, it has been around 95% reliable, esp with MMOs. When an MMO releases sub numbers you can plot where they are without looking at xfire. It proves a lot.

Take a class in biology, math, or business as they explain it better. I took Genetics last semester was all about statistics, omg such a hard lab. If you know 300 people chances are one uses x fire. I find it more accurate on MMOs than shooters, because shooters tend to be multi platform.

http://www.cliffsnotes.com/study_guide/Statistics.topicArticleId-267532.html here learn something, some of the examples are wrong just a fyi as I use that site often.

If you've gotten so much schooling, perhaps you can tell us some information about the XFire users. For instance, from the time they start playing a game until the time they never pick the game up, what's the median time they spend playing? Take a guess (since that's what we do with XFire). Well, I don't have to guess. It's 3 hours. For an MMORPG, that's barely one in-game session. Does that sound like a representative sample of MMORPG players?

How about this. How many concurrent XFire users are there at any given time? It's not 21 million. That's how many people have registered and downloaded the game in the last 9 years. Steam ranges from a million to five million concurrent users. That is a much larger sample size of players, yet I don't see people bringing Steam's numbers up on a regular basis.

Anyway, here's what you can get out of XFire. A relative popularity of games for XFire users, but only for games that work with XFire. This is assuming XFire actually works as advertised. Second, you can get whether or not the number of players are rising or falling on a daily or weekly basis. The second bit is suspect...but over a decently long period of time the 'rising' or 'falling' seems to hold true. And that's it. There are no applicable percentages and taking XFire numbers and trying to get an actual number of players is a waste of time. You certainly can't calculate a number of subscribers. It's interesting to watch people create fantastic methods of calculating users and subscribers from XFire, but that's all.

So, it's nice that TSW has a rising playerbase in XFire, but it's really meaningless. Unless you're XFire, in which case you try to get people to download more copies of your product and advertising...then you can sell the information people give you for your software to advertisers. You also sell it to people who do market studies, who then sell the results of their studies to interested parties for exorbitant amounts of money.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.