Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LF MMORPG - Narrow down to 3

ozerinxozerinx Member UncommonPosts: 200

DDO, Vanguard Saga, Age of Conan

After browsing the forums for countless hours these games seem to offer the most fun when it comes to "grouping".

I will be playing these games with a few friends but was wondering out of these 3 which one is the most time consuming?

Also, how much money would you have to pay to be useful endgame. I heard that Vanguard right now doesn't really work because of the common gear crap. 

But, what about DDO or Age of Conan? 

Are we able to clear all contents to cap or are we limited? 

my bad, 

Okay I've played every MMO out there so far. Right now we are looking for something more casual maybe 1-3 hours a day. Probably not much raiding. 

Something that we can hop on n party together and have fun and solo when we are just bored. 

Could care less about population. I just finished all progression on TERA including KN HM, BG not out and seriously don't want to spend countless hours on games anymore. Which is why my friends and I just want something we can mess around on casually that is enjoyable. 

Comments

• ShaikeShaike Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Originally posted by ozerinx

DDO, Vanguard Saga, Age of Conan

After browsing the forums for countless hours these games seem to offer the most fun when it comes to "grouping".

I will be playing these games with a few friends but was wondering out of these 3 which one is the most time consuming?

Also, how much money would you have to pay to be useful endgame. I heard that Vanguard right now doesn't really work because of the common gear crap. 

But, what about DDO or Age of Conan? 

Are we able to clear all contents to cap or are we limited? 

Is it bad to say i hated all 3 of those ???

now really - i didn't like any of those games, but i guess you are looking for a free game (according to your choise here)

personally - every "freemium" game i played i hated - so maybe it's me

BUT -

i could recommend what i think about what there is to play now -

IF you like the fact that you are always being told what to do (like in all of the 3 games you mentioned - kill this X creatures etc) then - go for Rift. You will love it and it has lots of "extra" stuff (too many to mention here), also a new expansion to be released soon - so even more content...

IF you prefer going about the world SOLO and you don't mind crappy animations and really sucky battles and just want to enjoy a real world LORE than go for TSW (wasn't my cup of tea actually - but i hated the battles, so...)

IF you want something a bit different (in a good way) - try GW2. 3rd Beta is almost here and i hear Curse and others are giving away free Beta Keys - get one and try it out - maybe it will be for you (and you only have to pay once - just buy the game and that's it)

You can always play WoW - especially if you have never played seriously any other MMO. Everyone here don't hate WoW - they hate what came of it and became bored with it after YEARS of playing (more than 6 years myself actually) - so if you have never tried it - maybe it's the started MMO for you....

Hopes this helps in any way :-)

Just my 2 cents...

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

i think if we knew more about what you want out of those 3 games it might help.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• ozerinxozerinx Member UncommonPosts: 200

my bad, 

Okay I've played every MMO out there so far. Right now we are looking for something more casual maybe 1-3 hours a day. Probably not much raiding. 

Something that we can hop on n party together and have fun and solo when we are just bored. 

• SixfeetunderSixfeetunder Member UncommonPosts: 180

i had played those 3 game and now the prob is the population...and the big prob with un mmo....is the pop...you need feel the wave and take a new mmo

refer to original post - edited~

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

not played a lot of AoC so i cant help you there.

DDO and VG are going to have the same issues with their F2P model, you *will* end up spending money. sure you can mostly just blindly grind your way through so as to avoid using RL money, but that's just not a place i can imagine you want to go as a casual player.

aside from their F2P models they are, as you know quite different games. DDO has more open areas in some places than it does in others. mostly it ends up feeling like a lobby game. however, a group of friends dungeon delving together should have quite a bit of fun, i would think. there is some soloing in DDO as well, so it could work for you. the class optimizations are really neat. you gain feats, and points to spend so you can customize yourself a bit.

VG is going to have huge expanses of open areas, open dungeons, and plenty to both solo and group up on. however, while the character creation is itself quite customizable with so many races and classes to choose from, in the end if you're a paladin, you're a paladin, if you're a bloodmage, you're a bloodmage. no real options once you've finally finished creating. except in a couple of cases, such as shaman where you can choose one of 3 types of shaman to be, but again, that's pretty much it.

both are highly soloable given a player with some sense of their class and a bit of a tactician's view of things. both have good grahpics, for their age, imo.

hope this helps, if you have any more specific questions, please feel free to toss them out there.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

Originally posted by chelan

not played a lot of AoC so i cant help you there.

DDO and VG are going to have the same issues with their F2P model, you *will* end up spending money. sure you can mostly just blindly grind your way through so as to avoid using RL money, but that's just not a place i can imagine you want to go as a casual player.

aside from their F2P models they are, as you know quite different games. DDO has more open areas in some places than it does in others. mostly it ends up feeling like a lobby game. however, a group of friends dungeon delving together should have quite a bit of fun, i would think. there is some soloing in DDO as well, so it could work for you. the class optimizations are really neat. you gain feats, and points to spend so you can customize yourself a bit.

VG is going to have huge expanses of open areas, open dungeons, and plenty to both solo and group up on. however, while the character creation is itself quite customizable with so many races and classes to choose from, in the end if you're a paladin, you're a paladin, if you're a bloodmage, you're a bloodmage. no real options once you've finally finished creating. except in a couple of cases, such as shaman where you can choose one of 3 types of shaman to be, but again, that's pretty much it.

both are highly soloable given a player with some sense of their class and a bit of a tactician's view of things. both have good grahpics, for their age, imo.

hope this helps, if you have any more specific questions, please feel free to toss them out there.

Oh, so in VG theres no like talent trees, customize class stuff everyone is usually the same generic builds?

To be honest paying is not a huge concern for any of us we just really want a game where we can enjoy in the small amount of time that we are going to be playing. Not really looking for a time sink game. Looking for a game that we can hop on for 1-2 hours a day and just power through dungeons/raids bosses and move on. 

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

AOC is very soloable, but I found limited opportunities for grouping.  Gameplay is very similar to a SP RPG.  Playing with friends might help the grouping if you all stay at the same level in the game.

I got bored around level 25 and can't seem to force myself to play more, but the 1 to 20 levels were quite engaging.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

AOC is probally one of the better themepark games on the market, but I have not played it since it went f2p.. I think the classes are resttricted and your also have limited end game content when you reach level 80.. but i guess by then you can decide if you want to sub or not.. ITs a very group orientated game really, some of the quests are hard to do solo really. I ran through it once solo and then a second time iwth a m8 and it was a lot more fun running the quests with another person to help you out. Also there are dungeons along the way..

Its also fine to play this casually.

Vanguard is another decent game, could ahve been so much better but worth checking out thats for sure.

Cant really coment on DDO..

• KanylKanyl Member UncommonPosts: 252

Everquest 2, BIG TIME! 

I have played all 3 mmorpgs, but if you want a good game with alot of stuff in it, with a thriving and good community, very group dependent and fun with others: Everquest 2!

- DDO is also great, but it's instanced game and feels sometimes like a singel player game. Might be good, but I did not get hooked.

- AOC is good, but not a game I would like to play with friends. Feels more like a singleplayer game in the beggining, but at higher levels, it might fit you well! Mature game with cool stuff with it, but still not my recommendation for grouping.

- Vanguard IS the true hero here, BUT the population is so low, that it is no use to play before it goes F2P! Play it when it "re-launch", later this summer, but not now.

The closest game to Vanguard right now, is Everquest 2, which offers you everything. You can do this with your friends:

- Level up together, no matter what level you all are (mentor down to each level)

- Make a guild, decorate a guild house, level it up and build your own guild!

- Do dungeons, raids or just level up together.

- Deep crafting, so you can improve each others items etc!

- PvP, battleground etc!

- Do roleplay, explore the world and much more!

I would say, that EQ2 is the best experience for group play!

And as you say: Everquest 2 is great for casual play with friends, just some hours a day or less! Also, when you wanna start the game, you pick the streaming client so you will be in-game within 10-15min, at your first log-in! After that, you will pretty much have the game on you computer and log-in as normal. Grat way to get in to the game fast!

I would suggest to try the game, do that for a while and if you like it, then subscribe (GOLD-status). This will unlock all calsses/races, restrictions and pretty much the whole game! Then, when you get up at end-game levels, you can get the Destiny of Velious expansion and unlock everything! (You can buy it online, at stores or in-game with so called "Station Cash", that they sometimes sell off for 50%! So, it can get very cheap sometimes!). And the cash shop does only sell "fluff" items, so no one will be better then you, if they spend alot of money!

If you pick Everquest 2 (which I highly recommend), then I would recommend the Freeport server. It is the biggest server in-game and I play on it! If you want another server, then take Antonic Bayle. BUT if you take Freeport, I can introduce you to the game and maybe you also can get an invite to our guild!  But, you do as you like!

My name in EQ2 is Sulfury, so hit me up!

Good luck! :)

haha only problem with EQ2 we all played/raided in Destiny of Velious. Was in a hardcore raid guild so we did most of the grouping/dungeon contents up until then. Not going to lie it is a great game but it will be all rinse and repeat since we have liek 5 alts at cap lol. 

I personally am waiting for neverwinter nights which has no release date to try it out but before then need something to mess around on casually. :D

Thanks for all the input I believe I am going with DDO. 

If people are intersted in joining us. 

Our schedule will be around 1-2 hours a day. Weekends Maybe more.

Class - still undecided just send me PM on this site I check it daily :D