Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kinda worried about thuis game have any lasting appeal/ability.

SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

I am kinda worried about this game having any lasting appeal, a friend of mine has been playing since early access, and hes by no means a hardcore mmo player, and he's already pretty much run out of content to do. This is a really bad sign if you can run out of content in a week. No tto mention the pvp is fairly pointless (Why can't; devs make meaningful endgame or pvp anymore?). Doing the dungeons for gear is fine and all, but what use is there for it really after? the pvp serves no real purpose besides a small exp bonus or somesuch. Its also extremly unbalanced from what I hear, which I kinda expected with the games skill system it has. Not to mention all 3 factions don't have their own zones, so replay value of the game is honestly zilch.

I like tsw myself, but I don't know running from quest to quest is kinda getting old for me. When I heard abotu tsw and having 3 factions I was kinda praying it'd have daoc-style pvp, with a advancement system based on pvp granting new skills and passives, that have their own panels so you can use your normal 7 actives and 7 passives on top of the pvp stuff. As well as the pvp having some land control aspect to it, like daoc, perfect world, global agenda, aion etc. At least tsw didn't pull a world of warcraft and make pve earned gear worthless for pvp.

Anyway, overall TSW is not a bad game, but its going to have alot of issues keeping people after the first month I think. which is sad in a way because I feel the game has some real promise.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

Comments

• BlackndBlacknd Member Posts: 600

Depends entirely on what the devs do in the next month or so, to be honest.

The ball is very much in their court.

.. But in a good way.

• The_GamblesThe_Gambles Member Posts: 25

I find it hard to believe he's not even close to a "hardcore mmo player" and he's been playing for what 9 days? and has pretty much completely run out of content. I mean I have other things to do than play an MMO 8+ hours a day. Even if I had the free time I wouldn't, but there will always be people like your friend who blow past content playing steady, probably skipping out on a good amount of side missions or maybe just flat out grinding to end game.

Point is, I've been in since early access playing about 3-4 hours almost everyday, exploring, doing side quests, shopping, working on my build, enjoying the story, solving puzzles. Not to mention i'm still only in savage coast. I'm sure he has also completed the hard modes in all the dungeons to?

This issue comes up with every release of every game, people stating there not hardcore players yet they are in the 1% that didn't take the game for what it was. When will people realize the game isn't a race, ecspecially one with no levels and an setting with an open skill wheel like this game.

We have yet to see the longevity of this game because we have yet to see how often they release content. And no I don't think anyone but a "hardcore mmo player" should be out of content right now. 

• TerronteTerronte Member Posts: 321

How long was TSW in development, 7 years or something? Meh.

I'd say I play a little more than most people that play MMOs, and I'm at Transylvania now. I'll be doubling back to do quests I missed in Egypt and the few in Blue Mountain. I've complete two "Decks" and will be doing a third freestyle. After that....I'll have nothing left to do. Probably wont be subbing.

The three faction PvP could have been something, but it really seems tacked on...and poorly done.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by JayZas

I find it hard to believe he's not even close to a "hardcore mmo player" and he's been playing for what 9 days? and has pretty much completely run out of content. I mean I have other things to do than play an MMO 8+ hours a day. Even if I had the free time I wouldn't, but there will always be people like your friend who blow past content playing steady, probably skipping out on a good amount of side missions or maybe just flat out grinding to end game.

Point is, I've been in since early access playing about 3-4 hours almost everyday, exploring, doing side quests, shopping, working on my build, enjoying the story, solving puzzles. Not to mention i'm still only in savage coast. I'm sure he has also completed the hard modes in all the dungeons to?

This issue comes up with every release of every game, people stating there not hardcore players yet they are in the 1% that didn't take the game for what it was. When will people realize the game isn't a race, ecspecially one with no levels and an setting with an open skill wheel like this game.

We have yet to see the longevity of this game because we have yet to see how often they release content. And no I don't think anyone but a "hardcore mmo player" should be out of content right now. 

It really doesn't matter if the OP's "friend" is right or wrong. What's important is if the general concensus agrees or disagrees with him.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

I've been playing in short burst ssince a few days after launch (on average about 2 hours per night). Though I'm just now getting to the Savage Coast, I'm not worried about running out of content. There's a number of achievements for me to work on, lots of exploration and lore entries to uncover, game mechanics to get the hang of, etc, etc. It also prolly makes a difference that I'm trying to figure out the puzzles on my own rather that immediately grabbing a spoilerific guide.

I think the bigger issue is the player mindset of rushing to the 'endgame' thanks in no small part to WoW. While I don't want to preach about "the journey", well...

In short, it aggitates me slightly that some people (and I'm not necessarily referring to the OP's friend here) rush through the game as quickly as possible and then immediately whine to the devs about the lack of content.

<3

• AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665

Have to wait and see what happens. For me, playing since CB, I still haven't gotten out of Kingsmouth. I am a bit of a perfectionist so quite a bit of time has been spent in the character creator. Outside of that though I have found a ton of content and that's just the starting area pretty much. Unless you are specifically looking to hit some kind of end and racing, I don't see how it's possible to even be close to out of content at this point.

I know I have to take in consideration the "locusts", or do I? No game that has been or will be released will be able to satisfy someone with 24/7 gaming appetite. The best they can hope for is a solid week of gaming from any game a week after release. Whether or not it's enough content for me though I have yet to see. In a month or two it will be perfectly clear. I don't chew through content, but I don't consider myself very casual either.

Regardless, take a watch and wait approach as usual.

• Poison_AdelePoison_Adele Member CommonPosts: 287

I haven't been hearing many people say that they've hit endgame, is that really the case?

• mWo4lifemWo4life Member Posts: 119

I have the same concern. What waits for you after u finsh the main sotryline? only dangeons and pvp? Because of this, i play TSW very slowly. I'm still in kingsmouth and I play everday 1-2h since early access. I play really slowly, just exploring and killing random monsters and doing pvp.

I just hope that very soon there will be more end game conetent in TSW, as soon ppl will be running out of quests to do, just like OP.

• IneveraskforthisIneveraskforthis Member Posts: 374

I am absolutely torn on TSW, i played the last few beta weekend, i LOVE certain part of the game while hate other aspects of it. One of major question i have is what happened once i finished the story line?

I mean is there gonna be a continuation of the personal story ? or it is gonna be another boring retarded endless "raid"/instance grinding?

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

This is a running theme with many games lately and I hope it doesn't continue. Lack of content. Diablo 3 is a major culprit, as is The Secret World. Sure, it'll take you ages to get 100% of the ability wheel done in TSW but to do that you'll have to repeat repeat and repeat. I don't have a problem with repeating stuff or grinding but these days there is just less and less content to repeat. This means you're seeing the same thing even more often and it gets old and tiring very quickly. If you're gunna make me repeat, give me lots to repeat at least.

You step in games like Vanguard or Asheron's Call and are blown away by the sheer size of it, there's adventure on a massive scale in that sort of world design. Then you step into TSW which has excellent potential gameplay mechanics and lore but you are given a tiny playground to do it in. It's also very linear, not in each zone but in the order in which you do the zones. There is just enough content to get you through. It's not like, say, WoW where you have multiple zones you could do at diferent stages of progression.

I'm enjoying it for what it has but I see no reason to continue subbing once I have done the content thats on offer once over. There's even no reason to create other characters, which shortens it's lasting appeal considerably.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

This was the major concern that I had in the CB. In the two months (or so ) that I played, I got through about half the second zone in Transylvania before the character wipe. I didn't play the game excessively and my best guess is that I got there in about 100-120 hours. I didn't knowingly skip any quests, didn't PvP (as I didn't enjoy it) and did every dungeon once as I came upon them. I did not redo any missions along the way.

Most of the game played like a single-player horror adventure game and I enjoyed it, thought it started getting repetitive toward the end. The missions were good and varied, the combat became serviceable and stopped being a distraction somewhere late in Egypt with enough skills unlocked, and the story and ambiance remained strong throughout. I particularly loved the Egypt storyline.

So in the end, I though for this alone, the game would be worth purchasing, but that the content as is would last 1-2 months.

The developers have promised content. They've said they have 7 years of content planned. They've defended the subscription fee. They have alluded to one raid ready for "the fall". We have no specific statements on how regularly players can expect bug fixes and content updates. We do know what Funcom's track record is for its previous MMOs which is not stellar.

These days I don't think players stick around on the promise of things to do down the road. Funcom has ambitious goals for box sales, sub numbers and sub retention. It's up to them to deliver.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• The_GamblesThe_Gambles Member Posts: 25
    Originally posted by Derpybird

This was the major concern that I had in the CB. In the two months (or so ) that I played, I got through about half the second zone in Transylvania before the character wipe. I didn't play the game excessively and my best guess is that I got there in about 100-120 hours. I didn't knowingly skip any quests, didn't PvP (as I didn't enjoy it) and did every dungeon once as I came upon them. I did not redo any missions along the way.

Most of the game played like a single-player horror adventure game and I enjoyed it, thought it started getting repetitive toward the end. The missions were good and varied, the combat became serviceable and stopped being a distraction somewhere late in Egypt with enough skills unlocked, and the story and ambiance remained strong throughout. I particularly loved the Egypt storyline.

So in the end, I though for this alone, the game would be worth purchasing, but that the content as is would last 1-2 months.

The developers have promised content. They've said they have 7 years of content planned. They've defended the subscription fee. They have alluded to one raid ready for "the fall". We have no specific statements on how regularly players can expect bug fixes and content updates. We do know what Funcom's track record is for its previous MMOs which is not stellar.

These days I don't think players stick around on the promise of things to do down the road. Funcom has ambitious goals for box sales, sub numbers and sub retention. It's up to them to deliver.

Well put.

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

Well put.

Do you think they will deliver on what they promised?

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Hm I dunno it is Funcom that is also known as Failcom by older players of their games.. I'd not get my hopes up too much. Funcom has been working on the anarchy online graphical update for like 4 years, and we still really have not seen any of it, afaik its vaporware and they just said that to try to keep players. Shouldn't take 4 years to make a new graphics engine thats more up to date. Honestly though to this day anarchy online is still the only decent sci-fi mmo, all it needs is a graphical overhaul of the models and textures and they could re-launch it. Do it slowly like do player chars first, then monsters, then landscape last. I mean I am not a total graphics whore myself but, todays generation of games that have beenb spoiled by x360 and such, have no real idea what games used to look like. So they take one look at AO and deem it crap because its outdated looking. little do they know that most of the games released today while pretty looking are fairly shittastic compared to the older games in terms of gmeplay and such.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

With such a strong focus on storylines, they really need to deliver a new one at least once a month. Otherwise we're looking at another SWTOR.

Let's be honest, short of repeating quests you have already done, tougher versions of the same instances and some zergy PvP, there is really nothing else to occupy those who are finished with the questing content until the next patch hits and if that takes 3 months, I see a lot of people quitting.

There are already posts about being bored and longevity on the official forums and the game has been out for a week. That can't be a good thing.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

Depends on the player, I have been playing 2-6 hours a day since head start day one and I am still in Kingsmouth(yes only one character). But I have been trying out different skills, taking my time exploring. Shopping etc.

The quests are so fun sometimes I get sidetracked doing them over and over cause the cooldown is over haha.

• Mode6NineMode6Nine Member Posts: 56

I think you can rush through the main story fairly quickly, but this game is very much in the vein of adventuring and exploring the world and lore in it.  There is a ton of content in this game and refreshingly it's not all go here kill X boogerbeasts, some of the content makes you stop and think/do research.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by heartless
    Originally posted by Derpybird The developers have promised content. They've said they have 7 years of content planned. They've defended the subscription fee. They have alluded to one raid ready for "the fall". We have no specific statements on how regularly players can expect bug fixes and content updates. We do know what Funcom's track record is for its previous MMOs which is not stellar. These days I don't think players stick around on the promise of things to do down the road. Funcom has ambitious goals for box sales, sub numbers and sub retention. It's up to them to deliver.
    With such a strong focus on storylines, they really need to deliver a new one at least once a month. Otherwise we're looking at another SWTOR.

Let's be honest, short of repeating quests you have already done, tougher versions of the same instances and some zergy PvP, there is really nothing else to occupy those who are finished with the questing content until the next patch hits and if that takes 3 months, I see a lot of people quitting.

There are already posts about being bored and longevity on the official forums and the game has been out for a week. That can't be a good thing.

QFT- it will be the same issue with any story-based MMORPG. Even if they release really generic palette-swap of the month updates like Trion did in Rift at first between real content updates I think it will be enough but if they play it like SWTOR then it'll have the same fate.

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991
    Originally posted by xmenty

Well put.

Do you think they will deliver on what they promised?

You know, there is a part of me that thinks they have to have learned something from their past launches and from watching SWTOR implode. To me, SWTOR and TSW are similar in that they are both story driven and have limited replay value given that class arcs/faction arcs are such a small part of the content and there is ONE leveling path. They also both launched with certain features yet to be implemented.

At the same time, their track record on post launch support isn't great, and the market demographic has changed so that increasing numbers of players are not willing to pay a sub waiting for new content that they consume faster than developers can produce. Trion somehow managed to do it, so maybe.

I would guess they would need to push out a new zone at least quarterly, or new story arcs every couple of months (like chapters of a book), add some things to grind other than the same old quests, add some raids, etc.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    Originally posted by Siveria

Hm I dunno it is Funcom that is also known as Failcom by older players of their games.. I'd not get my hopes up too much. Funcom has been working on the anarchy online graphical update for like 4 years, and we still really have not seen any of it, afaik its vaporware and they just said that to try to keep players. Shouldn't take 4 years to make a new graphics engine thats more up to date. Honestly though to this day anarchy online is still the only decent sci-fi mmo, all it needs is a graphical overhaul of the models and textures and they could re-launch it. Do it slowly like do player chars first, then monsters, then landscape last. I mean I am not a total graphics whore myself but, todays generation of games that have beenb spoiled by x360 and such, have no real idea what games used to look like. So they take one look at AO and deem it crap because its outdated looking. little do they know that most of the games released today while pretty looking are fairly shittastic compared to the older games in terms of gmeplay and such.

As someone who ranks Dreamfall as one of her favorite games of all time, I hardly think of them as Failcom. I know AO had/has some issues, and AoC had a bit of a rocky start, but TSW seems to be progressing quite smoothly so far.

<3

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

I have been playing this game waaaay to much (5 hours a day for the last 5 days) so thats 25 hours and i am about halfway through the second zone. If you dont rush and enjoy this game it has a HUGE amount of content.

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• jirvajirva Member Posts: 3

I already am at the "end-game" and find no reason to sub another month, since i have 2-3 weeks still...

I can't believe that funcom will deliver solid content every months and this is the price to pay for keeping everyone subbed. The only reason i'll sub another month is to wait until the 28th of august...

But i love this game anyway, the quest system, the background, the audio work, the bestiary (need more monsters type), the maps, and it changes the grinding heroic-fantasy mmo world. My goal now is to have all the skills and play healer/tank to change my gameplay style

Waiting for : Archeage, GW2, World of darkness (must be very patient^^)

• paroxysmparoxysm Member Posts: 437

AO was never about the graphics.  It was about the gameplay and of course the insane grinds of base levels, SL levels, AI levels, and LE research.  The complexity of gear and implants.  The amount of work, hoops, and math of getting in one new symbiant.  It never played well, was close to balanced, or was close to absent of major bugs/lag/banding/exploits.  Mobs never got new skins either.  They just kept getting bigger and bigger.

The graphics engine update isn't even a "new" graphics engine.  It's adapting the old AO code to work with a duct taped version of their AoC engine.  It's taken way longer than it ever should have and has smashed the will to play of most of the most die hard fans.  Everything is on hold for it, including the fabled re-balance that most are not happy with the proposed changes.  I would bet it won't be the most efficient of games on resources when it's done either.

AO was, is, and will always be a mess.  One that the people working on it don't fully understand until years later.  Tons of things they thought were working, but actually were not.  Nanos that actually don't affect mobs because they have no actual ability stats.  Weapons introduced with expansions that didn't work well in that expansion(1-X damage guns in SL)I doubt they ever fully sort it out because they take things for granted instead of actually testing them out.

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

I am kinda worried about this game having any lasting appeal, a friend of mine has been playing since early access, and hes by no means a hardcore mmo player, and he's already pretty much run out of content to do. This is a really bad sign if you can run out of content in a week.

Not to mention the pvp is fairly pointless (Why can't; devs make meaningful endgame or pvp anymore?). Doing the dungeons for gear is fine and all, but what use is there for it really after? the pvp serves no real purpose besides a small exp bonus or somesuch.

Its also extremly unbalanced from what I hear, which I kinda expected with the games skill system it has. Not to mention all 3 factions don't have their own zones, so replay value of the game is honestly zilch.

I like tsw myself, but I don't know running from quest to quest is kinda getting old for me. When I heard abotu tsw and having 3 factions I was kinda praying it'd have daoc-style pvp, with a advancement system based on pvp granting new skills and passives, that have their own panels so you can use your normal 7 actives and 7 passives on top of the pvp stuff. As well as the pvp having some land control aspect to it, like daoc, perfect world, global agenda, aion etc. At least tsw didn't pull a world of warcraft and make pve earned gear worthless for pvp.

Anyway, overall TSW is not a bad game, but its going to have alot of issues keeping people after the first month I think. which is sad in a way because I feel the game has some real promise.

It is very silly that they let all three "secret" factions hang out in pve.  It's a very lazy way of saving time for developer content, in my humble opinion, whereas you would never see this in Dark Age of Camelot or the upcoming Elder Scrolls Online.  I got on the RP server, Arcadia, and while I liked what I saw (Kings zone forever and the buddy key ran out), I wondered at how RP'ish anything could be when (a) you could pvp a faction and then (b) hang out in a pve zone afterwards and chit chat it up.

I just...don't...get that.  But then again, with all respect, it's FUNCOM.  They took the one faction server they had and closed it because (as we all felt) they were at a loss as to what to do, even though tons of forum posts pointed to Dark Age of Camelot as an example of how to handle three factions beautifully.  PvP, as the OP said here, is a very complex matter for developers.  Many just see the instanced BGs of WoW and follow suit, others come up with nonsensical elements, as in GW2 where every race and class fights each other - (but it's a different world of clones they are fighting!), or as in TSW, you can pve with the same people who killed you 5 minutes earlier LOL.

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

Skipping the quest text and just ticking off quest lists is not really experiencing the content. TSW was designed for people who read.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?