Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you play a 100% PVE MMO, No PVP at all ?

Comments

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by m0lly

nope because i can do that in any game that isnt mmo and yet in my point of view i dont see the point competiting against " only " devs programmed challenges.

erm... it's called 'interdependent co-operative social play'...

You can do that 'in any game'?

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035

i could play a pure pve mmo...as long as it focused completely on small group content.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

I could in a heart beat.. That is what I liked about EQ1 in the beginning..  There was no battlegrounds PvP queues.. If you wanted PvP, there was select open world servers.. Otherwise.. no thanks..  I like the challenge of US (the players) against the THEM (the devs) .. For me that promotes for of a comunity then this Esport mechanics we have now..  But I understand, it's easier to get the masses to fight between themselves for content, then to create it...... Sorta like politics..

• wolfetxwolfetx Member Posts: 3

I would love to find a MMO that had ZERO pvp in it!

I am sick and tired of seeing good games wreak by pvp. We cant even get TRUE pve servers any more. They give us these craptastic pvp lite servers and call them pve servers. Tell us pvp is just consentual on them and it wont effect your pve play.. Then they add in pvp gear that is better than pve gear. Nerf classes due to pvp balance, Add in pvp perks or bufs that effect pve play and are only gotten through pvp play.

So yes 100% i would LOVE to find a mmo and play it that had NO pvp what so ever!

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Why "would" ? I DO.

I like PvP, but the best MMO on the market doesnt offer it. Its really its only shortcoming.

• exdeathbrexdeathbr Member UncommonPosts: 137

This question is a little vague because there are many ways that a mmorpg without any single bit of pvp (no open pvp, no pvp flag, no duels, no friendly fire, no instancies, no rvr in the ways I said before...) can exist.

So the real question is, is there any possible way to make a mmorpg rpg that doenst include pvp in any possible form, that I will like?

The answer is yes.

And with pvp, I am including all the forms of pvp I said before, also including rvr as pvp.

Even if I include RVR with the other side being npc that with player like AI, in this list of possible "pvp" forms. The answer would still be yes.

Talking about people hating pvp, I am trying to imagine a game with:

-No pvp in any possible form.

-1 life permadeath

-Full item drop

-People can loot your body

-People with stealing skill can loot you.

-Items break like in real life, need to repair them.

-You see is what you get when monsters die, not getting armor from monsters without armor, unless the monsters have some armor stealing fetish (the sort of explanation to those monsters have armor while they dont use it), but they would have some space in their inventory to keep it.

You removed pvp but leaved other stuff many guy here complain alot.

Well maybe remove the stealing skill part, because without pvp the guy would try to steal you and you would be ablt to do nothing about it.

• wolfetxwolfetx Member Posts: 3

Could some one point me to a good mmo with no pvp?

Since rift added in the conquest system the game has gone to crap!

Sick and tired of good games being wreaked by pvp elements!

• shockleymshockleym Member Posts: 5

If you want PVP you should be playing firs person shooters. With online FPS games winning is actually about skill and not decided upon what class you are or who has the most money  to invest in their character.

MMORPG's catering to PVP'ers and applying nerf after nerf is one of the biggest problems with MMORPGs today.

The poll says it all... almost 80% of the people playing MMORPGs don't even care about pvp.

• minaescominaesco Member Posts: 1

I would definitally pay and play a PvE only MMO and yes, LOTRO is amazing. As someone had stated already, when the minorty of mature PvPers (Easilly identified by acting like a normal human-being when either winning or losing.) outweigh the asshat majority (They are easy to identify, as they frequently use the terms refering to 80s toys such as "Carebears" or "Go play My little Pony" or by crying about peoples preference to play a all PvE game as if someone elses gaming choice effects them at all.), it might be worth it, but I'd rather not pay cash to deal with douches when I'm supposed to be paying to have fun. From the look of this threads poll, it seems I am not the only one.

• ScarlyngScarlyng Member UncommonPosts: 159

The only effect the presence or absence of PvP would have on my decision to play a game was if PvP was non-consensual, at which point I'd decline.  Otherwise it does not matter to me whether there is PvP or not.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw

• atziluthatziluth Member UncommonPosts: 1,190

What is the point of an MMO without PvP? You can get the same experience in an IRC channel. Maybe if it was geared around world manipulation along the lines of a minecraft MMO. I just don't see any other reason to do it. No need for different factions, territories, or any conflict at all for that matter. AI especially in MMOs is subpar challenge wise. 

-Atziluth-

- Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

wow, I was suprised by the results, it's almost 80/20 yes.  I thought I was one of the few that only pve, and never pvp.  FFXI was strictly a pve game for awhile, they eventually started adding pvp content, but almost noone ever did it.

• SkullyWoodsSkullyWoods Member Posts: 183

You bet I would. PVE is always a good time. If the mobs keep coming, I'll keep slaying.

#TeamVainlash
    Why did Marceline's dad eat her fries? I mean...cause she bought them and they were hers...

• soulmirrorsoulmirror Member UncommonPosts: 124

Yes, I would play a MMO that was PvE only as long as it had some depth, had no ( ! ) overhead, meaningful crafting, a guild system, exploration and an open world.

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

No

I wont even bother with a MMO if it doesnt have PvP, but Im not a griefer or anything, I do it for the intense battles. In my first few years of playing online games, I was happy with the A.I., but now its just too easy.

With PvP you always get something new in your opponent, very little predictability. So untill someone vastly improves A.I. in MMOs, I'll stick with the PvP centered games.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Good lord no, I play mmos to interact with others players within a gaming world. Removing one of the major facets of that greatly diminishes the abitlity to do so and more importantly greatly diminishes the potential the game has.

Most great fantasy, horror, sci-fi novels (which let's face it pretty much covers the genres mmorpgs are based upon) have conflict between the protagonists. Take that out of the plot and all of a sudden you have a pretty crappy story all told. Real depth in mmorpgs is driven by player interaction, removing one of the key mechanics that allow for a primary form of interaction (strife, world control) can't be a good thing.

An mmorpg doesn't HAVE to have pvp in it, but when done correctly (and not some lame as instanced bullshit), then pvp has the potential to add a massive amount on cross complexity and depth to a game. 

Still the above is just my opinion, I can appreciate why some people would want to play a pve only game, if that's for them then fair enough.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Yes definetly.

In fact I am still waiting for the EQ successor, a PvE only MMO.

But I  know it ain't going to happen.

The Developers wants to sell boxes to the big PvP crowd too.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by Jemcrystal

[mod edit]

So adults don't enjoy competition? Guess I missed that memo.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    Originally posted by bunnyhopper
    Originally posted by Jemcrystal

[mod edit]

So adults don't enjoy competition? Guess I missed that memo.

Mindless competition simply for the sake of competing?  Nope, most adults don't enjoy that.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• AqueAque Member Posts: 118

To the OP,

Yes without a doubt. 

1. PVP just add's on to a game/ Although I do love me some PVP :D 

2. Played lots of games that did not have PVP and still had a blast! 

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

I can't imagine a pure PvE holding my attention for very long. PvE is often a requirement to be able to PvP. No PvP in a game, don't think I've ever played an MMO without any PvP in it. It might as well be a SPG then for all I care.

I'm not a fan of the whole raiding thing and no PvP would likely be a grind, grind, grind, just to grind, grind and grind some more. Some PvP is a nice and challenging change that often get s the heart really pumping.

There are pure PvE games out there, I just have no idea why I'd want to play one.

imageimage
  • meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

I wouldn't pay a monthly sub to a 100% PvE MMO. I do enjoy PvP and I need it to break up the monotony of PvE. I could imagine playing a PvE only MMO as a casual second MMO played at off hours if it was B2P or F2P or as a main MMO while waiting for the next  PvE/PvP MMO (kind of like I'm doing now playing D3 while waiting on GW2). But play a PvE MMO as my main MMO? Nope that's not for me.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• tinuxnltinuxnl Member CommonPosts: 4

Yes, I'd love a PvE only MMO :)

Why: because I suck at PvP and always get beaten by a 15 yrs old or by someone with an asian level. Besides that, I like sharing victory with my friends/guild/team.

• SpellforgedSpellforged Member UncommonPosts: 458

This isn't really even worth discussing since there's already a ton of MMO's without PvP.  They're successful enough and are still up and running, so the answer is obviously yes.

Personally, I think PvP is only worth exisiting in MMO's if it requires skill or puts players in a situation where they've got something to lose.   The current gear-based nothing to lose WoW style PvP is pretty lame and pointless, in my opinion.

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

Definitely.  PvP generally isn't my thing (probably because I'm not that great at it lol).  I don't mind it being part of a game but I wouldn't avoid a game without it.  I would avoid a game without PvE, however.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!