Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

are characters in MO locked in first person?

er99er99 Member CommonPosts: 101

i vaguely remember trying an MMO a while back i think might be MO and didn't like it because my character was locked in first person view. it seems iv'e used my trial up some time ago but cant remember.

Comments

• er99er99 Member CommonPosts: 101

never mind...should have just googled it first. realized it is and was...

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411

Darkfall online allows you to switch to Third person if I am not mistaking, and is somewhat similar to MO.

• psykobillypsykobilly Member Posts: 338
    Originally posted by Toferio

Darkfall online allows you to switch to Third person if I am not mistaking, and is somewhat similar to MO.

Forcing first person is one of the great things about MO.  In Darkfall you can peek around corners, over hills, etc. removing any hope of true stealth.

Now on the other hand, Mortal has ghost scouting which allows players to scout other players in ghost mode with absolutely no risk.

Overall, Darkfall is better than MO because even though you can take advantage of the 3rd person camera view, there is always risk involved.  Mortal's no-risk approach to scouting is absolutely game breaking.  Mortal would have the upper hand if it got rid of ghost scouting.

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

not exactly true, in darkfall you melee in 3rd and magery/archery in first. so you are forced to use first person for some things. In darkfall you have no real control over which camera angle to choose, the game decides for you based on what you are doing.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713

I agree- The forced perspective (First Person) is great...Unfortunatly the rest of the game fails (so far).

Waiting patiently on the Xpac so I  can see how much (and IF) things have changed.

• psykobillypsykobilly Member Posts: 338
    Originally posted by deathshroud

not exactly true, in darkfall you melee in 3rd and magery/archery in first. so you are forced to use first person for some things. In darkfall you have no real control over which camera angle to choose, the game decides for you based on what you are doing.

What are you talking about?  You can choose to be in melee mode any time you want, and switch between melee/magic/archery instantaneously. 

The game does not decide, the player decides.  

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035
    Originally posted by psykobilly

What are you talking about?  You can choose to be in melee mode any time you want, and switch between melee/magic/archery instantaneously. 

~but you can't be in 3rd-person (melee mode) when attempting to speak to NPCs or use the bank or checking for loot.

Last I played, at least, you were forced to go back and forth if you preferred to stay in 3rd primarily. Plus it meant your weapon was always out, and if other players weren't sure you were just brandishing a sword to see in 3rd-person, they would assume you wanted a fight.

Was 'teh dumbzor'.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• username509username509 Member CommonPosts: 635

Now on the other hand, Mortal has ghost scouting which allows players to scout other players in ghost mode with absolutely no risk.

In ghost mode you have extremely blurry vision.  It's hard to see 30 feet in front of you.  Ghost scouting is not a big deal.  In fact I would say it's far better just to scout with a naked player on a horse.  

Never trust a screenshot or a youtube video without a version stamp!

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713
    Originally posted by username509

In ghost mode you have extremely blurry vision.  It's hard to see 30 feet in front of you.  Ghost scouting is not a big deal.  In fact I would say it's far better just to scout with a naked player on a horse.  

I would agree but didnt there used to be a hackfor ghost scouting? Or just a rumor?

• FastSlothFastSloth Member Posts: 132
    Originally posted by SaintPhilip
    Originally posted by username509

I would agree but didnt there used to be a hackfor ghost scouting? Or just a rumor?

Probably. There's also a hack that puts your camera far in front of your character so you can look through bushes, trees, houses etc. The video was on youtube. Not sure if it's still there.

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

what im talking about is exactly what i said in my post, you cant choose to melee in 1st or archery in 3rd. The game chooses your camera angle based on what action you are performing. If your firing a bow your in 1st and if your swinging a sword your in 3rd. The player chooses the action he is performing and not the perspective he wants to perform that action in.

So telling someone who dislikes 1st person to play darkfall because he can play it in 3rd is completely wrong. You cant play the game soley in 3rd person unless you ignore both archery and magery which are 2 crucial aspects of the game.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.