Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A problem plaguing modern MMOs.

13»

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Truelevel

2. Unless the A.I gets a massive overhaul, you plus 5 A.I pets = full group of 6... defeating A.I doesnt require much thinking or planning

Any hard mode raider will disagree with you.

I invite you to PUG a hard mode raid with zero thinking and planning and see how you will do.

• silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526

Lets be honest here, everytime I read threads like these do you know why I usually laugh a little? Because if you were to design a game based on forum opinion a few things are gonna happen.

1. they are gonna complain that is not what they wanted even if it was designed as requested. Lets be honest, coming up with ideas is ez, implementing them is hard.

2. Games designed based on market research tend to be dumb down as fuck, people complain why games are the way they are? is because they decided to listen to people like you...the only difference is that the people complaining here are mad because they did not ask them.

3. If you were to design a game based on forum feedback EVERY game will end up being the same. 

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by silvermember

Lets be honest here, everytime I read threads like these do you know why I usually laugh a little? Because if you were to design a game based on forum opinion a few things are gonna happen.

1. they are gonna complain that is not what they wanted even if it was designed as requested. Lets be honest, coming up with ideas is ez, implementing them is hard.

2. Games designed based on market research tend to be dumb down as fuck, people complain why games are the way they are? is because they decided to listen to people like you...the only difference is that the people complaining here are mad because they did not ask them.

3. If you were to design a game based on forum feedback EVERY game will end up being the same. 

+1

If the majority of people on these forums had a significant impact on how MMOs were being made, I'd probably stop playing MMOs altogether until that changed. The truth is that most people make for HORRIBLE game designers. One of the most frustrating things about design, is it takes years to learn how to really get good at it, and yet any idiot on the street thinks they can do it better than people who have dedicated their lives to it.

Every good designer, with experience, has at least 10,000 decent / good / great ideas that haven't made it into their games. Just because something sounds good on paper does not mean it will work well in a game environment. There are always sacrifices that need to be made. Some decisions will have to get scrapped for the good of the whole, even if they were really interesting ideas. A good designer knows this.

I'd seriously like to see some of these people trying to backseat design an MMO actually try and make a game themselves. Doesn't have to be an MMO, just any original game. The experience I'm sure would be an eye opener for those that actually tried it. And if you can't make a simple game, you certainly can't make an MMO.

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by Truelevel
    2. Unless the A.I gets a massive overhaul, you plus 5 A.I pets = full group of 6... defeating A.I doesnt require much thinking or planning
    Any hard mode raider will disagree with you.

I invite you to PUG a hard mode raid with zero thinking and planning and see how you will do.

Well, obviously if you give solo players A.I. companions that have stats as powerful as hardmode raid bosses, that would be a different matter. I think Truelevel is talking about A.I. companions on par with a player character, for stat power.