Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buddy keys are a joke...

GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030

Seriously, who's going to download this massive client just to play for a single day?  It has to be the shortest trial ever released before.. It's a great game but this is just to funny.

Well anyways, I have a key if anyone wants it.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

Comments

• AsalzSyAsalzSy Member UncommonPosts: 230

i have the client allrdy & i want the key pls..

• Lunny08Lunny08 Member Posts: 120

I need a key if anyone else has one? They expire soon I think :O

• ghost_alex91ghost_alex91 Member CommonPosts: 6

Can I please have a buddy key because I first wanna test out if my laptop can actually play the game.

Thank you

• Lunny08Lunny08 Member Posts: 120

There is nothing wrong with asking for keys, some people wouldn't use theirs anyway so they might as well give them away.

• dancingstardancingstar Member UncommonPosts: 362

Mods: Can we please have a single stickied thread for buddy key requests / offers so the first two pages don't get cluttered up with them?

• BigRock411BigRock411 Member Posts: 299

Seems to target people who were in beta and didnt like the game, since i did improve significantly since the betas.

• TerronteTerronte Member Posts: 321

It entertains me that people say you can't know if a game is good or not until you've played it over a month... (hah) Then funcom gives out buddy keys for 1 day. Hopefully people dont activate the key before they download the client. They'd probably get 2 hours playtime.

• dancingstardancingstar Member UncommonPosts: 362
    Originally posted by Terronte

It entertains me that people say you can't know if a game is good or not until you've played it over a month... (hah) Then funcom gives out buddy keys for 1 day. Hopefully people dont activate the key before they download the client. They'd probably get 2 hours playtime.

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=40597

In particular:

"Your friend's 24 hours does not start until they first log into the client."

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039

I kind of agreed, 24h, that is perhaps 1 or 2 play sessions. But seeing that it is so close form launch and that the servers are getting full from subscriber (or at least those that bougth the game) I also understands that it is perhaps a bit soon to release an ordinary free trial.

But meh.

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

I went to Costco yesterday and they gave a sample of some Pico de Gallo with 4 chips... I mean wtf! Who eats just 4 chips... this is so lame. I'll never buy that dip or go to Costco ever again for that matter.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384
    Originally posted by Iselin

I went to Costco yesterday and they gave a sample of some Pico de Gallo with 4 chips... I mean wtf! Who eats just 4 chips... this is so lame. I'll never buy that dip or go to Costco ever again for that matter.

someone clearly doesnt get the point of the post.

30 gig download for less than 24 hours of playtime is insane, plain and simple.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• Zookz1Zookz1 Member Posts: 629

Really? People will bitch about anything. You're getting a chance to play the game for free for a few hours and you want to complain about it? Is it really so terrible that you have to download a large client that requires virtually no effort on your part. Try saying thanks for they key and go see if you enjoy the first few hours of the game. Fucking hell, humans are a ungrateful whiny bunch.

But you did not go there solely to get four chips. At least I hope so.

Originally posted by Vutar

Really not seeing the issue with this. The entire point of a buddy key is to let someone try they game out to see if they like it. 24 hours is plenty of time to do that.

Even 2 hours is plenty of time to test a game. At some point you will think they are being to 'cheap' some draw that line above 24h and some don't.

This is goodwill that can go bad. But it is free either way.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by warmaster670

No I got the point: 30 GB DL is the excuse for the Whine about 24 hrs... 10GB? Does that nake it all better? Doubt it, since i's a whine about 24 hrs... read between the lines and not just where the OP wants to lead you by the nose.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

It shuold be hours of game play. . even 8 hours of gameplay is better than 24 hours timer.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578
    Originally posted by Terronte

It would seem to me anyone wanting a 24 hr key would be very interested in purchasing the game..

It only takes a couple hours or less to know if you like the game..

But It takes 30 days to know how long you will be playing it..

Playing GW2..

• BlackndBlacknd Member Posts: 600
    Originally posted by Aethaeryn

It shuold be hours of game play. . even 8 hours of gameplay is better than 24 hours timer.

The 24 hour timer doesn't start until the player logs in to the client. It's fully patched by then.

.. But in a good way.

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

The actual download is 10-12gb that gets uncompressed to 30gb, and as pointed out, they 24hours doesn't start until you login with the client. I live in a small town in Norway and can download the client in slightly more than an hour. If I had live in Sweden I could probably have gotten the client while getting a cup of coffe.

... ok, I see the problem if you are living in some place with weasels carrying the TCPIP packages, but in that case, just copy the game from your buddy on a USB stick.

What is a joke is people complaining when they get something for free. ;)

Originally posted by Blacknd
    Originally posted by Aethaeryn

The 24 hour timer doesn't start until the player logs in to the client. It's fully patched by then.

I get that.  I just think that it should be an in game timer.  Someone like me might only be able to play 2 hours in a 24 hours period.  Someone else might be able to play for . . well 24 hours. 

I did 1 beta weekend and was on the fence but had a good time.  a 24 window will not let me experiement enough with release etc. to know if I want to buy it.  I get that I will have to wait but I think switching it to something like 8 hours in game for the buddy key would be more useful to many people.  I could play. . log out check a web page about something and then play again.

Originally posted by Blackbrrd

The actual download is 10-12gb that gets uncompressed to 30gb, and as pointed out, they 24hours doesn't start until you login with the client. I live in a small town in Norway and can download the client in slightly more than an hour. If I had live in Sweden I could probably have gotten the client while getting a cup of coffe.

... ok, I see the problem if you are living in some place with weasels carrying the TCPIP packages, but in that case, just copy the game from your buddy on a USB stick.

What is a joke is people complaining when they get something for free. ;)

If you wanted to try Juicy Fruit I could give you one stick or I could give you the one I was chewing. . I am guessing you would want the first one and would not bother with the second.   It is not complaining but trying to point out something that might limit the effectivenemess of the purpose of the buddy key.  Lets say they made it 48 hours. . would that be more likley to have someone sub?  Maybe. . would it cost them anything (aside from bandwidth). . no.  It might just be a better idea.  A lot of inovations came about because of people complaining about something that didn't work the way they wanted it to.   :)

When someone offers a "Free" trial. . it is not something for free. . it is a marketing strategy.

• DreamionDreamion Member UncommonPosts: 287

Ye, imo it should be 24 hours in-game, that should be more than enough to get a feeling of the game.

After some thought, maybe 4-5 hours should do it, since 24 is FAR more than enough..

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Complaining used to have an artform to it these days you just get complainers who want everything on a plate. Including life, bugs the bejesus out of me.

All I need is 30 minutes with a game to determine if I like it, TSW maybe an hour or 2 cause the systems can take some getting used to. 24 hours is plenty.

Originally posted by Wicoa

Complaining used to have an artform to it these days you just get complainers who want everything on a plate. Including life, bugs the bejesus out of me.

All I need is 30 minutes with a game to determine if I like it, TSW maybe an hour or 2 cause the systems can take some getting used to. 24 hours is plenty.

I guess my point is that 24 hours sequential clock time does not seem as useful as 8 hours in game time.  It would give a wider group of people a greater chance to experience the game.  Just my thoughts though on a possible solution that might work for more people.  I am sure it is harder to implement though. 

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384
    Originally posted by warmaster670

No I got the point: 30 GB DL is the excuse for the Whine about 24 hrs... 10GB? Does that nake it all better? Doubt it, since i's a whine about 24 hrs... read between the lines and not just where the OP wants to lead you by the nose.

So I should just make up stuff the op said instead of actually reading the op, gotcha.

apparently you didnt read the post, since it is very clearly about teh fact that the cliet is huge and the trial is tiny.

Originally posted by GwapoJosh

Seriously, who's going to download this massive client just to play for a single day?

That part should haver given it away for you.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

This discussion has been closed.