Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Xfire - TSW 3rd most played MMO

bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

According to Xfire it looks like TSW is the 3rd most played MMO behind only WoW and Swtor. To add to that I think Xfire just started working with TSW for the majority of players today.

http://www.xfire.com/genre/mmo/massively_multiplayer_online/

Not too shabby for a luanch if you ask me image  It looks like TSW may even pass swtor by Aug. 28 making it the 2nd most played MMO. We all know come Aug. 28 GW2 will shoot up to number two during it's launch.

I'm thinking TSW will settle in as the 3rd most played MMO for while depending on how well GW2 holds it's players. 

gogo TSW!

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

Comments

• TerronteTerronte Member Posts: 321

So a month from now when the opposite end of the spectrum comes in and says TSW players down 90%, will that be valid too?

I've never known anyone to use xfire, so I'm thinking it's just not a very useful tool.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

/sigh

Here we go with Xfire again. Wonder how many pages this one will get to? It it were to end up being the third most played mmo in the long term that would be nice.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811
    Originally posted by Terronte

So a month from now when the opposite end of the spectrum comes in and says TSW players down 90%, will that be valid too?

I've never known anyone to use xfire, so I'm thinking it's just not a very useful tool.

It's useful, but there are two things you need it to be of any use:

• official numbers of players (for reference)
    • that it works with the game in question
    • there isn't a huge change in the player base (launch, free trials, etc)
    To me, the xfire numbers for TSW are atm not useable for anything since none of the conditions above are met.
    You also have to take into account that xfire is loosing players - around 15% a quarter. They stopped posting th numbers, so hard to verify now. :/
  • SebberSebber Member Posts: 221
    Originally posted by bcbully

According to Xfire it looks like TSW is the 3rd most played MMO behind only WoW and Swtor. To add to that I think Xfire just started working with TSW for the majority of players today.

http://www.xfire.com/genre/mmo/massively_multiplayer_online/

Not too shabby for a luanch if you ask me image  It looks like TSW may even pass swtor by Aug. 28 making it the 2nd most played MMO. We all know come Aug. 28 GW2 will shoot up to number two during it's launch.

I'm thinking TSW will settle in as the 3rd most played MMO for while depending on how well GW2 holds it's players. 

gogo TSW!

GW2 reach top 10 overall in the beta's.... TSW i not going to beat GW2.

• umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519

Right now, the Xfire numbers are irrelevant. My only question is: will this game grow like World of Warcraft did, or will it begin to fade away, never to touch its original retail numbers like.. well... almost every single other MMORPG released in the Western World. 

• ValuaValua Member Posts: 520

Woah, WoW is really dominating those numbers.

Doesn't look like any game coming out in the near future will be able to come close to those numbers for XFire users :D

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

^

This

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921
    Originally posted by bcbully

Of course it will, and a few months after when the next big MMO train launches that will be number 2... and the next flavour of  the month after that....

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71

^

This

Was about to say the same (on both occasions). Of course numbers sky-rocket at release. Lets just wait a month or 2 and see what will remain of the playerbase that TSW (or whatever new game is released) will remain...

• BeilochBeiloch Member UncommonPosts: 75

I use Raptr myself. Even though i use it to log in Xfire username it doesn't send tracking info to Xfire servers.

• Poison_AdelePoison_Adele Member CommonPosts: 287

I think the ones slightly lower on the list are more interesting.

Guild Wars 1 is still pretty well up there--wow.

EVE, no surprise.

What the #@%$ is Metin 2?

And who plays a racing MMORPG?

That list does seem to be pretty skewed. LOTR, GW1, and EVE make sense but I'm really surprised to see Metin 2 and a racing MMORPG up near the top.

• tarestares Member Posts: 381
    Originally posted by Poison_Adele

I think the ones slightly lower on the list are more interesting.

Guild Wars 1 is still pretty well up there--wow.

EVE, no surprise.

What the #@%$ is Metin 2?

And who plays a racing MMORPG?

That list does seem to be pretty skewed. LOTR, GW1, and EVE make sense but I'm really surprised to see Metin 2 and a racing MMORPG up near the top.

In some games, Xfire is used to communicate or find players, just ignore those.  I can't remember the games but I used it a couple of times for user created worlds in some RPG, maybe neverwinter knights.  When numbers are posted by companies, and Funcom should release numbers next month, the numbers usually line up with Xfire.  Is uncanny.

Xfire is likely dying in favor of raptyr, but there are still tons of Xfire users,  Later on when I don't see 10,000 players in games that sell 8 million + , then the validity will become suspect, maybe two years from now, will be soon for sure as tech trends change and xfire is getting phased out.

• blackhawkzzblackhawkzz Member Posts: 53

It will most likely continue to grow as more people figure out x-fire is working but there is no way of gauging a game on x-fire alone one mmo may have an older fan base which has never used x-fire while on the other hand another may have a large percentage of its players using x-fire.

Originally posted by blackhawkzz

It will most likely continue to grow as more people figure out x-fire is working but there is no way of gauging a game on x-fire alone one mmo may have an older fan base which has never used x-fire while on the other hand another may have a large percentage of its players using x-fire.

MMO players average age is 28 +/- 2 years of age.  Is consistent with MMOs, works pretty well in other games. If anything, x fire players seem to be older as evident but the popularity of older games, counter strike, call of duty 2. For MMOs, I don't know but it works well enough for spoting trends and often is correct as to the rank when numbers get released by two MMOs. For instance, Age of Conan and eve online declared 400,000 players and where at the same spot eve is but at different times.

• blackhawkzzblackhawkzz Member Posts: 53

Correlation could be correct but seeing as alot of people couldn't get xfire to work for tsw it might take a few days to realise its true numbers.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

It is a great game with a great story. Didn't like it at first but now Ragnar got me hooked.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551

I'm surprised it didn't beat SWTOR.  But that is only now...there isn't much competition out there..... wait till it goes f2p and GW2 comes out!

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by tares

MMO players average age is 28 +/- 2 years of age.  Is consistent with MMOs, works pretty well in other games. If anything, x fire players seem to be older as evident but the popularity of older games, counter strike, call of duty 2. For MMOs, I don't know but it works well enough for spoting trends and often is correct as to the rank when numbers get released by two MMOs. For instance, Age of Conan and eve online declared 400,000 players and where at the same spot eve is but at different times.

The popularity of certain games amongst the average x-fire users may also indicate a bias toward certain game types.

Like most gamers, X-fire users most probably dive into any new hyped titles that are released. The usage figures for those games then spike around release. But not long after, they fall off sharply, as the average X-Fire user goes back to playing what they love best (Counterstrike ?)... image

• IrusIrus Member Posts: 774

Sweet. I really hope TSW does well in the long run.

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039

Riddle me this.

How many like me that loves the game, have installed Xfire to promote TSW the last week and now got it working? 

Compared to those games -ers already on the list that uses Xfire regurarly?

----

I have not installed Xfire, nor will I, I'm just saying that tool have to many faults... It is just a hype thing, like so many others, if one does not stop subscribing to TSW you may find that they jsut stopped using Xfire.

Come back in 3-5 months down the road and you'll get less invalid data on Xfire and TSW.

It is not a competition of whom plays the most popular game :vov:

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

On teh validity of Xfire

(1) How many people do you know  who have been contacted by Gallup for a poll?

(2) Do any of your buds got a  Neilson box on his TV ? Just personaly speaking I have to answetr zero to both of those questions, however that does not mean they are inaccurate

That being said  I would not compare game A to game B by the Xfire numbers but it can be a accurate indicator of the game to itself. When a game clims higher in Xfire then more people who  are also Xfire users are playing it, when it falls lower fewer players who also use Xfire are playing it

The best indicator of a games overall popularity in my opinion is the web traffic it recieves. You can track that using Alexa http://www.alexa.com/  and Quantcast tools http://www.quantcast.com/. Another good indicator is Google trends http://www.google.com/trends/

I miss DAoC

Originally posted by SpottyGekko
    Originally posted by tares

The popularity of certain games amongst the average x-fire users may also indicate a bias toward certain game types.

Like most gamers, X-fire users most probably dive into any new hyped titles that are released. The usage figures for those games then spike around release. But not long after, they fall off sharply, as the average X-Fire user goes back to playing what they love best (Counterstrike ?)... image

That is what has been happening, I don't see CS dip but WoW or another MMO loses players on a new launch and then they quit and go back.  It is what I do and what all gamers do we play something like crazy and try something new and if it is awesome we stay with it, if not we go back to our staple game.  I left Tera for D3 and instead of going back to Tera went to my staple.

IDK it just works, League of legends was pretty meh, then once it went free to play it shot up to number 1 and I encounter players all over the place now.  It released 3 years ago but only recently became the top game.

• OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498
    Originally posted by Jackdog

On teh validity of Xfire

(2) Do any of your buds got a  Neilson box on his TV ? Just personaly speaking I have to answetr zero to both of those questions, however that does not mean they are inaccurate

That being said  I would not compare game A to game B by the Xfire numbers but it can be a accurate indicator of the game to itself. When a game clims higher in Xfire then more people who  are also Xfire users are playing it, when it falls lower fewer players who also use Xfire are playing it

The best indicator of a games overall popularity in my opinion is the web traffic it recieves. You can track that using Alexa http://www.alexa.com/  and Quantcast tools http://www.quantcast.com/. Another good indicator is Google trends http://www.google.com/trends/

I actually do Gallup polls all the time :)

• NightCloakNightCloak Member UncommonPosts: 452
    Originally posted by Jackdog

On teh validity of Xfire

This to a degree.

Its less about the X-Fire data being useless and more about the vast majority of assumptions misinterpreting the data and makeing false claims with the data. 

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

Xfire also, 'proved' , SWTOR is dead,.  It must be true because people, with no agenda then spreading the truth, told me so on these forums....

Come back with something better, fanks!

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!