Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Racial abilities/advantages?

JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880

I haven't experimented with the special racial abilities like transforms etc.

My question is, are any of these abilities significant?  I'd rather just pick whatever race appeals to me cosmeticly.  

Wondering what everyone's experiences are so far with the various racial abilities and if any of them are meaningful vs those available to a different race.

Comments

• Poison_AdelePoison_Adele Member CommonPosts: 287
    Originally posted by Justsomenoob

My question is, are any of these abilities significant?  I'd rather just pick whatever race appeals to me cosmeticly.  

Wondering what everyone's experiences are so far with the various racial abilities and if any of them are meaningful vs those available to a different race.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Racial_skill

Not really. I recall a dev interview at some point where they said that the abilities were for flavor but were slightly underpowered. Theoretically there could be a race/class combination that has a racial skill which fills in some hole in a very specific build but that's the only situation where race is really going to matter.

• SebberSebber Member Posts: 221
    Originally posted by Justsomenoob

You will not be able to use racial abilities in spvp, and they are worse than the other elite skills.

• QuenchsterQuenchster Member Posts: 450

Some of them can be useful for some classes if there are spells that work great to fill in a utility skill slot that just doesn't have a very good class utility skill for the playstyle you are going to play, but I found just about always there was a better utility skill to use from the class skills. Traits cannot give any benefits to the racial skills. If that wasn't the case I might have actually considered taking a Charr racial skill up on my support warrior in beta for another support skill.

The racial skills still make good filler for when you are low level and cannot get your hands on the advanced trait tiers.

• atziluthatziluth Member UncommonPosts: 1,190

I found the support skills to be situational and about on par with the other moderately powered support skills. 

For example Call Owl is a decent support skill to add extra dmg on a warrior (works best with swords or rifle). Has a short cooldown too (20 sec) which means it is up quite often at the start of combat. 

-Atziluth-

- Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

• andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970

Kinda hope they buff the racial skills so people will actually use them. It would add some race diversity in PvE other than looks. But I get that they have to be carefull with it or people will end up > Looking for charr guardian because with X skill and Y weapon set makes you the uber leet support. (Just an example. )