Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FREE CLOTHES! (please sticky?)

Like everyone else I love FREE stuff! I have a feeling more and more companies and web sites will be getting in on the clothing/advertising bandwagon for The Secret World.

So what I would like to do is have a thread that tells us where to go and how to get the items.

I only know of two so far:

* The totally fab mmorpg.com tees. You get two, black and white. You have to register with the site and then go here:

http://www.mmorpg.com/giveaways.cfm/offer/357/Get-Your-MMORPGcom-TShirt-For-The-Secret-World.html

At the time of this writing a little under 1500 tee-keys left.

* curse.com offers a free tee, black with flames. You need to register on the site then go here:

http://www.curse.com/digital-giveaways/secret-world-curse-t-shirt

More to come!

Comments

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

Sigh. Are people really seeing this as just free stuff isntead of what it clearly is? Its ingame advertising. I ask that this thread NOT be stickies. Only because I believe supporting ads ingame is a big mistake. The more players get the "free stuff" thats nothing but advertising the mroe you will see it. Soon you can run around in your cool Pepsi T-shirt!

• SevenwindSevenwind Member UncommonPosts: 2,188

I didn't have to download the client from curse.com. 

.. .... .- - . - .-. --- .-.. .-.. ... .-- .... --- .-. . .--. --- .-. - .-.-.-

--------------------------------------------------------
    Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

• ashleymorrowashleymorrow Member Posts: 176

I would love a Pepsi tee!

Thanks Sevenwind, good to know!

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384
    Originally posted by xenogias

Sigh. Are people really seeing this as just free stuff isntead of what it clearly is? Its ingame advertising. I ask that this thread NOT be stickies. Only because I believe supporting ads ingame is a big mistake. The more players get the "free stuff" thats nothing but advertising the mroe you will see it. Soon you can run around in your cool Pepsi T-shirt!

So I take it you dont know what free is? if someone gives me a real life shirt, that has a band logo on it, the shirt is still free, nothing has changed.

Why ont you go complain to the clothing store owners instead of whining here about in gam  shirts.

oh noes! heaven forbid someone see a shirt in game and find out mmorpg.com exists! its the end of the world!

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• retye50retye50 Member UncommonPosts: 50
    I want a throw back Mt. Dew shirt!
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

It's advertising but I think it's cool. I don't play The Secret World but this is a nice thing.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• GhabboGhabbo Member UncommonPosts: 263

Frankly, I don't see the problem in a game set in the modern-day real world.... I mean, I'd use a MMORPG t-shirt in RL image

I really didn't think this would be controversial. We see logos on clothing all the time in the real world. The Nike swoosh, etc. 

But I can understand how wearing an item that clearly is advertising might not be for some people. I respect that. For the people like me who don't mind, though, one thread that listed them all would be nice. I don't see how stickying it would in any way affect you one way or another? 

Originally posted by retye50
    I want a throw back Mt. Dew shirt!

or Sprite!

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

I'll leave it up to the individual to make that choice. I mean it's not like you do absolutely NO advertising for companies in real life right? Unless of course everything you use is homemade...cars, clothes, food, that computer you're sitting in front of. It's all around us brah, we are a consumer based world now.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• badgerAlumbadgerAlum Member Posts: 27

Of course we see it for what it is.  The thing is, though, this game is set in the real world.  It doesn't conflict with the lore in any way.  In fact, if they threw in google tshirts or "Twilight" shirts (as lame as those would be...), they would directly relate to some of the story and pop culture references.  

I for one proudly wear my "I want to believe" shirt in game, knowing full well I'm supporting the greatest TV series ever created.

• TalgenTalgen Member UncommonPosts: 400

I'm sorry, but people wear t-shirts IRL all the time that advertise stuff.. everything from pepsi to Chevy to hell, even a shirt with a Polo logo -  there's a 90% chance any shirt you put on is advertising something.  So I dont see the big deal about wearing the same in a game set in the modern world.

edit: I spelled Chevy wrong....wow

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893

I ride mountain bikes. A lot. At any onr time I have a 661, GT, Rockshox, SRAM, Shimano, WTB, Funn and NC-17 logos plastered all over my body. It's just not that big a deal and yeah, it's free clothes. I remenber playing rift and seeing the name of a few big websites in the guild names that were running around there. Wasn't that the same thing?

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• retye50retye50 Member UncommonPosts: 50

I could be wrong .... wouldn't said company have to pay for thier advertisment?

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Do they sell mmorpg.com rl t-shirts? I'd buy one. Can't wait for the GW2 t-shirts, I'll buy those too, lol.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039

Speak for yourself.Personally I wear a t-shirt at home advertising a brand that I like. In this game I have just recently sent an email to a computer manufacturer to tip them off this game, with the sole reason that I want to have one.

But you are right ofcourse, we should pay for this ad from the cash-shop, much like we do out of game: http://store.eveonline.com/Apparel-C22.aspx

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

Originally posted by retye50

I could be wrong .... wouldn't said company have to pay for thier advertisment?

My guess is that many will, but you will have some sites like mmorpg.com who traded services. I imagine that is what mmorpg.com did, exchange ad space for in-game advertising. Win/win for all involved, and the players get a cool article of clothing! I don't see any downside.

Now for a company like, say,  Ford or something? They may have to pay. And that money will help Fun Com and, in a way, help us since they have more money to work with.

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039

'to the OP, I would report this post for sticky if you looked as this thread here;  http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/231627/Game-Info-Collection-Thread.html

Perhaps followed that, updated and continue to do so with either suggestions in thread and so on. That particular thread have not been updated since 2009. 

It could easily be a section for free clothes in such a post.

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

Originally posted by Orphes

'to the OP, I would report this post for sticky if you looked as this thread here;  http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/231627/Game-Info-Collection-Thread.html

Perhaps followed that, updated and continue to do so with either suggestions in thread and so on. That particular thread have not been updated since 2009. 

It could easily be a section for free clothes in such a post.

That's a great idea, thank you!

• sfc1971sfc1971 Member UncommonPosts: 421

I take it the people who are against in game advertising never seen in game advertising.

Racing games often use real logo's but have to beg or pay for usage. No oil company is going to pay to have its historic logo displayed in for instance Grand Prix Legends (best racing sim ever).

You can see this in games like Mafia and GTA where the cars and weapons have fictional names because the real names would cost money to use. 

Very few companies are intrested in paying a game maker for including their real world objects in the game. Product placement just hasn't arrived yet in games, the audience is way to small. Remember that more people watch a soccer match in a tiny country such as Holland then WoW has players. TSW population? Insignificant for an advertiser such as Coca Cola or Ford.

When a company does pay a game maker, the advertising is far more intrusive and less fitting. Expect a screen filling page that can't be clicked away until a timer has run out. Big names won't be intrested. Pizza hut tried with everquest in allowing you to order a pizza from the game but it never took off.

These T-shirts are probably just like all those other give-aways and contests and "exclusive" interviews. MMORPG gets payed for the banner add for TSW but it also needs to offer its viewers goodies because else another site would.

Nobody is going to look at my avatar and visit mmorpg or curse just because of it. If any money changed hands for this deal, it would be TSW paying MMORPG, not the other way around.

If you look at the number of mobs for games as Fallout to replace the fake products with real ones, most players like product placement for free. It just feels silly to on tv when a beer bottle has no label because they couldn't get a product placement deal.

How much better would TSW be if it had coca cola machines, UPS trucks, Ford cars and real name weapons? In my opinion LOTS!

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

As long as it's part of the environment and not intrusive to my playtime or experience, I have no problem with it.

People wearing t-shirts with a logo on it is not a big deal. It's a t-shirt. With a logo. Big deal.

Even if they added billboards advertising stuff, it wouldn't bother me, because it would be appropriate to the setting - modern day, real world. It's the kind of thing I would expect to see.

Now, if they started doing it where it was intrusive, with pop-up ads, or otherwise things that are "in your face" demanding your attention, rather than "just there", then it would be a an issue to me. If they were showing up in-game to the point where you couldn't walk 10 feet without seeing another ad, it would get on my nerves - and would likely have the unintended effect of making me lose interest in the advertised product/service.

I remember in the Matrix Online, they had ads for real world items on their billboards and it was actually kind of cool, again, because Matrix is supposed to be the "real world".

So, having a mmorpg.com, or curse t-shirt in-game? So what? It's not hampering anyone's ability to play or enjoy the game, unless they let it. But then that's their problem.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

What's wrong with Pepsi T-shirt? I like Pepsi. Not to mention IRL references, names, etc, suits perfectly fine the game. If I see a Pepsi shirt on a guy in some fairy fantasy mmorpg then we have a problem.

• SevenwindSevenwind Member UncommonPosts: 2,188

.. .... .- - . - .-. --- .-.. .-.. ... .-- .... --- .-. . .--. --- .-. - .-.-.-

--------------------------------------------------------
    Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

You know... this thread has made me think that there's potential here for targetted viral marketting in TSW.

So far we have seen free Ts from a few sources... but how about some starving young clothing designer giving away a whole clothing line, not just Ts?

The graphics are certainly good enough and if the items are cool , I can see a game > RL crossover real easy.

Just a thought.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314

I don't see a problem with advertisement. If people want to support their favorite companies, then they have evry right to. In doing so, they are also supporting Funcom as well.