Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

2 things this game needs

tomr0897tomr0897 Raymond, WAPosts: 13Member Common

Updated combat , really bad

New avatar creation.

Comments

• BigMangoBigMango BrightonPosts: 1,821Member

Agree 100%.

Lotro has some of the worst melee combat in mmo history. It's a beautiful game (with ageing graphics, could soon need an update), but the combat (at least melee) is soo boring, it's unbelievable.

It's so boring it's a pain to play my champion. I'm only hanging around from time to time for the story.

And I agree on the characters too.

• DestaiDestai Detroit, MIPosts: 574Member

Ah yes, the combat. It's quite unbearable and ruins the experiences for me. I tolerated it for a long time because the rest of the game was gorgeous. Then it went free to play and I went goodbye.

• GruugGruug Chillicothe, ILPosts: 1,311Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by tomr0897

New avatar creation.

I stopped playing it shortly after it went "f2p". But, my question is....what type of combat you you wish (realistically) LOTRO to be update to?

Let's party like it is 1863!

• BigMangoBigMango BrightonPosts: 1,821Member
    Originally posted by Gruug
    Originally posted by tomr0897

New avatar creation.

I stopped playing it shortly after it went "f2p". But, my question is....what type of combat you you wish (realistically) LOTRO to be update to?

Someting dynamic, with impacts where you feel like you are hitting someting.

Take L2, AoC, Tera for example. A DPS melee class feels strong and furious. Lotro has no melee DPS. The champion is a boring snorefest.

Look at L2, that game was a grind with no quests. But the combat was so fun it alone kept me playing for nights. Lotro combat is painfully boring.

• buden-ninjabuden-ninja KobePosts: 53Member

I agree with the boring combat. It is always the same. I proc a bleed, they proc a bleed. Repeat on the next mob. I will go back to LotRO when they make the traits more accessible. Every time I think about going back, I remind myself that eventually, I will have to kill 450 wargs in one zone to get +1 in a trait. I know I don't have to but if I want to get the most out of my character, it is expected. I realize that they wanted to do something different from the usual skill trees but how could they think that killing heaps of animals/goblins/orcs/spiders was a good idea?? Ugh. Otherwise it is great. I love the setting and the classes are fun. 

• KarahandrasKarahandras Sible HedinghamPosts: 1,676Member Uncommon

I think these have been an issue from the beginning, unlikely they'll change now.

• buden-ninjabuden-ninja KobePosts: 53Member

True. Those scrolls in the store help though. I used my VIP points for those and the crafting accelerating ones. 

• PsyMike3dPsyMike3d AthensPosts: 388Member Uncommon

they must remake the whole game! They have one of the best  rpg  titles, with tons of lore,places,characters! You can't have that important title and make such a bad game...

Imagine a game with that huge lore, with factions(able to create and play even as orcs,goblins, trolls etc.), dungeons, wars and sieges! Thats the LoTRo i wish...

• COORSCOORS who cares, MDPosts: 348Member Uncommon

I also have to agree. Everytime I go back within days I'm bored to death. The setting is wonderful and the world is amazing, but the combat is meh... at best.

• ktanner3ktanner3 lakeland, FLPosts: 4,074Member Common
    Originally posted by PsyMike3d

they must remake the whole game! They have one of the best  rpg  titles, with tons of lore,places,characters! You can't have that important title and make such a bad game...

Imagine a game with that huge lore, with factions(able to create and play even as orcs,goblins, trolls etc.), dungeons, wars and sieges! Thats the LoTRo i wish...

So far this has been my biggest gripe. That and the whole text questing thing which just seems so passe now.

Currently Playing: Star Wars The Old Republic

• Garvon3Garvon3 Worcester, MAPosts: 2,898Member

The solo orientation of the game, the combat, and the rampant instancing is what initially turned me off to this game.

I'd say what the game sorely needs on a realistic level, is an option to subscribe and unlock all the content the game has to offer (not currently where you become VIP but still don't have access to all you used to). And combat that actually feels kinetic. I don't want a floating word to tell me I blocked, I wanna see it.

Now, for unrealistic, what I want is this game to roll everything back to the alpha code, when it was still called Middle Earth Online, had no instancing, and focused on sandbox community driven gameplay.

I'm tired of zones being layed out in a linear progression. I'm tired of the invisible walls. I'm tired of how anti social all the game mechanics are (with the exception of a few, like instruments). I'm tired of the dungeons I can't enter without quests. I'm tired of the zones that just insta kill you, punishing you for exploring, if you haven't done the right quests. I'm tired of the lack of death penalty. I'm tired of no one just grouping for fun, but instead they only group for the rare group step and disband immediately after. I'm tired of the quest based leveling, which reduces almost all quests down to an unbearably repetative and uncreative level. I'm tired of remembering all the features that were cut from Middle Earth Online to essentially create a WoW clone as a quick cash in. The most prolific IP in all RPG history, and it produced such a ...forgettable game.

So, now that I've gotten all my unrealistic wishes out of the way, can you tell I cut my teeth on the golden age MMOs? :D

Though I disagree with the above. I'm not sure it'd make much sense to let people play as orcs. Orcs were supposed to be mindless slaves. I think the Monster Play system was a great compromise, just not taken far enough. Having big sieges is a must for this IP!

• huskie77huskie77 Nowhere, NEPosts: 354Member

actually the #1 thing this game needs is paying customers.

They need more income to make spending money conceivable. At this point it's a dwindling cash source for the company. It would take a big influx of either consumer investment(spending) or private investment in further development. I don't see the second happening.

Great game regardless.

• HellSingsHellSings Toronto, ONPosts: 185Member

Never played this game but I heard the quests were terrible. Is this true?

• Garvon3Garvon3 Worcester, MAPosts: 2,898Member
    Originally posted by raven29

The lore behind the quests are generally better than your average WoW clone, simply because it's based on Tolkien writing and feels less artificial. But since questing is the only way to level up that means theres hundreds of quests, and almost all of them are pointless time wasters. So yes, they're pretty bad. Even the odd story significant quests are pretty bad, because they directly contradict the lore the game is based on.

I'm surprised more companies haven't realized it yet, but when you make your entire game based around quests, the quests are almost always pretty terrible, no matter how much manpower you sink into dressing them up.

And LotRo is losing money, even now, because there's just not enough to make it stand out. It's the same reason all WoW clones since 2004 have failed. These games just do not have good game design, nor do they have the marketing budget that Blizzard has to make up for their lack of good game design, the way WoW does.

Edit: It also probably doesn't help that their FTP system is almost crippling and a big ripoff to the customer.

• GruugGruug Chillicothe, ILPosts: 1,311Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by huskie77

actually the #1 thing this game needs is paying customers.

They need more income to make spending money conceivable. At this point it's a dwindling cash source for the company. It would take a big influx of either consumer investment(spending) or private investment in further development. I don't see the second happening.

Great game regardless.

Wait! You mean all those people (and Turbine themselves) saying that LOTRO new "freemium" pay model is such a great success are lying? No one is paying for the game because it is suppose to be "free". Why would any expect them to recieve an "income"?

Let's party like it is 1863!

• HellSingsHellSings Toronto, ONPosts: 185Member
    Originally posted by Garvon3
    Originally posted by raven29

The lore behind the quests are generally better than your average WoW clone, simply because it's based on Tolkien writing and feels less artificial. But since questing is the only way to level up that means theres hundreds of quests, and almost all of them are pointless time wasters. So yes, they're pretty bad. Even the odd story significant quests are pretty bad, because they directly contradict the lore the game is based on.

I'm surprised more companies haven't realized it yet, but when you make your entire game based around quests, the quests are almost always pretty terrible, no matter how much manpower you sink into dressing them up.

And LotRo is losing money, even now, because there's just not enough to make it stand out. It's the same reason all WoW clones since 2004 have failed. These games just do not have good game design, nor do they have the marketing budget that Blizzard has to make up for their lack of good game design, the way WoW does.

Edit: It also probably doesn't help that their FTP system is almost crippling and a big ripoff to the customer.

Thanks for clearing that up.