Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

One of the most hyped games ever?

Comments

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by tares

The advertising budget must be huge as I just saw it on the Evolution screen, An unrelated genre.  Then on day 1 there where over 100 (10) ratings or perfect ratings on every website. They told the invester's that 1.3 million will buy , 400,000 will stay a year, and they will make 33% more profits from subscribers.

Never seen such a hyped game in my short 35 year life.

Stay on topic, please. this is about hype and advertising budget.

edit 0: as lizard pointed, i meant MMO as there are advertisements in all sorts of places compared to swtor or other MMOs, not on TV yet though, but as many in other areas. This is about advertisements, not fan/hater players pr grass roots.

edit1: Tera got put on blast for to many adds but, I see TSW on every website. I am aware there are more GW2 and WoW fans, this isn't about fans. This is about TSW advertisements being everywhere.

Ok on topic

Serously this is the most hyped game you've ever seen? Where have you been asleep all these years? Haven't seen the crap loads of GW2 hype that have the fans praising it as the second coming? Where were you when SW:tor was released? Hell Vanguard, and Darkfall had just as much if not more hype when they were released, and every WoW expansion gets this much or more hype as well. (haven't seen a TSW tv commercial yet, but WoW comercial with, Mr T, Chuck Norris, and William Shatner aren't very rare.

Hype has been here for a long time and if anything TSW has been one of the least hyped games up untill its release. Like it or hate it Hype is here for all games to stay. Its up to the players to not buy into everything they read or hear.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

IF you talk about true hype, and not advertisement, the game falls miles short of the player created hype around GW2.  

In general hype (and advertisement even less) says nothing about the quallity of a game. Unless you investigate the reasons behind the hype.

Funny thing is... 'true hype' IS advertising.

1. Excessive publicity and the ensuing commotion:

2. Exaggerated or extravagant claims made especially in advertising or promotional material:

3. An advertising or promotional ploy:

4. Something deliberately misleading; a deception:

Only one of those doesn't involve advertising.

Only on sites like this, does the definition of hype get so distorted, as to mean anything that holds popular interest. Popular /= hype, sorry. Something being talked about excessively can, technically, be viewed as hype; but only in the most narrow, specific definition of the word.

• EkarosEkaros Member UncommonPosts: 367

Not realy, they have been on this site lot in recent time, but before that you didn't get much info. I think FC wisened up from AoC and didn't promise crap they couldn't deliver.  TSW hasn't been hyped before launch too much.

Not sure of advertising, but I think I saw an add for SW:TOR every week in Metro after it launched for some months... Yeah, it's slow period for MMOs so they seem to be visible here, maybe they aim for core audience too and such have provided lot of material.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

this is probably one of the least hyped AAA MMO games (by the public, anyways) that I can remember in the past 7 years. Although, Rift was pretty under the radar as well.

Joined - July 2004

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

The advertising budget must be huge as I just saw it on the Evolution screen, An unrelated genre.  Then on day 1 there where over 100 (10) ratings or perfect ratings on every website. They told the invester's that 1.3 million will buy , 400,000 will stay a year, and they will make 33% more profits from subscribers.

edit 0: as lizard pointed, i meant MMO as there are advertisements in all sorts of places compared to swtor or other MMOs, not on TV yet though, but as many in other areas. This is about advertisements, not fan/hater players pr grass roots.

edit1: Tera got put on blast for to many adds but, I see TSW on every website. I am aware there are more GW2 and WoW fans, this isn't about fans. This is about TSW advertisements being everywhere.

Its the one good thing Funcom has always been great at, even AoC's advertising was hyped central...

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

There were many overhyped mediocre games: WHO, SWToR to name a few. TSW is just a high quality product which speaks for itself. Almost everyone who played it loves it. Thats why there are good reviews and "thank you Funcom" threads. I personally wasnt even waiting for it and it surprised the hell out of me.

And I dont remember any TSW hype preor to release. Not on the same scale as SWToR and GW2

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    Originally posted by aesperus
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

IF you talk about true hype, and not advertisement, the game falls miles short of the player created hype around GW2.  

In general hype (and advertisement even less) says nothing about the quallity of a game. Unless you investigate the reasons behind the hype.

Funny thing is... 'true hype' IS advertising.

1. Excessive publicity and the ensuing commotion:

2. Exaggerated or extravagant claims made especially in advertising or promotional material:

3. An advertising or promotional ploy:

4. Something deliberately misleading; a deception:

Only one of those doesn't involve advertising.

Only on sites like this, does the definition of hype get so distorted, as to mean anything that holds popular interest. Popular /= hype, sorry. Something being talked about excessively can, technically, be viewed as hype; but only in the most narrow, specific definition of the word.

I was about to post the same defintions because it appears the word hype doesn't mean what the OP thinks it means.

I see TSW as being advertised in normal gaming channels at the time of launch.  Nothing too excessive, nothing deceptive, nothing really exagerated, just a normal marketing campaign.

So no, TSW is not the most over hyped MMORPG I've seen in recent years, in fact, until just recently I would say exactly the opposite, they had a very subtle marketing campaign for the last few years which only recently accelerated as they got close to launch.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

I think if I wasn't a fan of MMORPGs, that I may never had heard of TSW. Honestly, I view it as one of the least hyped AAA MMORPGs ever.

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829

This game was purposefully not hyped by Funcom until very near release.  Funcom took the road of this game is simply is what it is.  It won't appeal to all, but will appeal to a decent many.  They were extremely humble in their approach inlight of AoC launch disaster.

• AdiarisAdiaris Member CommonPosts: 381

So much confusion on what "hype" means and its relation to different forms of promotion...

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

HAHA Hype? Truth be told I only tried this game cause a friend in closed beta sorted me out a key that I mmm'd and ah'd over even actually inputting.  It was way under my radar and was not building any type of hype in my mind.

OP you are barking up the wrong tree in fact you have gone past the tree's and are in the ocean, unless you are mistaking hype for post launch advertising.  In fact pre-launch hype I don't think I even saw one advert.

SWTOR to me was hyped and was/is a cursed fail clone of wow with lightsabers. GW2 has been hyped up the WAZOO.  TSW? In fact if I talk to my friends and they say hey mack what ya playin and I say TSW they have gone TS what.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

So, here I am reading through this set of posts.....

Couple of points:

Several posters have brought up the fact that any MMO will need to produce some hype at launch, duh.

As I have yet to see any ads on TV about TSW I do NOT think they have a huge ad budget, RIFT, WOW, SWTOR all had TV ads.

A poster mentioned that most of the ads you see on the internet are connected to what YOU browse, cookies are nasty little bastards and track more info than I like to admitt. An afternoon of checking out TSW could result in you mostly seeing TSW adds.

[mod edit]

Look TSW is THE triple A launch of the moment. There is going to by hype, from MMO news sites, like this one, players and yes the publisher. TSWs rather quiet launch smacks of a lower amount of hype. In addition to the fact that even though it is a themepark, the setting and base mechanics of TSW are different than basicly most of all the offerings out there, which in and of it self could generate hype.

Just wait till GW2 gets closer, it will be all you see.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by colddog04

I think if I wasn't a fan of MMORPGs, that I may never had heard of TSW. Honestly, I view it as one of the least hyped AAA MMORPGs ever.

I agree not a single person I know that games IRL heard of this game till I started talking about it to them a month ago

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• BigRock411BigRock411 Member Posts: 299

I wont beat the  dead horse here since the OP seems to not know what hype is.  I can explain why hes seeing TSW ads everywhere he goes:

You keep posting on the TSW forums...your browser knows...

Its not rocket surgery...

Lay off the TSW forums and TSW ads elsewhere will lay off you...

• tarestares Member Posts: 381

Guess I was wrong, I havn't watched TV for a long time so was unaware of commercials.  I took the advertisement on the screen to mean it had commercials.

My browser clears cookies all the time, I only sign in to post then sign out then clear, I hate cookies as they used to have scripts in them. Paranoid.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500

Guess I was wrong, I havn't watched TV for a long time so was unaware of commercials.  I took the advertisement on the screen to mean it had commercials.

My browser clears cookies all the time, I only sign in to post then sign out then clear, I hate cookies as they used to have scripts in them. Paranoid.

Tares also wrote:

"In related news, seems like someone hacked my e mail this morning, been changing passwords left and right ;/ "

Nice try at editing this out, but do you really think you can keep the Illuminati from finding you?  And you think it's just a game eh?

It's not paranoia if someone really is watching you.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

Honestly I don't think you can tell the difference between positive, viral word of mouth (a difficult task for any mmo after launch) and hype (pretty much a prep rally before a mmo's release). Think of it this way. You have three high schools getting ready to play a big game...

• SWTOR
    • TSW
    • GW2
    SWTOR has a HUGE and I mean HUGE expensive ass rally that not only encompasses the high school but the whole damn city itself months before a big game against TSW and ends up losing by 1 point. How dissapointed would you be? Now imagine that they had a corporation backing them financially. Do you think that corporation would consider that investment a positive or negative effect on their image?

TSW is the team that beat SWTOR to advance to the championship, but was NOT a well known team nor did it come from a big city. Just a small town who had a rally at the high school a week before the big game and won! All of a sudden the positive outcome starts to encompass the whole town as people are getting excited about how well the team has done. Are they expecting to beat GW2 (heavily favored by the whole friggin state to win)? I think not. But that still won't stop people from talking about their cinderella story.

Then you have GW2. A team who has a legacy of winning and people from all cities, towns and villages across the whole state supports them. The rally is covered on the freakin local news and you see people walking around with GW2 t-shirts, hats and having their own GW2 parties on a weekly bases..

Now which team do you think is being hyped the most.....

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578

This game has been over-marketed by EA but the game itself was not overhyped by funcom..

GW2 has been under-marketed thusfar by ncsoft yet heavily player word of mouth hyped because we love anet..

+1 for both anet and funcom..

-1 for both ncsoft and EA..

Playing GW2..

• kurtbarlowkurtbarlow Member Posts: 39

Hype = I don't think it means, what you think it means.

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332
    Originally posted by dageeza

This game has been over-marketed by EA but the game itself was not overhyped by funcom..

GW2 has been under-marketed thusfar by ncsoft yet heavily player word of mouth hyped because we love anet..

Are we thinking about the same games?

Which game developer released the mmo manifesto again?

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049

You haven't been paying enough attention to GW2 if you think this is the most hyped game ever. 

• badgerAlumbadgerAlum Member Posts: 27

This is exactly my impression.

To be honest, hype has a lot to do with the individual.  Ever notice how when you buy a new car, EVERYONE seems to have one?  Well, I can tell you that your purchase of said automobile had very little to do with the other people purchasing them.  Rather, you are now noticing those cars more like that damn zit on your forehead that appears to grow to encompass your whole face the more you look at it.  I definitely got into the SWTOR hype and was burned terribly.  I avoided that with TSW, despite having followed the game for the past few years.  I think this has contributed to my enjoyment of the game at this point.  I'm able to causally explore the world, taking my time, and not caring if I have to wait an hour or two to finish a quest because my phase is bugged.  I just don't care, I love every second I'm playing the game.

I'm glad they advertised as much as they did.  I have a lot of gaming friends who still have never heard of the game, despite them being big fans of this genre (mmos, horror, consipiracy, fringe science).  This game will likely have a niche fanbase after the "speed levelers" and "easy mode" gamers fall away, and from what I can tell, the community is perfectly fine with this. Advertising hype or no.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049

-1 for NCSOFT?  NCSOFT owns Anet, if you talk about one you are talking about the other.  

• MundusMundus Member UncommonPosts: 237

Heck I barely even noticed it launching!

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135

I disagree, GW2 had far more hype.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.