Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gender Lock

D/Ld. Logged in. Class Gender Lockimage. Uninstalled.

Comments

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Cool story broholla.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• edosmvedosmv Member Posts: 1

GENDER LOCK FTW!!! UNINSTALL

• RageMonsterRageMonster Member UncommonPosts: 120

The game is in open beta and not all the features are fully implemented.  If you want a sandbox then go to another game.  The focus here is action adventure and not MMO.  It is closer to guild wars than it is to WOW.   I am not a fan of gender lock either but have been playing and it is not a deal breaker when you consider the other features it offers.

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

Originally posted by Sseabeast
    The game is in open beta and not all the features are fully implemented.
    Pretty sure it's not going to suddenly add gender choice in between open beta and launch, though.

I am not a fan of gender lock either but have been playing and it is not a deal breaker when you consider the other features it offers.
    On this I agree with you. But some people get awfully hung up on gender - mostly adolescent male gamers who aren't confident enough in their masculinity to feel comfortable playing a female character in a game.
  • dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468

Is it just me or is gender locking a big immersion breaker? I imagine it cuts down on development time but isn't it also sexist? Gender locking seems to result in a tank class being an overly muscly male and a magic wielder being a doll in skimpy clothing. Does less armour also cut down on development costs? I'd be interested to hear what others think ^^

I don't see it as any more of an immersion breaker than any other constraint on character creation. e.g. Race-locked classes, or indeed even the very concept of classes. Anything that prevents you from making the precise character you envision is going to break someone's immersion, whether that's a female warrior in C9 or an undead shaman in WoW or a plate-wearing spellcaster in most class-based games.

I'm sure it does cut down on development costs. But I think mainly it's a design style which dates back to non-RPG games. I'm thinking a lineage going back through Diablo, Golden Axe, hell even Gauntlet. Games where you select a character to play, you don't create one. Action-RPGs are bringing a blend of arcade action and CRPG, so it's not surprising to see some tropes of arcade action games there.

• BigRock411BigRock411 Member Posts: 299
    Originally posted by Banquetto

The game is in open beta and not all the features are fully implemented.

Pretty sure it's not going to suddenly add gender choice in between open beta and launch, though.

I am not a fan of gender lock either but have been playing and it is not a deal breaker when you consider the other features it offers.

On this I agree with you. But some people get awfully hung up on gender - mostly adolescent male gamers who aren't confident enough in their masculinity to feel comfortable playing a female character in a game.

Hi, adult comfortable with his sexuality who sees gender locking as nothing more than lazy programming.

Also its a huge immersion breaker.

Did i mention its lazy on the developers side since now they get to skip making two sets (male/female) of gear and character modles?

Its the callsign of either a game that was too cheap to spend the extra time making the extra sex or a game that was rushed.  I think a bit of both here.

Looks interesting but i will not support a game that gender locks classes...its the only way they will stop doing it.

• lalapoolalapoo Member Posts: 16
    Originally posted by JILogan11

D/Ld. Logged in. Class Gender Lockimage. Uninstalled.

Give them money or shut up.  F2P FTW.

• DoomBDragonDoomBDragon Member Posts: 13
    Yeah to me this game is dead because of stupid sexism rules. This is an mmo we should not be gender locked. Go die in a pit C9.
  • birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    And it looks like the English version is missing the boob size slider.

Originally posted by DoomBDragon
    This is an mmo we should not be gender locked. Go die in a pit C9.

It's not an MMO. It's a small-group instance RPG with a lobby town (like Guild Wars 1).

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

All MMOs should have RL gender lock. Playing a character of the opposite gender should be a bannable offense.

Would end up looking much more realistic, with chicks few and far between.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by Banquetto

I hope you can realize the irony in your post.

The most common reason for playing a female character is "because I don't want to look at a man's ass all the time".

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Originally posted by tom_gore

You do realize that in a 'realistic' environment, the ratio between male to female is about 1:1, right?

Originally posted by Banquetto On this I agree with you. But some people get awfully hung up on gender - mostly adolescent male gamers who aren't confident enough in their masculinity to feel comfortable playing a female character in a game.  

I hope you can realize the irony in your post.

The most common reason for playing a female character is "because I don't want to look at a man's ass all the time".

Legendary necro! But you're right, it's ironic that adolescent lack of confidence in one's masculinity is both a good reason to play a female character and a good reason not to.

The internal conflict this engenders (sorry for the fun) no doubt contributes to the fact that any discussion of avatars of the opposite sex produces more heat than light.

• ShadowVlicanShadowVlican Member UncommonPosts: 158
    gender locked indeed... but the action combat is nice and fluid.. much like dragon nest
  • MatunusMatunus Member Posts: 1

All MMOs should have RL gender lock. Playing a character of the opposite gender should be a bannable offense.

Depends on who you play with. In many games the majority of the role playing communtiy ist female. We had real life meeting with the German speaking roleplaying community, therefore I know.

Also many played main charakters of the opposite sex, usually easily recongizable by the design of the charakter.

I also would like to know who came up with urban legend of male players playing female charakters because the wanted farvors from other players ... and hit him in the face. Male players playing female charakers... well because they are sexy to their own liking, are common, but no male player plays a female charakter, because he wants help from another male player or because he wants other male players to believe he is female.

Indeed most male players who exclusively play female charakters are homophobes on an extreme level. Some even find the sight of male charaker's back annoying, so they don't want to play third person games with male protagonists.

I'm male and I have both male and female charakters, the better the graphics and the charakter creation options of the game the more likely the main charakter ist going to be female.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

lemme guess, you wanted a male witchblade....

stupid users.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• axellawlietaxellawliet Member Posts: 1
    This game looked so gorgeous and I was hyped to play it but... as an RL female who tanks, I had to say man, naw. Ain't puttin up with no butt-ugly beefcake mofo as an avatar. Ollie outtie.