Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Adventure packs

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

I am a huge fan of solo dungeons when story is involved, in TSW many quests end up in an instance which are actually pretty challenging. It gives people a change of mind compared to the open world stuff... In GW2 i still think the personal story is fun, altough from time to time its a bit childish/no depth, but still i enjoy fleshing out my character further in these stories.

Just hoping that there will be more stuff like this in GW2, where the story takes me along these personal instances..

Personally i am a very strong beleiver that there will be payed action/adventure packs in the shop after some time, that add extra personal story/adventures outside of your main story. There where these adventure packs in the GW1 store, and they sold pretty well to my knowledge. 

Would you buy this extra content for the right price (assuming $10-$15)  and please explain why you would never buy stuff like this, if that is your answer.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Personally i am a very strong beleiver that there will be payed action/adventure packs in the shop after some time, that add extra personal story/adventures outside of your main story. There where these adventure packs in the GW1 store, and they sold pretty well to my knowledge.

They only added a "single" adventure pack for GW1 on the CS and it was entirely optional, you weren't even playing your own character, you were re-living older events!

If they add something similar to the GW2 store it better be like in GW1. Maybe a "story" about the emergence of each dragon? How each race was fighting to survive when the dragons first appeared. But no, paid CS content which progresses my story I wouldn't want to see it in the CS.

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by seridan
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

They only added a "single" adventure pack for GW1 on the CS and it was entirely optional, you weren't even playing your own character, you were re-living older events!

If they add something similar to the GW2 store it better be like in GW1. Maybe a "story" about the emergence of each dragon? How each race was fighting to survive when the dragons first appeared. But no, paid CS content which progresses my story I wouldn't want to see it in the CS.

offcourse they will be entirely optional, which is a must with the current system and how gear works. 

Actually they put that pack in GW1, to see if something like that would work (espescially since they where allready working on GW2) and it worked above expectations, thats why i am pretty sure we will see this stuff in GW2 too.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

Never been a fan of buying content, I think its cheezy.

Its a real bummer when your in a group, and you just finished some content, and somebody says, "hey lets go do this dungeon", but you didnt buy that content.

Group disbans....

• QuenchsterQuenchster Member Posts: 450

It would depend if the packs were worth their weight in content. If I bought 60 dollars worth, I would probably want an expansion pack amount of content or maybe some fun vanity items obtained through the adventures. If they aren't then I would probably not buy them unless they had some type of bundle deal or I could buy them with gold through the gem system.

Originally posted by Adalwulff

Never been a fan of buying content, I think its cheezy.

Its a real bummer when your in a group, and you just finished some content, and somebody says, "hey lets go do this dungeon", but you didnt buy that content.

Group disbans....

You better read up on the game mate, we where specifically talking here about singple person adventure packs, / pesonal story based, so your comments make no sense.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

Small DLC tends to be crappy and expensive. I'd rather pay for a real expansion, like the ones GW1 had.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Originally posted by dekou

Small DLC tends to be crappy and expensive. I'd rather pay for a real expansion, like the ones GW1 had.

This. 90% od dlc's are simply not worth the money. I could buy a dlc for 10$ if the dungeon was simply very good and had some nice skinns etc. But based on all dlc's I've seen I doubt I would bother.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

In gw1 I bought pack like that . It was 8€ I think. It was a few interesting missions, I didn't regret it. Even though It was short (4 missions with additional challenges) It rewarded some very cool weapons.

As for GW2 personal story being without depth/childish, how can you say that when you only saw 1% of it. Majority of the story takes after lv 80.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

And there's plenty of room left on Tyria for content...

(click for big version)

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

Originally posted by QSatu

Originally posted by dekou

This. 90% od dlc's are simply not worth the money. I could buy a dlc for 10$ if the dungeon was simply very good and had some nice skinns etc. But based on all dlc's I've seen I doubt I would bother.

So since everyone makes lousy DLC, Arenanet will to?

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

It's likely, for a couple of reasons:

1) DLC is too cheap to introduce new, interesting mechanics that affect gameplay noticeably.

For ten bucks, you'll get a couple of missions, some gear and that's it. New mechanics take too much time and effort to develop and require a higher price tag. In addition to that, companies can't assume everyone has all DLC packs, so they have to put even more effort into making them inconsequential.

2) They can get away with it.

For some bizarre reason, people have lower standards when it comes to cheap DLC. They think paying 10$ for three hours' worth of content is ok, but paying 50$ for 15 hours of content would be too much. 10$ really isn't a lot of money, but if I'm to buy five 10$ DLCs, I want a games' worth of content, not just a couple of short missions.

I'm not saying good adventure packs don't exist. However, they are quite rare and seem to be harder to create than proper expansions.

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940

I would prefer if ArenaNet focuses on creating live content patches and/or expansions over small DLCs.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Nope, not for me.

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743

I tend to go through most MMOs content within a week after they get released and having the option to buy adventure packs as DLCs is something I am really interested in.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

Originally posted by Anireth

I would prefer if ArenaNet focuses on creating live content patches and/or expansions over small DLCs.

Hard to say if they are going to add any additional content to the game like p2p MMOs does, since GW2's revenue is mostly from the item store and expansions. So, small DLCs for an additional fee seems like the logical thing to do.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

I'd rather just buy all the content in a full on expansion once a year.

• Grotar89Grotar89 Member UncommonPosts: 347

There was interview where Eric Flannum said personal story will most likely progress in expansions since it requires al ot of time to create.

• arjiarji Member UncommonPosts: 93

Add DLC and i instant quit. I buy the box and the expansions for a reason, not to make me pay extra. If they want they  can make it F2P.

• ItarugaItaruga Member Posts: 38

Share your ideas with Arena dude :)

Originally posted by arji

Add DLC and i instant quit. I buy the box and the expansions for a reason, not to make me pay extra. If they want they  can make it F2P.

"Mike O'Brien has stated that expansions and/or mini-expansions are more likely", the mini expansions can be counted as additional DLCs.

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880

Depends on how it is presented and mainly on the quality.

If the game can provide a long lasting experience without a monthly sub fee, I'm much more inclined to make these one time purchases if I feel it gives value.

• arjiarji Member UncommonPosts: 93

I consider expansions as content that adds a lot more from some campains and thats why i am willing to pay the full price for them. DLC's locks ppl outside.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

It's a buy to play game, so yeah, I'll buy extras and use the cash/gem shop. If it's just story related stuff though, no, I don't care about the story, I just want the WvsWvsW.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• JeleenaJeleena Member UncommonPosts: 172

I did not like the GW1 extra missions because I could not play my own character, so I didn't buy it in GW1.

But if I could play my own character in some extra solo stuff I would probably buy it. It has to be an entirely optional addon though, so no 'weapons of awesomeness' and such stuff that would make people feel kinda  'forced' to buy it...

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by Searias
    Originally posted by arji

"Mike O'Brien has stated that expansions and/or mini-expansions are more likely", the mini expansions can be counted as additional DLCs.

You might as well actually link to the quote. Is that his exact quote in the quotes?