Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Very close to buying this.

2»

Comments

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Exavus

Why are templars in demand? are they good in groups? 

faction doesn't really matter much in the game you can group with any faction you just can't pvp with them. Also cabals are faction locked but besides that pick the one you find the most interesting

I think more people prefer the Templar deck outfits :) Each faction has 11 differant decks, and if  you pursue these decks you unlock an outfit to match your role. It is a nice incentive to help people, without as much time to experiement with the skill tree, to still be effective in the game.

Some people may actually choose their faction based on the 2 combat concentrations that provide an outfit for that particular faction.

• tarestares Member Posts: 381
    Originally posted by chaod1984
    Originally posted by JosephJR
    Originally posted by tares

Pretty close to SWTOR, your toon doesn't talk in cuscenes and you have no options in dialog. Are investigation missions with puzzles. You are alone most of the time, are some instances and PvP zones for grouping.

Think that is my issue with all games now days, no immersion. The MMOs I was able to play for years,  just had so much going on I could get lost in them.

I read an article that made me laugh about a TSW review, the guy was on an RP server and role playing a guy who thought he was stuck in an MMO, every time he found a bug he would role play.  Immersive in that way.  I didn't find it to immersive, more like a grind, bugs, and every once in a while something cool.

Here is the link, is funny writing http://kotaku.com/mmo/

sry... but what about you talking?

I'd honestly say that solo, you are gonna find the game a little tough...Imma solo'er I know.  But with a group, you get added incentive and the game is a bit more easy.  The mobs are tough, but I like the challenge.  Im tank specced and now in Blue Mountain not having too much difficulty.  But with a grouping adds more incentive...you can go either way...that's the beauty of the game.  The Instanced dungeons are some of the best Ive been in...they are like raids for other MMO's

? I talk in vent to players in clans/guilds in other games, though was solo so much of the time.  The times I got invited or invited others to a quest it turned out that we were on different quests. Most quests about 98% are balanced around being sungle player.

I ran through with a tank spec, my best gear was tank and the instances were a faceroll.  When I was solo questing I would rock DPS gear and if you have one of the few overpowered builds that have zero to do with theorycrafting and everything to do with how strong some skills and passives are compared to others. The game is very easy. There are balance issues, some skills with zero synergy will blow away synergy builds but there is no reason to do the single player portion in a tank build without DPS gear, is silly as it would take you over a minute to kill things, healers complain about it too.  DPS classes can tank the single player content.

None of the first 7 instances had anything close to an everquest or warcraft or even swtor raid.  Tanking in SWTOR was a joke but agro mechanics are the same here ;/  everquest and aion had the hardest agro AND staying alive mechanics. Wow was pretty decent and has top tier boss scripting, though very easy today.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Eluldor
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

Why are templars in demand? are they good in groups? 

faction doesn't really matter much in the game you can group with any faction you just can't pvp with them. Also cabals are faction locked but besides that pick the one you find the most interesting

I think more people prefer the Templar deck outfits :) Each faction has 11 differant decks, and if  you pursue these decks you unlock an outfit to match your role. It is a nice incentive to help people, without as much time to experiement with the skill tree, to still be effective in the game.

Some people may actually choose their faction based on the 2 combat concentrations that provide an outfit for that particular faction.

true I did end up picking templar because I liked their decks the best:P

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,416

I bought my copy from greenmangaming, they have a event thing going on till the 9th where you can get 25% off of anything they sell, got tsw for 37.50 earlier today. All you need is the cd-key then you can dl the client from funcom directly. Here's the url

www.greenmangaming.com

I had no plans to buy tsw till I seen the 25% off on that site, decided "what the hell? it can't be worse than diablo 3 was" and took the plunge.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• ExavusExavus Member Posts: 200
    Originally posted by Siveria

I bought my copy from greenmangaming, they have a event thing going on till the 9th where you can get 25% off of anything they sell, got tsw for 37.50 earlier today. All you need is the cd-key then you can dl the client from funcom directly. Here's the url

www.greenmangaming.com

I had no plans to buy tsw till I seen the 25% off on that site, decided "what the hell? it can't be worse than diablo 3 was" and took the plunge.

Yeah I saw the topic but thanks again for reposting it here because it is a great deal. This is whats geting me close to purchasing. I usually bite the bullet with any new online rpg/mmo that looks half decent. I'll probably buy this today. I don't mind playing single player sometimes, but i'd love to get into a clan/guild to do some voice chatting or just discussion to make the ride more enjoyable.

Current MMO: WoW/GW2

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Siveria

www.greenmangaming.com

Yeah I saw the topic but thanks again for reposting it here because it is a great deal. This is whats geting me close to purchasing. I usually bite the bullet with any new online rpg/mmo that looks half decent. I'll probably buy this today. I don't mind playing single player sometimes, but i'd love to get into a clan/guild to do some voice chatting or just discussion to make the ride more enjoyable.

we have vent setup.. i don't use it much right now as I have no working mic but several members use it think we are upto about 30 people now:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• rocko522rocko522 Member Posts: 1

ive been watching out for this game for over a year now, but decided against it. Im tired of buying these mmo's that get me so excited with screen shots and just dont keep my attention when i finally start to play them.  Rift, Aion, SWTOR even some free to play, ive tried them and wasted my time and money with trying to get that feeling that i once had with WOW. After looking at the combat system and game play of TSW i think im going to pass.  I do appreciate that they tried something new but all the videos ive seen and from what im hearing its very lacking.  Good luck thaugh, maybe it will be enough to keep your attention till you get your moneys worthe. for me im waiting on GW2. 

and as for the guy complaining about tab targeting, thats one of the stupidest complainst ive ever heard of.

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by rocko522

ive been watching out for this game for over a year now, but decided against it. Im tired of buying these mmo's that get me so excited with screen shots and just dont keep my attention when i finally start to play them.  Rift, Aion, SWTOR even some free to play, ive tried them and wasted my time and money with trying to get that feeling that i once had with WOW. After looking at the combat system and game play of TSW i think im going to pass.  I do appreciate that they tried something new but all the videos ive seen and from what im hearing its very lacking.  Good luck thaugh, maybe it will be enough to keep your attention till you get your moneys worthe. for me im waiting on GW2. 

and as for the guy complaining about tab targeting, thats one of the stupidest complainst ive ever heard of.

For a first post I mostly agree with you but tsw is a good game though I personally like gw2 a lot more. Din't sleep on tsw it has a lot to offer at least on the play through once bassis.

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

i'm in the same way as the op. i did manage to try it out in beta and was blown away by the atmosphere and immersion (say what you want about funcom, but they do do those two things very well). my problem is that i will drop it like a hot brick when gw2 launches, and i don't know whether i'll be able to put enough time into tsw to make it worth the $$$.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Well I've gotten to play a bit and I have to say I'm having far more fun than I have with any other mmorpg in recent memory.

I feel like there's a lot for me to learn and figure out still, but I'm pretty happy with the game right so far :)

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Templar bible thumpers and Illuminati Corporatists are scum...join the Dragons...we fight for no-one but ourselves!

Well, you fight for a little green frog and i would not wonder if its name is Kermit.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• jamigrejamigre Member UncommonPosts: 280

Here's my 2 cents on the matter. I've been jaded with MMO"s since about 2004, started in UO, loved it, and then couldnt get deeply into anythign else, AO, WOW, whatever. 

IMO this game isnt going to knock your socks off, its not mindboggingly genre changing, its got its standard MMO elements, but unlike most of the other stuff out there, this game is amazing enough, fun! 

Quests make you think, skills / crafting are deeper than people let on, as is gear. I'm currently in the 2nd zone and popped into the 3rd one for a sec, Ive thuis far dropped about 30 hours on the game, and I know a lot of people have more. IMO 30 hours, I'm satisfied with a game, if I get 50, it's a super win, a 100, well, forget it, best game ever. You get my point. 

The thing about TSW, is it's engaging, and not just the main story, the side story arcs as well that play a major role in the main story as well. I try to do every quest I can, not because of XP, but because its actually interesting, and it's very much refreshing when I don't want to get out of dialogue to do the quest, but want to listen to it, and any clues it may offer. 

What else? The Atmosphere is great, if you get your kicks off form creepy things, zombies, a little horror - this is it man, its brilliantly put together, and I've had a few "oh man, this is kinda scary" moments. 

If you ask me, if youre not hard up for 50 bucks, get  the game, you'll get that much out of it. Its familiar enough that you get it, but unique enough as well that you want to keep on playing. 

Does that make sense? 

Cheers, 

-------
    Check out my side project http://lfger.com/  - a mobile lfg tool for any game, any time. 
    -------

• Zookz1Zookz1 Member Posts: 629

You're alone most of the time? That's a player choice. The game doesn't force or even encourage you to play solo. If you go to Blue Mountain right after finishing Savage Coast, you are going to get completely mauled by some of the quests as a solo player.

OP: I'm having a lot of fun. I feel like a complete noob in this game; I didn't log on and know exactly what to do like I do in other games. I didn't look at the skill tree and after five minutes of thought know what the best choices would be. I did a single quest that actually took me over an hour to figure out. I've even had to break out the pen and paper to write notes along the way. There's a very disctinct chance of me making bad decisions and gimping my character. It's all very refreshing for an old MMO bittervet like myself.

Funcom has really created something special IMO.

Originally posted by DeaconX

Well I've gotten to play a bit and I have to say I'm having far more fun than I have with any other mmorpg in recent memory.

I feel like there's a lot for me to learn and figure out still, but I'm pretty happy with the game right so far :)

Well it's only the beginning but that's a nice first impression thanks :D

Originally posted by jamigre

Here's my 2 cents on the matter. I've been jaded with MMO"s since about 2004, started in UO, loved it, and then couldnt get deeply into anythign else, AO, WOW, whatever. 

IMO this game isnt going to knock your socks off, its not mindboggingly genre changing, its got its standard MMO elements, but unlike most of the other stuff out there, this game is amazing enough, fun! 

Quests make you think, skills / crafting are deeper than people let on, as is gear. I'm currently in the 2nd zone and popped into the 3rd one for a sec, Ive thuis far dropped about 30 hours on the game, and I know a lot of people have more. IMO 30 hours, I'm satisfied with a game, if I get 50, it's a super win, a 100, well, forget it, best game ever. You get my point. 

The thing about TSW, is it's engaging, and not just the main story, the side story arcs as well that play a major role in the main story as well. I try to do every quest I can, not because of XP, but because its actually interesting, and it's very much refreshing when I don't want to get out of dialogue to do the quest, but want to listen to it, and any clues it may offer. 

What else? The Atmosphere is great, if you get your kicks off form creepy things, zombies, a little horror - this is it man, its brilliantly put together, and I've had a few "oh man, this is kinda scary" moments. 

If you ask me, if youre not hard up for 50 bucks, get  the game, you'll get that much out of it. Its familiar enough that you get it, but unique enough as well that you want to keep on playing. 

Does that make sense? 

Cheers, 

Way to sell the game hehe. I think my friend has a buddy key that hes going to send me (waiting for him to get out of a game) and I'll give it a try , if he doesn't i'll probably buy it. I have a lot of games to play but I want to take advantage of that 25% off sale.

What can you compare the crafting to? and how is the gear handled? is it standard quest upgrade?

• hcoelhohcoelho Member UncommonPosts: 529

I played one of the betas and the combat was terrible, animations in general was also terrible. 

is it any better now ?

• BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398
    Originally posted by Elandir90

I played one of the betas and the combat was terrible, animations in general was also terrible. 

is it any better now ?

Yes, but imo they were never terrible, so maybe you shouldn't play this game.

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

What can you compare the crafting to? and how is the gear handled? is it standard quest upgrade?

The gear isn't great unless you can get Blue crafting boxes. I've had one drop the whole time I've played. Still I have made a few pieces to keep my gear current.

All in all. It's probably easier to farm dungeons for gear.

• FaynthFaynth Member Posts: 237
    Originally posted by Thorqemada

Templar bible thumpers and Illuminati Corporatists are scum...join the Dragons...we fight for no-one but ourselves!

Well, you fight for a little green frog and i would not wonder if its name is Kermit.

uho, germanized english ? :D

• revelationmdrevelationmd Member Posts: 33
    Originally posted by DeaconX

I just caved.  I've followed the game for SO long, love the premise, the art design, the quest design etc. and really applaud Funcom for not making some flash in the pan clone mmo... the only reason I wasn't going to get this game was because of EA... and prehaps because I didn't enjoy the combat during beta.  But, I've decided I simply want to support Funcom and give this game another chance after my beta experiences.So... here goes something.  Wish me luck... I'm going in.

Hey Deaconx - good luck, hope you enjoy it (actually, I'm probably a bit late for the good lucks). I gave it a whirl while waiting for a certain other title and although I'm enjoying it, I can't see me launching TSW once that other game launches - which brings me to my next question...

Your sig, will your guild be Us or Eu based when it launches? Sounds like the ideal guild for me.
  • ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Originally posted by Jesterftk
    Originally posted by Thorqemada   Originally posted by chaod1984 Templar bible thumpers and Illuminati Corporatists are scum...join the Dragons...we fight for no-one but ourselves!
    uho, germanized english ? :D

Or anglonized german?

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• SybnalSybnal Member Posts: 261

To the OP, if you are a fan of immersive games like I am, TSW is one of the best that's come along in awhile.  The atmosphere, graphics and music will suck you right in.  The quest system is also very cool, it allows you to really get into the story lines, unlike Swtor, which was like sitting down with 10 episodes of a t.v. show and watching them out of order, a couple of minutes at a time.  There are no conversation trees, and your character never says shit, but you won't miss it.

As for the combat, it's pretty decent, it doesn't rival Tera, but it's the EXACT SAME FUCKING THING, as GW2, don't let anyone tell you different. I've played both. They both have moving combat, tab targeting, limited active abilities and an active dodge on a timer.  It gets a little dry in Savage Coast, but by Blue Mountain you will have to branch out into situational decks and into other weapons, otherwise you will just die over and over.

Definitetly, worth the 50 bucks for a playthrough.  Time will tell if it's worth a sub.

• CantorageCantorage Member Posts: 186

is it any better now ?

The shooter games, fighter games, and mismanaged MMO's that focus on what you want as a feature and as a result has zero content is over there ---> I hear Tera has a trial, go wallow in it's boundless mediocrity if you need shiny animations with very little substance. And GW2 should be out in about one and a half month with it's cleverly disguised repeatable hamster wheels and colorful furries. Has splendid animations. Why not wait for that instead of repeating that same old tired line on a game's forum you obviously have decided to hate and nothing is going to change your mind.

• hcoelhohcoelho Member UncommonPosts: 529
    Originally posted by Cantorage

is it any better now ?

The shooter games, fighter games, and mismanaged MMO's that focus on what you want as a feature and as a result has zero content is over there ---> I hear Tera has a trial, go wallow in it's boundless mediocrity if you need shiny animations with very little substance. And GW2 should be out in about one and a half month with it's cleverly disguised repeatable hamster wheels and colorful furries. Has splendid animations. Why not wait for that instead of repeating that same old tired line on a game's forum you obviously have decided to hate and nothing is going to change your mind.

Wow you took that much from 1 single sentence ??!!  You're good !!! you should be making money with it, figuring out behavior patterns, maping ones personality and preferences with so little information is indeed amazing !!!

It's a shame you got all wrong. I'm interested in the game but in betas i found the animations and combat lacking some weight, i could shoot my rifle in a 90 degree angle, thats no good and breaks the experience for me. 

But hey if you are so defensive, maybe those issues remain on the game. Be nice bro, your game can still be awsome, just because i don't enjoy 1 part of it does not mean the whole experience is ruined forever for everybody. 

Gota love those Knights of the *insert a game's name here*.