Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Graphics Settings.. BOOST your FPS

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Cantorage
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Cantorage

If you think the crappy stencil shadows on GFX setting 1 looks better than the geometric/ dynamic soft shadows on 3 and 4, you are mad, or have an eye problem!

advanced GFX doesn't effect shadows... lighting does though.. to me the soft shadows blur way to much

I wasn't talking about advanced gfx settings. But Advanced gfx controls SSAO and godrays, which are in fact lighting parameters.

SSAO on my system drops FPS like 20-30 fps not worth it at all.. not sure why the dynamic shadows blur as much as they do though... I noticed with the Advanced GFX set to 3 or 4 you get an overall lightening effect which I don't care for and actually perfer the look on 2.. jury still out on how I feel about the shadows.. most games I just play with on shadows off but this game it really adds a lot to the overall feel of the zones.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

awesome thread and really liking the civil conversation in here!  yay.  I'll have to try out these tips when I get home.

My FPS is good now, but more FPS is always great:)

• sfc1971sfc1971 Member UncommonPosts: 421

Sound, I have tried setting the maximum sounds at once to max and noticed a sharp decrease in micro freezes. Also, since then I have heard the sherrif making comments during the defense mission I never heard before. Might have been a patch that did that, except no patch happened.

Worth considering trying upping the sounds. 

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238
    Originally posted by Syllendale

I often wonderd and never know if I should use Anit-Alias or not, anyone care to give a thumbs up or down? 

Using a ATi Radeon 6800 HD series (1gig DDR5) .. just one. 

I'm using an HD6870, and notice no difference in performance or quality when I enable FXAA. It's simply not enabled for use on ATI cards in this game, more's the pity I suppose.

Sucks, because it looks great in Skyrim.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

Thanks. Works like a charm for me too. Usually I tweak things like mad but was lazy. Had solid frames but now is even more solid and actually cleaned some things ups. I still run most other things maxed but I still saw a 15+ fps increase. Hell is even sometimes leaps another 40+.

You stay sassy!

Originally posted by Rednecksith
    Originally posted by Syllendale

I often wonderd and never know if I should use Anit-Alias or not, anyone care to give a thumbs up or down? 

Using a ATi Radeon 6800 HD series (1gig DDR5) .. just one. 

I'm using an HD6870, and notice no difference in performance or quality when I enable FXAA. It's simply not enabled for use on ATI cards in this game, more's the pity I suppose.

Sucks, because it looks great in Skyrim.

sad ATI has zero AA support on this game yet... although FXAA is not very good in this game at all.. it TERA it cleans up the entire game but in this one even at HQ setting with Advanced GFX at 4 its hardly noticable

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• ChingoChingo Member UncommonPosts: 128

UPDATE

Tried the 296 series drivers and same thing happens.. i get a ton better performance with lighting at 1 or 2 and Advanced GFX at 1 or 2. For whatever reason it still looks better to me with those two settings set lower than they do at 4

Nice tip, thanks! Although I'm not able to use it I did a quick experiment. I have had all gfx settings maxed out with around 40-50 fps. I dir the following experiment as you suggested (DX11):-

- dropped Lightning from 4 to 2

- dropped advanced gfx from 4 to 2

- disabled motion blur (not a big fan of that myself)

I got around +25 boost to the fps (leaving me around 70fps).  I'm using DX11 in FS windowed and have a GTX 480, 12GB of memory, i5 CPU (not overclocked).

I noticed that dropping the advanced gfx ruined the AA (really ugly jagged edges) which means I don't want to drop it from 4.0. And I don't get the fps boost when I leave it maxed out. Anyway, worth playing around with the settings it seems and best to keep in mind that the results are very dependent on the HW you have.

Originally posted by Chingo

UPDATE

Tried the 296 series drivers and same thing happens.. i get a ton better performance with lighting at 1 or 2 and Advanced GFX at 1 or 2. For whatever reason it still looks better to me with those two settings set lower than they do at 4

Nice tip, thanks! Although I'm not able to use it I did a quick experiment. I have had all gfx settings maxed out with around 40-50 fps. I dir the following experiment as you suggested (DX11):-

- dropped Lightning from 4 to 2

- dropped advanced gfx from 4 to 2

- disabled motion blur (not a big fan of that myself)

I got around +25 boost to the fps (leaving me around 70fps).  I'm using DX11 in FS windowed and have a GTX 480, 12GB of memory, i5 CPU (not overclocked).

I noticed that dropping the advanced gfx ruined the AA (really ugly jagged edges) which means I don't want to drop it from 4.0. And I don't get the fps boost when I leave it maxed out. Anyway, worth playing around with the settings it seems and best to keep in mind that the results are very dependent on the HW you have.

yead advanced GFX effects FXAA so lowering it will reduce the FXAA effect but honestly to me FXAA doesn't work very well in this game ot begin with so it isn't a very big difference to me. You can also try SMAA injector which to me looks about the same as FXAA and then you can turn Advanced GFX down and it shouldn't effect it.

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788

I run an old ati card and my AA works fine. Without it I get a lot of jaggies. Can't login to check at the moment but I'm pretty sure that it worked for me.

Originally posted by DaezAster

I run an old ati card and my AA works fine. Without it I get a lot of jaggies. Can't login to check at the moment but I'm pretty sure that it worked for me.

id check again with it on and off because I dont see any support for anything but FXAA and TXAA for this game.. I know MSAA, CSAA, SGSSAA, SSAA doesn't work and same with any form of TrAA

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788

Well I checked my gfx setting at the login screen and can confirm that fxaa is working with my ati card. I also did notice it clear up jaggies so it is doing something and not just enabled.

Originally posted by DaezAster

Well I checked my gfx setting at the login screen and can confirm that fxaa is working with my ati card. I also did notice it clear up jaggies so it is doing something and not just enabled.

okay wasn't sure if it did or not.. do wish this game supported other forms of AA though. Conan had support for MSAA don't know why they left it out of this one. I also don't care much that they lumped settings together. I personally don't care for god rays but don't want to be forced to turn down FXAA to disable them sort of sucks.

• MishakaiMishakai Member Posts: 105

Nice info, I'll have to check this out, our system specs are darn near identical.  I have to admit though, I haven't been as focused on the eye candy as just getting a feel for the game.  

And since I'm here, I'll go ahead and ask a stupid question that would probably only take 2 min or research... Is there an in game key combo to display fps?

Originally posted by Mishakai

Nice info, I'll have to check this out, our system specs are darn near identical.  I have to admit though, I haven't been as focused on the eye candy as just getting a feel for the game.  

And since I'm here, I'll go ahead and ask a stupid question that would probably only take 2 min or research... Is there an in game key combo to display fps?

yeah ctrl-alt-f

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I updated my driver from NVidia 270 version to 301, and I had a HUGE fps drop. I am going back to the old driver now.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Originally posted by Elikal

I updated my driver from NVidia 270 version to 301, and I had a HUGE fps drop. I am going back to the old driver now.

yea im having some issues with the 300 series drivers as well it randomly tries to go into its low power mode even though I have power setting for maximum performance. When it goes to low power it drops the card clocks in half. Went back to the 296 drivers for now.

• zoddenzodden Member UncommonPosts: 80

I am running the latest beta 304.79

GTX 580 OCd to 975mhz

i2500k@4800mhz

At 1920x1080 running DX11

Overall Quality: Ultra

FXAA: FXAA HQ

Motion Blur: none

Tesselation: Ground and Water

SSAO: Low quality

All sliders at 4

Vysnc forced in control panel.

I fooled around with various settings for a few hours. The above was the best I could do while maintaining 50+ FPS and preserving image quality.

Originally posted by zodden

GTX 580 OCd to 975mhz

i2500k@4800mhz

All sliders at 4

I fooled around with various settings for a few hours. The above was the best I could do while maintaining 50+ FPS and preserving image quality.

found ssao is a major fps hog and just not worth it.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Last I checked, SLI does nothing if the game is not specifically coded to use it, kinda the same with multi core cpu's, If the game is not specifically programed to use multiple threads/cores, it just won't do it. Its why I haven't bothered with sli yet, most of the games released do not support it at all, its a waste of money atm, though it is really nice when a game does have support for it though. Also what do you have your gpu's power settings set to? Because if you have it set to adaptive, if the gpu is not taxed enough it keeps it under-clocked. My friend turned his graphics UP in tsw and got a major fps increase, since what he had the game set at wasn't enough to make the gpu stop auto underclocking itself due to lack of gpu power needed. You could make a profile so that it sets it to performance power setting when you launch tsw in the nvidia control panel.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

GTX 580 OCd to 975mhz

i2500k@4800mhz

All sliders at 4

Yep I have found that my FPS went up around 15 FPS when I went from High to Low. I have also enabled Motion Blur and set it to high. My FPS went down only 2-3 total so I will keep that on for now. I am trying to decide if I like it or not. What do you think of the Motion Blur?

GTX 580 OCd to 975mhz

i2500k@4800mhz

All sliders at 4

Yep I have found that my FPS went up around 15 FPS when I went from High to Low. I have also enabled Motion Blur and set it to high. My FPS went down only 2-3 total so I will keep that on for now. I am trying to decide if I like it or not. What do you think of the Motion Blur?

personally I just don't like the effect even if it had no impact on frame I'd still leave it off... personal preference

• ashleymorrowashleymorrow Member Posts: 176

Great post, thank you for sharing. I am bookmarking this and will start making changes tomorrow. I had noticed the shadows thing myself but didn't know how to fix it.

Originally posted by ashleymorrow

Great post, thank you for sharing. I am bookmarking this and will start making changes tomorrow. I had noticed the shadows thing myself but didn't know how to fix it.

i'm always tweaking and looking for other things to smooth out the gameplay Ill update the thread if i find anything new

Originally posted by ashleymorrow

If you are using an Nvidia card I would download 304.79 Beta

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win8-win7-winvista-64bit-304.79-beta-driver.html

I had an overall increase in FPS but more importantly it ended the issues I was having with Vsync. I was getting terrible tearing before and forcing it on did not seem to work. (I did not see an in-game way to turn on Vsync)

It also fixed a problem I was having with GPU temps. The game is not using the GPU as much according to MSI Afterburner OSD so noticable temp reduction 8-9C and getting better overall FPS. So it would seem that they did something in this driver. At least for the 580 GTX.

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Biggest hit on my FPS was tesselation.  I have a Phenom 955 x4 and an HD 5870.  With medium settings (all sliders at 2), low SSAO, low motion blur and ground and world tesselation I was getting 20-40 FPS, mostly around 20-30 and dropping to the teens in London.  With same settings and no tesselation I get around 40-50 fps all the time.  Tesselation looks great, but never seems to work for my card, probably too low end.