Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 is great ......but.....

124»

Comments

• SleepyfishSleepyfish Member Posts: 363
    Originally posted by korat102

Took me till a few hours into the last day before I finally decided on my favourite class. When the game is released I'll be playing an engineer as a main character. It's not perfect by any means but I found it fun to play, for me it proved more interesting than the others. I can't play melee properly to save my life and squishy characters stand no chance on a dynamic event unless there are other players around. The engineer's turrets are surprisingly good at collecting aggro and can be dropped instantly - a great little escape mechanism if it's not on cooldown.

Anyway, it's obviously not for everyone but I really enjoyed the weekend. Keeping fingers crossed for a release in the not too distant future.

This was my first Beta and am still uncertain myself, didnt have time to run through every class in detail. Althogh the Mesmer seems the best option for me so far I like the survivability and control.

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    Originally posted by Zylaxx

I really liked the pace of leveling, the combat is fun and the innovative features it has going for it does the game great justice...........................but:  After this BWE I have a feeling it just wont last for me.

I dunno maybe I am growing to old for MMO's.  Saturday Night I even logged off and played DayZ for 4 hours before going back to theorytest a new build.  Right how the only thing holding me back from full and total enjoyment is theres not a class I truely feel like I was born to play.  Theres no true Hybrid Melee/Magic that screams "play me".

I really dislike how the weapon system is done in the game, its not to say its not good because it sure is but from a purely aesthetic standpoint, it lacks because you are forced to play with weapons that arent as aesthetically pleasing as you would like.  Things like Focus, Torch's and Horns.  The other thing is of the classes that I want to play like the Thief, Warrior and Ranger I am forced to use things I dislike greatly such as ground targetted AOE's or have pets.  Soemtimes I jsut want to play a Warrior with a greatsword but  Idont need things like a clunky charge where I have to point in the direction I want to go or play a theif where my 5 key is pointless or my on my Ranger having no snare on long bow.  I truely enjoy MMO's more that offer you more freedom of choice in the skills I use.  Now the utility, heal and elite skill are great cause I have choices but I truely believe being pigenholed into weapons skills I dislike greatly detracts from my enjoyment.

I tried other classes besides those 3, but even though a DW Dagger Elementalist and a Axe/Dagger Necro or a Greatsword Mesmer all use those melee weapons they are still at its core caster classes and it feels more like I am wielding caster weapons then melee weapons.  All in all ive spent 2 BWE's playing every class except for an engineer and I greatly dislike elements of all of them.  I want a good old fashion Melee/caster hybrid with big hulking 2H weapons with spells that augment my damage with debuffs/debuffs and none of the GW2 classes plays remotely similar to my WoW DK, DAoC Champion or Thane.  image

well all these negatives are postives for my and are some of the little things that attracts me to the game except the big things xD

just another opinion for the otherside .

• Sive0nSive0n Member UncommonPosts: 28

Originally posted by Zylaxx I really liked the pace of leveling, the combat is fun and the innovative features it has going for it does the game great justice...........................but:  After this BWE I have a feeling it just wont last for me.   I dunno maybe I am growing to old for MMO's.  Saturday Night I even logged off and played DayZ for 4 hours before going back to theorytest a new build.  Right how the only thing holding me back from full and total enjoyment is theres not a class I truely feel like I was born to play.  Theres no true Hybrid Melee/Magic that screams "play me".   I really dislike how the weapon system is done in the game, its not to say its not good because it sure is but from a purely aesthetic standpoint, it lacks because you are forced to play with weapons that arent as aesthetically pleasing as you would like.  Things like Focus, Torch's and Horns.  The other thing is of the classes that I want to play like the Thief, Warrior and Ranger I am forced to use things I dislike greatly such as ground targetted AOE's or have pets.  Soemtimes I jsut want to play a Warrior with a greatsword but  Idont need things like a clunky charge where I have to point in the direction I want to go or play a theif where my 5 key is pointless or my on my Ranger having no snare on long bow.  I truely enjoy MMO's more that offer you more freedom of choice in the skills I use.  Now the utility, heal and elite skill are great cause I have choices but I truely believe being pigenholed into weapons skills I dislike greatly detracts from my enjoyment.   I tried other classes besides those 3, but even though a DW Dagger Elementalist and a Axe/Dagger Necro or a Greatsword Mesmer all use those melee weapons they are still at its core caster classes and it feels more like I am wielding caster weapons then melee weapons.  All in all ive spent 2 BWE's playing every class except for an engineer and I greatly dislike elements of all of them.  I want a good old fashion Melee/caster hybrid with big hulking 2H weapons with spells that augment my damage with debuffs/debuffs and none of the GW2 classes plays remotely similar to my WoW DK, DAoC Champion or Thane. 

The fact that you dont play with the skills you like because you don't agree with the aesthetics of the weapon makes no sense to me, sometimes i dont like the model of my bow but I only look at my toon in one of the Zen moments, plus you can swap the armor and weapon models without sacrificing stats.

I believe that your opinion about weapons lacking skills is unfounded, all weapons have exactly what they need but in various flavors, for example you complained about the Rangers Longbow needing a snare, as a Ranger my self i can tell you that you do not for several reasons:

• first of all it has a skill that pushes your target back based on how close he is, at point blank the knock-back is huge.
    • you have an array of snares and other skills that add distance to your target such as:

and last but not least, you can switch weapon to anything you want since all other weapons have a skill that applies cripple.

There is another solution which I believe is possible, which is using two sets of the same weapon, I have not tried this yet but if it works has it does with different weapons the cooldowns will not be shared meaning you can preform a skill two times in a row at the cost of losing the flexebility of using two different sets. (has anyone confirmed this?)

In the end aren't you being a bit too picky? You dont like the weapon aesthetics, you dont like targeting skills, you dont agree to a particular skill in the set, you dont like the mechanics or you dont like concept of the proffesion...      

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683
    Originally posted by DeadlyGhost

There is another solution which I believe is possible, which is using two sets of the same weapon, I have not tried this yet but if it works has it does with different weapons the cooldowns will not be shared meaning you can preform a skill two times in a row at the cost of losing the flexebility of using two different sets. (has anyone confirmed this?)

Busted, I'm afraid. If you have two sets of the same weapon, they share a cooldown. For instance, fire number 5 on your longbow, then switch to another longbow, 5 is still on cooldown.

You can use two different offhands with the same mainhand, and the offhands will not share cooldown (though the mainhands will) In other words if I have sword/shield and I use sword number 3, then shield 4, then swap to sword/axe.....my axe skills will not be on cooldown, but the mainhand sword 3 still will be. Hope that made sense.

• PJonePJone Member Posts: 63
    Originally posted by Zylaxx

Yes was a Gladiator S3 on Warrior and S5 on DK in WoW.  I was also a Duelist every season I played except S4 (quit to go to WAR).  The last 3 MMO's Ive played structured PvP or Warfronts/Battlegrounds are the ONLY endgame activity I do.  Im not a boastful person but I am pretty damn good when it comes to small scale PvP, which I got started in running 8 man gank groups in DAoC.

Lol at being a Gladiator with those 2 classes during those 2 seasons. The seasons of "Stunherald" and where DK's could spam a /castrandom macro with a dozen abilities on it and make killing someone look like taking candy from a 2 year old. Not to mention Blood DK's could solo 2v2s because Death Strike healed them for half their life if they had a BoH and Grim Toll was procced.

Harsh truths aside, pretty much everyone I played with in Beta had only positive things to say about the weapon system. But I suppose we put more emphasis on building a character that had utility and had the potential to be successful in PvP encounters as opposed to "I have to use these weapons because I only like the looks of them." The only real complaints came from the Thieves, because in all honestly they are the weakest and easiest class to deal with in the game. They are really only the best at running away from fights; glass cannon (burst damage) builds are bad in general if you end up finding anyone with a decent amount of HP and total defense value (toughness + armor). Plus, the initiative system puts that terrible resource strain on the class and it really makes some abilities flat out useless because it is not worth the cost.

Someone on page 1 said something along the lines of "I'd rather have 15 abilities and use most or all of them consistently than have 30+ abilities and only ever use 3-5 of them." Obviously that's a personal preference, but one would have to be a rather peculiar individual to enjoy using 10-15% of your skills more than using 75-100% of your skills.

I think a lot of the hate on the combat and skill system in GW2 stems from players growing complacent with the mediocre-at-best combat systems in other MMOs. The combat systems that emphasize and encourage the use of only a handful of skills because they are infinitely superior to the other 2 dozen skills in every situation. I believe the hate/discontent also stems from those players being to stubborn and lazy to learn a system that actually requires the use of more than a handful of brain cells to be successful in (this ties into the complacency factor). Players at the top of their game don't want to leave that known "e-fame" behind and have to re-establish it from Square 1 all over again, especially if they need to learn how to play the system and can't just walk in after crunching numbers with a set of skills that will always be superior no matter what.