Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Very close to buying this.

ExavusExavus Member Posts: 200

I'm hearing from a lot of people on these boards and other boards that the game has a great storyline and has great immersion. Part of what makes me enjoy online games like this is immersion. Do you guys think it's worth it? I'm not too concerned about the combat being a little slow. Do you group up with other players much at all or is it mostly a single player experience? 

I've played a ton of MMO's and the only thing I can closely compare this to is maybe SWTOR? that game was alright I enjoyed it up to level 30 or so before I stopped. How is the skill system? 

Current MMO: WoW/GW2

Comments

• tarestares Member Posts: 381

Pretty close to SWTOR, your toon doesn't talk in cuscenes and you have no options in dialog. Are investigation missions with puzzles. You are alone most of the time, are some instances and PvP zones for grouping.

Think that is my issue with all games now days, no immersion. The MMOs I was able to play for years,  just had so much going on I could get lost in them.

I read an article that made me laugh about a TSW review, the guy was on an RP server and role playing a guy who thought he was stuck in an MMO, every time he found a bug he would role play.  Immersive in that way.  I didn't find it to immersive, more like a grind, bugs, and every once in a while something cool.

Here is the link, is funny writing http://kotaku.com/mmo/

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

I think the game has the best storylines and characters in an mmorpg. Probably the best in a game I've played this year easily.

The amount of optimization you have over your character and gear is immense. Which means you are your own worst enemy in this game. You can be a literal glass cannon that puts out tremendous dps and at the same time almost be one shot. Or you could build yourself to be nearly invicible but take forever to kill some mobs.

It's a great game in my opinion but probably won't appeal to everyone. Combat starts out slow especially being melee.  Hit 1, hit 2, repeat. It does get better as you go along. 

It really depends what you want out of the game. If you want to get your months worth of entertainment. I'd say it's a definite purchase. If you want something that will hold you for longer, I can't say personally. It's far too early for me to judge.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

to me the zones and atmosphere are great but the immersion factor is greatly lacking.. I really enjoy this game for many reason and 100% can say its at least worth the box price if you are a themepark fan. Issue to me with immersion is nothing really feels like its going on in the zones. They are presented much much better than anything swtor had to offer but still has a similar diorama feeling to them. Most npcs don't move you don't have dynamic events going with npcs running around fending off attackers(guards are basically static and only move a bit as an enemy comes near them then they return to their orginial position) on are anything that actual brings the zones to life and make it feel truly like a living breathing world. Honestly the only game I have gotten that feeling in an MMO setting recently is GW2 which is why I enjoy that game so much and can't wait for it.  But overall the quests, the story, the skill wheel, the lore, the dungeons are all fantastic to play through and worth your time:)

if you decide to get the game MMORPG templar guild on grim is always looking for new members:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• ExavusExavus Member Posts: 200
    Originally posted by Atlan99

I think the game has the best storylines and characters in an mmorpg. Probably the best in a game I've played this year easily.

The amount of optimization you have over your character and gear is immense. Which means you are your own worst enemy in this game. You can be a literal glass cannon that puts out tremendous dps and at the same time almost be one shot. Or you could build yourself to be nearly invicible but take forever to kill some mobs.

It's a great game in my opinion but probably won't appeal to everyone. Combat starts out slow especially being melee.  Hit 1, hit 2, repeat. It does get better as you go along. 

It really depends what you want out of the game. If you want to get your months worth of entertainment. I'd say it's a definite purchase. If you want something that will hold you for longer, I can't say personally. It's far too early for me to judge.

Yeah I don't think an MMO is required to give months and months of gameplay. if I get 30+ hours on any MMO and I enjoyed it then it's worth the purchase to me. I put around 40-50 hours into SWTOR and I still found it to be worth it. Asking for more seems greedy to me.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

I just caved.  I've followed the game for SO long, love the premise, the art design, the quest design etc. and really applaud Funcom for not making some flash in the pan clone mmo... the only reason I wasn't going to get this game was because of EA... and prehaps because I didn't enjoy the combat during beta.  But, I've decided I simply want to support Funcom and give this game another chance after my beta experiences.

So... here goes something.  Wish me luck... I'm going in.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

Originally posted by DeaconX

I just caved.  I've followed the game for SO long, love the premise, the art design, the quest design etc. and really applaud Funcom for not making some flash in the pan clone mmo... the only reason I wasn't going to get this game was because of EA... and prehaps because I didn't enjoy the combat during beta.  But, I've decided I simply want to support Funcom and give this game another chance after my beta experiences.

Let me know how your first few hours go :)

send me a yell if you go templar:P

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788

I will add my vote to the go for it I have enjoyed it so far and it has already proved to be worth the price of admission. It's not perfect but more than good enough and you will enjoy it if story and intrigue are your thing. I would also ask if your a fan of games like resident evil/silent hill horror games than you will def like this one a lot.....

• dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176

Man this game. I tell ya. I sat down to play a bit around lunch time. Later, my stomach was grumbling and I started to get a little headache. Whataya know, it is diner time now. Where did those 4+ hours go? I have not gotten sucked in to marathon gaming like that in a long time. Best thing is I did not even notice the time go by.

I  think the last time I actually did that in an MMO was in the original EQ.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062
    Originally posted by Exavus

I'm about to take my girl to a bakery so I won't be able to write my first impressions for quite some time -- but will do!

Originally posted by Aerowyn

I plan on going Templar on Arcana (RP server, I think)

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

I'm on Arcadia, send Bombs a tell if you have any questions, etc...

Happy to help.

I'm about to take my girl to a bakery so I won't be able to write my first impressions for quite some time -- but will do!

Originally posted by Aerowyn

cabals are cross server so you are welcome to join :)

Why are templars in demand? are they good in groups? 

Why are templars in demand? are they good in groups? 

faction doesn't really matter much in the game you can group with any faction you just can't pvp with them. Also cabals are faction locked but besides that pick the one you find the most interesting

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

I'd buy the game, if it wouldn't have the same tab-target combat as we had a decade ago.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

Originally posted by maji

I'd buy the game, if it wouldn't have the same tab-target combat as we had a decade ago.

and you'd be wrong but thanks for adding nothing ot the thread

• BerikaiBerikai Member Posts: 162

Kinda like how cars have had steering wheels since forever huh?

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

I broke down and ordered it. 

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

Not sure about the magic and Meele classes but if you go ranged you do not have to Tab at all. I am a Shotgun user. I rarely Tab at all unless it's a Boss that is tall and I want to see my finisher bar fill up. Shottie does both single and cone/area damage. AR does too to a lesser extent. Not sure about others.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• kreakrea Member UncommonPosts: 237

I'm hearing from a lot of people on these boards and other boards that the game has a great storyline and has great immersion. Part of what makes me enjoy online games like this is immersion. Do you guys think it's worth it? I'm not too concerned about the combat being a little slow. Do you group up with other players much at all or is it mostly a single player experience? 

I've played a ton of MMO's and the only thing I can closely compare this to is maybe SWTOR? that game was alright I enjoyed it up to level 30 or so before I stopped. How is the skill system? 

Well its up to you ofcours i didnt even like the game for like half year in closed beta or maybe i just didnt put enough time in it. Takes a bit to get used to but yeh it has alot of immersion maybe most from what i played and did play most since eq 1 .

And yeh its somewhat like swtor i was realy hyped for that game and even if it did have more budget the voice overs in this game are way better for me maybe its the setting but for some reason it feels more immersive . dont watch the bad english been long day.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by tares

Pretty close to SWTOR, your toon doesn't talk in cuscenes and you have no options in dialog. Are investigation missions with puzzles. You are alone most of the time, are some instances and PvP zones for grouping.

Think that is my issue with all games now days, no immersion. The MMOs I was able to play for years,  just had so much going on I could get lost in them.

I read an article that made me laugh about a TSW review, the guy was on an RP server and role playing a guy who thought he was stuck in an MMO, every time he found a bug he would role play.  Immersive in that way.  I didn't find it to immersive, more like a grind, bugs, and every once in a while something cool.

sry... but what about you talking?

• chaod1984chaod1984 Member Posts: 271

Templar bible thumpers and Illuminati Corporatists are scum...join the Dragons...we fight for no-one but ourselves!

• chaod1984chaod1984 Member Posts: 271
    Originally posted by JosephJR
    Originally posted by tares

sry... but what about you talking?

I'd honestly say that solo, you are gonna find the game a little tough...Imma solo'er I know.  But with a group, you get added incentive and the game is a bit more easy.  The mobs are tough, but I like the challenge.  Im tank specced and now in Blue Mountain not having too much difficulty.  But with a grouping adds more incentive...you can go either way...that's the beauty of the game.  The Instanced dungeons are some of the best Ive been in...they are like raids for other MMO's

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

It's a pretty fun game overall but I would say 90%+ of the player base is playing it like a SPG.  That's not a bad thing and it is a pretty good SPG and worth playing just for that but very few are playing it like a MMO.

• BigRock411BigRock411 Member Posts: 299
    Originally posted by udon

It's a pretty fun game overall but I would say 90%+ of the player base is playing it like a SPG.  That's not a bad thing and it is a pretty good SPG and worth playing just for that but very few are playing it like a MMO.

90% in kingsmouth and savage coast...that percent drops drastically in blue mountain onward when you start to realize that its extremely difficult to solo...especially the final tier on most missions.

kingsmouth and savage coast are really looking like "cake walks" right now to me...i mean im doing fine its just there is like no margin for error...especially with pulling adds.