Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hard things to do , choosing the right class

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
I am having a hard time choosing the right class. There are just to many classes that i want to play, but none of them is perfect. I am looking for diversity in a class, and for survivabillity, for controll and support, a jack of all trades.

I want a class with good ranged AoE, good crowd controll, and lots of (self) healing, but also the abbility to change in a real mellee class. A class that can be a lastline caster, but also a frontline warrior.

There are many options, but i just cant choose. And being a casuall player with no endless amounts of gametime, i want to concentrate on one single character, meaning its important to choose the right class

Anyone else having a hard time choosing his main class

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

Honestly, I have never had this much trouble picking a main.

The next BWE is when I try the last 2 classes, mezmer and engineer. Maybe one of them will shine for me.

• KyelthisKyelthis Member UncommonPosts: 287

The next BWE will feature a slew of new changes for classes and hopefully the new added traits will make it in too so we can test them out. Honestly, all I want is for them to address some of the issues the Thief has currently and I'll be happy.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

I've never had this problem, because no matter the capability of my class I always want to fill the ranger/archer niche.  But regardless I'd say keep trying out builds because theres so many classes that can do what you listed and it really comes down to personal preference. 

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• ThadrisThadris Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    I am having a hard time choosing the right class. There are just to many classes that i want to play, but none of them is perfect. I am looking for diversity in a class, and for survivabillity, for controll and support, a jack of all trades.

I want a class with good ranged AoE, good crowd controll, and lots of (self) healing, but also the abbility to change in a real mellee class. A class that can be a lastline caster, but also a frontline warrior.

There are many options, but i just cant choose. And being a casuall player with no endless amounts of gametime, i want to concentrate on one single character, meaning its important to choose the right class

I will try to keep this as short as possible,

I have played in all beta events and I my self have had issues on deciding what class, pre beta and all i was all about nacro, after trying out things i was gona be Theif, and a while later I found my self deciding between ranger and ele, to end up with mesmer. Played mesmer a lot in pvp and pve and enjoyed it, to than go back to SWTOR and play it while i w8 for GW2 and than decide i wana be engeener.

Now what you are asking for is not possible as not a single class has it all, however I will try to help you. Survivabilty in thins game comes in different ways. One is traits and thoughness and vitalaty points, they increase armor and health, (just an FYI, armor in this game reduces all types dmg, be it magical or physical), another way is high mobility a third way is dodging, and a 4th way is a lot of self heals or utility spells like stealth. This all depends on your personal style, i got a build for my Engeneer that gives me a lot of mobility and and endurace regain, with quite nice dmg. So survivability mostly depends on ur playstyle and on your traits. Obviously a guardian will have heavy armor and be tanker than a elementalist but in general its all up to traits and playstyle.

Now about being able to go in do dmg, and also depening on situation stay far and dmg from far, id say your best option is a ranger or a warrior thought id preffer warrior for that just coz of heavy armor and better meele skills (all my opinion not facts). AoE mosty comes from Elementalists and nacromancers. CC probably Guardians and mesmers, a lot of self healing Elementalist and Guardians (though they can heal others too). All clases are quite versitle, depending on ur builds, trait and armor and weapons runes.

My suggestion is in the upcoming beta, if you pre purchased the game, play all classes to like lvl 4/5 and few PvP battlegrounds, if you find your self lacking time, I would suggest try either Warrior with Rifle/(meele weapon of choice (all are quite good depending on what situation)) and Elementalist becasue eles are one of the most versitlie classes in the game and offer quite a lot of different things.

NOTE: THIS IS ALL MY OPINION AND FROM MY EXPERIENCE WITH EVERY CLASS UP TO LVL 10 IN PVE AND AT LEAST 5 BATTLEGROUNDS WITH EACH CLASS. ANOTHER THING I MAY HAVE GOTTEN SOME THINGS WRONG AS IT IS LATE NIGHT IN EUROPE AND I AM TIRED. Other than than feel free to respond and or ask questions or clarification on anythign i said, or feel free to correct me.

• Poison_AdelePoison_Adele Member CommonPosts: 287

The only one that I think fits what you've asked for is the mesmer if you go staffxsword, which I've played extensively.

• Staff has an AoE "attack" that throws up random buffs and debuffs, often resulting in a lot of damage. Mainhand sword does good AoE damage but needs to be at close range.
    • Mesmer is very diverse and able to survive/escape if you play them right.
    • Mesmer is primarily control and support focused.
    • Same self-healing as most of the classes though.
    • Staff is relatively long-range. 
    • Mainhand sword is melee high damage.

• PocahinhaPocahinha Member UncommonPosts: 550

Im having the same issue...i want to play only one char..and want to make the best choice that makes me wanna play it over and over having fun .

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

Every class fits that mold and it's really a matter of how you build them.  Pretty much any profession can be a jack of all trades if you want.  It's not really about whether such and such profession has X skills anymore to suit your playstyle, but if you like the overall feeling of each profession since nearly any profession can fit in any playstyle.  Sure, some professions are better than it at others (EX: Thief and Necromancer can't bring the best support, but they can certainly bring a lot if you spec them into it).  I'd ask yourself the following:

1.  Do you like the profession's main mechanic?  This would be Ranger's pets, Necro's lich form, Warrior's adrenline skills, etc.

2.  Do you like the overall style of the profession and their abilities?

3.  Do you want to do anything specifically better than others?  If you are going to be a jack of all trades any profession can do that just as well as the others.

4.  Do you like the overall look of the armor type on that character?

5.  What weapons do you want to wield?

If you ask those 5 questions you should be able to narrow down a choice.

• MattVidMattVid Member Posts: 399

Hmmm, I honestly don't know what one would be best for you. I would recommend playing them all and then narrowing in on one for release. Worst comes to worst, you can play with a few on release too before choosing one.

I can say my guardian definitely felt like a "front line warrior" and had "a lot of self/group healing". Though many classes can be supportive. It is hard to say, but you are probably going to be looking at more of a melee focused class than say a Mesmer/Necro/Elementalist, as I don't see them being that front line damage dealing as they are more casters using more magic based skills. But I haven't played any of them past 5 ... so honestly, they could be more melee focused if you build them right.

I would just pick something you like the look of, like the armor and the special mechanics. You can mold it into whatever you want over time.

• I've actually decided on my main - Ranger (and I normally hate pet classes and dislaike bows) after dinking around with all the professions.  I love it because I've figured out how to solo with it and play support (group) with it and do stupid stuff with it (like running through level 22 areas at level 13 - not suggested but other explorers will understand completely that I had to see what was on the other side of that hill....hmmm make that hills, many hills).  Being able to get some speed while distracting mobs with my pets is awesome.

My suggestion is to pick your top 3 and be sure to try them out in every situation you want to excel in.  For me it means I keep different weapons on me for support (usually only used when I'm in a group but useful in certain DEs) while equipping my solo stuff so I can swap them in from inventory if needed.  It really is fantastic that we can swap out utility skills so easily as I tend to play more than others I know and being able to switch on the fly makes it easy to group up fast.

Also, if you haven't tried every weapon choice available for a profession do so - I had it somehow in my head that Thief was useless because I really can't stand the dagger animations.  Went back and tried all the other choices for Thief and decided that Thief would be a good alt.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

You have another BWE in about 12 days. Roll every class to level 10 or so and see if you like the flow. Personally, I've settled on a warrior main. I plan to make all classes eventually but the I like the flow of the warrior the best. That is unless ArenaNet does a complete 180 on the thief class and actually makes it fun from level 1.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by heartless

You have another BWE in about 12 days. Roll every class to level 10 or so and see if you like the flow. Personally, I've settled on a warrior main. I plan to make all classes eventually but the I like the flow of the warrior the best. That is unless ArenaNet does a complete 180 on the thief class and actually makes it fun from level 1.

Thank you all for the advise...

In the last BWE and stress tests, i played my 5 prefered classes till about level 10, and that didn´t help me to much... Didnt get a chance to do a lot of structured PvP yet, thats what i plan to do next BWE

Guardian is much fun and comes close to be my choice, except that i cant really find my role in keep defence/offence, because of the lack of range.

Elementalists and Necromancers where fun to play, but i didn´t like their looks to much (cloth) the necromancer felt very sollid, the Elementalist felt spectacular, but very squishy. However this might change at higher levels when you get more traits. But at level 10 espescially the dagger/dagger shortrange lacked survivabillity cömpared to other classes. Necromancer was okay, but i felt their pets missed some punch, however survivabillity while still doing good damage was through the roof. But i could not find to much controll abillities.

I tried Mesmers too, but i could not get over the fact that those illusions do no damage at all. They are just there. Personally the Mesmer felt like a one trick pony. Had to delete it after a few levels.

Thiefs felt fun but squishy, But couldnt find a support/controll build for them yet, and maybe that is not quite possible yet. Thieves armor and weapon choices look great however.  I am still in doubt about thieves survivabillity when fighting a few mobs at a time. The initiative system is quite fun to play with.

Warriors look great and seem like a decent choice, but somehow they miss the diversity my WoW warrior had. That sounds stupid, i know, but i had so much fun playing it in those days that nothing can compare.  I have a hard time figuring out about warriors after just a few levels, and i havent seen most of their weapons yet.  On top of the the warrior special skills (F1) just doesnt cut it compared to the coolnes of other classes

I didnt try Rangers and Engineers because their theme just doesnt fit my style.

NEedles to say i had a lot of fun playing all these classes except for the mesmer, i just could not get intoo that,  and that makes the choice even harder... I dont want to end up switching between classes, my real life currently doesnt allow that, i just want to concentrate on one class and enjoy that without looking back.

Next BWE i will be trying Guardian/Elementalist/warrior in structured PvP to see how they perform at that level. Maybe also Necromance and thief.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

You don't need ranged in WvWvW, that's what seige is for.  An anti-infantry seige weapon is going to perform at least 5X better than a person using a ranged weapon.  Guardians are EXTREMELY good in WvWvW because not only do they provide so much support, but their zone control is quite ridiculous.  Use Sanctuary on a Seige Weapon and that Seige Weapon is effectively shut down for several seconds allowing your allies to destroy it.  Not to mention they can easily run into a zerg of enemies and survive.  They also have a pull via greatsword which is pretty amazing.  I'd easily rate them the #1 profession to have around for WvWvW.

I know our Elementalists didn't find dagger to be very good.  They all used staff primarily.  Their survivability seemed decent enough, especially with the signet that heals you whenever you cast and putting some points into toughness and vit.  I can't speak entirely on their builds though, just that I knew they had that.  They aren't anywhere near the level of a Ranger and Guardian in the survivability department, but I don't consider them squishy like Mesmers and Thieves either.

Most consider the Thief underpowered right now.  They are getting some buffs next BWE (or at least they are reworking some skills).  Might want to give them a shot there.  Their support generally only comes from traits (and the stealth utility) the ones focused on stealing and it's not nearly as good as other professions though they do have a lot of control.

I'd suggest either Guardian or Thief (hopefully when they get buffs) for you based on that information.

• ShaikeShaike Member UncommonPosts: 301

Again - 1st I am apologizing for being lazy and not reading what everyone else wrote...
    BUT - because PVP actually lets you be lvl80 simply try all classes - one after the other - in PVP.
    That way you will see what all the abilities are of each class (profession in GW2) and decide. That's what I did (need to test 3 more classes) - but for now I chose "Guardian" - which has melee abilities and ranged abilities, can actually heal himself and others and allows me from time to time to just go head-2-head with mobs (which is kinda fun for me...) - I know its sacrilege but it kinda reminds me of a better "WoW Paladin"

Hopes this helps...

Just my 2 cents...

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152
    Originally posted by heartless

Thank you all for the advise...

In the last BWE and stress tests, i played my 5 prefered classes till about level 10, and that didn´t help me to much... Didnt get a chance to do a lot of structured PvP yet, thats what i plan to do next BWE

Guardian is much fun and comes close to be my choice, except that i cant really find my role in keep defence/offence, because of the lack of range.

Elementalists and Necromancers where fun to play, but i didn´t like their looks to much (cloth) the necromancer felt very sollid, the Elementalist felt spectacular, but very squishy. However this might change at higher levels when you get more traits. But at level 10 espescially the dagger/dagger shortrange lacked survivabillity cömpared to other classes. Necromancer was okay, but i felt their pets missed some punch, however survivabillity while still doing good damage was through the roof. But i could not find to much controll abillities.

I tried Mesmers too, but i could not get over the fact that those illusions do no damage at all. They are just there. Personally the Mesmer felt like a one trick pony. Had to delete it after a few levels.

Thiefs felt fun but squishy, But couldnt find a support/controll build for them yet, and maybe that is not quite possible yet. Thieves armor and weapon choices look great however.  I am still in doubt about thieves survivabillity when fighting a few mobs at a time. The initiative system is quite fun to play with.

Warriors look great and seem like a decent choice, but somehow they miss the diversity my WoW warrior had. That sounds stupid, i know, but i had so much fun playing it in those days that nothing can compare.  I have a hard time figuring out about warriors after just a few levels, and i havent seen most of their weapons yet.  On top of the the warrior special skills (F1) just doesnt cut it compared to the coolnes of other classes

I didnt try Rangers and Engineers because their theme just doesnt fit my style.

NEedles to say i had a lot of fun playing all these classes except for the mesmer, i just could not get intoo that,  and that makes the choice even harder... I dont want to end up switching between classes, my real life currently doesnt allow that, i just want to concentrate on one class and enjoy that without looking back.

Next BWE i will be trying Guardian/Elementalist/warrior in structured PvP to see how they perform at that level. Maybe also Necromance and thief.

That is what I did during the stress test, 5 solid hours of sPvP.

It was a far better way to check out the classes than the WvW, because you have all the traits and stuff. Except for weapons, unless I was missing something, there were no options to change weapons.

Originally posted by Adalwulff

It was a far better way to check out the classes than the WvW, because you have all the traits and stuff. Except for weapons, unless I was missing something, there were no options to change weapons.

There are PvP vendors in the Mist that sell weapons.  They also sell different jewelry, runes (for your armor), gems, and sigils for the PvP weapons so you can further customize what stats and special passives you want to bring in to SPvP.  It's a good thing too, because the default setups for every profession are god awful.

• QuenchsterQuenchster Member Posts: 450
    Originally posted by Adalwulff

There are vendors to test out all weapons and all enchants within the mists. All enchants and basic equipment are free. You can also unlock different looking armor with glory and there are lockers to put all that glory gear in from what I recall.

• buden-ninjabuden-ninja Member UncommonPosts: 53

Same problem for me. My favourite professions in GW1 were the Ranger and Necro in that order. I liked most of the classes but those 2 especially. Ironically, I haven't tried those yet in GW2. I tried a thief first because I like that kind of character in most cases. I enjoyed the thief personally. I don't know if he was underpowered as people on the forum were saying. I had fun, so that was the most important part for me. I thought I would like the engineer but found it kind of underwhelming. I would like to try it for longer though in the next BWE. Warrior was good but I didn't like the utility skills. Mesmer was fun. I will probably roll a necro and a ranger in the next event to see what they are like. The necro looks interesting for sure. Guardian and elementalist will be on the bottom of my list. Those are just the kind of characters that aren't for me. 

• KyelthisKyelthis Member UncommonPosts: 287

The Thief is very playable in SPvP and you can do very well if you get a hang of how to play them and when to go into a fight and when to exit one, but they have some inherent flaws right now. One of the main ones is the steal mechanic and how it feels like you almost HAVE to trait it to make it worth anything more than another shadowstep. Other classes don't have to trait their F1 class ability to make it useful. Hopefully they can move some of those traits further down the trees instead of at the end.

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

I started with Elementalist and found the prof to be awesome so I stopped (keeping Ele for release) and started Guardian, loved it even more so I stopped and rolled Ranger, then Mesmer, then a bit of Warrior.... damn I like them all.

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435

u forgot lasers from eyes and fireballs out of ur as*

• IrusIrus Member Posts: 774

I'm kinda having the same problem.

Originally, I sort of decided on a Rifle Warrior but I'm not sure anymore. I'm thinking also Asura Thief, or maybe a Guardian. Similar to you I'm iffy on cloth-wearing characters, even though I like the Necromancer.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

I've played all the classes into the teens. My problem is, the only classes that feel finished are the ranger, warrior, thief,  and the elementalist. Those 4 I'm sure will be the most played as we could see in WvsWvsW during the weekend betas. The rest seem to be lacking. I'm hoping with the changes they've made we'll see the others more fleshed out.

I usually just play one class, as I don't like alting it up. Though I think the game is really well done, I don't feel like some of the classes are. Usually, I have 2 or 3 classes I'm torn between playing. With GW2, unfortunately I'm having a hard time to find even 1 class that fits with what I'd like to play, and no I don't want to play a pure healer, so that's not it.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot