Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why did jedi knight series disappear?

CrisazgoCrisazgo Member Posts: 42

Does anyone know what happened to the whole jedi knight series? It seemed to die after the jedi academy game. Makes no sense. Surely it was profitable due to the star wars francise, received good reviews. I remember how many hours i spent playing the games in multiplayer vs real players & bots. It had a huge moding community. The gameplay was excellent, the graphics excellent. What happened.

Couldnt see anything about why it ended on the wiki page i looked.

That game remade on a modern engine with some of the gamemodes and unlock systems we see on present FPS games would be so good.

Comments

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246
    Originally posted by Crisazgo

Does anyone know what happened to the whole jedi knight series? It seemed to die after the jedi academy game. Makes no sense. Surely it was profitable due to the star wars francise, received good reviews. I remember how many hours i spent playing the games in multiplayer vs real players & bots. It had a huge moding community. The gameplay was excellent, the graphics excellent. What happened.

Couldnt see anything about why it ended on the wiki page i looked.

That game remade on a modern engine with some of the gamemodes and unlock systems we see on present FPS games would be so good.

Lucasarts.

That is the root of the problem with Star Wars games.  Just Lucasarts.  Star Wars used to have good games in alot of different genres.  I point to Lucasarts' glorious days of the 1990s.  It was a time when I could see the highly recognizable Lucasarts packaging (not just SW games), and I felt I had a really good shot at getting a quality game by just impulsively buying the title.

But the Lucasarts that exists now is nothing at all like the one that existed until The Phantom Menace movie came out.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• TrunksZTrunksZ Member Posts: 263

I don't really know why it died, but I loved every single Jedi Knight game, specially Jedi Academy, it made me feel like a Jedi, anyway the Storyline wasn't the best, but I loved the REAL ACTION aspect of the game, kinda like a FPS game, I really miss this game.

Kyle Katarn FTW  xD

• dronfwardronfwar Member Posts: 316

It had a huge moding community. The gameplay was excellent, the graphics excellent.

That's the problem. Modding DLC DRM MMO nough said. **** y'all.

• kaguhoOkaguhoO Member Posts: 84

jedi is overated already

cant wait for star wars 1313....bb jedi naps and welcome badass bounty hunters

Originally posted by kaguhoO

jedi is overated already

cant wait for star wars 1313....bb jedi naps and welcome badass bounty hunters

I dunno about that upcoming Star Wars bounty hunter thingie game.  It looks like a "Press X For Action!!!!!!" kind of game, which is not my type.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

Originally posted by dronfwar

It had a huge moding community. The gameplay was excellent, the graphics excellent.

That's the problem. Modding DLC DRM MMO nough said. **** y'all.

No, something else than that.  Jedi Outcast & Jedi Academy came out in 2002 and 2003 respectively.  That was a long time before this whole hoopla of DRM came about.

It's just like the killing off of the X-Wing game series that was headed up by Totally Games.  They were enjoying success and had a loyal following.  I was a big fan, but it all ended with X-Wing Alliance in 1998.  That franchise was doing good and Lucasarts wouldn't let Totally Games continue the series, namely because of Lucsarts' priority of TPM / Prequel-based games taking advantage of the recent release of the movie.  Instead of letting a successful franchise run its course, it gets axed in favor of retarded Star Wars games like "Super Bombad Racing."

Whatever sense or reason out there, Lucasarts has a knack for killing good franchises.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Why on Earth would Lucas Arts fund stuff that people want like Jedi Knight or Battlefront games when they can release total masterpieces like this? I think that video speaks for itself. image

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• cgniuscgnius Member Posts: 18

I still play Jedi Academy multiplayer against bots when I'm really bored.

Originally posted by Brenelael

Why on Earth would Lucas Arts fund stuff that people want like Jedi Knight or Battlefront games when they can release total masterpieces like this? I think that video speaks for itself. image

Bren

Please, don't hurt us anymore with that game image

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

There's a paragraph in the book "the Making of the Force Unleashed" where they talk about all the projects that got canned to make Force Unleashed. One was a sandbox game where you were a smuggler.

The other was a Jedi Knight game set during the Order 66 Purge with survival horror elements.

The listed reasons was, they were looking for a big hitter mainstream game and they didn't think those two were mainstream enough.

• Iced0verIced0ver Member Posts: 49

The Raven developers were horrible. I love their Star Wars games, but always buggy and never seemed fully finished. I don't think I was the only that thought that, hence a decrease in sales. I don't fully know, but Jedi Outcast 2 was so great. I'd go for JO3. 1313 looks pretty awesome though. I guess that will have to do.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Hell, back then I thought the Jedi Knights were the progressive downslope from the series.  X-wing, Tie-fighter, Rebellion.  I LOVE Rebellion.  It's still a game I load up every once in a while.

Fun times.