Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Importance of Permanence

124»

Comments

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

I agree with the OP. I'd even take it a step further and suggest that patches and content updates deteriorate from that permanense you speak of. I too have fond memories of old online games I used to play. And I've gone back to them only to find that they put an mall on top of my old fishing hole. I can't imagine if some of the single player games I've played on and off for years and years suddenly became different games. I like that about those games. I know what to expect and can take a nostalgiac waltz down memory lane any time I choose. WIth the online games, players seem to demand that things always change. Or maybe it's just an excuse to hire developers and give them paychecks, I dunno.

On one hand I understand why online games are ever changing and evolving. On the other hand, that doesn't mean I always have to like it.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

Originally posted by jpnz

Do I really care if a music band I enjoyed before is no longer together?

Not really, there are other musicians out there.

Do I really care if a movie/tv show ends?

Not really.

Why should MMOs be different?

I'll play what I find fun with my friends and move on.

Ah, but how would you feel if your favorite album was changed and you could never hear it the original way again? What if your favorite movie was changed? Sure there are lots of other movies and music to choose from, but sometimes you just want to hear one of your favorite songs. It would suck if that was somehow no longer possible, don't you think?

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• GrahorGrahor Member Posts: 828
    Originally posted by maplestone

Although I don't always come out and say it, in the back of my mind, I feel that MMOs should aspire the hold their players for a lifetime

So ... Is the sense of permanence an important consideration in your choice of MMOs?  Or am I just being a little eccentric?

Me trying to get my wife and her sister into a threesome is a little eccentric. You are freakin insane.

Originally posted by Palebane

Ah, but how would you feel if your favorite album was changed and you could never hear it the original way again? What if your favorite movie was changed? Sure there are lots of other movies and music to choose from, but sometimes you just want to hear one of your favorite songs. It would suck if that was somehow no longer possible, don't you think?

Please stop pushing the metaphor that hard! It's screaming in pain! You'll tear her apart, you monster!!

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Not really.

I don't find over-attached to the past useful. So 24 ended. Lost ended. ST TNG ended. It is not like i have a lack of entertainment now because those great shows ended.

I have yet to see a piece of entertainment so great that i cannot have fun with anything else but it.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by Palebane Originally posted by jpnz Do I really care if a music band I enjoyed before is no longer together? Not really, there are other musicians out there. Do I really care if a movie/tv show ends? Not really. Why should MMOs be different? I'll play what I find fun with my friends and move on.
    I don't find over-attached to the past useful. So 24 ended. Lost ended. ST TNG ended. It is not like i have a lack of entertainment now because those great shows ended.

I have yet to see a piece of entertainment so great that i cannot have fun with anything else but it.

Some things are great because they ended and didn't just keep going and going until the writers or developers run out of ideas. For instance, Happy Days probably could have ended a lot sooner and we wouldn't have "jumping the shark". The show would be remembered because of how good it was, not because it just kept going until they couldn't come up with any other ideas.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Personally, I think they should bring con-death back. My favorite MUD of all time had con-death and it allowed people to be more creative and adventerous with their characters. Tides of power would shift regularly and the whole world was so much more alive when during the summer it was the evil denizens of the Damned ruled the world and during the winter it could be the law-abiding Guardians of Law. Of course this was made possible through enforced RP and such, but it still kept the game from getting stale and stagnant.

Not really.

I get what you are saying, and I understand. But those old Johnny Carson episodes that they recorded over will never be seen again by anyone. That is the difference.

I get what you are saying, and I understand. But those old Johnny Carson episodes that they recorded over will never be seen again by anyone. That is the difference.

Lots of old movies, books, music pieces are lost forever, not even speaking about theatre and live actors perfomances.

One day, horrors, even you and me will die. Noone, never, ever again will see us, experience our wit and humor, laught with us like we laughed before... This is life. There is plenty of losses in life, permanent, eternal losses. The loss of another mmorpg is nothing special. Learn to live with it. *dakly* you'll need the skills of coping with permanent losses, the older you get, the more skill you need.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Not really.

Lots of great stuff will never be seen by anyone. We have limited life span. No one, unless you have a time machine, has enough time to experience all good entertainment.

I don't see why it is not better to simple experience the latest and greatest. I have seen old Johnny Carson. While he is great, i would not feel missing out watching an episode of Big Bang Theory (which probably elicit as much laughter from me as Johny ... if no t more) instead of an old JC episode.

• mysticalunamysticaluna Member UncommonPosts: 265

I'm one of those old-school players who miss the community and how Everquest 1 used to be before WoW... I still love playing WoW, EQ2 , Lotrs Online, SW:ToR, etc.... I can play other mmos, I can play single player games, I can play facebook games... but it still isn't the way it was on EQ....

The old experience, the old feel that is all dead and gone now and the experience is lonelier and depressing... you get into a group and players usually are dead silent to busy pressing buttons to have a real conversation and be friendly, or you see people fighting over pieces of loot that are just digital data... 

Even when said loot was fairly easy to attain, and only required getting lucky on a random number generated roll off a single boss monster, and there was no epic long questline required, the next week you fight the same exact raid mob again and it will probably drop that item again... 

People just used to be friendly, and now they aren't, they are rushed and loot crazed, and it is a shallow experience.  You can play single player games for a shallow experience, why do MMOs have to be short lived?

They truly should last awhile, you should know who people are, and quests should be in-depth and not shallow fetch repetitive kill this mob, then go kill this mob, and go back out there and kill this guy that was right there where you were the previous 3 times...   

I miss Star Wars Galaxies and hope we can get a game like that with housing on different planets again, and buying stuff all over the galaxy!! Dancing/Musician Missions and Choose your own skills classless system would be awesome... Give us a sandbox like SWG/Eve Online that is purely PVE with in-depth crafting and housing please!! 

• mysticalunamysticaluna Member UncommonPosts: 265

Oh, btw, I still miss 3rd Rock from the Sun every single time I watch The Big Bang Theory,  and there is not a second that I would ever choose it over old classics like 3rd Rock from the Sun, I would watch Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Step by Step, Family Matters, Perfect Strangers, Mad About You, Friends, Seinfield, Frasier, Murphy Brown, Hey! Arnold, Rocko's Modern Life, Doug, any of these shows of the past '90's era over what we have today!! 

Old Nickolodean and 90's tv rocked!! 

Boy Meets World, ahhh all of these shows used to be soooo entertaining!! 

Not really.

Lots of great stuff will never be seen by anyone. We have limited life span. No one, unless you have a time machine, has enough time to experience all good entertainment.

I don't see why it is not better to simple experience the latest and greatest. I have seen old Johnny Carson. While he is great, i would not feel missing out watching an episode of Big Bang Theory (which probably elicit as much laughter from me as Johny ... if no t more) instead of an old JC episode.

Yep, you are right. If you've never seen any of those old episodes you really aren't missing anything. But hypothetically if someone has seen them and loved watching them or whatever, if one day they are suddenly unable, its kind of a drag. That's all I was saying. No, it isn't the end of the world. But you will never experience that again and you will never be able to share it with your friends or your children.  I don't get upset that I can't see an old commercial on TV that I used to like. I can explain that to my friends or family and they might be able to picture it in their minds and get a laugh out of it.

Lots of today's media lasts forever and ever. Music and television will always be around and available as long as computers still operate. Many old PC games are getting new life on todays machines. But when features or entire zones in online games change, they are gone forever (unless there is some kind of emulator of course.) Again, not the end of the world, but still can be a major drag depending on your emotional investment and how clearly you can communicate when trying to share what is no longer there. It's like trying to explain to your son how cool his grandfather was, though he never got to meet them.