Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it just me or are female characters a little bit oversexualized?

BubbaganooshBubbaganoosh Member UncommonPosts: 25

Not that I'm complaining but I imagine some players want to play a female character that isn't running around dressed like a prostitute. So what do you think? Are female character's oversexualized?

Comments

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

I think you are being a little sensitive here. It is a Fantasy MMO. Actually GW2 and GW1 are not bad compared to Tera, Rift, etc.

• kastakasta Member Posts: 512

I voted no but then my female characters were a human warrior and a human engineer.

• CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657

The clothing for the femaies was actually designed by females  so I don't see an issue

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by Cromica

The clothing for the femaies was actually designed by females  so I don't see an issue

lol...

Anyway, here's a nice sexy pic for reference...

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035
    Originally posted by botrytis

Actually GW2 and GW1 are not bad compared to Tera, Rift, etc.

Why is it that AoC managed to avoid a lot of the "my inner feminist is offended" posts and it has full frontal? It really seems that people see oversexualization when there is the least bit left to the imagination, but when it's all out there, it's almost refreshingly 'honest'. Very, very strange stuff people.

I voted boobies, btw.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• atziluthatziluth Member UncommonPosts: 1,190

If you want to see sexualization... look no further than Tera... I hear one of the bosses is pedobear. 

-Atziluth-

- Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

• WolfenbrWolfenbr Member Posts: 34

Most games are like that :) But in gw2 you have plenty of options to not "oversexualize" your character, medium and heavy armor classes are better at that it seems.

• HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773

[mod edit]

Female chars in GW2 are a sorry excuse for anything remotely "sexy".

[mod edit]

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Personally i think espescially the female cloth stuff looks way to Asian.... but there are some pieces that save the day..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608

No female character is ever oversexualized enough

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

This is most mainstream of mainstream high-fantasy production. 

What did you expect?

If you dig  realistic fantasy production non-indie production, then hmm you're out of luck.

No game like that at horizon.

Well there are some 'in the making' that don't have that much revealing clothes and more realistic looking armor, but they are 'ligh-mood' silly style in other ways.

• Poison_AdelePoison_Adele Member CommonPosts: 287

Sigh. I voted yes because the poll was in general, but if you're referring specifically to Guild Wars 2, I disagree.

I'm a feminist, and frankly I think it's just as sexist when people call women in revealing clothing "dressing like prostitutes". Slut-shaming is just as crappy as oversexualizing women, people. 

I find your post overly simplistic. Yeah, lots of women don't want to play a character in revealing clothing. Lots of women do. A very small portion of the starting female armors are skimpy, and there are plenty of early-level alternatives. Guild Wars 2 has a fairly progressive set of armors. There's variety, so you don't feel like you're at a Mormon convention, and you're given the choice of whether or not you want to wear something skimpy, super skimpy, or church-appropriate. And frankly, even most of the skimpy outfits are not particularily sexualized--they're revealing for both male and female characters without looking like lingerie (the starting human cloth armor being a major exception).

I think you should honestly do some research into just what the GW2 armors look like before grumbling about "I don't want to look like a prostitute". There are tons of options and you aren't forced into wearing any of them.

• NilenyaNilenya Member UncommonPosts: 364
    Originally posted by Bubbaganoosh

Not that I'm complaining but I imagine some players want to play a female character that isn't running around dressed like a prostitute. So what do you think? Are female character's oversexualized?

I voted no.

My toon is a female thief, and my toon at lvl 47 is showing nothing. She is completely covered up to her neck. Full body flowing coat as well as leather leggings and body armor.

There is nothing suggestive about her appearance at all.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by atziluth

If you want to see sexualization... look no further than Tera... I hear one of the bosses is pedobear. 

That's the funny thing.  Regardless of the obfuscation, GW2 is every bit as bad as TERA in regard to over-sexualization.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

I think they are to a degree, GW2 definitely has some skimpy womens outfits which I normally do not like but some of the higher end stuff covers more area.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• mikunimanmikuniman Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Originally posted by colddog04
    Originally posted by Cromica

lol...

Anyway, here's a nice sexy pic for reference...

looks fine to me, so why is this always an issue? I do agree would be nice if you had more choices at creation. Like if you wanted to create a curvy guy/gal. Just be happy your not creating the freak people in TSW?

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

That girl in the blue outfit several posts above this?

Thats not even an attractive outfit... thats an embarrassing outfit.

Hideous.

Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

Thats not even an attractive outfit... thats an embarrassing outfit.

Hideous.

Agreed, Lady Gaga comes to mind.

• IrusIrus Member Posts: 774

Yep. Even a male friend of mine complained, he plays a lot of females in games and he hated the starting outfit for the necromancer. Compare to the male necromancer, who has a huge ass robe... lol

• xposeidonxposeidon Member Posts: 384
    Originally posted by Rohn

That's the funny thing.  Regardless of the obfuscation, GW2 is every bit as bad as TERA in regard to over-sexualization.

Not even close, in Tera Females actually bend over and run with their ass shoved on your monitor, thats oversexualization. In GW2 at least they walk and run with some decency. And dont get me started with how they gather nodes.

Remember... all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Yeah, you can't compare GW2 with Tera in the sexualization of females. It's not just the clothes and armor but the mannerisms of the characters as well.

Originally posted by xposeidon

Not even close, in Tera Females actually bend over and run with their ass shoved on your monitor, thats oversexualization. In GW2 at least they walk and run with some decency. And dont get me started with how they gather nodes.

~and I fail to see the problem.

When did our in-game characters take on the mental personification of a hypothetical teenage daughter you want to preserve the modesty of?

Men play as women in-game because of libido. If you are going to get all sexually repressed about it, play as men.

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880
    Originally posted by Nilenya
    Originally posted by Bubbaganoosh

I voted no.

My toon is a female thief, and my toon at lvl 47 is showing nothing. She is completely covered up to her neck. Full body flowing coat as well as leather leggings and body armor.

There is nothing suggestive about her appearance at all.

*scratches thief off list of classes to play*

=P

• friednietzfriednietz Member Posts: 118

Usually as males grow in power gear-wise, they become more covered up and imposing.

Usually as females grow in power gear-wise, they become less covered up and sparkly.

GW2 is not the worst offender. Matter of fact, I think it offers enough variety to please most people.

However, if it's too annoying, I recommend that you play a medium armor class. The female medium armors I've encountered looked just great and were not "trashy" for lack of a better term. If you play a heavy or light armor class, you might be harder pressed. The good thing is that you will reach a threshold of how much protection heavy, medium or light armors provide so you're free at max level to mix up armors and even transmute to create looks you like.

• xposeidonxposeidon Member Posts: 384
    Originally posted by GTwander

Originally posted by xposeidon

~and I fail to see the problem.

When did our in-game characters take on the mental personification of a hypothetical teenage daughter you want to preserve the modesty of?

Men play as women in-game because of libido. If you are going to get all sexually repressed about it, play as men.

Fail reading comprehension? I was addressing the obvious difference in both games, not the repression of players. I enjoy playing female characters as well.

Remember... all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.