Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes: Brad McQuaid Interview

Comments

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    I like the f2p models but the restrictions for f2p is down right rude. I'm between MMOs right now and I was going see if vanguard could be a new home but not now.
  • SicomSicom Member Posts: 7

So he's off rehab then?

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    I like the f2p models but the restrictions for f2p is down right rude. I'm between MMOs right now and I was going see if vanguard could be a new home but not now.

Yap, the restrictions is crazy, hopefully they will change it soon...

RIP Orc Choppa

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581
    Originally posted by Sicom

So he's off rehab then?

For now...

RIP Orc Choppa

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824
    Originally posted by arctarus

it's not a f2p model, it's "freemium" (which is a really dumb sounding term)

freemium models are glorified demos that are designed to constantly tease you to unlock the real game with money

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Agricola1

He was given an inactive post at SOE and now he's back, bringing some sex, drugs and crappy code back to Vanguard!

Please keep him away from Planetside 2!

Made me chuckle :)

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Originally posted by nuttob

This post will probably bring on another long list of "I hate SOE's FTP model" rants, but I for one can't wait to get back into this game!  It should be a lot of fun! 

YOu mean by subbing right or you won't be able to use those items he talks about.  If you don't think increasing loot drops is to get people away from the free to play model and into subs then I can't help that :)

The F2P model works well for that purpose but not as a viable alternative to the current pay to play version which is already failing or has failed.  It won't help the game and adding items that F2P users can't use won't either.  Just my thoughts on the article.  The problem has been numbers.  You could do a nice F2P model that would have people spending more than $15 a month on cosmetics. . XP boosts etc. . but if they can't use the gear they find they are not likely to sub if they have not already.

If the game was newer sure.   Maybe people would get into it.  You can't put an 80 yaer old in a strip club hoping people will hang around and buy drinks.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Originally posted by Asamof

freemium models are glorified demos that are designed to constantly tease you to unlock the real game with money

I agree that it is for sure what they are trying to do. . but that is not what they are calling it.

"One of the things we're working on to get ready for the free-to-play (FTP) launch is a re-itemization of the majority of regions in the game."

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

Why anyone supports the F2P model is beyond me.  Unless you can accept not being competitive, the F2P model is not for you.  In the end the F2P costs more than a monthly sub - that's the whole point of it.  Making you pay to win...

Folks can roll their eyes all they want, but if you want to be in the upper crust of the game you are F2P'ing in, you had better believe you will need your credit card, just like in a facebook game.  Anyone who denies this is either working for the company that is making the F2P choice, any company that has done this, or just plain doesn't get it because they so desperately enjoy playing something that introduces them to the game without actually getting to truly be a part of it.

If THAT ^^ doesn't make sense, then ask yourself this:  Why in God's name would a corporation (i.e., mmorpg) choose F2P if it didn't potentially bring in more money - and a lot more money.  They weigh out the difference of how many subs vs how much free 2 play money they can get and they realize that every mmorpg has a % of folks that are willing to pay ridiculous amounts to stay at the top, like those folks that spend hundreds on in game gold. 

Think about it folks.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

Just to correct one of the previous posters who thought Age of Conan had the worst launch so far, followed closely by Vanguard.  I'm afraid that Anarchy Online still holds the title for worst MMO launch ever and while AoC had a shaky launch, Vanguard's was worse.  It took Funcom two miserable MMO launches to finally learn their lessons and get it mostly right with The Secret World.

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824
    Originally posted by Aethaeryn

I agree that it is for sure what they are trying to do. . but that is not what they are calling it.

"One of the things we're working on to get ready for the free-to-play (FTP) launch is a re-itemization of the majority of regions in the game."

I commented on this earlier and my post was either deleted or lost into the void...weird

but I agree. I wish these devs would at least be a little more upfront with what you're getting

• dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 488
    Originally posted by Comaf

Why anyone supports the F2P model is beyond me.  Unless you can accept not being competitive, the F2P model is not for you.  In the end the F2P costs more than a monthly sub - that's the whole point of it.  Making you pay to win...

Folks can roll their eyes all they want, but if you want to be in the upper crust of the game you are F2P'ing in, you had better believe you will need your credit card, just like in a facebook game.  Anyone who denies this is either working for the company that is making the F2P choice, any company that has done this, or just plain doesn't get it because they so desperately enjoy playing something that introduces them to the game without actually getting to truly be a part of it.

If THAT ^^ doesn't make sense, then ask yourself this:  Why in God's name would a corporation (i.e., mmorpg) choose F2P if it didn't potentially bring in more money - and a lot more money.  They weigh out the difference of how many subs vs how much free 2 play money they can get and they realize that every mmorpg has a % of folks that are willing to pay ridiculous amounts to stay at the top, like those folks that spend hundreds on in game gold. 

Think about it folks.

That wasn't weighted at all ;s

• AfterlifeAfterlife Member UncommonPosts: 256

Brad McHack is back to kick the corpse he left behind? Kind of twisted, ain't it?

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701
    Originally posted by Sovrath

In any case, reinstalling now. All I have to do is balance Vanguard, Tera, TSW, Skyrim and Morrowind.

And have a life.

I'll buy the guide if you figure it out :)

Edit***

Brad is the only reason I would ever consider VG again. This is great news.

• cougmerrikcougmerrik Member Posts: 15

Free to play is great for casual players and lowers the barrier for entry.  Why would anyone spend $15 a month on a game they log into a few times a month?  Any MMO with F2P has a leg up on return customers because its so easy to start playing, or start playing again.  

There's a whole class of gamer who *never makes it to max level* in an MMO, and F2P is terrific for them.  I played EQ2 to max level on F2P - it was great.  If you're going to dedicate a lot of time to a game and get to max level, you should just assume you're probably going to pay for extras, amenities, features, etc. because you obviously have a high level of interest in the game.

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898
    Originally posted by Vorthanion

Just to correct one of the previous posters who thought Age of Conan had the worst launch so far, followed closely by Vanguard.  I'm afraid that Anarchy Online still holds the title for worst MMO launch ever and while AoC had a shaky launch, Vanguard's was worse.  It took Funcom two miserable MMO launches to finally learn their lessons and get it mostly right with The Secret World.

I'd say AoC's launch was much worse, because they launched with almost none of their advertised features working. Vanguard was buggy, but playable. Age of Conan was both buggy, and had no content.

Anyway, this is the best MMORPG news I've heard in... well, the best news since the genre sank because of WoW.

• hundejahrehundejahre Member Posts: 339

Ah, good old Brad McQuaid... maybe the only person in gaming I've ever wanted to punch in the head.

• hundejahrehundejahre Member Posts: 339

Originally posted by Afterlife
    Brad McHack is back to kick the corpse he left behind? Kind of twisted, ain't it?

It's like the MMO Dev version of moving back in with your parents after you finish college, or in Brad's case junior college.

Originally posted by hundejahre

Ah, good old Brad McQuaid... maybe the only person in gaming I've ever wanted to punch in the head.

For essentially inventing the genre, and being the only one to attempt to make a AAA MMORPG with any soul or innovation in it?

Well, one of the big 4 to invent the genre anyway.

• sylentnytesylentnyte Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Originally posted by Garvon3

For essentially inventing the genre, and being the only one to attempt to make a AAA MMORPG with any soul or innovation in it?

I'm curous why you say that also. Brad has created the 2 most engrossing worlds in the mmo genre

Originally posted by sylentnyte

I'm curous why you say that also. Brad has created the 2 most engrossing worlds in the mmo genre

I'm curious too.

He's up there with Richard Garriot, Raph Kosner, and the guys who made DAoC.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

I commented on this earlier and my post was either deleted or lost into the void...weird

but I agree. I wish these devs would at least be a little more upfront with what you're getting

While I dislike most of the restrictions and prefer Aion's model, they are being very upfront about it.  Otherwise we wouldn't really be having this conversation.

Originally posted by niceguy3978

While I dislike most of the restrictions and prefer Aion's model, they are being very upfront about it.  Otherwise we wouldn't really be having this conversation.

I don't understand... do you honestly think they'd just let you play a multi million dollar MMO without restrictions?

• finnmacool1finnmacool1 Member Posts: 453
    Originally posted by niceguy3978

I don't understand... do you honestly think they'd just let you play a multi million dollar MMO without restrictions?

You do realize there are other ftp games that have little to no restrictions that profit simply from fluff/cosmetic items from the cash shop right? As far as this being a muti million dollar mmo,that fact isnt validated through sub numbers.

If your objective is a short term increase in profits,sure this will work. Im sure there are some among the 300 or so vg subs that would spend more money in the cash shop in addition to the monthly sub. If however you are looking to bring more subs in and actually <gasp> grow beyond the hundreds into the thousands or tens of thousands,this wont do it.

If your objective is the status quo with no new content,no new subs,no new features,no new devolpment,but more money for $oe than by all means support this matrix. Trying to use the same basic restricted matrix as eq1/eq2 wont work. Both those games were already successfull to some degree and had constant updates,polish, and development without the burden of a terrible reputation. Vanguard has a negative image to overcome and a population that cant support itself longterm in addition to performance and bug issues.

• tachgbtachgb Member UncommonPosts: 791

Noticed there's been 2 updates to the game every month since March, I like this. I'm very much up for this, be nice to see players coming back.