Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Holy smokes check out these reviews.

Comments

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991
    Originally posted by MattVid

I can't take review sites seriously anymore.

The fact is, I play the game and see if I like it. If I don't, I don't buy it. If I do, I buy it. I am done being spoonfed all the BS from media, especially since they never know what they are talking about anyways.

Games go from "glowing reviews" to "desert wasteland" in a month, they need to hire some people that actually know what they are talking about with gaming. Most flaws are easily spotted in just a few hours of play. A day one review of an MMO is just completely pointless, unless it was very negative.

Agreed.

Case in point:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/star-wars-the-old-republic/critic-reviews

And really, given that these game sites depend on the ad revenue from the games that they are reviewing, how unbiased can those reviews be? When was the last time you saw a negative or highly critical initial review?

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• GargolaGargola Member Posts: 356

I just found hilarious that one of the reviows with a zero rating for the game has only priase and possitive things to say...

Haven't read them all, nor plan to, but... probably people need to get instructions on rating works?   I can imaging you can have the invers, bad review with a high rating?

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by bcbullshit

http://thesecretworld.com/news/first_press_reviews_and_ratings

Kinda scary to me. Reviews like this bring in a different crowd. I hope FC sticks to their guns. 

Is this as good a rating as SWTOR had after a week?....kinda scary to me also next thing ya know shit on a stick will get a 97% rating (well in this case it has )

• Zlayer77Zlayer77 Member Posts: 826
    Originally posted by bcbully

http://thesecretworld.com/news/first_press_reviews_and_ratings

Kinda scary to me. Reviews like this bring in a different crowd. I hope FC sticks to their guns. 

Don't worry many of us will never touch an FC product again.. even if its the second comming in the MMO industry.  Plus the Very high Hardware requirements to even run this game will keep most away...

On a side note the game hasent gotten trashed, and its build on some solid ideas, so it might be fun to play.  I will not play it because of past experinces with funcom, that doesn't mean its a bad game just that I wont play it even if its fun... Thats my personal choise...

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788

That person was probably trying to ballance the 10's I've seen some giving it. It's a good game but it's not perfection which is the only thing you can give a 10.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Better to have these reviews than ones of failure. The mmo genre can't afford to keep being horrible. About time Funcom came through.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• tarestares Member Posts: 381
    Originally posted by Derpybird

The fact is, I play the game and see if I like it. If I don't, I don't buy it. If I do, I buy it. I am done being spoonfed all the BS from media, especially since they never know what they are talking about anyways.

Games go from "glowing reviews" to "desert wasteland" in a month, they need to hire some people that actually know what they are talking about with gaming. Most flaws are easily spotted in just a few hours of play. A day one review of an MMO is just completely pointless, unless it was very negative.

Agreed.

Case in point:

And really, given that these game sites depend on the ad revenue from the games that they are reviewing, how unbiased can those reviews be? When was the last time you saw a negative or highly critical initial review?

Meta critic has the meta score of 72 and a couple of those reviews put the game on blast.  What does TSW do that SWTOR didn't do? TSW has a few investigate quest and puzzles while SWTOR has morality or at least multiple choices for every quest. The thing many people raged over in SWTOR is a lack of endgame, TSW has the same issue.

What worries me is that over 100 user reviews went up within 24 hours all scoring it a (10) on many different websites.  It shows how easy it would be for a guild, company, employees, or anything to skew the user rating systems. So how do we choose what games to play now, play all 1000 games that come out each year?

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

I like that the reviews are positive! Take every new release with a grain of salt. Tabula Rasa was an inspirational new mmorpg that broke away from the norm of fantasy as well. I'm not comparing the two of them, but you know what happen to TR? 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• Zlayer77Zlayer77 Member Posts: 826
    Originally posted by Amjoco

I like that the reviews are positive! Take every new release with a grain of salt. Tabula Rasa was an inspirational new mmorpg that broke away from the norm of fantasy as well. I'm not comparing the two of them, but you know what happen to TR? 

I know what happend, think Funcom wont go down like that. Even with all there flaws there is one thing they always do "suport the games they make as long as possible". So I think people can rest assured that the secreat world will be around for a few years...

• kaguhoOkaguhoO Member Posts: 84

this game is really good didnt expect that one coming

its a fresh air to the mmo genre along gw2

epic skill system

awesome lore

incredible atmosphere...ofc they r some cons like character creation wich is horrible (aion remains the best to date) and animation combats..they need to fix those asap.

but everything else is pure awesomness

• kaguhoOkaguhoO Member Posts: 84
    Originally posted by Sebber

This is so bias, if you look at some of the review's they don't even give scores yet.... The scores is just made up by Funcom.

yep and gamespot is one of them

waiting their reviews since its the best video game site in the world like it or not

• kanezfankanezfan Member UncommonPosts: 482

Originally posted by Baddogbill
    Originally posted by bcbullshit http://thesecretworld.com/news/first_press_reviews_and_ratings   Kinda scary to me. Reviews like this bring in a different crowd. I hope FC sticks to their guns. 
    Is this as good a rating as SWTOR had after a week?....kinda scary to me also next thing ya know shit on a stick will get a 97% rating (well in this case it has )

SWTOR got game of the year only like a week after release. Goes to show that these reviews are all a bunch of crap.

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

TSW is so underrated in those reviews

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018
    Originally posted by Arawulf

I wholly believe that an MMO should never be rated until after a full month of play.

That's rather ignorant of you, since the press have had access to the closed beta for over a month.

• TheNitewolfTheNitewolf Member Posts: 102
    Originally posted by Skuz

I wholly believe that an MMO should never be rated until after a full month of play.

That's rather ignorant of you, since the press have had access to the closed beta for over a month.

And there's never any change between a CB product and the released one of course.

My Signature

• CantorageCantorage Member Posts: 186
    Originally posted by tares
    Originally posted by Derpybird

Agreed.

Case in point:

Meta critic has the meta score of 72 and a couple of those reviews put the game on blast.  What does TSW do that SWTOR didn't do? TSW has a few investigate quest and puzzles while SWTOR has morality or at least multiple choices for every quest. The thing many people raged over in SWTOR is a lack of endgame, TSW has the same issue.

What worries me is that over 100 user reviews went up within 24 hours all scoring it a (10) on many different websites.  It shows how easy it would be for a guild, company, employees, or anything to skew the user rating systems. So how do we choose what games to play now, play all 1000 games that come out each year?

TSW does NOT have a lack of endgame. It's preobably the themepark in recent years with most to do at endgame.

• BereKinBereKin Member Posts: 287

You are absolutely right about that.

• WhyspreWhyspre Member UncommonPosts: 64
    Originally posted by Niimarr

You are absolutely right about that.

that doesn't sell banner ad crap.... the game is a blast - nice graphics [yes, the characters could use some work] good combat [yes, the animations could use some work], excellent, engrossing puzzles [just some investigative quests... please... when was the last time you HAD to listen to the quest giver? or use your eyes? or use your mind?] It actually feels like there is TSW and then the old stuff... you know, the WoW type games... kill ten pigs... be sure and bring a healer, tank and dps for that... BUT sites make ad $$$$ based on their traffic and if they all bite the hand that feeds them by annointing TSW as the new model... so we get trolls... kill me ten trolls... now there's a quest.

Is it the game for EVERYBODY? Probably not, there will always be a market for twitch fest, old games... kind of a nostalgia thing... remember when we were at band camp and we were playing Wow? My kids at band camp this summer and she's playing Wow too...:).... ah fun.

No farmers, no bots, no serious grind... closest is that pain in the ass Norma Creed with all her frickin zombies... goal oriented, ADULT game... that's the thing... this is not a game for end-game grinders... the value is the journey not the destination, btw... you don't wear armor .. so that's not a big deal, a little bit of weapon usage leveling... but it's all about the skills- that's it... it's all about YOU Bunkie... no +5 Magical Sword of Omigawd is gonna save you if you don't know how to use it... but here at least, if you've spent a point on knowing what end of it to hold, you can use.

Yes, people are gonna screw up builds [yawn... take an hour and rebuild] the skill wheel rewards some effort... take it or don't, is no try.... yes, some of the quests are bugged... gee at launch? under load? wow! what a cluster that is...

I've been playing since April [when I started playing, we had to walk to a quest, UPHILL - both ways! in a blizzard <,<, with wild dogs trying to eat us.... no wait, that WAS the quest]

Point is, it's different, in a lot of different ways and if you come at it with preconceptions, you will likely be disappointed. Case in point, The Boogie Man... yes. you have to get it on with THE Boogie Man....

My main was wavering between tanky-dps and dps-y tank... until that fight and scraping myself off the wall after TBM wasted me for the 8th time... now, she's pure DPS and getting DPSer more each day.... and as a pure fighting machine, I was able to take TBM down... then my little wife had her shot at him...

She was running a pure heals build and got taken out 4 times... I helped her set up her skills a bit different [added some blood magic offence and dropped some "other people" heals....

Well, it took 15 minutes [yes, it really did] and she kited him from here to there and back... but she took him out... big deal, I hear you say, so what, I hear you say... well I watched the fight... the boss fought her DIFFERENTLY than me... reactive AI is very nice I say... adapts to what you're doing, I say... forces you to change what you do on the fly.... fastest way to die in a boss fight is to stand toe to toe.... bosses in TSW do nasty unexpected things.... very nasty and when you least expect....

So there we are... and we haven't even talked about the pvp...

Graphics: 9.5/10 - characters could use some work, not a game breaker but... and some animations could use some work, same thing

Sound: 9.5/10 - creepy fricking stuff, Montague...very immersive and spot on for the mood and place - in battle sounds could use some work

Replay: 8.6/10 - don't think this really applies... compared to other games which encourage you to create an alt-army... the base game gives you three slots... hmmm, there are three factions... coincidence? But ...

Gameplay: 9.7/10 - not a lot of buggy quests - BUT... when the name of the game is solve the riddle, any bugs look worse.

Overall: 9.56 / 10 - course, that's MY opinion and your mileage may vary... it's not Wow, L2, Aion, LotRO, Rift, Tera, DD or GW... it's The Secret World... ;-)

image   See ya in the funny papers....

Sylentz

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

In the current state the game is a 6.5/10 at max because of these issues:

1. Combat is still not refined and reuses 90% of the animations and sounds for the skills. It's just feels unfinished and raw.

2. Engine is not optimized and has many memory leaks, a very unique "play for a while - get lowres textures" bug and the all visible shadow popping issues.

3. Bugs increasing the further you progress:

• Kingsmouth: No bugs, smooth and polished, Poseidon Dungeon bug free (see AOC starter island).
    • Savage Coast: very few Quest bugs, Inferno Dungeons has bugs, some of which make you loose the loot.
    • Blue Mountain: More Bugs, More Problems... this continues as you progress and the game becomes more and mroe frustrating. 
    4. ZERO replay value. Once you done it with one character you seen it all. Sad, but a typica problem these days.

5. Retail + Subscription + Shop. Makes the transition to F2P easier in the future but is asking a lot from early players.

Part from that the game is a real joy to play. I am surprised that Funcomo pulled this off. If they can refine the game and the later Maps/Levels they sure got a winner here.

Estimated Subscription time: 3 - 4 Months
    Life Expectancy: 4 Years
    Free to Play transition: Winter 2013

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059
    Originally posted by taus01

In the current state the game is a 6.5/10 at max because of these issues:

1. Combat is still not refined and reuses 90% of the animations and sounds for the skills. It's just feels unfinished and raw.

2. Engine is not optimized and has many memory leaks, a very unique "play for a while - get lowres textures" bug and the all visible shadow popping issues.

3. Bugs increasing the further you progress:

• Kingsmouth: No bugs, smooth and polished, Poseidon Dungeon bug free (see AOC starter island).
    • Savage Coast: very few Quest bugs, Inferno Dungeons has bugs, some of which make you loose the loot.
    • Blue Mountain: More Bugs, More Problems... this continues as you progress and the game becomes more and mroe frustrating. 
    4. ZERO replay value. Once you done it with one character you seen it all. Sad, but a typica problem these days.

5. Retail + Subscription + Shop. Makes the transition to F2P easier in the future but is asking a lot from early players.

Part from that the game is a real joy to play. I am surprised that Funcomo pulled this off. If they can refine the game and the later Maps/Levels they sure got a winner here.

Estimated Subscription time: 3 - 4 Months
    Life Expectancy: 4 Years
    Free to Play transition: Winter 2013

1.  I think the combat is just fundamentally bad.  It really should have been designed better than it is.  Making every build use resource builders and consumers was a big part of the problem, but there are quite a few other things wrong with it.  This seems to be the biggest turnoff to people.  Playing through all the way to Translyvania and Rank 13 in my faction I can say the combat doesn't really get much better.  I'm still spamming my resource builder and one consumer the majority of the time with the occasional use of a longer cooldown skill.  The game does make really good use of the combat system it has though with really active boss fights that require you to be situationally aware.

2.  The engine works pretty well if you disable DirectX 11.  There is a memory leak, but it only becomes a problem for me after 10+ hours of play.  As long as DirectX 9 (and the in game web browser which crashes the game a lot) is enabled over DX11 performance is decent enough, at least for me.  Enabling DirectX 11 caused my beefy system to crash every hour or so and sometimes other issues such as frame rate drops in certain areas.  There are few graphical glitches too that occur in both DX9 and DX11, for example getting tased and dying will cause your screen to go entirely black forcing you to use reloadui and another one that causes all colors to become washed out forcing you to reboot the game.

3.  I noticed a bit of the opposite.  The first two areas Kingsmouth and Savage Coast have many bugged quests (one of which was fixed in a patch).  Blue Mountain has two.  Egypt only has one bugged quest per zone.  Have had one pop up in the first zone of Translyvania so far too which is almost complete for us.  Haven't noticed any bugs in the instances aside from if someone loots while someone is watching a cutscene they lose the opportunity to loot.  The game is VERY buggy though, that's for sure and a lot of missions could have used a better QA pass (poor multiplayer functionality, poor respawn rates, some missions don't always update properly, etc.).

4.  I agree it probably lacks replay value.  It has a decent enough amount of content (hardcore play can finish up the solo/leveling parts in a week or two, the elite dungeons in another day, no clue on the lair content, I think your estimate of 3-4 months is a decent amount of time for a semi-hardcore player at 2-3 hours a day) moreso than say Rift released with, but Guild Wars 2 will certainly trump it in replay value with more leveling zones (and content in general), WvWvW, and dynamic events.  Yes, it has PvP for replay value I suppose.  Though there might not be much replay value with the current content it's hard to say how often and what kind of future content we'll see out of Funcom.  I'm a bit skeptical considering their rate of releasing new content in Age of Conan wasn't very good and missions and dungeons are far more complicated than Age of Conan ever was.

5.  It's definitely a big turn off to players.  I really wonder if the amount of money they are making from the shop really is more profitable than the loss of subscribers they probably got for having it in the first place.  I'd imagine this game would be really popular (no idea how profitable) if they did away with the sub model entirely.

Overall I'm enjoying the game despite it's issues.  I really love the investigation missions (when they work).  The dungeons are a lot of fun.  The game has fantastic atmosphere.  It's a "deep" game in terms of what content is given to you.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

MMOs almost always get glowing reviews from gaming sites... just look at warhammer online and SWTOR initial reviews...

^^This^^

It's only after the shiny has worn off a game do we get some real unbiased opinions of the good and bad of an mmo.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• CorthalaCorthala Member UncommonPosts: 283

+1

I am loving the game but I also used to love SWTOR

"you are like the world revenge on sarcasm, you know that?"

One of those great lines from The Secret World

• koalakkoalak Member Posts: 75

the reviews are not biased, however since these are links from their own site, obviously they will post the good reviews only :)

bearing that in mind, I still think this game is very cool and deserves those reviews

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498

Reserving judgement but...  Game reviewers need to eat too?

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

Most movie critics don't say every movie is great

Most food ciritcs don't say every restaurant is awesome either

Most gaming sites do say that just about every new release is a great game though

ITs hard to find any at all that come right out and say that a game is crap from the get go