Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes: Brad McQuaid Interview

Comments

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113

Pay close attention everyone, this is how you kill something twice.

• mithossmithoss Member UncommonPosts: 225
    Originally posted by Darth-Batman

so... is vanguard the first zombie? but then again i hope for a human-zombie apocalypse, not a pc-software one.

• tkobotkobo Member Posts: 465

But, but, but, didnt this incompetent dev cost tons of poor poor poor game devs their jobs (that they didnt deserve to begin with) .... ?

Wasnt that the gist of the last pity party post by this site when one of the other incompetent devs recently failed miserably like this clown did at his job ,for the last trainwreck ?So now he's back , like bad fish and  pc game devs,and alls forgiven.He'll be praised to the rafters by this site.again.

Its like watching someone enable an abused wife to constantly welcome the abusing husband back.And the customer base is the couples kids,constantly screwed over by both the wife and the abuser.

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

SOE's abilities to screw up things even more, is simply amazing.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

They should have let Brad finish the job, but EA wanted him to make the greatest MMO ever for only $20M, and then SOE took over for a few dimes just to kill the project and not to loose any subscribers on EQ2.

When Brad left Vanguard, it was only a half finished game. 

its a shame it never got finished.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581
    Really hope he never step into any mmo ever again, crap that he's back.

Maybe soe just wana transfer all the hate to him and blame him when f2p doesn't achieve the result they want.

And axe him again.

Brad , pls be gone, you and those other around your generation shldnt touch any more mmo...

Shoo .... shooooo.....

RIP Orc Choppa

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

The worst thing that could possibly happen to Vanguard.

His mismanagement, ego and painkiller addiction are what doomed VG from the very start.

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

They should have let Brad finish the job, but EA wanted him to make the greatest MMO ever for only $20M, and then SOE took over for a few dimes just to kill the project and not to loose any subscribers on EQ2.

EA ?  Talk about pulling facts out of your ass I think you mean Sigil Games who had a publishing deal with Microsoft,   Microsoft got tired of the constant delays and rumour has having to deal with Butler and McQuaid and their respective ego's.

Many employees have stated both where an extrmeemly disruptive influence on the other staff and that McQuaid in particular had little to do with it and what little he did do caused a lot of conflict.  1 employee even accused him of theft of prescription meds to fuel a well documented addiciton at that point in time.  He should have been off the project from the very early stages but his name still carried weight so I think people where scared to get rid.

• ShadowzanonShadowzanon Member UncommonPosts: 350

Seriously!!!!!!!

• ShojuShoju Member UncommonPosts: 776
    Originally posted by Darth-Batman

Take a look at Vanguard's population.  You cannot kill that which is already dead.

• KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576
    Originally posted by tkobo

But, but, but, didnt this incompetent dev cost tons of poor poor poor game devs their jobs (that they didnt deserve to begin with) .... ? 

Wasnt that the gist of the last pity party post by this site when one of the other incompetent devs recently failed miserably like this clown did at his job ,for the last trainwreck ?So now he's back , like bad fish and  pc game devs,and alls forgiven.He'll be praised to the rafters by this site.again. 

Its like watching someone enable an abused wife to constantly welcome the abusing husband back.And the customer base is the couples kids,constantly screwed over by both the wife and the abuser.

So long as they dont allow him anywhere near a management position, or put him in charge of anything or anyone. Basicially, let him sit in a corner with some crayons and occasionally check to see if he has come up with anything interesting.

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

I can't believe they hired this f***ing idiot back.  

I mean, he managed the impossible - to make a game so bad that selling it to SOE actually improved it.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Originally posted by PyrateLV

Remember: If a meeting in the parking lot is called, Do Not Go!

Made me LMAO...I remember that from days of old, but I'm all for giving everyone a second chance before pulling the plug on anyone or thing.

Bandit

Asbo

• DreamionDreamion Member UncommonPosts: 287

I'm going to give a chance, hopefully the model will change.

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583
    Originally posted by thamighty213
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

EA ?  Talk about pulling facts out of your ass I think you mean Sigil Games who had a publishing deal with Microsoft,   Microsoft got tired of the constant delays and rumour has having to deal with Butler and McQuaid and their respective ego's.

Many employees have stated both where an extrmeemly disruptive influence on the other staff and that McQuaid in particular had little to do with it and what little he did do caused a lot of conflict.  1 employee even accused him of theft of prescription meds to fuel a well documented addiciton at that point in time.  He should have been off the project from the very early stages but his name still carried weight so I think people where scared to get rid.

Actually, Microsoft didn't just get tired of delays and such. They pulled out after discovering that a demo they were presented, which was supposed to show the (at that time) current stage of development, was false. Sigil ran a scam, and was caught.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Brad as leader=bad.

Brad as a idea person, should be good.

People often make the mistake of putting people in charge of things that have no business being in charge of things, an idea/vision person doesn't usually make the best boss....He isn't the boss, so he will be handled/managed.

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005

F2P will surely revive Vanguard, and it is a good move, it will actually bring in some investment that can be used to improve the game, I for enjoyed VG for its massive implementation, it did lack a lot of features but that is a different matter, I am sure Brad McQuaid did go out to make a bad game or featureless they probably ran out of money and other factors really did impact the game negavitely. At the end of the day it wasnt worth the sub price for me, F2P is the way to go for this.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by Aeolron
    It's nice to see brad back with soe good things could happen with vanguard now.

Brad was with Vangaurd for several years and look what he made of it on release. Sigil did have some good idea men (if poor programmers) but Brad pink slipped them all while he cut a chushy consultant deal with SOE, wheres he gonna get his vision from now?

• ShojuShoju Member UncommonPosts: 776
    Originally posted by winter
    wheres he gonna get his vision from now?

Peyote?

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

funny how he mentions the re-itemization for the freemium launch, and yet with SOE's model free players will never see the majority of those items (free players can only equip common items lmao)

• Flaming_MMOFlaming_MMO Member Posts: 137

Any word yet on if there will be item unlockers like there are in Everquest 2? 

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824
    Originally posted by Xthos

Brad as leader=bad.

Brad as a idea person, should be good.

People often make the mistake of putting people in charge of things that have no business being in charge of things, an idea/vision person doesn't usually make the best boss....He isn't the boss, so he will be handled/managed.

idea people are worthless, everyone is an "idea person". game design ideas always look great on paper, but usually falls apart in execution. it's the designers who thoroughly and efficiently test their ideas to see if they actually work or not that really make somebody a great game designer or not. brad was cute when he was trying to get everyone hyped about bringing back the old school immersive mmo, but he let everyone down when he made a mediocre product, sold his game to SOE and went into hiding.

also if I remember right, SOE has been very slowly undoing the hardcore design, so at this point it's probably going to be another dime a dozen wow clone.

• gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    It's nice to see brad back with soe good things could happen with vanguard now.

this has got to be the funniest thing i've read on MMORPG - ever

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Brad was a bad manager but his ideas were sound.

Vanguard is the only MMO that comes closest to what I thought mmo's were going to be.

At least from the mmo's I've played.

In any case, reinstalling now. All I have to do is balance Vanguard, Tera, TSW, Skyrim and Morrowind.

And have a life.

sigh.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

Brad is back because he has served his 5 years of not being allowed to own a business, after Sigil went tits up. He was given an inactive post at SOE and now he's back, bringing some sex, drugs and crappy code back to Vanguard!

Please keep him away from Planetside 2!

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis