Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanguard Free-to-play details at Massively

2»

Comments

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

What on earth is wrong with you all?

No restrictions on quests, zones, levels. That's F2P.

Everyone's been praising Lotro F2P Model. Lotro has 3 bags limit, 1 gold limit, no mounts, 80% of quests are locked away, 90% of skirmishes and dungeons are locked, you can't fast travel, you can't send PMs, etc.

Gold limit and no better than green (common) items may be removable for a few $, just like in Lotro, stop exaggarating. I actually expected restrictions for f2p on zones and quests. But there are none, unlike Lotro.

REALITY CHECK

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

Terrible free to play model

mind boggleing 

i have given 150 dollars worth of subs to SOE through vangaurd.......was looking forward to free to play.....but now i will just move on.

And to all the people saying that there are worse f2p models out there. I beg to differ. You cant BUY access to all the different rarities of armor therefore they are forcing you to sub if you want to get anyhting better then greens.

At least in LORTO i can buy the content i want and not have to sub and be happy.

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622

I'm actually angry about this, and I never give a shit about these games. I've been waiting and hoping for Vangurd to get the love it deserves. But this FTP model just blows me away.

• What items can Free players equip?

Free players can equip items that are designated as common. Gold members can equip items with any rarity designation.

• Free players have character coin limitations. What happens to the coin I earn once I reach that limit?

Once a Free player reaches the currency cap they can no longer earn coin until they have spent enough to go below

the limit. Once they do they will start to earn currency again as normal.

Why the fuck would people even consider playing this game with those restrictions? SONY had one shot to get this right, to entice people to come play this game and they blew it so bad it looks like 5 year olds are running the show over there. I mean are these people fuckin stupid? Its a glorified trial account, not a new way to play and enjoy the game. They must think we're dumb as horse shit. Goodbye Vanguard it could have been wonderful...

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

I can't stand this type of F2P same like EQ2.

Ffs can't they just make F2P like Aion? 

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• EverketEverket Member UncommonPosts: 244

I'm a little disappointed as well. But mostly due to the sub fee still being 15 dollars. 

What do people really expect? You can do mostly everything, go explore and have a huge class selection available for free. What more do we expect to get for free? Everything? How are they gonna make money? While I do agree on some points, the exaggeration in this thread is astonishing. It's like 90% of you expect everything in the game to be free. How would a company survive that way?

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,013
    Originally posted by Everket

I'm a little disappointed as well. But mostly due to the sub fee still being 15 dollars. 

What do people really expect? You can do mostly everything, go explore and have a huge class selection available for free. What more do we expect to get for free? Everything? How are they gonna make money? While I do agree on some points, the exaggeration in this thread is astonishing. It's like 90% of you expect everything in the game to be free. How would a company survive that way?

They wouldn't.

Besides, this might not be the best f2p version but it looks like one can spend a few dollars, lift the restrictions and then play beyond that. I think that's fair.

Heck, even LOTRO has a gold restriction as well as inventory restriction and I believe it has an AH restriction along with a few others. Of course, one can earn Turbine Points to spend toward lifting those restrictions.

Having said that, I think it's unfair to have a minority of players spend money to support a majority of players who don't want to spend a dime.

f2p games are always about making money. It's just that they use different incentives to make that money.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Castekin1000Castekin1000 Member Posts: 36
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Besides, this might not be the best f2p version but it looks like one can spend a few dollars, lift the restrictions and then play beyond that. I think that's fair.

No you can not.  If you look at the matrix while races and classes are purchasable unlocks the gear is not.  The only way to upgrade from common gear is to subscribe.  You WILL NOT GET FAR in vanguard in common gear. This is not FTP.

I am not saying everything should be free but a game like vanguard which is on its long its last legs needs to be way more generous to bring in new players.

• ColumbiaTrueColumbiaTrue Member Posts: 47

This whole entire F2P option that SOE has created for Vanguard is a complete, total, and unambiguous failure. Paying players and F2P players cannot benefit from the restrictions/limitations that SOE has created. Disappointment does not quite capture my feelings.

SOE had, and I believe it still has, an opportunity  to generate greater enthusiasm for Vanguard. 

"The truth is EA lies." - Youtube User

Sim City. Everquest. Civilization. Dungeon Keeper. Vampire: The Masquerade. These are the games that I love and cherish.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by Thillian

Everyone's been praising Lotro F2P Model. Lotro has 3 bags limit, 1 gold limit, no mounts, 80% of quests are locked away, 90% of skirmishes and dungeons are locked, you can't fast travel, you can't send PMs, etc.

Gold limit and no better than green (common) items may be removable for a few $, just like in Lotro, stop exaggarating. I actually expected restrictions for f2p on zones and quests. But there are none, unlike Lotro.

No kidding at least I can do quests unlike LOTRO.  I saw I couldn't do quests past the starter areas and immediately quit. 

Although, I would have thought would be one of the most relaxed F2P restrictions due to the game being on life support.  They should just want people to play the game at all, with these restrictions it seems unlikely that they will hook many.  At least make the item restriction blue/uncommon...green is laughable.

I'll give it a shot but I can't see me playing with any groups of people with green gear on.  So I get to solo in green gear w00t, until I die of boredom yay!

• AndraviusAndravius Member UncommonPosts: 82

This matrix may change.  Didn't see anything chisled in stone.

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005
    Originally posted by SuperXero89

Normally this sort of thing doesn't bother me because I look at 90% of P2P conversions as extended free trials rather than something anyone could actually play for free long-term, but Vanguard is a game that could truly be great if it had the population to support it.  I suppose it was foolish to think SOE would implement a system not unlike what you'll find in Aion or Lineage II.

I can't really see this system increasing the playerbase whatsoever.  I think there will be a short spike in activity for the first couple of months after its conversion, and SOE will seem some cash shop revenue.  After that, I think the game will once again fall off the radar once everyone's curiosity goes away.

Yeah I am a bit surprised by SOE restrictions to be honest, I was looking forward for this game becoming F2P, I dont mind forking out some cash that may be equivalent or greater than a sub, once I have gone through the content and have actually decided it has become more enjoyable and know it's worth a few quid now.

While I hate P2W, I think that the only solution that works for a game that has gone F2P from a P2P is to rely on a cash shop only, instead of hoping that people are gonna play what is essentially a trial and subscribe to your old model. Lineage 2 is a good example of this ( not saying they did it perfectly which they didnt really there are severe flaws on their cash shop and the items they sell ) but you can actually play the full game for free without having to purchase anything, and that is the way to go. Things like you can only choose certain races and have 1 platinum in cash, or 15 quests tracking limit, are just things that are going to annoy the hell out of me, not only that but I wont purchase a race I may want to play just to try it out, and by the time I hit their stupid "trial" caps I wont be willing to reroll to play another race and will probably just quit if those things start to hinder my gameplay early on.

On a more concrete example I have a guild that has been playing MMOs together for around 10 years now, and it would be a possibility that we would all go and give Vanguard a go for a couple of months, which means that before the investment for a large number of people is made we would have to estabilish ourselves in the game and really experience the whole infrastructure, we can't even create a guild, chances are like you said we would play for a bit then start hitting caps ( not neccesarily level caps ) and not be able to actually re-create our community in game which means we will probably quit or not even give it a go.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Originally posted by Thillian

As others have suggested. . . to change most of the  big items in vanguard requires a sub rather than a purchase.  I realize this is somewhat of a necro after the new possible details were released but the basic argument remains the same. . on model is an extended trial . . the other is free to play with options to purchase items OR sub.  

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,013
    Originally posted by Castekin1000
    Originally posted by Sovrath

No you can not.  If you look at the matrix while races and classes are purchasable unlocks the gear is not.  The only way to upgrade from common gear is to subscribe.  You WILL NOT GET FAR in vanguard in common gear. This is not FTP.

I am not saying everything should be free but a game like vanguard which is on its long its last legs needs to be way more generous to bring in new players.

If you read the interview they indicated that one could spend money to unlock restrictions. True, they weren't specific about whcih restrictions but I would be very surprised if lifting gear restrictions wasn't one of the ways they got money.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo