Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Only one active main quest was a bad idea

kartanakartana Member UncommonPosts: 148

They implemented this system for one reason and one reason only. To make you run around and waste time. I can't count how often I ended up on the other side of the map just to run all the way back to complete the final step while passing countless other quests which I could have completed on the way back. I thought we were past this shit?!

And don't tell me they did this so you can concentrate more on the quests... it's the same old 'kill x' or 'fetch this' type 90% of the time.

Comments

• MundusMundus Member UncommonPosts: 237

The quests I did were much better than anything I've done before in any of the WoW ripp-offs. I prefer it the way it is with only one main quest, because it breaks that batch processing routine which ruins the fun for me.

• PoachinatorPoachinator Member UncommonPosts: 80
    Originally posted by kartana

They implemented this system for one reason and one reason only. To make you run around and waste time. I can't count how often I ended up on the other side of the map just to run all the way back to complete the final step while passing countless other quests which I could have completed on the way back. I thought we were past this shit?!

And don't tell me they did this so you can concentrate more on the quests... it's the same old 'kill x' or 'fetch this' type 90% of the time.

Sure it is. Keep telling yourself that. If its too hard go back to killing Quilboars and Kobolds.

• TerronteTerronte Member Posts: 321

It really annoyed me at first also. Once I got used to it, it's not so bad.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

Your right, it's a blatant time sink, but im afraid the fanboys will be here en-masse to debunk your claims.

Bottom line this is personal preference and the batch quest players can either learn to live with it or move along. Personally I don't like it either, it's patronising to assume you are happy to walk past an event only to come back later as if it was never there in the first place (some hero eh?). It feels to me like im on rails and am forcably blinkered to focus on the main quest, however the bigger problem for me is the quests are quite easy and a bit boring and rather unimginative which makes this focus unsatisfying.

As always there is potential here and the system as it is works for a lot of players and at times it does seem quite refreshinly new, but far too often it's stale and as you "advance" it becomes increasingly repetitive.

Im still on the fence, too early to be overly critical, give it a few months.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788

I agree with the op. I have been marking locations on my map where I find missions I can't grab because the log is full so I can easily find them again. Having to pause a mission than come back to it does not help keep it fresh in your mind and it is really just a time sink thing same as no waypoints walk for ever to get all the way across the map. They even made sure to put most of the dungeons on the opposite sides of the maps from the portals which I feel is really a pain. Running all the way across the map just to not find a group at the dungeon is a buzz kill. I'm already getting tired of it after 1 week so I can only imagine the long term wear this will cause players. 

• aeoleonaeoleon Member UncommonPosts: 75

I was kind of annoyed at this at first but then I noticed that I could have 3 side missions going at the same time.

(for the people that are actually playing the game you'll get this):

So, imagine you pick up the main story mission from the sheriff (like the one to get the cameras), on the way to get the cameras you you go towards the petrol station you have a side mission to pick up a package from the postal van, and still continue on your merry way to get the cameras and complete the postal quest. What you might not know is that once you complete that side mission, if you go back to the same postal van you get another package and another site to visit on the way to deliver the cameras to the sheriff.

I mean, I understand why you don't like to travel much and complete as many missions as you can and rush through the whole map doing everything in one go, but the missions are like that for a reason: not everyone plays the same way or picks up the same missions as you, making your missions runs slightly different everytime if you decide to go a different route.

In my opinion, I kind of like it this way, I only have two toons going and both times i took different routes to complete the missions and it made me enjoy repeating the content because I took a sligtly different approach at picking up the missions...but then again, that's just my opinion :)

o7 Aeo

01110110 01101001 01100011 01110100 01101111 01110010 01111001 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01101111 01110101 01110010 01110011 00100000 01100001 01101101 01101001 01100111 01101111 00100001

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

So, if they just added the "only-one-main-mission" as a time sink, why do they let you deliver quests via your cellphone?

The reason they have done it is to make you focus on one mission at a time and not just run between quest markers. In addition, some of the investigation quests would just end up being stupid, at least the steps where you are supposed to find locations. If more than one quest could be active at once, you would just discover these places randomly instead of actually investigating and using the clues to get you to the right place.

As mentioned above - just grab a few side missions while you are doing your main or story mission and you will be all right. There are side missions all over the place.

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Zomg a developer did something different, it must be bad bad bad bad /sarc off

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

Okay, first off when missions are completed you only very rarely ever need to return to the start-point, usually the quest is just "dialled in" for completion.

Secondly, the tools exist to add map markers, as you discover points of interest, quest markers etc, you can add these to the map to return to at a later date, this I strongly reccommend that you do as it will save you time, also helps should you wish to repeat things to add marker to map for the target location's of things that you found while questing.

If you don't like to "run around" stop questing altogether, camp a spot & just grind out mob-kills, problem solved.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Skuz

Okay, first off when missions are completed you only very rarely ever need to return to the start-point, usually the quest is just "dialled in" for completion.

Secondly, the tools exist to add map markers, as you discover points of interest, quest markers etc, you can add these to the map to return to at a later date, this I strongly reccommend that you do as it will save you time, also helps should you wish to repeat things to add marker to map for the target location's of things that you found while questing.

If you don't like to "run around" stop questing altogether, camp a spot & just grind out mob-kills, problem solved.

yea at first I was annoyed but since all quests don't require you to return to a quest giver to complete them and they set it up in away that once you finish one quest you almost always are near another it works out fine

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• AlanakoAlanako Member Posts: 188
    You dont need to go back to pick another mission. There is another near the place you finish the first. Pick it. Do it. You are going to finish that one near another. Repeat. Eventually you will be back at the first place. Pick the one you could not pick when you there.

You actually usually have to go back for the other quest that npc is offering, most of them have atleast two. If players want to focus on one quest at a time feel free but it is a limit that will annoy many people, maybe not at first but eventually it will. Last night playing and pretty much being done with the two areas of egypt I was up to I found myself doing a lot of wandering for quest I might have missed and it started to feel laborious.

• NavyJackalNavyJackal Member Posts: 82
    Originally posted by Wicoa

My, that's such an intelligent response /sarc off

Just because a developer does something new or different doesn't automatically mean that what they've done is good.   MMO's and video games in general are full of all sorts of things that are done 'differently' than others, but that doesn't mean they've improved the game by adding such a feature.  

If you like the quest system in TSW that's fine, but myself if I have a list of errands that include grocery shopping, picking up a parcel at the post office, and filling up the car with gas I don't drive past the post office to the grocery store, then drive home, then drive to the post office, then drive back home then drive to the gas station, I do it all in one trip.

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646
    Originally posted by DaezAster

You actually usually have to go back for the other quest that npc is offering, most of them have atleast two. If players want to focus on one quest at a time feel free but it is a limit that will annoy many people, maybe not at first but eventually it will. Last night playing and pretty much being done with the two areas of egypt I was up to I found myself doing a lot of wandering for quest I might have missed and it started to feel laborious.

And this is exactly why i love this game because except for main storyline, there is no linear questing hubs in TSW. You don't have to follow one quest giver to another.

Ths is explorers MMO, people like me who like to look into every nook and corner are having a blast.

Just today when i was about to move out of savage coast, i asked in general how many quests people have in finished log, some said 50 others said 45, i had total of 41 and so decided to explore even more carefully this time and see what i missed. Guess what? i found 9 more items quests spread over entire map.

This is part of design and not going anywhere. FC  wants you to explore.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

I have to wonder from your  post if you actually played the game more then just a few hours.

TSW has some of the best quests out in a long time certainbly not 90% kill x or fetch that as you state.

Secvond as many have pointed out to can have several quests goign at once just only 1 main, and almost none of the quests require you to return to the quests giver etc, and the quest completes you simply phone it in. Darn there goes your "its all a time sink arguement"

TSW is not for everyone, you don't like it ok, better luck in your next game.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by NavyJackal
    Originally posted by Wicoa

My, that's such an intelligent response /sarc off

Just because a developer does something new or different doesn't automatically mean that what they've done is good.   MMO's and video games in general are full of all sorts of things that are done 'differently' than others, but that doesn't mean they've improved the game by adding such a feature.  

If you like the quest system in TSW that's fine, but myself if I have a list of errands that include grocery shopping, picking up a parcel at the post office, and filling up the car with gas I don't drive past the post office to the grocery store, then drive home, then drive to the post office, then drive back home then drive to the gas station, I do it all in one trip.

TSW doesn't require you to drive home either. learn to phone home.

Quest are spread out all over the place you don't have to go back to the guy whos quest you just finished pick up one nearby. enjoy the advneture stop trying to rush to the end so you can complain or oast how you beat the game in 3 days. (if thats really what you want there are several games out that will let you pick up ever quest in one spot and be done with the game in record time, all to their own)

• kartanakartana Member UncommonPosts: 148
    There are many quests where you have to go back to the quest giver to do something there and then phone in the quest while standing right next to the npc that gave you the quest, which is also a bit idiotic.
    Originally posted by lifeordinary

And this is exactly why i love this game because except for main storyline, there is no linear questing hubs in TSW. You don't have to follow one quest giver to another.

Ths is explorers MMO, people like me who like to look into every nook and corner are having a blast.

Just today when i was about to move out of savage coast, i asked in general how many quests people have in finished log, some said 50 others said 45, i had total of 41 and so decided to explore even more carefully this time and see what i missed. Guess what? i found 9 more items quests spread over entire map.

This is part of design and not going anywhere. FC  wants you to explore.

I can dig it and see where your coming from but I'm not talking about exploring I'm talking about having to cover large amounts of ground I already have, nothing new to see here, to get to a corner of the map I might have missed something in. This gets boring for me....

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

Where is your sense of adventure image

Oh that's right, this is 2012 and we must follow the WoW formula for success.

Seriously, if you can't hack it, then maybe TSW isn't your cup a tea, what I can't figure out as many beta invites this company sent out within the last 2 months, you still purchased the game knowing what you were getting into.

• BingelingBingeling Member Posts: 2

Usually you are led around on a circle by an item mission found near a main mission end point. This either bring you back, or more usually to a new main mission. And the circle will sooner or later bring you back to the first one if there is more to be had.

One good example for me was Sarge met very early  in the Blue Mountains. I went off on some mission of his, and much later I was led back along the water from another mission end, which ended up at Sarge again. I probably completed half of the zone between the two. 

If I had gone back to Sarge early on, I would be annoyed at the item mission bringing me there when I was mostly finished with the zone. That being said, I can't even remember there being another mission available, so it could have been locked. Or I just too busy getting killed and forgot.

You can as said above put map markers on locations you want to revisit. If do this this it may be a good idea to remove the marker once you have done the revisit. 

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019

Time sinks are good.

WoW used to have weird time sinks too, like warlocks quests to get a mount, rogues doing a fairly pointless class quest. These things get removed and items acquired are put on a vendor or just outright given to the players and then the players start to moan and pine for the days of massive time sinks.

Developers can't win with everyone, if you think the questing is duping you in to wasting your time taking longer to play the game than you would like, then just stop playing the game.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

OP your doing it wrong... You can have five quest at a time, one main and four others.  Grab you main and head in that direction . Look around there are side quest everywhere. While completing (5 parts usually 30mins-hour) the main quests grab the side quest and keep on moving. 

By the time you done, you in the next spot. Think of each main quest as a stroy arc in a choose you own adventure image

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • SoraksisSoraksis Member UncommonPosts: 294
    There are many quests where you have to go back to the quest giver to do something there and then phone in the quest while standing right next to the npc that gave you the quest, which is also a bit idiotic.

If you have payed any attention to the game story at all you would know that your not phoning the quest giver your calling your factions HQ to report.  So knowing that,  your statement seems a bit idiotic.

• miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835

BLUF: TLDR entire thread; pay attention and you'll see the system actually makes sense.

Normally I would read through an entire thread before I reply but it's pretty late (3am) and I've had a few drinks so this time I'll just chime in before I get to the aforementioned reading.

While I can understand how the OP feels as an old school MMO/MUD gamer I have absolutely ZERO issue with the system as it's setup.  In fact, after having played through a few beta weekends and now early access I've learned you can actually progress through each series of quests in a manner that actually compliments the "limited" mission max, almost to the point I'd expect a Dugi's "leveling" guide sooner or later to allow for maximum efficiency AP/SP accumulation.  Of course we all know that this game isn't the type that will attract the masses so hoping for such a "guide" is unlikely but still the possibilites definitely exist.

Don't get me wrong, as was previously stated, the system does impose an artificial time sink but I mean seriously, we are talking about a MMO here.  Time sinks are the hallmark of the genre.  At least this time around (or rather, finally we have returned to the era where) we actually have meaning in revisiting locations other than for nostalgic reasons.

• BigRock411BigRock411 Member Posts: 299

I think it works fantastic, the whole quest system is genius imo...at least for a game like this.

Yeah we are all use to crappy storyline and 15 quests per hub, in those games this system would be terrible.

In this game however, it keeps you focused, if your stumped or see something so exciting you have to do it now nothing is stopping you from taking that mission and then comming back to the one you were on.

Years of conditioning make it hard to adapt to chage for some.