Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Endgame and longevity

Comments

• SayoPGSayoPG Member Posts: 8
    Originally posted by p_c_sousa
    Originally posted by flup
    Originally posted by Poison_Adele

How does every single GW2 longevity thread always, always miss the big, glaring beacon of lighT? 

Namely, ArenaNet's promise of live, quiet content patches? I quote:

“We have a live team of designers and artists and gameplay programmers who are going to be flying over the game constantly, dropping content everywhere” Johanson says. “Our goal is that every time you make a new character, you might go back through a map that you played six months ago and you’re going to find completely different content.” New content, he says, will be spread across the whole game rather than concentrated in specific areas. As this happens, the events already in place will be altered to accommodate it.

“You run around Queensdale, the human starter area, and maybe the Brood Mother shows up every X minutes,” Johanson continues. “We’re going to put another event that can happen there, and then slow down how often the Brood Mother happens. Not only are there new events happening, but everything you’ve seen before starts happening less often. The world gets larger and larger. Three years from now, if someone makes a brand new character in the game, a place that has 100 events in it might have 300 by then.”

This

THIS 

Yup THIS

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by SayoPG

How does every single GW2 longevity thread always, always miss the big, glaring beacon of lighT? 

“We have a live team of designers and artists and gameplay programmers who are going to be flying over the game constantly, dropping content everywhere” Johanson says. “Our goal is that every time you make a new character, you might go back through a map that you played six months ago and you’re going to find completely different content.” New content, he says, will be spread across the whole game rather than concentrated in specific areas. As this happens, the events already in place will be altered to accommodate it.

“You run around Queensdale, the human starter area, and maybe the Brood Mother shows up every X minutes,” Johanson continues. “We’re going to put another event that can happen there, and then slow down how often the Brood Mother happens. Not only are there new events happening, but everything you’ve seen before starts happening less often. The world gets larger and larger. Three years from now, if someone makes a brand new character in the game, a place that has 100 events in it might have 300 by then.”

This

THIS 

Yup THIS

"We'll update with content after launch". This... i never heard from devs before.

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202
    Originally posted by FredomSekerZ
    Originally posted by SayoPG

This

THIS 

Yup THIS

"We'll update with content after launch". This... i never heard from devs before.

Judging by the ability of their "live team" in GW1 (which was very very small) their full team should be able to do miracles

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    Originally posted by kikoodutroa8

I'd like to know if the game has interesting pve on the long term.

Your post is a little.... chaotic. Sorry. ;) First you start with PvE, then you come to PvP, then from your friends point of view or your point view. That makes it hard to answer. So I will concentrate on your first sentence which seems to be the main part you want to know.

I will also skip the "Interesting" cause I don't know what you find interesting.

About long term pve content there are

- all PvE zones because you will never outlevel them. The starter zones will still be challenging even as a level 80 as you get downleved

- the 8 dungeons. I woudn't multiply them with their different paths or story/explorer mode. Si it's 8.

- crafting. I count this as PvE content. There are many professions

- 8 different classes which at least imo are all fun to play. (some more some less of course)

- 5 races with different stoy lines

- lot's of PvE achievements

All those PvE zones contain dynamic events. Don't get too hyped about them it doesn't mean the whole zones are dynamic. But they do change and when you get back to the same zone later on maybe with an alt you probably will find the zone in a different status.

As all PvE activities grant experience you will only have seen a small part of the PvE content when you hit level 80. Even less when you also do some PvP.

Concerning zergs and teamwork all I can say so far is, that yes, the PvE content could be zerged. Which happened many times during BWE's because there were so many people doing the same events. But there were also times when only few or less people did an event and then good teamwork became much more important and even required. After the first server rush population will get more distributed about all PvE zones so I expect lesser zergs than compared to BWE's.

Btw I recommend also to try the PvP. I am not a great PvP'er myself but so far PvP is really fun in GW2. Structured PvP will probably evolve into some elitist thing where you get roflstomped later on by those "experts". But in WvW there is always some fun to have for PvP amateurs like me.

Hmm, I hope this helps but I am not sure....  I lost the track a little, just like you probably. :)

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by seridan
    Originally posted by Johnnymmo
    Starting with alts is not an end game. Thats a poor excuse for we have no more content but go ahead roll an alt and do the same dungeons and dynamic events again to 80. I dont see pve longetivity here. This is about crushing your foes in pvp :) i look forward to that. Just wished wvwvw would show player names so i could become feared

In other games maybe. In Guild Wars 2 you can have at least 3 alts which will experience completely different content, provided of course the 3 factions offer only one storyline. If they offer more complexity you can have 5 characters (one for each race) with different storyline. Rolling an alt in GW2 leads to different dynamic events and personal story. The dungeons will be the same but anything else can be different.

The 3 factions only offer one storyline? What factions are you talking about, servers? Some choices in the personal story?

imageimage
    Originally posted by JoeyMMO
    Starting with alts is not an end game. Thats a poor excuse for we have no more content but go ahead roll an alt and do the same dungeons and dynamic events again to 80. I dont see pve longetivity here. This is about crushing your foes in pvp :) i look forward to that. Just wished wvwvw would show player names so i could become feared

In other games maybe. In Guild Wars 2 you can have at least 3 alts which will experience completely different content, provided of course the 3 factions offer only one storyline. If they offer more complexity you can have 5 characters (one for each race) with different storyline. Rolling an alt in GW2 leads to different dynamic events and personal story. The dungeons will be the same but anything else can be different.

The 3 factions only offer one storyline? What factions are you talking about, servers? Some choices in the personal story?

During your play in the game you will be allowed to join one of three main orders (I called them factions) Actually you will be required to join one of them if you want to progress your Personal Storyline beyond a certain point.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Order

They offer a different approach to the dragon problem. There are 3 empty medals on your account for order achievements (finishing their storyline) and it's safe to assume you can't finish all 3 of them with one character, although you can change order mid-way. That means 3 different high-level storylines are waiting for the players to see. Of course, those 3 orders might offer different storylines of their own

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• HellSingsHellSings Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by JoeyMMO

During your play in the game you will be allowed to join one of three main orders (I called them factions) Actually you will be required to join one of them if you want to progress your Personal Storyline beyond a certain point.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Order

They offer a different approach to the dragon problem. There are 3 empty medals on your account for order achievements (finishing their storyline) and it's safe to assume you can't finish all 3 of them with one character, although you can change order mid-way. That means 3 different high-level storylines are waiting for the players to see. Of course, those 3 orders might offer different storylines of their own

Considering each Order gives a new weapon/armor set, I'm fairly certain all 3 can be done on 1 character.

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

Why is everyone talking about longevity?

I thought todays mmos were ment to be played thru then shelved and on to the next mmo. At least thats what everyone is saying, so it must be true.

It would be far easier if game devs could get together and setup a paypal account, then we could just send money every other month or so and they can pump out cheap mmos for us to play.

Would save a lot of time, cuz I really dont have time for "longevity".

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    Originally posted by Adalwulff

Why is everyone talking about longevity?

I thought todays mmos were ment to be played thru then shelved and on to the next mmo. At least thats what everyone is saying, so it must be true.

It would be far easier if game devs could get together and setup a paypal account, then we could just send money every other month or so and they can pump out cheap mmos for us to play.

Would save a lot of time, cuz I really dont have time for "longevity".

cause lot of people are tired to change games likes t-shirts

• MattVidMattVid Member Posts: 399

I have no clue what the longevity of the game is going to be like. That is my only concern. I have seen gameplay up into the 40-50 range, but nothing past that. There isn't really "end game" content from what I can see, as the entire game is content you can play and explore as you level up.

There is a dungeon every 10 levels, with explorable modes probably at +5 levels. So 30/35, 40/45, etc. Then at 80, supposedly there are 3 dungeons. Every explorable mode has at least 3 paths to take. So that means there are at least 12 dungeons to explore and complete at max level.

I have not heard anything about "raiding", but I am assuming there will be some pretty epic events where you will need a lot of people. We will have to see. Even if things are a "zerg fest", they could make it scale well enough that it wouldn't matter how many people you bring.

There are so many unknowns at this point, but I like what I see so far in the sub 40 content. If I get bored, I can always stop playing and come back whenever I want. That is the beauty of this "buy to play" model.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610

How well this game does post top level will be all on ANet and their ability to give us new content. Reg updates and creative ways to keep people playing. I think the dynamic meta events will be one of the big ways that will happen but as of yet we have gotten very little info on meta events. I think it will be the candy raiders are looking for and could fix raiding bring a new and creative way to bring masses of players together for PvE.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by MattVid

I have no clue what the longevity of the game is going to be like. That is my only concern. I have seen gameplay up into the 40-50 range, but nothing past that. There isn't really "end game" content from what I can see, as the entire game is content you can play and explore as you level up.

There is a dungeon every 10 levels, with explorable modes probably at +5 levels. So 30/35, 40/45, etc. Then at 80, supposedly there are 3 dungeons. Every explorable mode has at least 3 paths to take. So that means there are at least 12 dungeons to explore and complete at max level.

I have not heard anything about "raiding", but I am assuming there will be some pretty epic events where you will need a lot of people. We will have to see. Even if things are a "zerg fest", they could make it scale well enough that it wouldn't matter how many people you bring.

There are so many unknowns at this point, but I like what I see so far in the sub 40 content. If I get bored, I can always stop playing and come back whenever I want. That is the beauty of this "buy to play" model.

Also, don't forget that you effectively can't out level content, to a degree. You can always enter zones you passed by while leveling up, fully explore them (while being de-leveled to the appropriate range), and still be appropriately rewarded.

I would say that the PvE side of the game will wind up being for more of the achievers and explorers. The PvP side of things will most likely have the most longevity though, especially with the WvWvW pvp.

Originally posted by Kaneth
    Originally posted by MattVid

Also, don't forget that you effectively can't out level content, to a degree. You can always enter zones you passed by while leveling up, fully explore them (while being de-leveled to the appropriate range), and still be appropriately rewarded.

I would say that the PvE side of the game will wind up being for more of the achievers and explorers. The PvP side of things will most likely have the most longevity though, especially with the WvWvW pvp.

I dont agree. ANet has said they will be adding new Dynamic events in each area as time goes on. So in 3-6 months you can have fresh content. Also they talked about the Meta Dynamic Events that will be added. Where map wide events taking masses of players to get the job doen could be really fun. Everyone in guild yells about a meta event on X map and you port there and get some phat loot and have fun and then 2 more Meta events show up in 2 different maps. I personally think this game has more to offer in PvE then people are giving it credit. Also from what I read it looks like the devs will be holding events and interacting with the player base.

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

I wonder...

If raids did not offer better gear, would "hardcore" raiders do it?

Is the actual raid fun? Fun enough to do 20-30x with merely a cosmetic reward?

If it IS fun, then it's been done right. If not, then it's not raiding that you like...what you actually enjoy are timesinks.

What GW2 proposes is a number of different ways to enjoy the game. The majority of them allow you to progress to max level, albeit at different rates.

However, what GW2 proposes is that instead of motivating people to complete content by placing better gear in them, people should motivated to play content over and over again because they enjoy the content. And you get cosmetic gear to boot.

There are a few people here that have played Skyrim, ME, or <insert favorite RPG here> multiple times. Did you play it because you got uber gear at the end so that you could succeed in the game? Or did you play it because it was fun?

The longevity of GW2 is soley based on how much fun an individual is having in the game, not on whether they feel like they need a piece of gear in order to proceed.

The next few months will be crucial for the direction of the MMO industry. You have TSW and GW2 (and to a smaller extent, TERA) which are doing things quite a bit differently than their predecessors. If this sort of model works, then we can expect to see things change. If it flops, we can expect things to stay the way they are. For better or for worse.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788

If a game is fun at the base level of it's mechanics than just playing will be fun as well. I always use street fighter as an example, a game that is beat in 20-30 minutes and after many years is still fun. Friends and I used to play halo2 so much we must have played that game through over a 100 times and thats an under estimate. For me gw2 has that fun factor buttery smooth gameplay that keeps it fun, not the job but the joy of playing.....

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by kikoodutroa8

I'd like to know if the game has interesting pve on the long term.

I haven't been on beta and can't be annoyed to read all the promotionnal stuff about the game, so forgive me for asking:

Is there a lot of 5, 10, 20man content? Is it challenging, does it require teamwork or is it mostly a zergfest?

Did anyone actually test the endgame during the beta?

I usually pvp a lot in traditionnal mmos so I assume I would enjoy GW2, but I know a lot of people who almost never pvp and they speak of GW2 like it's the 2nd coming. Unless the magic of hype turn them all into hardcore pvpers, are they gonna enjoy the game more than a few weeks?

There are some really challenging 5 man dungeons, anything needing more people are scaling in the open world and PvP in the mists.

But saying if a game have good endgame before launch is impossible, and the goes for guessing how long a game will last for you.

For example did many people think that WAR and TOR would last them a long time and yet quit after 6 weeks, while other games have cought players a long time.

So I don't know and anyone who hasn´t been in the game since ANETs internal beta wont know either.

You just have to wait and see.

Originally posted by Vorch

If it IS fun, then it's been done right. If not, then it's not raiding that you like...what you actually enjoy are timesinks.

From my raid experience they are never fun, at least for me, they are just timesinks. I believe nobody would ever raid for cosmetic rewards.People have to grind and do a raid over and over and over again not because they are getting cool looking gear, but because gear of raid1 is essential for raid2 and obviously raid3 is out of the question without raid2 gear.

• MuntzMuntz Member UncommonPosts: 332

From my raid experience they are never fun, at least for me, they are just timesinks. I believe nobody would ever raid for cosmetic rewards.People have to grind and do a raid over and over and over again not because they are getting cool looking gear, but because gear of raid1 is essential for raid2 and obviously raid3 is out of the question without raid2 gear.

People did grind for cosmetic rewards in GW1 all of the time.  

I think new MMOer will still fall for the gear grind but MMOers that have been around the block a few times are done with gear grind. There really needs to be a new reason to do raids. Someone needs to reinvent the wheel. I think ANet is taking a stab at it with Meta Events but I dont think they will have anything to do with the classic raid system.

• grimmlibertygrimmliberty Member UncommonPosts: 41

End Game, the thing that you 'feel' causing you to look around and compare yourself to those around you. If you 'feel' successful, usually involving 'beating' those said people around you, you enjoy it and stay. If not, usually you leave complaining. 

I doubt there will be 'end game' in GW2 for most players who stick it out to level 80. It's a mindset thing, don't worry over it. 

Longevity, how long a game will last before a company decides to close the doors on it. It really has NOTHING to do with the players most of the time. UO is still kicking out there in the dark. WoW will be around for your gamer grandkids. Count on it. 

Seriously, these are silly things to worry over. You spend $60, play the game until you get bored or it closes up shop. Right now it will last longer than six months, so if you enjoy it, your $ will be well invested in the 'entertainment' column ....

Oh, yeah, and if the BWE's have been indication of leveling speed, you will be level 80 in under a month if hardcore and two months if casual. MOST of the content is for AFTER level 80 by my understanding, much like GW1 content was mostly after level 20 (the cap).... 

[edit] also, if Crafting and you have a large guild to support you, you could concievable make level 80 from that in under a week, [/edit] 

Sincerely,
    Grimm Liberty

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

They aren't fun because you need to do them over and over, the time lost just with logistics is a pain, the drops are random, once you get the drops the content becomes trivial, every time the fight will be the same since nothing unexpected happens and if something unexpected happens you wipe anyway.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

It is always assumed regardless of the various helpful links and information about a game that has a leveling system and has classes with character progression by leveling content, that there is some form of "end game" content. what people are asking is what they will all ask...where is the "content" at max level that provides me with the top gear in the game.

As it stands right now, most people who play MMOs don't consider the "journey" endgame. and it's not. but they desire to rush to max level to see what system's are is in place to attain the best gear for their character to be comepetive.

If a developer in this day and age fails to provide the people spending money on their MMO some form of end game progression, then they leave. look at SW:TOR for an example.

What happens when the "mass exodus" starts is, players start posting on forums like this, and the the games forums and word of mouth they create from being misinformed about a games systems or allowing "self hype" to skew their perception of the game due to something being new and everyone being excited angers them when the game fails to provide them with what they had false hope for.

The main problems that GW2 will have after max level is attained is, keeping people who love playing level based content driven MMORPG's more content for max level that allows progression.

I know GW2 fans who are very intelligent and understand the devlopers have a "design philosophy" but expect making money to trump design philosophy when the exodus starts.

Me I think it's great ANET devs are doiing something different. we need more of it. BUT, an entire generation of Wow players who willd decend on your MMO will try to get thing's changed, and in the end the devs will do it or they will suffer to get  blizzard's market share.

Just a frendly warning that devoted fans who get passed for the greater demographic need to understand.

Good luck.

• grimmlibertygrimmliberty Member UncommonPosts: 41

Originally posted by jeremyjodes It is always assumed regardless of the various helpful links and information about a game that has a leveling system and has classes with character progression by leveling content, that there is some form of "end game" content. what people are asking is what they will all ask...where is the "content" at max level that provides me with the top gear in the game. As it stands right now, most people who play MMOs don't consider the "journey" endgame. and it's not. but they desire to rush to max level to see what system's are is in place to attain the best gear for their character to be comepetive. If a developer in this day and age fails to provide the people spending money on their MMO some form of end game progression, then they leave. look at SW:TOR for an example. What happens when the "mass exodus" starts is, players start posting on forums like this, and the the games forums and word of mouth they create from being misinformed about a games systems or allowing "self hype" to skew their perception of the game due to something being new and everyone being excited angers them when the game fails to provide them with what they had false hope for. The main problems that GW2 will have after max level is attained is, keeping people who love playing level based content driven MMORPG's more content for max level that allows progression. I know GW2 fans who are very intelligent and understand the devlopers have a "design philosophy" but expect making money to trump design philosophy when the exodus starts. Me I think it's great ANET devs are doiing something different. we need more of it. BUT, an entire generation of Wow players who willd decend on your MMO will try to get thing's changed, and in the end the devs will do it or they will suffer to get  blizzard's market share. Just a frendly warning that devoted fans who get passed for the greater demographic need to understand. Good luck.

I know this is not what you posted about, but I think it is relevant... The thing is they are not trying to capture any part of WoW's (or anyone else's) 'market share'. If it happens, ok, they'll take it, but from what I see that is not what is driving them...

They know, because they have been watching like I have, that right now MMO players are NOT a limited resource.... there are millions of new players every months... the flood gates have opened and they are ravenous. All they need are Enough players to keep the game alive. In this case it is people Buying the game...  Word of mouth to the 'new to MMO' players means little to nothing. I've seen that many times.... They don't play WoW for the simple economics of it all... How much does a new player have to pay to play the current WoW?  ... the BEST pricing I have found would cost a new player over $110 + whatever the next expansion will cost. PLUS a subscription fee....  they are saying 'no'.  THIS game is $60 one time... I've met a lot of 'yes' players

"mass exodus" will not effect a game like that.... Look at UO, still around 400k players after all these decades... People ALWAYS move on to something else. The thing is, enough people stay. All the games that have died have died from finacial issues within the company, mostly NOT related to the game... 

Sincerely,
    Grimm Liberty

• DrWookieDrWookie Member UncommonPosts: 263

My experience with the one dungeon available on the weekends (The Catacombs) was a decent challenge...and that was in story mode! (The "easier" mode). THe "trash" mobs were definitely not trash. We wiped several times off 3 or 4 enemies. THe bossies were also varied and unique (One particular boss...well there are two of them that you fight together, is very fun and interesting mechanics wise).

Just adding my experience. Also keep in mind (in case someone hasn't already said this) that you scale to the level of the area you are in...so all of the dungeons can be played (with a challenge) in the end game.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by jeremyjodes

It is always assumed regardless of the various helpful links and information about a game that has a leveling system and has classes with character progression by leveling content, that there is some form of "end game" content. what people are asking is what they will all ask...where is the "content" at max level that provides me with the top gear in the game.

As it stands right now, most people who play MMOs don't consider the "journey" endgame. and it's not. but they desire to rush to max level to see what system's are is in place to attain the best gear for their character to be comepetive.

If a developer in this day and age fails to provide the people spending money on their MMO some form of end game progression, then they leave. look at SW:TOR for an example.

What happens when the "mass exodus" starts is, players start posting on forums like this, and the the games forums and word of mouth they create from being misinformed about a games systems or allowing "self hype" to skew their perception of the game due to something being new and everyone being excited angers them when the game fails to provide them with what they had false hope for.

The main problems that GW2 will have after max level is attained is, keeping people who love playing level based content driven MMORPG's more content for max level that allows progression.

I know GW2 fans who are very intelligent and understand the devlopers have a "design philosophy" but expect making money to trump design philosophy when the exodus starts.

Me I think it's great ANET devs are doiing something different. we need more of it. BUT, an entire generation of Wow players who willd decend on your MMO will try to get thing's changed, and in the end the devs will do it or they will suffer to get  blizzard's market share.

Just a frendly warning that devoted fans who get passed for the greater demographic need to understand.

Good luck.

Because "end game" is endless and doesn't end?

Didn't a large portion of SWTOR just left even before reaching max level?

The game just needs to be good.

Look at WoW, no new raid for 6+ months - people complain, some leave, others still play.

SWTOR just isn't what most people wanted - people wanting WoW already played WoW.

Then it is up for the developer to keep things spicy, progression based or not.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders