Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NA Tera is Bleeding

Comments

• FireRunnerFireRunner Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by PsyMike3d

few months ago i made a post about this game... and all ppl were bashing me! Now you see the results and it will get worse with the GW2 release...

When Diablo 3 launched our server lost about 30% of its active players - literally.  Then four weeks after launch our server lost another 30-40% of its active players.  We are literally down to 1-2 active guilds who are running the end game instances (I'm in officer in one of them).  Each week we have players leaving for another server or leaving the game.  My friends list of 25+ players is empty every evening I log in.

When GW2 launches in two months...Tera will lose 50% of its active players left.

Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

few months ago i made a post about this game... and all ppl were bashing me! Now you see the results and it will get worse with the GW2 release...

Yep, because GW2 will defenatly not have huge drop offs a few months later /sarcasm

OP, i'm not playing TERA, but this is to be expected. It alwasy happens with any game. I myself wonder what can be done to stop it, if there is even a solution at all.

GW2 will of course have a drop off rate, but the issue is once most players leave an MMO they don't go back.  Everyone who has left Tera hasn't come back.  When players leave for GW2 they won't come back.  So, the bleeding continues.

MMOing since 2000

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

It will stop once they put a F2p bandaid on it.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• PostcardsPostcards Member Posts: 105
    Originally posted by FireRunner

When Diablo 3 launched our server lost about 30% of its active players - literally.  Then four weeks after launch our server lost another 30-40% of its active players.  We are literally down to 1-2 active guilds who are running the end game instances (I'm in officer in one of them).  Each week we have players leaving for another server or leaving the game.  My friends list of 25+ players is empty every evening I log in.

When GW2 launches in two months...Tera will lose 50% of its active players left.

Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

Yep, because GW2 will defenatly not have huge drop offs a few months later /sarcasm

OP, i'm not playing TERA, but this is to be expected. It alwasy happens with any game. I myself wonder what can be done to stop it, if there is even a solution at all.

GW2 will of course have a drop off rate, but the issue is once most players leave an MMO they don't go back.  Everyone who has left Tera hasn't come back.  When players leave for GW2 they won't come back.  So, the bleeding continues.

I think some players will come back but I'm not sure if it will be enough to keep them. I personally feel that TERA's combat is the best at the moment but I can probably list a lot of issues that plague the end game.

• otacuotacu Member UncommonPosts: 547

Actually i saw it coming considering the features at launch:

- pointless owpvp (and the fanboys said "it's fine the players will just pvp like crazy because it's fun we don' t need objectives!)

- free ganking (1 player is happy 10 other players get frustrated)

- fast leveling grind, slow endgame grind (a killer combo)

- rng enchanting

- incredibly small pve endgame (wtf no raid?)

- no battlegrounds (a suicide)

This was the perfect plan for a trainwreck: so i'm not really surprised

Originally posted by silvermember

Aion a few years ago took a long time to hit level 50, i remember it taking me about 2 months to hit 50, after level 45 it took me pretty much a week to gain a level. How did that help the game? the answer is, it did not the sub dropped significantly. The point being, very few people enjoy grinding to level up, because most MMORPG are set up in such a way that pretty much make leveling a race to endgame. WoW created a MMO population were ENDGAME is the point of the game and until that attitude is removed from players, slowing leveling will always be perceived as bad. Anothing thing to add is tht in most games there really isn't any incentive to not rush to the end, because everything punishes you for staying as a low level.

This is a VERY good post.

Back in the early 2000'games could have a long leveling stage because there was almost no competition and the mmorpg genre was only starting. The players were of course more forgiving.

It's not that the games were more difficult... they were just more timeconsuming. And since there were very few options players had to accept the months of grind.

Nowadays we have options TONS of options.

You make a game that requires months to reach max level? People leaves in droves because they don't like to grind and there are so many new games out there to try!

So you must balance your leveling timing.... too slow is bad and too fast is bad too!

Tera was really too fast. The primes were at cap after 2-3 days, regular rushers after 1 week, normal players after 2-3 weeks. In one months even most of the slowest casual was 60.

And they suddenly were exposed to the hilariously small "endgame".

The last underlined sentence is quite interesting. Why players rush to endgame anyway? Because in a gear based game the "real game" starts at cap. Maybe it's stupid but that's how it works. And if you have content you can only play at cap of course players are going to rush.

And Tera had yet another issue on PVP servers: gankers. Since the game is a gankfest the players feel the need to rush to max level because they don't like the idea of being oneshotted in owpvp.

Anyway Tera is down to 4 servers in Korea and they are starting a F2P (max level 50) server today.

In Japan it's not even dead... it's rotting.

In Europe Frogster killed the game in 1 month. That was amazing. Tera already had its shortcoming as a game... having an horrible publisher like Frogster was really overkill.

NA Tera is bleeding? Well it's actually the place where Tera is doing best at the moment. 

• MortaMorta Member UncommonPosts: 8

For me what kills it is THE COMMUNITY... some of the worst chat I have ever seen. Think WOW barrens with lots of foul language and racism. I think I'm out on next sub up.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Wait for f2p.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by teakbois

1. Lack of basic guild features.  Guilds have no officer chat and that makes it hard for officers to communiate and coordinate.  

I wasnt aware of this.  A game thats 18 months old at this point without officer chat?  Even SWTOR launched with officer chat, didnt it?

When Aion launched didn't it take longer than the more recent (at the time) mmos to reach cap, and this was one of the many complaints?  Seems the companies can't win for losing.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

I'm not disagreeing with the OP but in regards to point 5.

Has there been any MMO in recent years that took someone 2-3 months to hit the level cap? I can't think of any. It seems to be a common failing in MMO's over the last 4 or 5 years that 2-3 weeks to max level is standard. I know not everyone agrees with this point of view and like getting to max level quickly but I think it's sad that all anyone thinks of these days is "endgame".

I don't think the real issue is how fast the leveling curve might be, but rather the same old raid / instance runs ad nauseum they keep shoving down our throats as if there couldn't possibly be any other type of end game or at least give us legitimate diverse paths for end game content.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Only lasted 2 weeks playing the game. Its just not my type of game but it should have launched as a Free To Play.

• Reas43Reas43 Member Posts: 297

For all intents and purposes, the game IS F2P at this time, if you want it to be.  just bought a chronoscroll for 1750 I -kid-you-not (Dragonfall).  Of course someone must have bought that month - so long as that someone is not me, idc - but it literally took me two days of checking the ah on log in and log out to make that much gold.  The benefit is that there's no character limit, no inventory space limit, etc etc.

Now that I have the system running and 4 scrolls in the bank -  I'll probably move the sub money to try tsw for a month maybe two, see how that fares.

• TeekayTeekay Member Posts: 94

annnnnnnnnddddddd I told you all so.

Even after playing 2 hours of the beta i posted on the shortcomings of this game, which would lead to its eventual demise.

But oh no!, the combat system was just too amazing and the graphics so wonderful that they alone would carry this game on for the next 5 years. I plainly pointed out that the lack of endgame and the pointless opvp would doom Tera.

Look at everyone now, ' No endgame!, We want battlegrounds!, It's a gear grind!, We need a reason to pvp!'.  It was obvious from the start that all these things would be a problem, but due to the rose tinted glasses all fanboys wear no one was having any of it.

Also the cash shop and chronoscrolls. The game is pay to win. You can but a horse which you can use form level 1, so enhancing your xp speed over other players, which is clearly (by your own definition) pay to win. On an opvp server, reaching max level more quickly is a huge advantage.

As mentioned you can buy all your gear with gold. So just buy some gold/sell a chronoscroll and just buy all your equipment instead of those pesky dungeon runs where you arn't even guaranteed the item.

It was a recipe for disaster from the very beginning. How not make an MMO.

• PostcardsPostcards Member Posts: 105
    Originally posted by Teekay

annnnnnnnnddddddd I told you all so.

Even after playing 2 hours of the beta i posted on the shortcomings of this game, which would lead to its eventual demise.

But oh no!, the combat system was just too amazing and the graphics so wonderful that they alone would carry this game on for the next 5 years. I plainly pointed out that the lack of endgame and the pointless opvp would doom Tera.

Look at everyone now, ' No endgame!, We want battlegrounds!, It's a gear grind!, We need a reason to pvp!'.  It was obvious from the start that all these things would be a problem, but due to the rose tinted glasses all fanboys wear no one was having any of it.

Also the cash shop and chronoscrolls. The game is pay to win. You can but a horse which you can use form level 1, so enhancing your xp speed over other players, which is clearly (by your own definition) pay to win. On an opvp server, reaching max level more quickly is a huge advantage.

As mentioned you can buy all your gear with gold. So just buy some gold/sell a chronoscroll and just buy all your equipment instead of those pesky dungeon runs where you arn't even guaranteed the item.

It was a recipe for disaster from the very beginning. How not make an MMO.

The combat in TERA is still amazing and OWPVP is still fun.

I sold a Chrono Scroll and used the gold to enchant my gear only to fail every single time so those Pay to Win Chrono Scrolls sure worked for me.

The Vanarch Mount is faster than the cash shop one and I can use it at Level 1. Overall the game is okay. The PVE end game is definitely lacking big time.

Pfft. I've got a better one:

The next two big releases this year will lose player numbers after the first month or two. Some joker in their forums will cry failure. The game's are doomed to shut down (Notice I gave no specific time window). Your lucky numbers are 16-48-64-42.

I might return to these forums to say to a bunch of strangers "I told you so, please give me reassurance and validation." or... I might forget about gaming or MMOs for another 3 years.
  • PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

My guild still has 30-40 online at prime time, as long as the guild stays active and the enemy guilds we are constantly at war with stay active all should be fine for me.

Hey i'm playing for free anyways, Chronosrolls cost 1.7k in the broker... that's nothing lmao.

Dragonfall, VoT, BC and Jagged Coast are the only lively servers, all BETA servers, it was expected, that's why I rolled on one. Apparently the RP server Celestial Hills is doing alright as well, but I can't confirm anything on that.

With free transfers it just creates a snowball effect and everyone goes to what they hear is popular, even my guild on BC has lost probably 10 member to VoT, however we did gain 2 from VoT.

Inb4 TSW and GW2 are bleeding, also D3 already bled out.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I think TERA is a pretty good game but I also think that it should have released as B2P instead of P2P. The publisher didn´t have that huge cost for converting the game so they could easily have afforded that and the game would have had a lot more players that way.

It is not a nice read on the most voted game on this forum, TERA was number 2 after GW2 before the release, now it isn´t even on the list.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by Loke666

It is not a nice read on the most voted game on this forum, TERA was number 2 after GW2 before the release, now it isn´t even on the list.

The hype meter is completely broken and jumps games all over the place all the time, in one day I watched TERA drop a huge amount but the number of votes cast remained the same.

Also it looks like every game dropped a significant amount recently except BETA games, no idea why, the hype meter is definitely busted.

Not using this to defend TERA, just pointing it out.

• AtmaDarkwolfAtmaDarkwolf Member UncommonPosts: 353

All of the 'new' games fail, in many ways like the OP (And others) have described. Back in the old day, where you had buy + sub games, you ALSO had a very involving, deep story, that 'updated' each month(or so) based on player interaction, and ontop of that, max level wasn't reached in a week/month/or even year, by the average gamer(and also remember, at this time, the 'average' gamer was what u would call the 'elitist' these days, as in we would spend 3-4 hours a day 5 days a week playing, it was our way of saving money, or what we spent INSTEAD of going out to watch a movie)

Add in over the last 15 + years, players who 'DEMAND' instant gratifcation, 'easier' games, faster leveling, autoroute to quests, and so on, you got what was once good involving questing/interaction boiled down to 'click->level' and little more(I mean honestly, in those new games, beyond the first few quests or important 'storyline' missions, does anyone even READ quest text? And if so, does it really contrubute to the game?)

Yes, we definatly got better looking games, but truth be told, if I want 'pretty' games, i'd go single player.(Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the advances we have made since the days of EQ1, AC, etc. I just feel that the 'life' of the games we HAD and what we HAVE now have changed so drasticly.)

So back to the original point.. if a new game provided a deep story, one that someoen could follow, and feel as if they shaped the future of that story, a game where accomplishments FELT like accomplishments and not just another check mark on a list of 'achivments', The player base(The ones not screaming for easier leveling, autoroute to quests, etc) I feel that we would not mind paying for the box AND a sub.(Item shop is another story though, it can help the game since hopefllly item shop items are not 'required' to advance)

For those others? We need more facebook games with 3 buttons and a pretty animation: Level up, Better gear, Win! (For all it amounts to, many of the new games are basiclly just that)

• CrisazgoCrisazgo Member Posts: 42

I gave tera a try about a month ago.

I like the style of the game, i think its one of the best looking games i ever played. The combat also felt excellent but..

I didnt stick around lnog due to appalling queue times (1 tank class in eu) meant waiting 1.5-2 hours. This isnt good enuogh and is basiclaly a broken game when 5man is all lthere is to do. Who wants to afk in towns for hours or do something meaningless to wait the queue.

Also the customization is poor, everyone is practically the same the glyph system doesnt change anything. Many glyphs are redundant anyway. I would of liked some option to use a different rotation like changing spec, there were plenty of abilities ingame that just werent good enough to be used so were removed off the bars. I also feel 1 role classes are a thing of the past and what helped kill the game with queue times.

I've seen this mentioned twice already so let me ask. Ultimately, as the driving means of revenue, how is B2P different from F2P? It has always struck me that B2P is simply buying the game's box for the privilege of playing an F2P game ( limited character numbers, inventory, etc that you must pay cash to unlock.)
    My issue (or I should say experience ) with F2Ps is that development resources go where the money is: fluff or stuff that is normally included in a P2P at the expense of actual playable contents, system updates and most of all: customer service.
    So my question again, how is a B2P not considered as B2F2P?
  • SebberSebber Member Posts: 221
    Originally posted by Reas43
    I've seen this mentioned twice already so let me ask. Ultimately, as the driving means of revenue, how is B2P different from F2P? It has always struck me that B2P is simply buying the game's box for the privilege of playing an F2P game ( limited character numbers, inventory, etc that you must pay cash to unlock.)
    My issue (or I should say experience ) with F2Ps is that development resources go where the money is: fluff or stuff that is normally included in a P2P at the expense of actual playable contents, system updates and most of all: customer service.

That's like saying after you bought a game and then payed for your sub fee, that it's F2P after that. So P2P = F2P.....

Originally posted by Reas43

You might want to check out how B2P worked 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guild_Wars

LoL I don't even... Oh wow.
  • doho7744doho7744 Member Posts: 31
    Originally posted by silvermember

5. Tera is too easy.  I was able to reach the level cap within three weeks, and that's not playing every day.  Leveling to max level should take at least 2-3 months, not 2-3 weeks.  Players (even with their complaining) need a challenge to stay interested.  Tera was so easy players left after hitting level 60.

Aion a few years ago took a long time to hit level 50, i remember it taking me about 2 months to hit 50, after level 45 it took me pretty much a week to gain a level. How did that help the game? the answer is, it did not the sub dropped significantly. The point being, very few people enjoy grinding to level up, because most MMORPG are set up in such a way that pretty much make leveling a race to endgame. WoW created a MMO population were ENDGAME is the point of the game and until that attitude is removed from players, slowing leveling will always be perceived as bad. Anothing thing to add is tht in most games there really isn't any incentive to not rush to the end, because everything punishes you for staying as a low level.

The problem isn't slow leveling, the problem is grinding to level.  If I take a week to level but the leveling is full of entertainment then its not a problem. 

I think devs have focused to much on the end and not enough on the journey.  In that sense they are light on content in mid game areas.

I remember going back to WoW in WotLK and totally blowing past areas due to fast leveling.  In progression it would be starter area, Westfall, Redridge, Duskwood, etc.  Now its starter, Westfall, Duskwood and so on.  It seems like instead of going 1,2,3,4 I was only hitting every other area.  There was no slowing down to see the area and exploring.  I would not do all the quests in an area maybe a third.  By accelerating the leveling the devs wasted all that good questing area and there by shortened my time in their game. 

If you have 100 hours content in your game and I blow by half it due to increased XP then you need to have a constant stream of content at end game.  I think devs are screwing themselves out of breathing space by hurrying people to end game to quickly.

But if you have slow leveling xp AND you design the game around "endgame" you're doomed: the players no matter what will feel the urge to rush the content because they have more options and variety at cap. And they will whine that the leveling is too slow and "grindy" too.

• CrunkJuice2CrunkJuice2 Member Posts: 568

"3. End game can be bought.  If you don't feel like running instances 100 times to get your full T12 gear set you can simply BUY IT off the broker.  One of the worse things Tera did was allow end game gear to be BOE and sellable.  Many players would rather farm gold (which is very easy) and buy their T12 set.  This destroys the focus of a level 60 to run instances.  This is why players in WoW run end game over and over and over again - to get their gear!"

i was under the assumption that Tera's end game wasnt filled with a bunch of loot obsessed little kids like wow.i thought Tera's end game was pretty much like Lineage 2,you get max level and then grind and pvp