Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Holding Back the Industry!! (TSW)

This is why MMO tend to develop with more same type attitude....

http://www.gamespot.com/news/funcom-shares-tank-following-secret-world-launch-6385871

And it goes back to my point of hoping TSW doesn't need big sub number to P2P.....

See investors where hoping for it to make a big splash (Sales number wise), which it hasn't, because if it did they would brag about it already weather pre-order figures or digital sale etc....

Another problem, most of these company that are releasing MMO, are attach to the stock market and that is killing this genre of moving forward..  If the company is attach to stock market more than likely investors expect either a high amount of sub numbers or 200k+ in box sales to at least cover the cost of development and make a profit...

There is a reason the CEO of the studio that made TSW, step down and switch his position to become advisory to the board.. One reason could be to quell angry investors.

Also for the love of the game why did they switch developing it for the 360 over to an MMO, that whould explain why it feel like a Big investigation game, similar to Heavy Rain, BUT WHY!!!....  If the sucess of heavy rain is to go by there is a market for these games on console, all they had to do was add co-op feature. And i'm sure they would save on cost too, so this selling 300K on console would be more profitable than making it a MMO..

If this genre in the game industry is to move forward, such games would have to come from a company not in dealing with the stock market, becuase creativity and risks is being to on the back burner for profits...

PS... TSW isn't holding back the industry!!

Comments

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Funcom is trying something sorta different with TSW, but not really.   There is still the basic quest hub game play.   Still grinding for gear - yes you are grinding for higher QL weapons and that is gear.   I commend Funcom for their no levels and open skill system, that is cool, but these are not the things that are truly hurting TSW.   Nope.   It is Funcom themselves.   Funcom borked two other games and many people were burned by them.   I think the game would be doing better if Funcom hadn't made so many ex-players gun shy.   Funcom did this to themselves.    That is not saying that the game won't pick up more subs in the future...but right now I believe many ex-players of AoC and AO are just not willing to take the chance on Funcom again.    You know that old saying, "fool me once ..." 

It takes time for wounds to heal and Funcom will have to re-earn their trust and respect.  

• GargolaGargola Member Posts: 356

Sales figures are not available for anyone but the direct company, yet.  The stock loss in price it's not about the game, but about the change in the CEO.

You'll see the effect on stock, from the actual game, after a month or so, or even after the quarterly (public) report they have to publish by law due to be a public traded company.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Doom!!! When did playing video games become more about industry speculation and stock prices?

Lol I feel like this is a site for investors sometimes and not gamers.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

There are people you should listen to about stocks, and Gamespot isn't one of them. I'm not totally sure I'd listen to them about games.

There hasn't enough been time for TSW to have that kind of impact on Funcom's stock. So, how about this? People invest in Funcom, as the stock rises. Then they wait until just before or while a big game is being released, then they sell the stock at the high point. Apparently, this is a recurring pattern with publicly traded game developers. Build a product, stocks go up, release product, stocks go down for awhile, then if the product is any good, stocks go back up. Or so I've heard anyway.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Teala

Funcom is trying something sorta different with TSW, but not really.   There is still the basic quest hub game play.   Still grinding for gear - yes you are grinding for higher QL weapons and that is gear.   I commend Funcom for their no levels and open skill system, that is cool, but these are not the things that are truly hurting TSW.   Nope.   It is Funcom themselves.   Funcom borked two other games and many people were burned by them.   I think the game would be doing better if Funcom hadn't made so many ex-players gun shy.   Funcom did this to themselves.    That is not saying that the game won't pick up more subs in the future...but right now I believe many ex-players of AoC and AO are just not willing to take the chance on Funcom again.    You know that old saying, "fool me once ..." 

It takes time for wounds to heal and Funcom will have to re-earn their trust and respect.  

It's utterly impossible for Funcom to "earn back their trust and respect" if those players flatly refuse to ever play another Funcom game, lol

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

You do have to say this about Funcom:  This is the list of AAA MMORPGs since WoW.  Which felt the most different from WoW:

LOTRO

WAR

AoC

Rift

SWToR

TERA

4 of those 6 games are 'WoW with xxx feature'.  The other two are funcom games.  At least Funcom thinks outside the box, even if only partially.

The real test for TSW will be once people go through the current content and see what awaits at the 'endgame', and how fast Funcom can keep adding content.

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Look at Blizzard's stock the day after Diablo 3 was the number one release of all time. Still went down...

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

It's utterly impossible for Funcom to "earn back their trust and respect" if those players flatly refuse to ever play another Funcom game, lol

PLayers like me will watch what they do.  We will read the forums, watch the feedback from players, see if TSW is just another AoC or AO.   I have a feeling that if the game gets progressively better - players will tell other players.  Right now I understand TSW is going through some new game launch issues...bugs, animations, broken quest...those kind of things.   I am sure I am not the only one that is waiting to see what Funcom is doing before making a decision on whether or not to play the game.   Only time will tell.

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574
    Originally posted by Xstatic912

This is why MMO tend to develop with more same type attitude....

http://www.gamespot.com/news/funcom-shares-tank-following-secret-world-launch-6385871

And it goes back to my point of hoping TSW doesn't need big sub number to P2P.....

See investors where hoping for it to make a big splash (Sales number wise), which it hasn't, because if it did they would brag about it already weather pre-order figures or digital sale etc....

Another problem, most of these company that are releasing MMO, are attach to the stock market and that is killing this genre of moving forward..  If the company is attach to stock market more than likely investors expect either a high amount of sub numbers or 200k+ in box sales to at least cover the cost of development and make a profit...

There is a reason the CEO of the studio that made TSW, step down and switch his position to become advisory to the board.. One reason could be to quell angry investors.

Also for the love of the game why did they switch developing it for the 360 over to an MMO, that whould explain why it feel like a Big investigation game, similar to Heavy Rain, BUT WHY!!!....  If the sucess of heavy rain is to go by there is a market for these games on console, all they had to do was add co-op feature. And i'm sure they would save on cost too, so this selling 300K on console would be more profitable than making it a MMO..

If this genre in the game industry is to move forward, such games would have to come from a company not in dealing with the stock market, becuase creativity and risks is being to on the back burner for profits...

PS... TSW isn't holding back the industry!!

I really don't get why these investors expect big numbers. The only MMO to get big numbers is WoW, that's it. Correct me if I am wrong, but no MMO upon release has had spectacular numbers. What evidence leads them to believe it will sell well? Personally, I think it's about time firms stopped churning out MMOs. The fewer, the better. Now we even have a Family Guy MMO - where does it stop? It's a joke.

I hope TSW does well - for the sake of the developers and the people that worked on it.