Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Can Old Be New Again?

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

With the World of Warcraft expansion, Mists of Pandaria, on its way, many "old" players are wondering if it will be able to bring the magic back of WoW's glory day.s In today's WoW Factor, we take a look at that notion. See what you think and then leave your thoughts in the comments.

With games like The Secret World, Guild Wars 2, Planetside 2 and so many others coming out over the next few months and into next year all trying to push the boundaries of what an MMO can be, I wonder if there’s still a place for the traditional theme park that is World of Warcraft. It’s likely still massive subscription count, though not what it once was is enough to keep Blizzard’s behemoth at the forefront of MMO gaming even if the hardcore folks like us no longer spend every day talking, thinking, and dreaming about it. But for how long? Can it ever take someone like myself, someone who’s long since begun exploring new worlds with newer mechanics, and bring me back into the same sense of love and adoration I once had for a world called Azeroth?

Read more of Bill Murphy's The WoW Factor: Can Old Be New Again?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Nope... it can not be new again, not for the people who usualy voice their discontent on sites like this and others. Because what they want back was never really there to begin with. It was not a tangible thing. It was a emotion and a experience and that they can not get back.

And world PvP is not dead.. it is just that people today are way to lazy to actually get something going. There are tons of ways to actually force world PvP but it takes work, just like it did back "in the days" but people have forgoten that part and just want it to happen, materialize out of thin air.

Now ofc these are my personal opinions and does not in any way shape or form classify a truths.

This have been a good conversation

• Carl132pCarl132p Member UncommonPosts: 538

I could be convinced to go back, I likely won't, but I could. I really just want planetside 2 though.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

" I would love to see some sort of open world dungeons, boss fights and all." this was the biggest argument that players had when they released cataclysm. Here the story was supposed to be the end of the known world and the threat was supposed to be immense, yet, there were no town raids (not even small ones) no attacker events nothing.even if it were a timed events like Rifts it would have been an overall improvement. 

IMO i think that Blizzard's Lead Dev Ghostcrawler is too arrogant to actually admit that WoW needs an overhall. Heck they didn't even add cosmetics until they lost 2 mil subs all at once some time ago. 

Their newest expansion is going to have to go a long way to actually catchup to the rest of the gaming world or they'll be left behind, even if people keep their subs they will be spending most of their time in other titles so why pay for WoW when they won't be using it??

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

"You can never go back home again" or something like that, the saying goes. I didn't buy Cata, but I played for a short time months after it released (free week or something they gave me to come back). It's still fun, but for me, the one thing I couldn't get over was the talent revamp. MoP looks to make it worse in my eyes, and I won't come back.

Character choices are too few for those of us who didn't subscribe to the FotM club. "Gimping" your character to fit your playstyle or roleplay style is gone.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645

Don't beat the old horse they say. 8 years=move on to something else new. Popular games in general(non-mmos) like CoD or some other big name move on to something new in 2 years.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• Harbinger1975Harbinger1975 Member UncommonPosts: 244

I have to agree with WhiteLantern.  What World of Warcraft once was, it can't be again.  I remember watching BlizzCon 2011 and watched the talent revamp portion.  All I could remember hearing myself think was: "What the f***?"  Cataclysm was nice in thoery.  But in truth, it just didn't work out the way Blizzard wanted.

An earlier poster said that if Blizzard doesn't catch up, they'll be left behind.  I think it's already too late for that.  Blizzard has already fallen behind.  And people like Ghostcrawler and Bobby Kotick are not helping the situation, they are only exasperating it.

This is just my personal opinion though.

• alexminoalexmino Member Posts: 132

" But it seems like Blizzard is content not paying attention to others games’ successes lately and I wonder why they haven’t tried to bring forth some of their own “Dynamic Content” a la Rift or the upcoming Guild Wars 2."

Because GW2 isn't out yet and has sold no copies, and Rift has about 7 million less subscribers?

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395

You never step into the same WoW-river twice....

Even if the game was the same, you are different.   Hence, much angst.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

I agree with ScorpionOne, "  And people like Ghostcrawler and Bobby Kotick are not helping the situation, they are only exasperating it."

What blizz is doing, and have always done, which most mmo have fail to see, is to constanly revamp old contents , and adding little nice and different touches to this game here and there. eg, changing of spells effects.

Revamp the talents system is 1 of them, however personally i feel that they are making it worst.

And somehow i feel that blizz is still very stubbon in implementing more new things in the face of more and more competitions, say putting in player housing, its like they just wana prolong every function as long as possible, thus enabling them to sell more x-pac.

But if they dont start to pump out contents more and fast, this mammoth will goes down faster than i think.

Unless, of course they are super duper confident in their new mmo....

RIP Orc Choppa

• nuttobnuttob Member Posts: 291

I will probably never go back even if it becomes FTP.  I played this game to death, and no new feature is going to bring me back.  Gameplay was always fun, but in reality the animations, character creation, and graphics are severely outdated and limited by today's standards.  I guess it's a been there, done that mentality.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

While I don't think I can be convinced to play WoW again, what is old can definitely become new again.  I went back to EQ1 a few years ago and played for about a year and it was definitely a refreshing experience.  Just the amount of freedom allowed to you and you have the real sense that you are playing a RPG (not everything is streamlined at the sake of immersion/realism).

As MMO's continue down the "action combat 1337zorz" 16 year old after 6 Mountain Dew's lane...I can see how some old school MMO's would tire of it and want something different after a while.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

"Remember me the way I used to be"

I have a lot of fond memories from Vanilla. The game world was awesome, everyone was learning the game, mobs were not too easy-not too hard.

I belonged to a horde guild named "Dreadnaught" on the Greymane server and we had a riot. We were shit disturber's and we were always attacking Alliance town and cities "We were the Horde" and we played the part.

Our guild leader made a forum challenge "Dreadnaughts were going to invade Iron Forge" and if the Alliance could kill any single one of our member's, our guild would leave the server. Our guild leader had created an alliance guild named "Dreadnaughts" instead of "Dreadnaught" and had us all create lvl 1 Gnomes with an "s" after each of our names and we all went running into Ironforge with about 300 Alliance watching and waiting for an epic battle. After we fullfilled our challenge, we gave them what they were waiting for at about 6 fps lol.

Our guild leader was a fun and entertaining guy, he made the Alliance hate our guts and I loved every minute of it lol.

Thats the way I want to remember WoW. The game today cater's to a different crowd and that's ok.

I will never go back.

Cheers

Gorum of  Dreadnaught 

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• NilenyaNilenya Member UncommonPosts: 364

I played World of Warcraft from the time it was in early family and friends beta!

All through release, the so called vanilla stage, through the launch of Outlands, Wrath of the Lichking, and finally Cataclysm. I took a few breaks here and there but I experienced all the end raiding for each of those expansions, and in Vanilla I was both engaged in the pre-xrealm pvp and in AQ raiding as well.

I can honestly say I appreciate very well the way WoW operates as far as content and game mechanisms go, and that there is ABSOLUTELY nothing remotely interesting to me, about wow at this time. When I read that the next expansion was going to be Pandas I just threw my hands up and said to myself, well there goes one mmo addiction atleast. On to the next one. 

The game is now same old, same old in my eyes, and I know I can't be captivated beyond an eventual level race at the start of an expansion, and that means it isnt worth purchasing or paying a sub for. Gear races/grinds are just not enough anymore. In a way I guess I thank WoW for having so exhausted that end game concept that other games are now looking at different ways of keeping the player interested. About bloody time is all I have to say.

So in short, NO.

• 0vergil00vergil0 Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Originally posted by alexmino

" But it seems like Blizzard is content not paying attention to others games’ successes lately and I wonder why they haven’t tried to bring forth some of their own “Dynamic Content” a la Rift or the upcoming Guild Wars 2."

Because GW2 isn't out yet and has sold no copies, and Rift has about 7 million less subscribers?

false GW2 isnt even out and sold a lot of copies already...get your fact straight

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

I'm just doing the Ironman Challenge (currenlty lvl 61...go go go!!). I'm not really interested in the expansion.

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    Wow is a great game. At this day in age though, I don't think the one size fits all is going to keep working. Wow has a large base but they aren't sure of thier identity. Are they casuals? Raiders? Pvpers? World pvpers? It's a very diverse community, it doesn't play well anymore, if everyone is on the same page, that's where you can put your money. I think wow can be new again, but they really need to put thier foot down and on what wow is.
  • dadante666dadante666 Member UncommonPosts: 402

NOUP for the reason that wow alwais try to change himself  and change all games trying to making look new but basically messup the gameitself, wow is the only old game still out there  but changing other and other again the mechanism and system trying to making another game it just not good they would save that for wow 2 or so but its going to die cause of that and later will run out of ideas ;/ sooo sad

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

There is no point in playing WOW anymore.  The road to 85 is just an artificial grind.   Back in vanilla, being 60 meant something.  Now being 85 means absolutly nothing.   Back in vanilla gold had value, now gold is worthless.   I remember back when 500g was a ton of money at level 60.   Now these days 100k is pocket change.

• RudeappleRudeapple Member Posts: 4

To bring many of the older MMO's back they should attempt to insert a FPS style of gameplay much like what Star Trek Online did.

• GitsnikGitsnik Member Posts: 4

i agree, it cannot be new anymore, its overall just the same shit with new skins always, WoW was good, no doubt it really were, but not anymore. just a shame they dont get it and keeps throwing shitty expansions out

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Nope not even close.

WoW is the evil, greedy, soul sucking game that has IMO destroyed this genre.  My friend tryed to give me a scroll of Rez a few months back and I went back to try it and the game was unbelievably shallow plus prettty much horrible.  I have no clue why people still play the game and I dont know how I played every day without fail for 6 years.  So glad I broke away.  WoW and WoW clones are EVIL.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• dorugudorugu Member UncommonPosts: 184

they have to stop simplify th dungeons for once and also try and give back that sence of accomplishment when yu finally found the entrance to the dungeon little like sunken temple where yu had to go in a mini maze to get in(it felt like yuve succeded in somefing wen yu managed to get in alive) :)and then kill the 4 mini bosses b4 yu culd go for the dragon now the entrance is smackbang in the beginning and only hakkar and the prophet n dragon r left :(     

and also i think they need to add more epic recipees for the crafters so that ppl dont have to raid if they dont want to or cant get a group for the raid content 

tutoring or "sidekickin" wuld b nice2(they culd nick the idea frm coh/cov where the sidekicked person wus artificially raised 2 one lvl below the mentors  lvl w powers/skills as they had from start if they were raised and kept reasonably close to yur "mentor")so tht higher lvls culd help lower and id like more "hidden" lore and quests and places to find would also help and i think more freedom in the talent placing so if yu wanted to mix and match yu culd do tht

i agree open world bosses wuld b nice to have as well doubt theyll implement it but 1 never knows

id also want more customisation options like for example tattoos or scars or somefing like tht

so tht yu culd make yur char look unique well eres my opinion on it anyway(still playin it since its one o the few games i can play on my ancient single core computer :)even though its mostly dead in th low lvl zones )

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by Gitsnik

i agree, it cannot be new anymore, its overall just the same shit with new skins always, WoW was good, no doubt it really were, but not anymore. just a shame they dont get it and keeps throwing shitty expansions out

They throw out expansions because each one brings in about 5 million sales in the first month (last one did).. that's about 150 million. Then another month sub from each sale (at the 'least', because gametime isn't included). That's another 45 million. Thats almost 200 million 'minimum'. We buy, they make.. done.

Those figure were £'s btw.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I've recently gone back, the big thing that brought me back was the scroll of ressurection.  I mean getting a free level 80, free wotlk, free cataclysm, free transfer (that i didn't use), is something I couldn't pass up, even if it only lasts a month before it wears off.  I quit right before wotlk.  Mainly because I was mad at Blizzard for only making a melee tank/dps and not a mage class too in wotlk.  They had a perfect set up for it.  The Necromancer would've fit right in with the death knight starting area, and would bring one of my favorite class types ever, the pure-pet class.  Now that I'm back, I find myself in a guild that does weekend raids, and always grouping up for RBGs and HoTs.  Alot has changed in the world, which I like.  I've started leveling an alt, and it's new again since alot of the quests are different now.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Adding what your competition is doing is not always a good thing.  I like GW2, but the current method of dynamic content is still a little gimmicky, and not really as 'dynamic' as it claims to be.  Its going in the right direction, but its FAR from a must have feature.

Conquest has been a pretty big flop so far for Rift, and it was ut in for the wrong reasons.  It wasnt done because thats what Rift customers wanted.  It wasnt done because it was a reason why people left Rift.  That would have been meaningful open world PvP, and conquest is anything but open world.  No, it was done because GW2 will have 3 way PvP and "3 faction PvP" is a buzz word.  Not only does it not fit into the Rift setting, but their implementation of it has caused technical issues that plague non PvPers by causing gamebreaking lag for raiders.  Had they done actual open world PvP (what people wanted in the first place) they wouldnt be taxing the instance servers like this.

The important thing is to be true to your game, and dont try to be something you are not.