Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else notice the amount of shilling taking...

Comments

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

These aren't marketers pretending to be fans.  These are fans pretending to be marketers. :-)

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035
    Originally posted by Distopia

If anything more and more these forums mirror general underhanded political discussion. Posters act as though every thought should be accounting for all angles of a debate.

Uh.. bah... who'sa... whaaaat?

Have we left the 'age of reasoning', and jumped straight into the 'age of emotional attachment'?

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern
    Originally posted by Arawulf
    Originally posted by Teala

A shill: Shill typically refers to someone who purposely gives onlookers the impression that he is an enthusiastic independent customer of a seller (or marketer of ideas) for whom he is secretly working.

When a shill operates and post to forums boards and such, like they do on websites like Pintarest, they are a shill that is shilling.  :)

Thanks for the clarification :D

Yes; unfortunately, Teala has become so jaded with the genre that she thinks anytime someone likes a game, they are a shill.

Thats how it sounded to me aswell.

A poster that has nothing negative to say must therefore = a shill, especially on this site.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Yes; unfortunately, Teala has become so jaded with the genre that she thinks anytime someone likes a game, they are a shill.

That paranoia characterizes one of the final stages of Bittervet Syndrome. 

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

The most blatant shill on this site no longer posts.  There was an account that was created one month before Rift launched that has nearly 2000 posts.  Maybe half were on the Rift forums themselves, often starting new threads excited about new information or taking the time to post pictures from the PTR.  The other half?  Bashing WoW, SWTOR and GW2.  Never a good thing to say about any other games.  Textook shill.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Originally posted by AwDiddums
    Originally posted by Teala

A shill: Shill typically refers to someone who purposely gives onlookers the impression that he is an enthusiastic independent customer of a seller (or marketer of ideas) for whom he is secretly working.

When a shill operates and post to forums boards and such, like they do on websites like Pintarest, they are a shill that is shilling.  :)

Thanks for the clarification :D

Thats how it sounded to me aswell.

A poster that has nothing negative to say must therefore = a shill, especially on this site.

I'll take that advice and will lead by exampls :

SWTOR is the best game ever! If you haven't played this yet, you are missing out the oppurtunity of a lifetime! It is pure orgasm every minute!

I hate veggies.

• GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488

Nope, there's still one here.

I''m not going to call him out because that's rude though.

• strumpfstrumpf Member Posts: 13
    It's easier to believe that people have an ulterior motive than that they disagree with/like other things than you, is that what's going on here? Yeah we know, plenty of wars fought over it.
  • freegamesfreegames Member UncommonPosts: 240

Shilling might have been good in the past, but I'll stick with the gil no thank you.

Also there are quite a few people taking on early in the game as many games have a very polished early game, but falls flat and gets boring/repititve later on. If someone actually gave us money how many people would not be shilling if they did not like the game?

Most people have opinions and they differ quite a bit.

For instance I prefer the Gil currency vs the Shill currency in the video game market.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154
    Originally posted by strumpf
    It's easier to believe that people have an ulterior motive than that they disagree with/like other things than you, is that what's going on here? Yeah we know, plenty of wars fought over it.

Shills are real, but I dont think its widespread.  Im not sure if this is an "Icant believe the hype that TSW is getting' thread or something else.  While I wouldnt doubt a shill buried in the TSW positivity, its more likely theres one buried in the negativity.  The game is the first AAA game in a LONG time that hasnt just made 'WoW clone with xxx feature' and people are excited because of it.

• Poison_AdelePoison_Adele Member CommonPosts: 287

To be honest, when you really love a game, it's hard to keep a level head and not find yourself trying to do what you can to help it succeed. That can be as mild as recommending the game or responding to posts where people ask what game they should play, and as bad as regularly harassing the competitors' forums.

I've certainly been tempted and given into the temptation a bit, and I find it hard to believe that anyone who's ever really looked forward to an MMO hasn't at least been tempted, if not fallen into the trap once or twice. It can be frustrating, even if there's no logical reason it should be, to hear people bashing something you love when you (rightfully or wrongfully) believe they've got the facts downright wrong.

On that note, singing an upcoming game's praises/bashing its competitors is probably just how most people deal with the excitement before a game is released, and how they deal with a failing game post-release. 

Just my 2 cents.

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813
    Originally posted by Poison_Adele

To be honest, when you really love a game, it's hard to keep a level head and not find yourself trying to do what you can to help it succeed. That can be as mild as recommending the game or responding to posts where people ask what game they should play, and as bad as regularly harassing the competitors' forums.

I've certainly been tempted and given into the temptation a bit, and I find it hard to believe that anyone who's ever really looked forward to an MMO hasn't at least been tempted, if not fallen into the trap once or twice. It can be frustrating, even if there's no logical reason it should be, to hear people bashing something you love when you (rightfully or wrongfully) believe they've got the facts downright wrong.

On that note, singing an upcoming game's praises/bashing its competitors is probably just how most people deal with the excitement before a game is released, and how they deal with a failing game post-release. 

Just my 2 cents.

Your clear-headed logic and sensible point of view are not welcome here.

/Sarcasm Off

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

I sometimes feel like I'm a shill for games I've stopped playing.

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Clicked on thread expecting a new term for ruining an MMO, Curt Schilling style.  Like, "What's up with Bioware and they way they are schilling SWTOR?".  I am disappoint.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

I really only notice this from GW2 fans.  I see it with TSW, but it's relatively minor.  Honestly, I felt like the TERA fans were more annoying.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by GTwander

They are validating the day-1 shills because it benefits them.

Plus, I don't think you have to be a new account to shill a game - you just have to be a completely biased poster that dances around (or completely denies) the negative points brought up. Which I see plenty of, in both GW2 *and* TSW land.

Plenty of posters are actively trying to SELL this game to the unconvinced. That is the pure definition of the word.

more likely is that its a 'tunnel visioned' fanboy..  i don't doubt that there are a number of 'shills' though i think its more 'viral marketing' these days, at least for the 'bigger named' products. About the only obvious shills i've spotted have been cagily staged as 'questions' about a game because of interest that  is designed to open the way to more positive 'feedback' from respondents, probably the same person again with multiple accounts. image

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Dumb question: What's "shilling"?

when i first read the title i thought she was asking about the amount of money Curt Shilling got from the state of Rhode Island for Amalur LOL

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by rojo6934

when i first read the title i thought she was asking about the amount of money Curt Shilling got from the state of Rhode Island for Amalur LOL

their still selling KoA on Steam for 30 quid, i can't help but feel thats a very optimistic price, given the games less than remarkable reputation... but if its the only way that RI can recoup the money. i guess that would explain some of it? image

Originally posted by Phry

their still selling KoA on Steam for 30 quid, i can't help but feel thats a very optimistic price, given the games less than remarkable reputation... but if its the only way that RI can recoup the money. i guess that would explain some of it? image

there were rumors that RI would raise their taxes because of that, but it was rumors... not sure how is that going on right now. But yeah, i still see KoA for 59.99 digital download on origin while its $40 as a hard copy.

But seriously that was the first thing that came to mind when i saw the title of the thread lol. The shilling dude

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I don't know about this whole shilling business but have you guys tried Mortal Online? They've made a ton of improvements and I'd have to say that this game is ready to break out and become one of the major players in the market!  Time to get involved is now, so you can pwn all those noobs when things take off!!!

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

Originally posted by eyelolled

I don't know about this whole shilling business but have you guys tried Mortal Online? They've made a ton of improvements and I'd have to say that this game is ready to break out and become one of the major players in the market!  Time to get involved is now, so you can pwn all those noobs when things take off!!!

is it still sub based? if so, im fine with Skyrim then.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

I like GW2 and I haven't had the guts to visit GW2 forums in six months. The misinformation, the trolls, the blind love and the blind hate...

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by eyelolled

is it still sub based? if so, im fine with Skyrim then.

tbh I don't play, but I've read enough posts like this to have them essentially memorized

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by Quirhid

I like GW2 and I haven't had the guts to visit GW2 forums in six months. The misinformation, the trolls, the blind love and the blind hate...

I have pre-purchased GW2, am looking forard to it, have friends also ready to play and...yet...due to the non-stop rabid, nut-case forum fanbois in EVERY thread on this site...I almost hate GW2 now.

It's like over saturation. So, like you, I don't even look at the GW2 forums. Which is fine. I'd kinda like to go into the game as a newb. I can catch up if need be pretty quickly once I'm playing.

Note: also skipped beta because I wanted the game to ne new (to me) at launch.

• eykosurfeykosurf Member Posts: 14

... and why is this new and/or surprising? 

For as long as I've been on gaming forums there have been rabid fans blindly extolling the virtues of their game(s).  Take SWG for example, still today you'd think that game was the best thing since sliced bread and yet reality would tell differently.  There have been a few shills, and from what I've seen they've mostly been taken care of (anyone remember all the Nike and t-shirt ads :p ). 

Instead of getting upset, be the adult and ignore the petulant children (regardless of age).  With the filtering options (e.g. ignore and watch) I think you have the ability to only view the posts you find interesting.

This discussion has been closed.