Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The camera in GW2 is truly awful.

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

oh really...

Launch is 1/2 months away.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

The only problem I have with the camera view, like others have said, is the distance. I'd like to be able to scroll out a bit further.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• ArawulfArawulf Guest WriterMember UncommonPosts: 597

[GW2 Defendtron 5000 ACTIVATED]: Guild Wars 2 criticism detected.  Incoming nuclear fanboi response. . .

. . . .response aborted. "Reason" rebooting . . .

Actually, the OP is right. The camera could use some work.  I hear they're working on it actually.

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666
    Originally posted by bcbully

oh really...

Launch is 1/2 months away.

beta are old build,

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• eugheuforceeugheuforce Member UncommonPosts: 46

Yeah, I agree as well, I didn't like how sometimes the camera skyrockets to the top.

Also, I wishlist for an option that I can move the camera witohut holding right click, same fashion as a TPS game.

Isn't a game breaker for me, but still it needs working.

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666

the auto-snapback  have to be remove or at least a option to disable it,

i like to watch behind me and same time not pressing any button on my mouse.

just keep walking and looking in 1 direction,

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

I don't feel it's clunky at all but i have given feedback that the max distance needs to be increased, along with the ability to turn snapback off.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Huh, I have just been playing the game! I haven't noticed any of these issues. I possibly need to start being more critical with things instead of just enjoying them. /shrug 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

I didnt really have a problem with it at all, but if they do decide to put in a further zoom out I hope its not too far- Close cam for me makes me feel alot more into it. 

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• rankor2rankor2 Member UncommonPosts: 115
    This is from a q&a with devs and might be relevant to the SnapBack but not sure.

IS FIRST-PERSON-VIEW GOING TO BE AVAILABLE? CAN WE DISABLE THE CAMERA-SWING?
    We are going to making a number of improvements to camera between now and ship. First person is something we want to do but might be a post release things. Yes we will disable the camera swing. Someone just showed it to me.
  • CetraCetra Member UncommonPosts: 359

Camera can be improved but its not gamebreaking. Personally i have no issue with it and its low priority to me.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by coretester

how are people not upset about it? It's the least responsive, most clunky and dreadful camera I have ever experienced in an MMORPG so far.  World of Warcraft, EvE, SWG (from memory), AoC, Warhammer, Global Agenda, Phantasy Star Online 2, TERA online and just about any MMORPG I have ever played have all had far smoother and more responsive camera work when moving your character around. PvPing while trying to look around you to increase your awareness is painful. It feels so incredibly clunky, like i'm turning a damn truck. [mod edit]

But maybe it's just me...

I havn´t thought anything about the camera until I read this post so I guess it works for me...

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by rankor2
    This is from a q&a with devs and might be relevant to the SnapBack but not sure. IS FIRST-PERSON-VIEW GOING TO BE AVAILABLE? CAN WE DISABLE THE CAMERA-SWING? We are going to making a number of improvements to camera between now and ship. First person is something we want to do but might be a post release things. Yes we will disable the camera swing. Someone just showed it to me.

That is extremely applicable to the snap-camera. Here is a link to a Gamebreaker page that organized the Reddit post where the info was released about it:

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/guild-wars-2-overruns-reddit/

• gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053

how are people not upset about it? It's the least responsive, most clunky and dreadful camera I have ever experienced in an MMORPG so far.  World of Warcraft, EvE, SWG (from memory), AoC, Warhammer, Global Agenda, Phantasy Star Online 2, TERA online and just about any MMORPG I have ever played have all had far smoother and more responsive camera work when moving your character around. PvPing while trying to look around you to increase your awareness is painful. It feels so incredibly clunky, like i'm turning a damn truck. [mod edit]

But maybe it's just me...

LOL.  The more things change the more they stay the same and it looks like Anet is at it again.  The camera and overall interface back in GW1 was in my opinion the worst in the history of gaming.  The camera in GW1 would peg to the ground whenver you were even on a slight incline, making it difficult to see more than 10 feet in front of you.  That combined with numerous other clunky design choices really demonstrated an atrocious level of programming skill.  They totally botched the 3D interface when the industry had already solved most of the design complexities.  It was like they really had no idea what they were doing.

It is particularly disturbing they still have camera issues here in 2012.  But I guess it is not surprising, as Anet has never really shown any programming skill whatsoever.  Their main claim to fame is their cut rate pricing and some pretty neat and novel ideas that were, unfortunately, very clunkilly implemented.

I was told they hired some better talent on the programming front, but looks like they are still amateurs.

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
    1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
    2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

• Poison_AdelePoison_Adele Member CommonPosts: 287

I occasionally had problems with it, but didn't find it ever became annoying or a hindrance.

• MattVidMattVid Member Posts: 399

I am beginning to wonder if any of the people posting complaints has even played the game for more than 10 minutes.

I know there were a lot of options for the camera, but I didn't mess with them. I didn't have issues with the snap back ... if I want to look at something, I turn my character with mouse-look. This is a high action game, I would recommend using mouse-look and not keyboard turning.

Also, I could zoom the camera out ridiculously far in the last beta event. Too far back, IMO. But would be great for guild group shots or something.

• coretestercoretester Member Posts: 64
    Originally posted by MattVid

I am beginning to wonder if any of the people posting complaints has even played the game for more than 10 minutes.

I know there were a lot of options for the camera, but I didn't mess with them. I didn't have issues with the snap back ... if I want to look at something, I turn my character with mouse-look. This is a high action game, I would recommend using mouse-look and not keyboard turning.

Also, I could zoom the camera out ridiculously far in the last beta event. Too far back, IMO. But would be great for guild group shots or something.

I'll just address this ignorance real quick. The only MMORPG I have ever keyboard turned in was SWG. I have played competitive arenas in WoW since season 1 and long before that I still didn't keyboard turn. I know how to move the camera properly and I know how to kite as a healer while having your party frames bound and using self-cast while looking behind me as I run pillars. I can't fully comment on my experience with GW2 because of NDA, so I'll just say I have played the betas available to everyone and I spent 90% of my time in SPvP.  I don't have any complaints as far as the zoom goes. It's the general feel of just how clunky the camera is when rotating it compared to just about every MMORPG I have played, most of which have been listed. The snap-back from memory was not something you could turn off, but assuming they are working on that, my biggest complaint is just how clunky and unresponsive the camera is. I could never imagine myself playing an FPS with his camera. Try jumping into CS 1.6 and spinning around on the spot and you'll see how flawless it feels. Try jumping into WoW or any other modern MMORPG and spin around and then go do the same in GW2. If you don't notice how clunky it feels in comparison then I guess there is nothing I can say here to convince you otherwise. It's like arguing with people saying 150 ms is no different from 15 ms, or the people saying 120hz monitors are pointless and how there is no difference between 60hz and 120hz. I just don't understand how indie devs can produce a more fluid and smooth camera movement than a huge company like this. but frrom the looks of it, it only seems like a massive bother to me, so I guess we can leave it at that and just say it's not something people care enough about to warrant further discussion. Thanks for the responses and sorry for having some part of the OP cut out by mods.

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,080

They said (i think it was on Reddit, or some other interview) that they were working on upgrades to the camera, as well as directional animations. Currently the directional change animations which are actually in part responsible for the "smoothness" of motion with a camera in these games are bugged and not working properly as of the last beta, so when you change directions it sort of looks like your character sways around and the camera doesn't mesh well with that. It's being worked on.

All of that being said, it's still very smooth and I feel like some posts have exaggerated the annoyance factor of this issue significantly. Btw, you can check my post history Im not an avid GW2 defender, but they really did comment on this situation already, one thing ArenaNet has impressed me with is their responsiveness to the community and openness to criticisms.

Originally posted by Valentina

They said (i think it was on Reddit, or some other interview) that they were working on upgrades to the camera, as well as directional animations. Currently the directional change animations which are actually in part responsible for the "smoothness" of motion with a camera in these games are bugged and not working properly as of the last beta, so when you change directions it sort of looks like your character sways around and the camera doesn't mesh well with that. It's being worked on.

All of that being said, it's still very smooth and I feel like some posts have exaggerated the annoyance factor of this issue significantly. Btw, you can check my post history Im not an avid GW2 defender, but they really did comment on this situation already, one thing ArenaNet has impressed me with is their responsiveness to the community and openness to criticisms.

Thanks for the information. I look forward to seeing what it feels like after the changes! 

As far as people exaggerating, I can only speak for myself. If I were to compare my annoyance with the camera to something else, it would be like when you get rooted on the spot when pressing an ability, making the combat anything but fluid and just gives a general clunky feel to it. This is what the camera is to me atm. :p

• DaemonweaverDaemonweaver Member UncommonPosts: 124

I'll just address this ignorance real quick. The only MMORPG I have ever keyboard turned in was SWG. I have played competitive arenas in WoW since season 1 and long before that I still didn't keyboard turn. I know how to move the camera properly and I know how to kite as a healer while having your party frames bound and using self-cast while looking behind me as I run pillars. I can't fully comment on my experience with GW2 because of NDA, so I'll just say I have played the betas available to everyone and I spent 90% of my time in SPvP.  I don't have any complaints as far as the zoom goes. It's the general feel of just how clunky the camera is when rotating it compared to just about every MMORPG I have played, most of which have been listed. The snap-back from memory was not something you could turn off, but assuming they are working on that, my biggest complaint is just how clunky and unresponsive the camera is. I could never imagine myself playing an FPS with his camera. Try jumping into CS 1.6 and spinning around on the spot and you'll see how flawless it feels. Try jumping into WoW or any other modern MMORPG and spin around and then go do the same in GW2. If you don't notice how clunky it feels in comparison then I guess there is nothing I can say here to convince you otherwise. It's like arguing with people saying 150 ms is no different from 15 ms, or the people saying 120hz monitors are pointless and how there is no difference between 60hz and 120hz. I just don't understand how indie devs can produce a more fluid and smooth camera movement than a huge company like this. but frrom the looks of it, it only seems like a massive bother to me, so I guess we can leave it at that and just say it's not something people care enough about to warrant further discussion. Thanks for the responses and sorry for having some part of the OP cut out by mods.

MMMMMMMMM!!!! cant comment due to NDA!! really??, seems like somebody really doesnt know too much about GWs2.

I have not found the camera particularly clunky at all, view distance and snap have been apparent but have not been too annoying for me. Panning while running has been no different really to the many other MMOs I have played. Maybe if you are finding it clunky it is more to do with the graphics not being optimised currently which is causing some FPs probs for some people.

Anyway I have deffinately not found any of the camera short comings to be game breaking in any way and I have logged up around  80 hours gameplay between BWs and stress tests (caffeine rules) playing in PvE/ sPvP and WvW. Think you are over reacting with your comments and possibly just out for a light afternoon Troll.

Originally posted by Daemonweaver

MMMMMMMMM!!!! cant comment due to NDA!! really??, seems like somebody really doesnt know too much about GWs2.

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

You say you have closed beta access yet you come here to whine. Yes that's all you are doing here, whine. You could have started an actual discussion thread, but you chose to attack from the get go. No I don't believe you have closed beta access, because you would have better avenues to express your opinion then and it might actually be heard.

Furthermore I haven't had any problems with the camera, but than again I know how to adept to things.

Originally posted by Connmacart

You say you have closed beta access yet you come here to whine. Yes that's all you are doing here, whine. You could have started an actual discussion thread, but you chose to attack from the get go. No I don't believe you have closed beta access, because you would have better avenues to express your opinion then and it might actually be heard.

Furthermore I haven't had any problems with the camera, but than again I know how to adept to things.

Actually he never said he had closed Beta access, he said he had access to the BWs and as anyone who knows what they are talking about is aware there has never been an NDA for the BWs, Anet wanted everyone filming and talking about their game experience cos they had nothing to hide,

• NeferaNefera Member Posts: 426
    @daemonweaver - closed beta NDA was/is very strict - you aren't even allowed to tell that you're in beta. So we'll most likely never know if someone really was in closed beta.

On topic, it might be a good idea to just wait to see what camera changes have been implemented by next BWE (as the devs have said that they're working on the camera), and keep complaining after that if they're not enough ;)
    Originally posted by Nefera
    @daemonweaver - closed beta NDA was/is very strict - you aren't even allowed to tell that you're in beta. So we'll most likely never know if someone really was in closed beta.

On topic, it might be a good idea to just wait to see what camera changes have been implemented by next BWE (as the devs have said that they're working on the camera), and keep complaining after that if they're not enough ;)

Yep of that I am aware however read his posts he is talking about BWs and complaining about clunky camera in BWs. Otherwise he would not be complaining at all and most likely as it annoys him that much he probably would not have stuck closed Beta as if camera was so annotying to him on BWs it may well have been worse during any CBT.

As for on topic couldn't agree more, though as I said before I did not find it any worse than many many other MMOs and I have played most, certainly a lot of the jerkyness can be explained by the graphics not yet being optimised