Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking about buying

I took a break from MMOs for a few months as nothing seemed to hold my attention.  I was waiting for the new crop to come out with TERA being the first.  There were some things that I didn't like about TERA so I passed.  TSW is one I have been watching as well.  One of the things that bothered me about most of the AAA MMOs out there was how easy they were.  Seldom did I feel challenged.  I am not a hard core gamer by any means and I'm not looking for a game that is so hard that I get killed every two steps I take but I shouldn't be able to take on most mobs with my hands tied behone my back (figurativly, of course :) )

Enough of my whining.  The things that interest me the most about TSW are 1.) The fact that it is not a high fantasy game and 2.) From what I read it does appear to have a bit of difficulty to it.  I'm looking for confirmation on #2 from those that have played the game.  I don't just mean combat difficulty (although that is part of it) but a game that I have to think a little bit to play and not just wander to the next quest marker on the map and kill 10 orcs.  I am also under the assumption that there are no quest markers anyway.  Yea!

Thanks 

Comments

• MeliezaMelieza Member Posts: 269

In the beginning Kingsmouth area, you won't have any combat difficulty, all the difficulty will come from the puzzle quests which require you to search of clues, look up information on websites, download morse code apps, and more.  Later in the game though, I've heard combat does get more difficult and you have to start paying more attention to what skills you're using and making sure they work well together.  There are over 500 skills, you can have 7 actives and 7 passives equipped at a time.  That does not mean any 7 actives and 7 passives are going to work though.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Shmackpappy

I took a break from MMOs for a few months as nothing seemed to hold my attention.  I was waiting for the new crop to come out with TERA being the first.  There were some things that I didn't like about TERA so I passed.  TSW is one I have been watching as well.  One of the things that bothered me about most of the AAA MMOs out there was how easy they were.  Seldom did I feel challenged.  I am not a hard core gamer by any means and I'm not looking for a game that is so hard that I get killed every two steps I take but I shouldn't be able to take on most mobs with my hands tied behone my back (figurativly, of course :) )

Enough of my whining.  The things that interest me the most about TSW are 1.) The fact that it is not a high fantasy game and 2.) From what I read it does appear to have a bit of difficulty to it.  I'm looking for confirmation on #2 from those that have played the game.  I don't just mean combat difficulty (although that is part of it) but a game that I have to think a little bit to play and not just wander to the next quest marker on the map and kill 10 orcs.  I am also under the assumption that there are no quest markers anyway.  Yea!

Thanks 

I think you might like it. 

The nive thing about TSW is you can set you own difficulty. You can hit anything in game from the start. Tougher mobs will cause you to glance more, but they can be killed. You wont miss like you do in level based mmos, so go ahead and push yourself.

Yes quest will make you think there is no question abou tthat. After my first hour in game I was looking around at everything trying not to miss anything. I might have over did it a bit ;) but at the quest will give you pass. There is no question about that.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • shadow9d9shadow9d9 Member UncommonPosts: 374

Compared to other games like Tera, SWTOR, or WOW, this game gets pretty difficult to solo starting in the 3rd zone.  You will likely have to change builds.  Definitely increased difficulty compared to other games.

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912

Let me put it to you this way. I tried the SWTOR beta and hated it. Uninstalled and never ordered. I knew this was going to be a failure before it was released. I also tried the TERA beta and although found it better, also uninstalled and never ordered it. It's the same old MMO with different combat. (nice graphics though).

Recently I tried TSW beta and GW2 beta. Now I'm a HUGE GW fan from the original game. I even have a fansite for GW2 but to be honest after playing both betas, I actually preferred TSW over GW2. Take my word for it. TSW is a different kind of MMO, but one that I thoroughly enjoy. It will be hard to put it down when GW2 comes out. Maybe I won't we'll see how it goes.

Hope that helps some.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by marz.at.play

Let me put it to you this way. I tried the SWTOR beta and hated it. Uninstalled and never ordered. I knew this was going to be a failure before it was released. I also tried the TERA beta and although found it better, also uninstalled and never ordered it. It's the same old MMO with different combat. (nice graphics though).

Recently I tried TSW beta and GW2 beta. Now I'm a HUGE GW fan from the original game. I even have a fansite for GW2 but to be honest after playing both betas, I actually preferred TSW over GW2. Take my word for it. TSW is a different kind of MMO, but one that I thoroughly enjoy. It will be hard to put it down when GW2 comes out. Maybe I won't we'll see how it goes.

Hope that helps some.

/respect.

Posting good things about TSW with a massive GW2 signature and fansite is what we need more of.  Shows that it's ok to like multiple MMOs and to be impressed by a different game when you try it.  Less hate, more open-mindedness!   :)

to OP:

Well.. there is a 10-page thread on the front of this very board bitching about the game being too hard:   http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/356131

Now, i wouldn't call it "too hard" myself, but it does require quite a bit more thinking, strategy and even quicker reflexes than most of the current AAA MMOs.   It's not EVE in terms of strategy and it's not TERA in terms of twich-gameplay, but it's somehow closer to those games in both regards than to the TORs and Rifts of the world.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372

You will have to think about the quests you're doing.  You can't skip cutscenes because quite a bit of relevant information is delivered during them.  For example during Something Wicked in Kingsmouth if you don't listen and PAY ATTENTION to what the quest giver says you'll have no idea what to do (there usually aren't any markers for puzzle quests).

I've become so paranoid that I actually screenshot, crop and save EVERY clue I come across in case I need it later.  It's amazingly helpful (even though it usually saves that picture in your journal for you I like having my own copy).

I think you'll like it.. many others do (and some who won't admit it).

• SarykSaryk Member UncommonPosts: 476

Get it. If you want a challenge, if you want a game built during our timeline and something very easy to Roleplay, The Secret World is for you. 

Here is a link saving you some cash..... you're welcome :)

http://www.dlcompare.com/games/cd-key-download-the-secret-world-298

• TerronteTerronte Member Posts: 321

The difficulty is of your choosing really. You can skill the "investigative" missions and be just ducky. I personally have had a few issues soloing my faction mission and had to adjust my build a few times, but once that was done it was back to smooth sailing.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

Keep in mind GW2 is coming out in the end of Aug, there is also Mechwarrior Online which comes out in August also (not sure what the exact date is for those who aren't founders) that can tide you over till GW2 if does get delayed.  The buisness model is what keeping me away from TSW, a box retail + sub fee when GW2 is right round the corner is a big no no for me.  While GW2 is a high fantasy (debatable since there is a bit of steampunkish elements thrown in) but really if the lore, setting, lush enviroment, and gameplay are great to you, does it really matter if it's modern or fantasy setting?

I had the opposite Martz's reaction, played both beta's and think GW2 trumps TSW as TSW had the faults I saw in SWTOR.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

It's not a bad game, but TSW certainly needs a couple of months to iron out issues. I'd wait a bit.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• gamekid2kgamekid2k Member Posts: 360
    Originally posted by Elikal

It's not a bad game, but TSW certainly needs a couple of months to iron out issues. I'd wait a bit.

Care to elaborate?  Like what? I found ZERO bug in game so far.

Now Playing: DARKFALL Unholy Wars "Return to Open World, Full Loot PvP, Conquest in a Sandbox MMO with player driven economy! Just like classic MMOs!"

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    Originally posted by gamekid2k

Maybe he's not talking bout bugs but game issues which all games encounter like balance or worthwhile craftine or whatever features?  Quite being so defensive, his opinion he's entiled to.

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332
    Originally posted by gamekid2k

If you read his posts he has struggled with the AP/SP system and had been unable to put together a good build.

He blames the game and is taking his bitterness to the forums.

• CrunkJuice2CrunkJuice2 Member Posts: 568

ha,swtor was a example of the mmo community nowadays not wanting to wait "a couple of months"to iron out issues

eather way,id probably only play tsw when the current mmo im playing gets boring and if i end up not liking guild wars 2

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by CrunkJuice2

ha,swtor was a example of the mmo community nowadays not wanting to wait "a couple of months"to iron out issues

eather way,id probably only play tsw when the current mmo im playing gets boring and if i end up not liking guild wars 2

There is quite a difference between these two games in terms of "ironing out issues".  Having pre-ordered, bought and played both games and I had quite the different experiences.

The problem with TOR was that it had horrendous overall design, which is somethign that can't really be fixed without overhauling the entire game.  The other issue was that it failed in the main thing that it was trying to deliver.  People can get over bad combat, or bad pvp, or gameplay queuing and massive empty zones with only 10 or 15 people in them.  What TOR promised more than anything was a great story and frankly - the story in TOR sucked.  Again, not something you can easily fix.  That was why I left TOR.  I was fully prepared for a bad game with a great story.  But what i got was a mediocre game with a bad story.  Short of re-writing the entire game, there was really nothing BioWare could have done to fix it, so i knew it wasn't goign to get better.

Ironing things out for for TSW at the moment consists of fixing the few bugged quests (on average it looks like  1 out of every 50 quests is bugged), getting the marketplace online and actually adding the endgame content that was promised in terms of 10-man raids.  Aside from that, the game is what it is going to be.  Which is not to say it's for everyone.  It's really a "love or hate it" game.  If you don't get the whole atmosphere thing and don't like reading quests, the game is probably not for you.  If you don't like complexity of a fluid and classless system, the game is probably not for you.  If you can't get over the animation quality, probably not for you.  All good and valid reasons for not wanting to play.  There are other games that I personally chose not to play for these same reasons.  (e.g.  Couldn't get intoTERA due to terrible atmosphere, wouldn't touch WoW due to graphics, quit TOR because the story was downright stupid)

I'll add a third example, which is GW2.  What i didn't like about GW2 was that all combat was basically a zerg and that it didn't matter what any player did during an event - your actions were pretty much meaningless.  You could be dead or afk and still get fully rewarded for completing the event.  Other than that, I rather enjoyed the dyanamic content, the classes, the graphics and the combat.  THIS to me is something that is fixable.  And if at some point ArenaNet makes it so player skill actually matters and is appropriately consequenced on the major fights, I'll probably pick the game up.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

I played both TSW and GW beta.  I am much more of a sandbox player though.  I liked both for different reasons but I haveto say TSW seemed a little more immersive and "fun".  I found I was playing it like a game and not a job.  Hard to say where I will go with the two games.  Likely I will end up playing both. . or biting it and not playing either (working on a startup company - while working full time).

They both seem pretty casual friendly but still have a bit of that old school charm that has been missing for me for so long.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!