Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it me or GW2 PAY 2 WIN game?

Comments

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by McMoneybags

Now folks, let's just be honest.  This game is pay to win/pay for advantages. This is imperical fact.  It's measurable.

Nobody can say with a straight face that paying money for gems and purchasing a boost from the shop doesn't give the person who bought the boost an advantage.  If my karma gain rate is 50% higher than the next guys, I have a leg up on him in terms of being able to buy end-game karma gear from the vendors in capital cities.

Nobody can say with a straight face that me buying gems and selling them for gold won't give me a leg-up over the next guy when it comes to buying siege weaponry or other potentially expensive items.  I'll have the gold I earned through playing plus the gold I essentially bought from ArenaNet.

Now, I think it's a good thing that we can purchase advantages.  I get to flex my wallet online as well offline.  I'll get to lord my fancy gear that I obtained through leveling faster over you, crush you in WvWvW due to superior statistical bonuses from my gear thanks to karma boosts, and just look awesome due to the wide array of dyes I'll have compared to the rest of the peasant folk.  This is capitalism in gaming.  He with the money wins offline, and now wins online.

Buy it all, if you don't understand the skills on your bar, no amount of money will save you. As was stated, at lvl 80 ALL armor is the same but for looks.

This game does not have the same problems, as Allods Online does, where you have to buy stuff or you will never be able to compete. It doesn't matter in this game. Buying stff will get you to 80 a few days quicker, but in PvP all players are lvl 80.

Your attitude belies the fact that you have not played the game.

It is skill that wins PvP in GW1 AND GW2, not how much money you put into the CS or how much you grind for uber armor(as was stated there is no 'UBER' armor).

I will post this for you....image

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269
    Originally posted by p_c_sousa
    Originally posted by itgrowls
    Originally posted by Vaultar
    Originally posted by Master10K

I can link to. image

HAHHAHHAHAHHA omg thats hilarious XDDDDD thanks for the link!!!

image image

people dont know what P2W mean period. when you see guys saying EXP boost is a P2W item you can tell they dont know what are P2W item. 

No, your definition of p2w isn't definitive. In a hobby where accomplishment and experience (not xp but observing, encountering and gaining knowledge ones own self) is the point, but can also be bought, that's p2w. Which is why "they only have different garments or mounts" is not an argument against p2w. If I spend my game time gaining an object or set of clothing, only to turn the corner and see some guy who just started play wearing the same clobber which he bought from the item shop... yeah that fun.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620
    Originally posted by mrw0lf

I can link to. image

image image

people dont know what P2W mean period. when you see guys saying EXP boost is a P2W item you can tell they dont know what are P2W item. 

No, your definition of p2w isn't definitive. In a hobby where accomplishment and experience (not xp but observing, encountering and gaining knowledge ones own self) is the point, but can also be bought, that's p2w. Which is why "they only have different garments or mounts" is not an argument against p2w. If I spend my game time gaining an object or set of clothing, only to turn the corner and see some guy who just started play wearing the same clobber which he bought from the item shop... yeah that fun.

you know the best gear (cosmetic since stat gear are all easy to get) cant be bought right? you can have 1000Gold or lot of gems and you still cant have dungeons/pvo amazing cosmetics items.

• ZoyitaZoyita Member Posts: 119

I can link to. image

image image

you know the best gear (cosmetic since stat gear are all easy to get) cant be bought right? you can have 1000Gold or lot of gems and you still cant have dungeons/pvo amazing cosmetics items.

Why not? if i sell gems and have 1k gold i can buy them from the trade post ;) i can buy me some mini pets and i can buy me a lot of bleed sigils - yes those bleed sigils a person who dont exchange gems cant have cause maybe each sigil cost 1gold+ each. Well is irrelevant whatever i say because the fans will always find a way around to say that this arent advantages. But lets make a test? lets start lvling together you use boost i dont use boost and then lets pvp you vs me? while im lvl 20ish you might be lvl 30+ with your first racial skill available while i dont have that, while my skills are on CD you will have more skills available to use maybe shields maybe heals who knows? why so mad pretending that this advantages doesnt exist when they are present.

here is an example of whats just going on here some people loves to buy advantage on the cash shop they dont want that to be taken, listen! it wont go away your pretty advantage will be there because thats the way they make money so no more pretending and defending it. Some people loves that and thats the people who defend that, im gonna buy advantage too but im not a lier saying that is not possible.

Another example here:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/04/19/the-daily-grind-how-do-you-define-pay-to-win/

and btw if the thread gets close or wathever theres always another thread about the same topic that will born you know why? because theres many minds thinking the same situation.

I dont blame the FANS who say is not pay to win, if i where so fan blinded i guess i would be like that too, im a fan but i wotn put my hand on the fire for any company, companies are business.

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by Justsomenoob

Sunglasses are pretty P2W though I admit.   I mean if someone else has sunglasses and you don't, how will you compete?

Pirate Captain's Outfit 700 Gem for 1 Is a pirate's life for you? If so, this outfit (hat, shirt, pants, boots, gloves, toy sword) has what you need. Wear all the pieces and gain access to 5 pirate themed skills! Town clothes cannot be worn in combat.

Want.  Want.  Want.   Yarrr!!!   Yarrr!!!

• Gentl3ManGentl3Man Member Posts: 20

P2W

Yep it is p2w i mean u have to pay to get the game and then WIN !!!

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604

I can link to. image

Hahahaha uh thanks!

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

I can link to. image

image image

That's the problem with new games they put such specifics on the 'win' condition that even when it's spelt out it's not understood. It really is like speaking a different language. An item doesn't have to have '0mfg sapping purge of pwnz0r +99' on it to be considered an exclusive item. The principle of win condition of the terms considered by many here is so irrelevent in an mmo it's not funny.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• GrahorGrahor Member Posts: 828
    Originally posted by Zoyita

But lets make a test? lets start lvling together you use boost i dont use boost and then lets pvp you vs me? while im lvl 20ish you might be lvl 30+ with your first racial skill available while i dont have that, while my skills are on CD you will have more skills available to use maybe shields maybe heals who knows? why so mad pretending that this advantages doesnt exist when they are present.

But that's exactly the point. WHY would I care that you are leveling faster than me? Yes, you will be stronger in 10 days... But in 20 days you'll hit the cap, in 30 days I'll hit the cap, and from that moment on you and I will be equal - no matter how much money you will put in the game.

Why would I care that you'll have some advantage for 10 days over me? I'm perfectly happy with that.

Of course, I doubt that sharp and honed "minds" who are probably "enquiring" will understand my view, but hey, not everyone is as sharp as you are. Be careful, or you'll cut yourself with your mind.

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by McMoneybags

Now folks, let's just be honest.  This game is pay to win/pay for advantages. This is imperical fact.  It's measurable.

Nobody can say with a straight face that paying money for gems and purchasing a boost from the shop doesn't give the person who bought the boost an advantage.  If my karma gain rate is 50% higher than the next guys, I have a leg up on him in terms of being able to buy end-game karma gear from the vendors in capital cities.

Nobody can say with a straight face that me buying gems and selling them for gold won't give me a leg-up over the next guy when it comes to buying siege weaponry or other potentially expensive items.  I'll have the gold I earned through playing plus the gold I essentially bought from ArenaNet.

Now, I think it's a good thing that we can purchase advantages.  I get to flex my wallet online as well offline.  I'll get to lord my fancy gear that I obtained through leveling faster over you, crush you in WvWvW due to superior statistical bonuses from my gear thanks to karma boosts, and just look awesome due to the wide array of dyes I'll have compared to the rest of the peasant folk.  This is capitalism in gaming.  He with the money wins offline, and now wins online.

The word is empirical and you don't have the data to prove your 'empirical' claim.     I mean, having the data is what it's about:  The word empirical denotes information acquired by means of observation or experimentation.   Empirical data are data produced by an observation or experiment.

You just made what is known as a 'truth claim' without basis.  Or, in short, just another opinion.

You have some empirical evidence to the contrary, feel free to put on proof.   I won't hold my breath though.  

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202
    Originally posted by Zoyita

Why not? if i sell gems and have 1k gold i can buy them from the trade post ;)

You can't buy the dungeon-based cosmetic gear and neither you can buy any high-end gear (that requires karma) or of course any PVP-based gear. So no anything in the "end-game" is not obtainable with gold or gems.

i can buy me some mini pets and i can buy me a lot of bleed sigils - yes those bleed sigils a person who dont exchange gems cant have cause maybe each sigil cost 1gold+ each.

You can have only one sigil (weapon upgrade component) equiped, weapons only have one. There are obtainable from a million other ways, crafting or random drops.

Well is irrelevant whatever i say because the fans will always find a way around to say that this arent advantages. But lets make a test? lets start lvling together you use boost i dont use boost and then lets pvp you vs me? while im lvl 20ish you might be lvl 30+ with your first racial skill available while i dont have that, while my skills are on CD you will have more skills available to use maybe shields maybe heals who knows? why so mad pretending that this advantages doesnt exist when they are present.

What kind of PVP? You do know there is no open PVP in the game. In sPVP we would both be at the same level with same items, with access to everything. In WvWvW we would be same level. Being high level doesn't mean anything in the game. Have you played the game? Your "skills" depend on skill points that is skill challenges, the more you do the more skills you'll have, they are not tied to your level. Same goes for weapon skills, unlocking those skills happens by using the weapons, guess which one of us will use his weapon less so he will have less skills unlocked. Guess which one of us will have less skill points (because he only got a higher crappy level with his booster)  Not to mention at level 30 every player will be at max skill-wise, heck you will have the best build available at 30 if you are good enough and know what you are doing. So.. no advantage again.

Seriously if someone can do a Dynamic Event or a Dungeon a little bit faster with more skills or even better gear (remember the downscaling) is so important to you? And in WvWvW gear or even the equiped skills are of a lesser importance than battle tactics and proper play. A good team of low levels (still level 80 in WvWvW) will dominate an opposing team no matter their gear/level. It's why skill > all in GW2

here is an example of whats just going on here some people loves to buy advantage on the cash shop they dont want that to be taken, listen! it wont go away your pretty advantage will be there because thats the way they make money so no more pretending and defending it. Some people loves that and thats the people who defend that, im gonna buy advantage too but im not a lier saying that is not possible.

Well I already explained there is advantage to be gained. So go earn your "advantage" over nothing.

and btw if the thread gets close or wathever theres always another thread about the same topic that will born you know why? because theres many minds thinking the same situation.

Many trolls maybe? It's obvious you are ingoring the facts that the game is NOT Pay to Win in any way. You can continue trolling and make a new thread if this is closed that won't change the fact that you are talking garbage. You haven't posted a SINGLE reason that the shop is P2W. But I guess you never will because it's NOT PAY TO WIN. Blinded by hatred is stupid, get over it.

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565

I can link to. image

image image

That's the problem with new games they put such specifics on the 'win' condition that even when it's spelt out it's not understood. It really is like speaking a different language. An item doesn't have to have '0mfg sapping purge of pwnz0r +99' on it to be considered an exclusive item. The principle of win condition of the terms considered by many here is so irrelevent in an mmo it's not funny.

Any advantage sold in a CS that helps you progress faster or that makes you more powrful is P2W. Its funny that some dont want to understand that.

But I guess they dont want to recognize how bad things really are. A level playing field is a level playing field. It makes no difference if I am leveling, crafting, killing bosses or pvp:ing. It should not be possible to buy some item in a CS that helps. If that is possible the game is P2W...

Others can play what they want. But I think this is very reasonable. Some people really dont like games with advantage cash shops.

I will have to wait and see what they actually sell in GW2:s CS after release.

Any advantage sold in a CS that helps you progress faster or that makes you more powrful is P2W. Its funny that some dont want to understand that.

But I guess they dont want to recognize how bad things really are. A level playing field is a level playing field. It makes no difference if I am leveling, crafting, killing bosses or pvp:ing. It should not be possible to buy some item in a CS that helps. If that is possible the game is P2W...

Others can play what they want. But I think this is very reasonable. Some people really dont like games with advantage cash shops.

So being higher level than someone else (and missing half the DEs because of it) is P2W? In a game without endgame you are saying higher lvel for 1 hour (hat's what you'll get with the booster) is P2W? In a game that is all about exploration and experiencing content level means nothing. If it doesn't affect others but ONLY YOU it's not P2W. I'll level a few minutes later than you, so what?

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565
    Originally posted by seridan

So being higher level than someone else (and missing half the DEs because of it) is P2W? In a game without endgame you are saying higher lvel for 1 hour (hat's what you'll get with the booster) is P2W? In a game that is all about exploration and experiencing content level means nothing. If it doesn't affect others but ONLY YOU it's not P2W. I'll level a few minutes later than you, so what?

If you are higher level it means you are more powerful. It means you are buying power if you buy xp-potions. Of course the other players will catch up at max level. But it is still very true. If there was no reason to buy xp-potions they would not sell xp-potions. It would not be profitable....

Perhaps it affects my friends if they are trying to level as fast as me. They cant keep up if I use xp-potions.

"Win" is subjective and depends on POV and context. Perhaps it will be P2W for me and my friends. But anyone should be able to agree it is an advantage. Even if it is only temporary.

• GreenishBlueGreenishBlue Member Posts: 263

nah, it's just a way for the devs to cater to players with game addiction issues; i know people that "buy 2 win" and they still sux

• KyelthisKyelthis Member UncommonPosts: 287
    Originally posted by Hurvart
    Originally posted by seridan

If you are higher level it means you are more powerful. It means you are buying power if you buy xp-potions. Of course the other players will catch up at max level. But it is still very true. If there was no reason to buy xp-potions they would not sell xp-potions. It would not be profitable....

Perhaps it affects my friends if they are trying to level as fast as me. They cant keep up if I use xp-potions.

"Win" is subjective and depends on POV and context. Perhaps it will be P2W for me and my friends. But anyone should be able to agree it is an advantage. Even if it is only temporary.

It does grant an advantage, I doubt many will try to argue that, but it's not "P2W". That term has a different meaning and doesn't translate into this game, at least not in the current cash shop and I doubt it will in the future. People throwing that term around really need to do some homework on what it is exactly.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

This is why all subscription games are P2W.  :(

Given two people who are completely equal in all ways... they level at the same speed, they have enough free time they can play exactly 20 hours each week, they have the same amount of skill...

... the person who only pays their subscription fee half the months will be twice as slow as the person who pays their subscription fee every month.

That's a pretty clear cut case of pay to win, and it's =200%= faster for just 7.50 a month.  :( 

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645

It's not P2W, not really you have to pay that to get that faster, none of that, they get 90 percent of their profit of the game from people buying it. At max, I'll pay 2 bucks a month for gems.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• MattVidMattVid Member Posts: 399

Gear doesn't make a huge difference in the game. You should try playing it before stating stuff like this.

The game is most definitely not pay to win. Unless you mean paying your 60 dollars and winning by having so much fun :)

Higher level doesn't mean more powerful in Guild Wars 2. Weapons skills, skill challenges and proper character building are not level dependent. Also there is no "more powerful" in a game with level scaling no matter how you see it.

Maybe you missed the point that there is no grinding in GW2, you level up by enjoying yourself, not by "working". There is also no raid content at cap, it's the same game pre-endgame and after it. There is no "trying" to level up just "enjoying" content. Also remember that there is level scaling in the game, you can go back to help your friends while doing events that you missed because you leveled too fast. You won't make the content trivial in any way for them.

Nope no real advantage. It's your loss if you level fast and lose on all the events then go back there and do them realizing that you were just downleveled.

PS: This isn't a game with a race to the level cap. The point of the game is to enjoy your leveling process and not skip whole parts of it.

Edit: by your reasoning subscription based MMOs are also Pay to Win right? Someone that "pays" his sub for more months is more powerful than someone who doesn't.

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    Originally posted by MattVid

Gear doesn't make a huge difference in the game. You should try playing it before stating stuff like this.

The game is most definitely not pay to win. Unless you mean paying your 60 dollars and winning by having so much fun :)

There is no gear difference at all. If you mean the way they look yes.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• serapholseraphol Member Posts: 33

It's a lot like League of Legend's cash shop thingy, and that has made them a lot of money.

The purpose is not to make you better at the game, it's to enhance everything you already like about it. Really, the only statistical items in the game are things that make you level faster for a short time. If you think the game takes too long, then you're probably a casual player, and that's fine, WoW is very casual now, but you'll pay $15 a month for it.

But if you love the game, then you're going to feel like it's worth it to toss them a few bones from time to time to make your character prettier or travel in style, since the only other cash they got from you is when they sold you the game.

• AtriokkeAtriokke Member Posts: 13

People are so entirely shortsighted considering P2W.   The idea that power is only obtainable if and only if it is ONLY accessible on cash shop is right out laughable.  Certainly there are varying degrees of P2W, butif your definition of P2W is being able to take advantage over others with money, then cash shops that sell gold for cash(or its equivalent) in MMOs inevitably fit this definition.

Example:  A starts playing at the same time as B.  They both play the game the same amount of hours.  B has money to spare, A does not.  B proceeds to spend cash for in game gold.  B takes an advantage over A.  Most games fit this description, but their degrees of how much advantage varies game to game.   

The idea that since you can obtain it through gameplay THUS it is not P2W is ludicrous and incredibly naive.   But of course, if your definition is something other than simply taking an advantage to other players through cash then we are at odds regarding the definition. 

May the richest person win!!

• KyelthisKyelthis Member UncommonPosts: 287
    Originally posted by Atriokke

People are so entirely shortsighted considering P2W.   The idea that power is only obtainable if and only if it is ONLY accessible on cash shop is right out laughable.  Certainly there are varying degrees of P2W, butif your definition of P2W is being able to take advantage over others with money, then cash shops that sell gold for cash(or its equivalent) in MMOs inevitably fit this definition.

Example:  A starts playing at the same time as B.  They both play the game the same amount of hours.  B has money to spare, A does not.  B proceeds to spend cash for in game gold.  B takes an advantage over A.  Most games fit this description, but their degrees of how much advantage varies game to game.   

The idea that since you can obtain it through gameplay THUS it is not P2W is ludicrous and incredibly naive.   But of course, if your definition is something other than simply taking an advantage to other players through cash then we are at odds regarding the definition. 

Your example is correct, but that doesn't describe "P2W", that just describes a means of gaining an advantage by leveling slightly faster. P2W by definition is the use of a cash shop to actually "win" at a game, most of the time it's almost needed to compete, this game doesn't fit that at all.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716
    Originally posted by Atriokke

People are so entirely shortsighted considering P2W.   The idea that power is only obtainable if and only if it is ONLY accessible on cash shop is right out laughable.  Certainly there are varying degrees of P2W, butif your definition of P2W is being able to take advantage over others with money, then cash shops that sell gold for cash(or its equivalent) in MMOs inevitably fit this definition.  ... and so do subscription games.  See my previous example.  In fact, my 'person a and person b but person a has more money' example is almost identical to yours. :)

Face it, that's how MMOs work.  They're long term progression games, they want long term money, you buy power with it.  It's just how the genre is.

At least iN GW2, structured PvP is completely disconnected from how much money you spend on the game (Though how much money you spend on your internet connection and computer is still a factor, sadly).

edit:  On a side note, I assume this means you define winning as being somewhat faster in a long term game that actually has a relatively low power cap?  Does that mean once the power cap is reached, it's no longer p2w? 

it's not as clear cut as you make it sound.  Time advantage <> winning in everybody's eyes.

I think pretty much everybody is willing to say that GW2 sells convenience (ie reduced time playing), but a lot of people would argue if that actually makes you WIN.

If you're 20% faster, and it takes you 80 hours rather than 100 hours to hit cap, is that really that much of an advantage?

It's certainly not nearly as much of an advantage as being unemployed. 

I guess you could argue that the idle rich have the biggest advantage, but the unemployed have a bigger advantage than those who are well to do the old fashioned way (ie:  Working hard to get the money, and therefore have less spare time to play).

Perhaps to enforce fairness, we should revive the old FFXIV 'only level so much a day' idea.  An idea whose time has come! :)

This discussion has been closed.