Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I want to be able to change hotkey for weapon skills!!!! You?

Comments

• hundejahrehundejahre Member Posts: 339

quote: "But i already got my answer before and apparently the way the skills are unlocked and divided between hands might be the reason why i cant change skill order on the skillbar. Which is sad. But oh well."

The divided skills (main-hand and off-hand Vs. 2 handed) I could see, but the unlocks? That's no reason. It's not like you're moving "the skill", you're moving an icon and changing the key binding that both call to that skill. So switching the order they appear in the UI wouldn't require a switch in the order they unlock, who else but me cares that I now have a locked skill in the middle of 2 unlocked ones?

And even then, you can simply make it so they can't be moved until all the skills for that weapon type (and attunement for elementalists) are unlocked.

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202
    Originally posted by hundejahre

And even then, you can simply make it so they can't be moved until all the skills for that weapon type (and attunement for elementalists) are unlocked.

I wonder why Anet devs didn't think of this.

If the reason they are restricting moving skills around is only the way they are unlocked, after you unlock them all there shouldn't be a problem

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Originally posted by seridan
    Originally posted by hundejahre

I wonder why Anet devs didn't think of this.

If the reason they are restricting moving skills around is only the way they are unlocked, after you unlock them all there shouldn't be a problem

If within 3 pages of this thread we can think of a way to make it work without breaking the game, just think of how well ANet could do if they put their mind to it.

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

The layout is MOBA inspired. It's form lwoest CD to highest. Always. With every weapon. Personally I don't have any issue with it. 5 skills don't really make it hard to manage since all 5 keybinds are easily reachable anyway. Rest is just muscle memory. 

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283

Id like to change the order also. Dont really see how this harms anyone else. No doubt theyll add it some day and itll become one of those things that everyone was like, duh.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Yea it would be nice to be able to do move skills around on the hotbar once youve unloicked a weapons full skillset.

An example on why this makes no sense and why I would like to be able to move skills:  As a Rifle Warrior the optimum rotation is 4, 2, 3.  It would be nice to actually change it to 2,3,4.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

Originally posted by Ezhae

The layout is MOBA inspired. It's form lwoest CD to highest. Always. With every weapon. Personally I don't have any issue with it. 5 skills don't really make it hard to manage since all 5 keybinds are easily reachable anyway. Rest is just muscle memory. 

I dont care the order of the cool down. I care the order of what the skill does.

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522

It would certainly be nice if that's possible but I also can see why it's not that easy to implement (mechanics of unlocking skills and main hand / off hand) as some folks suggest. But I'm not that fussed tbh because I can also adapt to the game instead of having the game adapt to my wishes. We're too spoiled these days and if a studio doesn't include a feature we're used to having in every other mmo we start whining like spoiled lil brats should.

Originally posted by lilHeala

It would certainly be nice if that's possible but I also can see why it's not that easy to implement (mechanics of unlocking skills and main hand / off hand) as some folks suggest. But I'm not that fussed tbh because I can also adapt to the game instead of having the game adapt to my wishes. We're too spoiled these days and if a studio doesn't include a feature we're used to having in every other mmo we start whining like spoiled lil brats should.

Few sugestions made by posters could really work. Dont let hotkey swapping work for a weapon till you unlock all the skills. Also let you asign what hotkey each skill uses for each weapon. So for a 1h sword you can set the three skills to only hotkey 1,2,3. Then do the same for each weapon. Sheild skills only be switched on the hotbar for slot 4 and 5. Each weapon could be done in this way. 

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686

You can already change all the hotkeys for the skills. I don't see why not being able to swap them around in the bar is a big deal. Are you honestly telling me that having skill #4 in slot #1 is really going to make any difference?

I don't get why people are being so picky over the most inane things..

You won't always be using the skills in a set order anyway, so there goes your reason for having charge in skill slot #1 and any other 'order' you think you will be using in the game. That kind of thinking is just going to get you killed in GW2.

• HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773

OP definately has a point here. I was quite surprised that UI customizeability is abysmal compared to Guild Wars. I hope Anet get around to adding free resizing, placement and visibility of UI elements.

It worked in Guild Wars - Should at least be as good in GW2.

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by botrytis

In GW1 you really couldn't ulness you had a gaming keyboard. Why should you now. It is basically the same number of skills so why should it change.

Wrong.  You can move your skills around on the hotbar in GW1.  Unless you're talking about something else i don't understand?

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by Halandir

OP definately has a point here. I was quite surprised that UI customizeability is abysmal compared to Guild Wars. I hope Anet get around to adding free resizing, placement and visibility of UI elements.

It worked in Guild Wars - Should at least be as good in GW2.

Heh.  Agreed.  Especially since they're using the same engine as GW1.    The least they could do is give us two options.  Basic & Advanced.  Basic for the current setup and Advanced for those who want to customize it.

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604

Don't care if they add this. I prefer the consistancy.

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

I dont care the order of the cool down. I care the order of what the skill does.

I agree completely with what Ezhea said.  UI customizability isn't really the point here.  Iit isn't really important, and it probably makes it easier for people watching PvP from the sidelines that each weapon's skills are always in the same order.

Remember, this game has aspirations of becoming an eSport, and I hope it succeeds in that respect.

Besides, after a little bit of playing without whining about these things, you shouldn't have problems with which skill is where on your skill bar (and if you do, you can always rebind your keys).

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

Originally posted by grimm6th

I agree completely with what Ezhea said.  UI customizability isn't really the point here.  Iit isn't really important, and it probably makes it easier for people watching PvP from the sidelines that each weapon's skills are always in the same order.

Remember, this game has aspirations of becoming an eSport, and I hope it succeeds in that respect.

Besides, after a little bit of playing without whining about these things, you shouldn't have problems with which skill is where on your skill bar (and if you do, you can always rebind your keys).

When gamers ask for something its not whining because you dont agree. I feel sorry for your close minded and small view of things. 

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

When gamers ask for something its not whining because you dont agree. I feel sorry for your close minded and small view of things. 

It can be. Example - a thread on this forum about why not open world PvP in GW2. The developers said the game was not designed for it and people are still, I have no other word for it, whining.

Just because players ask for something does not mean the company has to do it. people still talking about is whining.

It can be. Example - a thread on this forum about why not open world PvP in GW2. The developers said the game was not designed for it and people are still, I have no other word for it, whining.

Just because players ask for something does not mean the company has to do it. people still talking about is whining.

Sad. As a customer you always have the right to express your mind with the company that takes your money. Funny how fan boys get offened so easly by peoples points of view that does not fit in their box.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

I think I heard about it few months back but I thought they'd fix it before launch, not good if it's intentional after the launch.

I dont have a teleport in slot 2, and I dont want it in slot 2 this time either. It's in the last slot of my hotbar under the key Q. It's not in the slot 2, even if bound to Q. It's in the last slot. That's what's up.

It's not the end of the world, but it's going to be annoying as hell having to adapt to a whole new way of controlling my char in hotbar game after playing a decade with a similar layout and setting. All because a simple little option is missing for setting up the ability layout. I'll propably do reflex-misclicks 6 months into the game with this system if I still play it at that point... /sigh

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

i don't see the problem

there are 2 situations.

the system as it is now

1) you like where they are and you cannot change the keys -- you're happy

2) you do not like the keybinds and you cannot change them -- you're unhappy

the system the OP suggests or a very similar one!

1) you like where they are and you can change the keys -- you're happy

2) you do not like the keybinds and you can change them -- you're happy

notice how only one group of people would be affected.

seems like a pretty simple suggestion to support, especially considering skills could automatically go to the skill bar as they are now and unlock the exact same way this could be implemented so that the game does not change one bit for those who do not wish to concern themselves with it.

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

Sad. As a customer you always have the right to express your mind with the company that takes your money. Funny how fan boys get offened so easly by peoples points of view that does not fit in their box.

I never said that you should stop critical analysis of features and content.  I was saying that, after saying what you don't like, preferably on the beta forums where devs are likely to read and discuss the topic, try playing the game as they are presenting it without being close minded about it.  I feel that the internal act of complaining to yourself whenever something is different than what you are use to, especially when trying to get a first impression of a game, is likely to be distracting and have a negative effect on your overall level of enjoyment of a game.  I am sure that the innability to change the position on weapon skills did not lessen your ability to play.

I don't mind if somebody doesn't agree with me on something, but I become frustrated when the difference of opinion is based on a close minded and small view of things.  This is why I decided to bring up the eSport side of the game, just as Ezhae brought up the similarity to MOBAs in general.  It was to broaden your view of things.

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• HellSingsHellSings Member Posts: 185

Not asking for huge thing IMO the ability to change where weapon skills are. I would really like to be able to put the hotkey in what order I want them. Like on the 1h sword for the guardian I would like teleport to be skill 5 not 2. Rooting skills I always put on hotkey 3. I dont get why there is no freedom in this. What do you think?

EDIT: Way it could work, say 1h sword be able to chage skill 1,2,3 to what order I want, same for 1h mace etc and with a 2h anywhere on skill 1,2,3,4 and 5. Each weapon could let you change the order for that weapon only. What logical for you may not be logical for me. Using keybinding makes it a mess for refresh timers. 

I have no problems but I don't see why not? It should be allowed in any game.

Ramanadjin - sums it up nicely, its a win-win situation.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

The way to do it would be to allow players to move unlocked weapon skills around with in the weapon bar as displayed in the weapon skills tab. To keep things clean and logical, you could only swap the order of the skills for that weapon or aff hand. So, a main hand / off hand weapon set would only allow you to move the 1-3 skills around relative to each other and swap the position of the offhand skills between 4-5. A two handed weapon could allow re-arrangement of all five skills.

Anything else would become a complete mess with the weapon skill system, so complete freedom isn't likely to ever happen.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

Originally posted by Ramanadjinn

i don't see the problem

there are 2 situations.

the system as it is now

1) you like where they are and you cannot change the keys -- you're happy

2) you do not like the keybinds and you cannot change them -- you're unhappy

the system the OP suggests or a very similar one!

1) you like where they are and you can change the keys -- you're happy

2) you do not like the keybinds and you can change them -- you're happy

notice how only one group of people would be affected.

seems like a pretty simple suggestion to support, especially considering skills could automatically go to the skill bar as they are now and unlock the exact same way this could be implemented so that the game does not change one bit for those who do not wish to concern themselves with it.

Glad someone see it. Make a sugestion and people flip out. IMO options are always good to have.

• PJonePJone Member Posts: 63

Easy solution to your problems in 3 easy steps:

1. Go to the Menu
    2. Go to Options
    3. Find Keybinds and change them
    I have a Razer Naga and changed all my bindings to various thumb panel buttons and modifier combinations. So you technically can have your teleport skill be #5, it just won't visually be there. While the argument can be used that it is not visually there, it is something that is easily gotten used to after putting enough hours into it. Hell, after playing an Elementalist for 51 levels I have a mental stopwatch of all the cooldowns for all the abilities in all 4 attunements to within 10% of them coming back up.

Again, it is not technically the same thing as being able to move them, but in all honesty, I don't click and it doesn't really matter what my bars look like to me, so long as I have memorized the keybinds, positioning is more of a cosmetic/organizational thing.