Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3: Item Hunt is Not Enough, Devs Admit

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Blizzard developer 'Bashiok' has made a startling admission on the official Diablo III forums by stating that the hunt for items, the mythical "end game", in D3 may not be enough. He goes on to further state that devs have much in store for players with the next pair of patches.

We recognize that the item hunt is just not enough for a long-term sustainable end-game. There are still tons of people playing every day and week, and playing a lot, but eventually they're going to run out of stuff to do (if they haven't already). Killing enemies and finding items is a lot of fun, and we think we have a lot of the systems surrounding that right, or at least on the right path with a few corrections and tweaks. But honestly Diablo III is not World of Warcraft. We aren't going to be able to pump out tons of new systems and content every couple months. There needs to be something else that keeps people engaged, and we know it's not there right now.

Read the post and participate in the discussion on the Diablo 3 forum.

Via Kotaku.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• and these guys make our games... no word on the recycling either. the same game on a higher setting isn't end game either imo.

edit: and i LOL so hard at this: "But honestly Diablo III is not World of Warcraft. We aren't going to be able to pump out tons of new systems and content every couple months."

• makiimakii Member Posts: 280

Sell your copy, especially if your from EU, since your allowed to. And get your money back from trash Blizzard-the sinking ship.

Screw them for selling a game in alpha state.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Remove both auction houses from the game and make the loot system work like it did in D2. Basically as I have been saying, they removed the heart and soul of what a Diablo game is all about, the loot find. When you add an auction house it takes away the thrill of the hunt. The thrill of the hunt is exciting. Being able to have access to the best gear via the auction houses is not.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

its a single player game why is everyone worried about the endgame?

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

And I thought the endgame was the same as every other single-player game: kill the last boss and either replay or don't.

Huh, silly me.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381

Hell, for me, their demo wasn't enough.   Played the Path of Exile, Torchlight 2, and Diablo 3 demos, and Diablo was definitely in third position.   Not that likely to get my dollar anytime soon.

Of course, I have no personal attachment to Diablo, having not particularly cared for the first (no idea why now) and played the second only when Diablo 3 was six months away.   This game seems to have more and more stumbling blocks in it.  It has certainly ridden on reputation though.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Hmm....PVP?

• DocSpectrumDocSpectrum Member CommonPosts: 26

And that is exactly why I'm NOT playing D3 anymore....Auction Houses spoiled it for me.  I played two classes to 60 and just couldn't start a 3rd.  Every 5 levels I would go out and totally gear out my toons from the AH.  Made it pointless to find items and got to the point where I was just selling Yellows as vendor junk.......

So sad...after waiting so long....so dissappointed....Oh Well..

Check out TorchLight 2!  It promises to provide real Diablo-type action...

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern

And I thought the endgame was the same as every other single-player game: kill the last boss and either replay or don't.

Huh, silly me.

It is a multi-player game. But not Massive multi-player. It is also a microtransaction game. So there is money they can use to create new content.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Quote:

"But honestly Diablo III is not World of Warcraft. We aren't going to be able to pump out tons of new systems and content every couple months."

What the hell kind of planet does he come from. Tons of new systems and content every couple months like WoW?

kind of gives meaning to the phrase: "Full of Shit"

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by makii

Sell your copy, especially if your from EU, since your allowed to. And get your money back from trash Blizzard-the sinking ship.

Yes, it's in Alpha state. Because after playing over 100 hours...you realize there isn't an end game. 100 hours...ONE HUNDRED HOURS!! What other games not made by the SINKING SHIP Blizzard have you played over 100 hours? Not many I presume.

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

Why should they even have to "pump out" any content at all?  It's a single player/co-op RPG you play it and you're done with it.  Or you play it and continue on the insane gear search progressing through all the difficulties.  It's exactly the same content as Diablo 2 except they've added an AH.  Which, if you don't like and ruins the game for you, you can choose not to use.  If I had to guess I'd say the same number of people who just played through D3 one time and put it down is pretty similar to all the people that just played through D2 and it's expansion once and called it a day.

There's obviously plans for PvP to be added and besides that I'm fine with waiting for an expansion for more content.  Games can just be games they don't have to be a service.

Steam: Neph

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

A auction house system in D3? it still makes no sesne to me. and the best part is, the fans wanting D3 allowed blizzard to get away with it just so they could play it as fast as possible. you only have your self to blame D3 people.

Blizzard is like a troll now, the more you feed them (your money) the more of a free pass they have keep trolling you.

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

You can honestly see the obvious flaw in their design choices with this article. They believe that there is actual "End Game" associated with a game originally played as a SinglePlayer entity. Somehow they thought making it online-Only DRM somehow made it into an MMO?

No wonder the WoWkids jumped all over Diablo3 while the Diablo 1 & 2 veterans stood back shaking our heads.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• nhatnhat Member UncommonPosts: 166

Ehhh most people only played 80-100 hrs on D2. This game is NOT a MMO, its an ARPG so why is blizzard caring so much for sustainable end game?

• Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365
    Wtf, the d series has end game other than repeating the same content on higher difficulties and hoping to get the loot you want.... Is there more to the end than that, or am I missing something about this series?
  • TyvolusTyvolus Member Posts: 190

Originally posted by Psychow

Originally posted by makii Sell your copy, especially if your from EU, since your allowed to. And get your money back from trash Blizzard-the sinking ship. Screw them for selling a game in alpha state.
      Yes, it's in Alpha state. Because after playing over 100 hours...you realize there isn't an end game. 100 hours...ONE HUNDRED HOURS!! What other games not made by the SINKING SHIP Blizzard have you played over 100 hours? Not many I presume.
     Pac-Man, Star Raiders, Asteroids, Missle Command, EverQuest, RIFT, Lineage 2, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, Neverwinter Nights, Guild Wars, AION, WarHammer 40k, Company of Heroes...I could go on and on and on and on...But I think I made my point crystal clear.  
  • UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540
    Originally posted by Psychow
    Originally posted by makii

I've got something like 250hrs logged with Terraria.  Spent $10 on that.  But for something with a closer comparison, I've played close to 2000hrs with Titan Quest (IT).  I spent maybe $80 on that because I bought both games twice, the second time on Steam.

100hrs ain't impressive for a title with D3's history and pedigree.  In fact, it's pathetic.  Just to put things into perspective.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

I believe what he really means is:

We have to come up with a better way to keep you dumb consumer's playing and buying things from the RMAH

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565
    Originally posted by nhat

Ehhh most people only played 80-100 hrs on D2. This game is NOT a MMO, its an ARPG so why is blizzard caring so much for sustainable end game?

There is something called the RMAH...

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Keep dangling that carrot in front of their faces, Blizzard.

You guys are psychological genisus'.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425
    Originally posted by DocSpectrum

And that is exactly why I'm NOT playing D3 anymore....Auction Houses spoiled it for me.  I played two classes to 60 and just couldn't start a 3rd.  Every 5 levels I would go out and totally gear out my toons from the AH.  Made it pointless to find items and got to the point where I was just selling Yellows as vendor junk.......

So sad...after waiting so long....so dissappointed....Oh Well..

Check out TorchLight 2!  It promises to provide real Diablo-type action...

First of all, you have yourself and only yourself to blame for abusing the Auction house. 

Second Torchlight 2 is nothing like Diablo 1 or 2... hell TL1 was worse than D2. 

If you really want something similar to Diablo 1 & 2 check out Path of Exile or Grim Dawn.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• yodablazeyodablaze Member Posts: 234

The game is even better than I expected and for good reason.

1. This isn't a real mmorpg. It is a one player RPG that happens to have multiplayer features. For such a game they have done an awesome job.

2. No monthly fees although you can play online at anytime with other players, you never have to spend a dime on subs.

3. Auction house doesn't kill the loot system. I actually have a great time selling my useless gear for gold and then putting the best useless gear up for auction. The extra gold I get allows me to get a few rare pieces in the auction house but most of my good gear are earned in game. I can't imagine spending real cash for gear, lol, (but good luck to those who do).

4. Most RPGs or dungeon crawlers are only meant to be played through once. Blizzard created a dungeon crawler that can be played years to come and they are trying hard to make it a game to return to over and over again even now. D3 was and is more than worth the money I paid for the game and then some. I have no idea what some players are crying about.

*It would be nice to include some type of PVP system that earns you honor that leads to exclusive gear but that might be a bit much to ask for.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425
    Originally posted by yodablaze

The game is even better than I expected and for good reason.

1. This isn't a real mmorpg. It is a one player RPG that happens to have multiplayer features. For such a game they have done an awesome job.

2. No monthly fees although you can play online at anytime with other players, you never have to spend a dime on subs.

3. Auction house doesn't kill the loot system. I actually have a great time selling my useless gear for gold and then putting the best useless gear up for auction. The extra gold I get allows me to get a few rare pieces in the auction house but most of my good gear are earned in game. I can't imagine spending real cash for gear, lol, (but good luck to those who do).

4. Most RPGs or dungeon crawlers are only meant to be played through once. Blizzard created a dungeon crawler that can be played years to come and they are trying hard to make it a game to return to over and over again even now. D3 was and is more than worth the money I paid for the game and then some. I have no idea what some players are crying about.

*It would be nice to include some type of PVP system that earns you honor that leads to exclusive gear but that might be a bit much to ask for.

Highlighted in Orange. 

No they are not. The action Rpg is known for high replayability with its higher difficulties, Procedurally generated content and constent item farming. Do you think it took players 10+ years to get through Diablo 2? They made hundreds of characters, farmed epic rare loot and played on the highest difficulties. 

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• razrwolfrazrwolf Member Posts: 7

Worked just fine for the other Diablo games. Although, come to think of it D2 did have things like Uber and what not, but im pretty sure that was a later addition anyways.

But it annoys the shit out of me when people bitch and moan about the Auction House when its OPTIONAL. If you use the auction house and then complain about it ruining the game later its your own damn fault. Grab some friends, hop on Skype/TS3/Vent, and enjoy yourselves.