Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I want to be able to change hotkey for weapon skills!!!! You?

NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,606

Not asking for huge thing IMO the ability to change where weapon skills are. I would really like to be able to put the hotkey in what order I want them. Like on the 1h sword for the guardian I would like teleport to be skill 5 not 2. Rooting skills I always put on hotkey 3. I dont get why there is no freedom in this. What do you think?

EDIT: Way it could work, say 1h sword be able to chage skill 1,2,3 to what order I want, same for 1h mace etc and with a 2h anywhere on skill 1,2,3,4 and 5. Each weapon could let you change the order for that weapon only. What logical for you may not be logical for me. Using keybinding makes it a mess for refresh timers. 

Comments

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

I also want to move my keybinds and skills around based on my own preference. People may argue that it's more difficult to do in this game, but in my opinion it's completely possible and should be done without a doubt. Particularly since they don't have addons available.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

I really could care less.  I think you should just learn and adapt.  What happens when you get a new weapon type and your reading the skills to select what slot you get and some monster kills you while you are pissing around.  I know, I know stupid situational example.  Anyways, just learn and adapt.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,606
    Originally posted by Badaboom

I really could care less.  I think you should just learn and adapt.  What happens when you get a new weapon type and your reading the skills to select what slot you get and some monster kills you while you are pissing around.  I know, I know stupid situational example.  Anyways, just learn and adapt.

Really just asking for what every MMO lets you do. Select where you put what skill on your hotbar where you want it. Been doing this for 14 years, 3 is always root or AE stun. Why should I adapt when every MMO lets you have this small freedom?

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

In GW1 you really couldn't ulness you had a gaming keyboard. Why should you now. It is basically the same number of skills so why should it change.

Originally posted by botrytis

In GW1 you really couldn't ulness you had a gaming keyboard. Why should you now. It is basically the same number of skills so why should it change.

I like to put skills where I want them, thats why. Can I ask what the big deal would be if ANet let us? Or is thers something I dont understand about the game?

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by Badaboom

Really just asking for what every MMO lets you do. Select where you put what skill on your hotbar where you want it. Been doing this for 14 years, 3 is always root or AE stun. Why should I adapt when every MMO lets you have this small freedom?

Because you must have noticed how you learn new skills in the game, in a specific order. That's why you can't move them around. They added the ability for keybindings I didn't check but can you change the order? Like pressing 3 fires skill 4 and pressing 4 fires skill 3?

Edit <answer below>

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

You can change hotkey for skills, but you can't rearrange first 5 skills.

So you can make key 1 to activate skill 3, but you can't move skill 3 to slot 1.

I don't care because they are arranged in logical order depending on first hand weapon and offhand.

• Batak_KillerBatak_Killer Member UncommonPosts: 393

Didnt they add key bindings in the last beta? For like anything in the game?

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i want to change the order of my weapon skills on the skillbar every time i swap a weapon set. Also key binding different keys on my keyboard and mouse buttons for skills and utility.

That is a MUST in any mmorpg.

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202
    Originally posted by rojo6934

i want to change the order of my weapon skills on the skillbar every time i swap a weapon set. Also key binding different keys on my keyboard and mouse buttons for skills and utility.

You can already bind your weapon skills and utility skills to your mouse/keyboard. What you can't do is change the order. That's because of how the skills are, Main Hand + Off Hand, and the way you unlock them

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

Originally posted by Batak_Killer

Didnt they add key bindings in the last beta? For like anything in the game?

Keybindings would not work for me with this. Checking refresh times would get confusing and each weapon set does not have the same skills. I would just like to put them in a logical order for me. 

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

They are already where I would put them anyways so i don´t care...

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by Loke666

That is very fortunate for you.

In my case, I wanted to swap similar styes of CC so that I could groove with it better. Basically, there was a similar skill on 4 (which I was able to change to my normal/natural way of playing) that was also on skill 3 for another weapon. I would have preffered to put both similar skills on the same button. I am definitely able to compensate and get used to it over time, but I don't see a reason why they can't allow me greater customization in this case.

Originally posted by colddog04
    Originally posted by Loke666

That is very fortunate for you.

In my case, I wanted to swap similar tyes of CC so that I could groove with it better. Basically, there was a similar skill on 4 (which I was able to change to my normal/natural way of playing) that was also on skill 3 for another weapon. I would have preffered to put both similar skills on the same button. I am definitely able to copensate and get used to it over time, but I see o reason why they can't allow me greater customization in this case.

Ya thats my problem. On one weapon set PBAE is on 3 and on another its 2.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

Not really.

As people said - your skills are already setup logically and you learn them in progression. Same with your other skills.

You can bind them to any key, with a gaming keyborard - what is the big deal?

• ECGangelECGangel Member UncommonPosts: 39
    Originally posted by seridan

You can already bind your weapon skills and utility skills to your mouse/keyboard. What you can't do is change the order. That's because of how the skills are, Main Hand + Off Hand, and the way you unlock them

best response given thus far

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

They designed it how they did to be exactly useful how it is.  Plus, it's the unlock order as well.  This is the easiest, most fitting set up there is.  Deal with it or don't play it.  Sorry, but A.Net had said that they had a reason for their UI set up and are not going to change it to tune of ranting "quazi-fans" who want only what their old game had and cannot adapt to this new setup.

Originally posted by seridan

ah well at least with key binding i dont have to worry too much about skill order. A good mapping here and there should do the trick :)

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620

i just want to be able to costumize more the UI. the order of skills i dont care because i would put all on same order, but i would like to change the UI a bit.

for example i have a logitech G700 and i use the 4 thumb button ti activate 2-3-4-5 weapon skills (LRB is the skill 1). because the layout of G700 button i would love to be able to put 2-3-4-5 skill with same mouse layout on GW2 UI: 2 columns and 2 lines.

i want be able to increase size of conditions icons and to move them where i want.  top left screen for boons and top right screen for conditions, all with big icons (like 5 times bigger that the ones we see now)

• korat102korat102 Member Posts: 313

I really do like GW2 and I'm really looking forward to playing it but I have to agree with the OP here. Players SHOULD be able to set their UI up any way they want. Personally I think the game is good enough for me to adapt to it but that shouldn't be necessary in a modern game.

• Skarecrow7Skarecrow7 Member UncommonPosts: 339

I can see where you are coming from OP, it is just with how the skills get unlocked, and how the main hand / off hand works, it seems like it would be a big deal for them to be able to change that.  No offense but it seems like that would be more of something they could look into later on after release and what not.

Not really.

As people said - your skills are already setup logically and you learn them in progression. Same with your other skills.

Because I would like to change it for each weapon. Say 1h  weapons be able to chage skill 1,2,3 to what order I want and with a 2h anywhere on skill 1,2,3,4 and 5. Each weapon could let you change the order for that weapon only. What logical for you may not be logical for me. Using keybinding makes it a mess for refresh timers. 

• hundejahrehundejahre Member Posts: 339

I voted yes, although I'd be happy to accept a limitation that main-hand skills never move to off-hand skill slots and vice versa.

Over all I'm pretty happy with the layout, but there have been times where I'd wished skills 2 & 3 or 4 & 5 were swapped. Not a huge detail, but more UI customization isn't a bad thing.

Not really.

the big deal is that the logic used to set them up is the ANETs logic, not my logic. I prefer to have my specific order of skills for example. I always like to start a fight with a charge!!!!!!! set on skill slot 1. In GW2 its like number 4 or 5 on weapons that have a charge skill. i use skills in order so i prefer to set my own preference. Same applies to stuns, damage over times, heals, buffs and chanelled skills. That is my big deal

But i already got my answer before and apparently the way the skills are unlocked and divided between hands might be the reason why i cant change skill order on the skillbar. Which is sad. But oh well.

Originally posted by Nanfoodle

Not really.

Because I would like to change it for each weapon. Say 1h  weapons be able to chage skill 1,2,3 to what order I want and with a 2h anywhere on skill 1,2,3,4 and 5. Each weapon could let you change the order for that weapon only. What logical for you may not be logical for me. Using keybinding makes it a mess for refresh timers. 

that also makes sense. being able to change skill order within the same "hand" skill set.