Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The camera in GW2 is truly awful.

coretestercoretester Member Posts: 64

how are people not upset about it? It's the least responsive, most clunky and dreadful camera I have ever experienced in an MMORPG so far.  World of Warcraft, EvE, SWG (from memory), AoC, Warhammer, Global Agenda, Phantasy Star Online 2, TERA online and just about any MMORPG I have ever played have all had far smoother and more responsive camera work when moving your character around. PvPing while trying to look around you to increase your awareness is painful. It feels so incredibly clunky, like i'm turning a damn truck. [mod edit]

But maybe it's just me...

Comments

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

It's too close and they said they were addressing it. That's why I am personally not freaking out.

• coretestercoretester Member Posts: 64
    Originally posted by colddog04

It's too close and they said they were addressing it. That's why I am personally not freaking out.

I'm not talking about the distance from your character as that has already... uh nvm cant say, but ye that's not it. It's how clunky the camera feels when moving it around freely as you run. like when you look behind you and just generally around you. also from memory there is no way to remove the auto snapback it does when you release it. for example when you want to continue looking behind you without holding buttons down to do so. this optiion is usually present in most modern mmorpgs.

• CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657

The only thing that I didn't like is the range other than that its fine for me.

Originally posted by coretester

I'm not talking about the distance from your character as that has already... uh nvm cant say, but ye that's not it. It's how clunky the camera feels when moving it around freely as you run. like when you look behind you and just generally around you. also from memory there is no way to remove the auto snapback it does when you release it. for example when you want to continue looking behind you without holding buttons down to do so. this optiion is usually present in most modern mmorpgs.

Oh yeah... I don't like auto-snapback either. They need to have it as an option in my opinion. It's basically one of the most important things they can do for PvP.

PS: I don't know if they have that option or not. But if they don't, it's time to speak up for it as it's incredibly important for me as well.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

Only time I was unhappy with the controls was in the Tomb Raider dungeon.

Other than that I never noticed any difference about the camera compared to other games.

Harbinger of Fools
  • wutaewutae Member UncommonPosts: 74

EDIT: NVM i dont even know why i am bothering with people like you.

The tip for
    The win is
    cooperation.

• NeferaNefera Member Posts: 426

Oh yeah... I don't like auto-snapback either. They need to have it as an option in my opinion. It's basically one of the most important things they can do for PvP.

PS: I don't know if they have that option or not. But if they don't, it's time to speak up for it as it's incredibly important for me as well.

Agreed on this, it's definitely needed either as an option or removed. That along with not being able to zoom far enough isn't exactly making me feel great while playing this - thankfully not to the extent of motion sickness from FPS games, but enough to give me a headache after playing for a while.

I know they can do the camera right, just snap GW1 camera on it and I'd be perfectly happy. They've done it before, they can do it again. I recall seeing fairly long threads about this on beta forums as well, fairly sure they have heard the message. If they haven't, we better remind them when the beta forums are up next. ;)

Originally posted by wutae

[mod edit]

Do you happen to have a link or are you talking out of your ass. I tend to be pretty solid at finding things and I've taken appoximately 10 minutes looking for it.

• megera23megera23 Member UncommonPosts: 239

As someone who's never noticed said "snap back", I'm curious. Do you use the left mouse button or the right one to rotate the camera?

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620

yap they need to change camera, give more option. arenanet already say they will adress this on official forum so dont worry

• friednietzfriednietz Member Posts: 118
    Originally posted by megera23

As someone who's never noticed said "snap back", I'm curious. Do you use the left mouse button or the right one to rotate the camera?

Right mouse button.

And yeah, the camera control and field of view need improvement.

Edit: I made a silly mistake. It's the right, not the left mouse button.

• megera23megera23 Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Originally posted by friednietz
    Originally posted by megera23

Left mouse button.

And yeah, the camera control and field of view need improvement.

Well, let's hope they will improve things, for those of you who are bothered by these issues. :) I must be really oblivious to those stuff or something. xD

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522

how are people not upset about it?

Upset? No

On my wishlist? Definitely

It's certainly playable for me and doesn't feel too clunky, admittedly took me some getting used to but I can live with it until they get around to giving that option to disable the "snap back cam".

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

They also said a first person camera is in their to-do list. That would also be a great addition if only for taking landscape screenshots :P

Edit: There was talk about a "proper" 3rd person camera, turning without keeping right-mouse button pressed etc. I don't know if they are working on it though

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• NaeviusNaevius Member UncommonPosts: 334

I'd like to have a wider field of view, but otherwise no complaints except maybe the degree to which you can zoom out.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

I thought this was addressed between the 2 beta weekends? There was a ton of negative feedback on this topic after the first one, but I didn't see it as much after the second one. 

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

how are people not upset about it? It's the least responsive, most clunky and dreadful camera I have ever experienced in an MMORPG so far.  World of Warcraft, EvE, SWG (from memory), AoC, Warhammer, Global Agenda, Phantasy Star Online 2, TERA online and just about any MMORPG I have ever played have all had far smoother and more responsive camera work when moving your character around. PvPing while trying to look around you to increase your awareness is painful. It feels so incredibly clunky, like i'm turning a damn truck. [mod edit]

But maybe it's just me...

You joined just for this rant?   One that's so far over-the-top that there's not any real point in responding.   The worst camera ever?   Please.   I've played most of those games you've mentioned.    This camera isn't any worse than most of them, all of which have strengths and weaknesses in camera control and positioning.

I bet the real issue is that it's not WoW camera.     WoW camera does a lot of things well.  But not everything as it's often hyper-sensitive which can cause huge tracking /shifting issues.

• StriderXedStriderXed Member Posts: 257

The main issue I have with the camera is when it skyrockets to the top of the screen when you try to move it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ6pWq_y2xw&feature=player_detailpage#t=136s

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065
    Originally posted by StriderXed

The main issue I have with the camera is when it skyrockets to the top of the screen when you try to move it.

Yeah, I definitely had a problem with that issue and it definitely has to be fixed. But I don't feel like it's detrimental to my overall enjoyment of the game. Just that I'll struggle with PvP, until it's fixed.

But really, instead of raging on these forums the OP needs to do something productive and actually bring this up in the beta forums. That way the devs can actually fix it, like they've done with numerous other features (key-bind modifiers anyone).

• Originally posted by lilHeala

how are people not upset about it?

Upset? No

On my wishlist? Definitely

It's certainly playable for me and doesn't feel too clunky, admittedly took me some getting used to but I can live with it until they get around to giving that option to disable the "snap back cam".

I mostly come down here.  Also there are cases where I get no transparency and can't see anything because some wall or other obstruction moves my camera in real close.

But none of it makes it unusable or unpleasant for seeing things.  I functioned just fine for the most part.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by wutae

<Smiles>

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• StrixMaximaStrixMaxima Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Originally posted by StriderXed

This did happen to me too. Not so frequent in BWE 2, but it would occasionally glitch. It is a known issue, and I expect it to be eliminated when they sort out the camera options.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

My only complaint about the camera is that it can't be zoomed into first-person mode so I can take screenshots.  That's it.  It hasn't adversely affected my gameplay in the slightest.  Maybe I'm just better able to adapt to this "awful" camera than the OP.

• DollMighty8313DollMighty8313 Member Posts: 179

I believe they sait that they were goign to be addressing the whole camera issue.

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620

mouse icon  is another thing need to be correct. most of tim isnt on screen and when is there is hard to see, for classes with lot ground target skills that want use instant cast  this is a nightmare