Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you chosen your server yet?

andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970

I have not, so lets make a poll. 

Comments

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

If there's an RP server, i'll probably go to that one. If not, the one with the best rankings in WVW. Hopefully, i'd be both.

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

We don't even know which servers will be available at release. Unless you are asking for BWE3 (they should have the same servers) then I say yes

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• ShojuShoju Member UncommonPosts: 776

Nope.   I will wait for the list of launch servers to go live.

• NeferaNefera Member Posts: 426
    @FredomSekerZ there are unofficial RP servers on EU and American sides, there's a list on GW2guru forums that has some sort of compilation of where different guilds are going, and which servers were Rp (unofficially).
  • lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522

I'll wait for a final list of servers that will be available at launch.

During the BWE's I've been on Far Shiverpeaks and I liked it but I have no clue how it compares to other servers (except that we owned every single cap point of the WvW worlds when matched against Underworld and another server I forgot) or who from the BWE's will also choose it at launch etc. so I'll also try to find some infos on wich guilds roll on which live server before making my final choice.

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

For a guildless person it makes no sense to choose a server now. You have no idea which guilds will settle where and you might end up on a mainly scandinavian server as an italian player for example just because you choose now. 

Only organised guilds should preemptively choose a server to make sure their members all get on the same one. Everyone is better of waiting and seeing which guilds flock to which server.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

For now I've been playing Sorrow's Furnace for beta weekends. At release I'll go wherever the DAOC vets, and pvper's go.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

I will choose the one my guild (DvDF) plays on - plain and simple.

• korat102korat102 Member Posts: 313

I haven't joined a guild (yet?) so I'll just choose a server with what looks like a name I can live with and see how it goes. It's possible to change server so it's not a *huge* choice.

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

There's several issues that I've come to find with server choices:

1) West Coast.....I'm not getting stuck on a server with East Coast priorities.  For example, during the first and 2nd BWE's I got recruited into a Beta guild that has a full fledge that wanted to invite me for launch.  But, their East Prime Time, which is a 3hr difference and when they run stuff at say 6pm or 8pm, that's 3pm or 5pm here respectively (and work time to boot).

2) Server listing names, do we have it yet?  I want to represent a cool sounding server, especially if that's all that pop's up dring WvWvW.

• StrixMaximaStrixMaxima Member UncommonPosts: 865

Yes, I have chosen a server. Since I'll play with a small group of friends, I have no worries about the rest of the population and their time schedule.

• BijouBijou Member UncommonPosts: 145

Yes, I'mma play on [EU] Underworld because I like the server's name. :P I'll have plenty of time to look for a guild once I'm in game.

• xalvixalvi Member Posts: 329
    Originally posted by Siphaed

1) West Coast.....I'm not getting stuck on a server with East Coast priorities.  For example, during the first and 2nd BWE's I got recruited into a Beta guild that has a full fledge that wanted to invite me for launch.  But, their East Prime Time, which is a 3hr difference and when they run stuff at say 6pm or 8pm, that's 3pm or 5pm here respectively (and work time to boot).

2) Server listing names, do we have it yet?  I want to represent a cool sounding server, especially if that's all that pop's up dring WvWvW.

Yes i agree. After BWE3 i will make a thread on their offical forums (suggestions) saying that they will need to give us a good catogory of server listing such as 

Server 1 - PVP, East coast, High population

Server 2 - RP, West coast , Medium population

and the list goes on, those three aspects is a must when choosing a server and i really hope they get it right so we can all pick the right servers for us.

Originally posted by xalvi

Yes i agree. After BWE3 i will make a thread on their offical forums (suggestions) saying that they will need to give us a good catogory of server listing such as 

and the list goes on, those three aspects is a must when choosing a server and i really hope they get it right so we can all pick the right servers for us.

I really don't want that either.  See, I want an official unoffical West Coast Server.  But, if Arena.Net actually posts as such, it'll be invaded by poor latency Austrialians and Oceanic players.  This happends a lot.  I want to play with Californians, Oregonians, Washitonians (?), and the like from the West of the Rockies to the Coast, but no further.

For sure, whatever "Unofficial Oceanic Server" there is going to be, I'm going to avoid it like the plague.

• xalvixalvi Member Posts: 329

I really don't want that either.  See, I want an official unoffical West Coast Server.  But, if Arena.Net actually posts as such, it'll be invaded by poor latency Austrialians and Oceanic players.  This happends a lot.  I want to play with Californians, Oregonians, Washitonians (?), and the like from the West of the Rockies to the Coast, but no further.

For sure, whatever "Unofficial Oceanic Server" there is going to be, I'm going to avoid it like the plague.

Whose to say that they wont put Oceanic server? I'm not sure why the aussies/oceanic players would want to go to a US west coast server tbh lol. I was thinking somthing along the line like this:

Server 1 - east...

server 2 - west....

server 3 - oceanic....

server 4 - EU....

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

Waiting really to see which servers get the most "popular" by the competitive scene. I'd like to roll on a server with Old competitive gamers,  not this new scene ... just need to keep watching were they land.

• NeferaNefera Member Posts: 426

Whose to say that they wont put Oceanic server? I'm not sure why the aussies/oceanic players would want to go to a US west coast server tbh lol. I was thinking somthing along the line like this:

Server 1 - east...

server 2 - west....

server 3 - oceanic....

server 4 - EU....

I think the Aussies/Oceanic have already claimed Sea of Sorrows as their unofficial Oceanic server.

• megera23megera23 Member UncommonPosts: 239

And that right here is old-school MMO mentality, which isn't very good for GW2.

Actually some of the large guilds already figured out that they want to have people from Oceania/EU in their alliances etc, because they will hold stuff for them in WvW during the night/work hours. And for everything else you can use the Guest feature.

Originally posted by megera23

Actually some of the large guilds already figured out that they want to have people from Oceania/EU in their alliances etc, because they will hold stuff for them in WvW during the night/work hours. And for everything else you can use the Guest feature.

It's not "old school mentality", it's proper logic.  The connection between a server here in the US to a person in Australia is that of an extra 100-200+latency.  This is bad.  Especially the case when it comes to this game's action-style combat.    Sure WvWvW may benifit from a night-watch, but not one with a bad connection that starts to come into the later parts of prime time. 

Why is it "bad" to want to play with people from your time zone, and strictly that, so that there's no issues with lacking players during prime, other players invading in off-prime, and the worse:  Latentcy issues?   That's not some "evil" request, it's normal.  I'm sure Europeans don't want people from West Coast USA connecting with a 500+ ping trying to WvWvW or sPvP or what have you on their servers.  Well, same for USA people for Oceanic.

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522

Server 1 - east...

server 2 - west....

server 3 - oceanic....

server 4 - EU....

There's a difference between servers and the datacenters they're located in.

Since there's separate NA and EU datacenters, there's already a division between EU servers and NA servers that makes already 1 item on your list obsolete if it refers to a server rather than a datacenter. Depending on the amount of players it might be a good idea to add an APAC datacenter instead of having them choose between many hours difference in either direction.

• megera23megera23 Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Originally posted by megera23

It's not "old school mentality", it's proper logic.  The connection between a server here in the US to a person in Australia is that of an extra 100-200+latency.  This is bad.  Especially the case when it comes to this game's action-style combat.    Sure WvWvW may benifit from a night-watch, but not one with a bad connection that starts to come into the later parts of prime time. 

Why is it "bad" to want to play with people from your time zone, and strictly that, so that there's no issues with lacking players during prime, other players invading in off-prime, and the worse:  Latentcy issues?   That's not some "evil" request, it's normal.  I'm sure Europeans don't want people from West Coast USA connecting with a 500+ ping trying to WvWvW or sPvP or what have you on their servers.  Well, same for USA people for Oceanic.

As an European I can tell you that I don't personally care whether I get to play with people from Africa or the Middle East or NA or wherever. *shrugs* And 500 ping... really? Most people from EU that play on the NA servers usually get under 200 ping, which while not perfect is far from unplayable or a disadvantage in anything but sPvP. And even that didn't seem to affect people in GW1 (which while not action-y, required very fast reaction time for interrupting 1s cast time skills, proper spikes etc). The PvP was completely global and I remember my guildies waking up early on weekends so they'd get to play against Korean teams, since they were some of the best PvPers.

• BrorzBrorz Member Posts: 9
    Originally posted by Shoju

Nope.   I will wait for the list of launch servers to go live.

Same here, will wait untill launch to check which EU servers there are.

• KetillKetill Member Posts: 19

Not yet. A couple forums I frequent have set up guilds but I'm not really excited about their server choices. I'm a little concerned right now that a few NA servers are going to be completely packed at release and if I join a guild there I won't even get to play. So right now I'm waiting to see what happens during BWE3. If it happens again that a few servers are completely full maybe some guilds will choose to relocate for release (or I'll just have to pick a server on my own I guess).