Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: Five Surprising Things About The Secret World

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

In this week's The List, we're taking a look at five things that surprised us about The Secret World.

While character creation is poor, and this is almost painfully ironic, the breadth and quality of outfits to dress your ugly bastard up in are almost unmatched. There are simply tons of clothing options to pick and choose from in The Secret World, both in and out of the in-game cash shop.

Once Funcom expands on their character creation options (currently targeted for the end of August), The Secret World could possibly have some of the coolest looking characters on the MMO scene.

Read more of Michael Bitton's The List: Five Surprising Things About The Secret World.

Comments

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

I played in the closed beta and didn't like the intro to the game. Starting up the launch client, I didn't have big hopes, but it was actually very good now, really highlighting what the Dragons are about and giving them some depth.

What surprised me the most about TSW is that I actually sit and listen to the NPC's instead of skipping. It's partly because you get vital information for some quests and also because I think it's actually really well written, the NPC's ranging from a bit depressive, to amusing to outright funny.

• ElethonElethon Member UncommonPosts: 138

TSW uses some really great art/assests for it's quest items. When you have to pick up a map or check someone's notes, the item you see looks like a map or someone's notes. Infinitley better than some text in a quest window which sadly is the norm.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Originally posted by Elethon

TSW uses some really great art/assests for it's quest items. When you have to pick up a map or check someone's notes, the item you see looks like a map or someone's notes. Infinitley better than some text in a quest window which sadly is the norm.

Yes! This too! It really helps sell the quests. Should have added it in to the article. :)

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

I played the first closed beta but just couldn't get into it admittedly because the game was just so different it was a bit of a shock.

Early access started and I thought what the hell (already purchased the game) and as you mention the game has improved a lot from beta. I've been pleasantly surprised by just how well the launch went and secondly how polished the graphics are. If you have a DX11 card your're in for a real treat, the tessellation on surfaces is amazing and TXAA will be implemented soon.

Really the only issues I'm having is a few bugged quests which is a pain but I can live with them as Funcom has been fast to patch the initial bugged ones. 

It's early days yet but it's a breath of fresh air in the crowded MMO space that's for sure and I'm starting to wonder if this may be a sleeper hit because it's so different. 

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Really enjoying the game. I'm not going to lie. I didn't have the highest of hopes for this game for several reasons when I first heard about it but overall I think it is a great game.

Character creation is definitely the biggest downfall though. It is simply awful how little you have available.

On a good note, best story themed content I have seen in an mmo. They really hit the mark in this area and the lore of the game.

Not sure if it is a long term venue but definitely worth checking out and playing least for a couple months. Glad to see they didn't pull a massive launch failure like they did with AOC.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

The whole game surprises me.  Especially when I come across challenging quests or a tough fight and I have to really dig in and "think" about what I'm doing.  It changes the playing field in so many ways when that happens.  Granted, this probably pushes certain people away, but for me, it's delivered so well I just HAVE to keep trying that investigation quest or finding the right build to mow down mobs in certain areas.  

When people mention "depth" in an MMO this game is the epitome of it.  The crafting, combat and quests are very deep.  I truly hope this game leaves it's mark on the industry and starts changing the WoW status quo(great game but it's time to move on and add more DEPTH) gametype we've seen in the past 8 years.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Game has been great so far..

Awesome launch with only a few little bugs..

• CordezCordez Member Posts: 6

I'm really enjoying the game! My two cents...Story and missions are intresting and occasionally challenging. Some are a little buggy which is annoying as your never sure if its a bug or you've missed a clue. While facial features and height weight are limited i found the creation tool acceptable. The choice of outfits are good, although a lack of good mens trousers (for the look i'm going for). Client is fairly stable, odd crash here or there. Combat is fairly enjoyable although can get a little repeatative, which i'm sure will change as i get more skills to swap in and out. The lack of speech for your character in dialog scenes is a little frustraighting but funcom do make some amuzing references to this fact in the npc dialog. 

Keep up the good work funcom.

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    Loving every minute of it! Already this game surprises me to the point that no other mmo can compare that is on the market!
    I just LOVE the research of their quests , and the style of game play is beyond epic. I agree character customization needs work though.
  • marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912

If you start an article in a negative manner, you're automatically creating the reader's mood for the rest of it. Think about that next time you write about what are supposed to be "5 Surprising" aka "5 PLEASENT" things about an MMO.

I felt like I should stop reading in the beginning because it was so negative at first. You did turn it around nicely but still...the beginning is a turn off.

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

A builder and a finisher with 5 other situational skills that have overly long cool downs. Yeah that's deep.

Combat that is not just boring to play but even to watch. If you close your eyes you wouldn't be able to tell from the sounds if you were facing the mod and hitting it or turned away and missing. The animations of the skills and how they interact with the mods is bad.

I don't care for "we all dress the same" in pvp. That's not deep.

The skill wheel which is made up of many useless and similar skills isn't deep.

The game has levels. It has gear levels. A level 0 ap is not taking out a level 10.

Funcon did some things right, but they shouldn't be let off the hook for what they failed at.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by Ryowulf

A builder and a finisher with 5 other situational skills that have overly long cool downs. Yeah that's deep.

That's not deep.  The deep part is that while you have that, I have:  ST Builder, ST Weap 1 Finisher, AE Builder, AE Weap 1 Finisher, AE Weap 2 finisher and 2 skills with short but complementary cooldowns that result in one of them always being up.

If you can do the last boss in Inferno blind, you seriously need to buy yourself a cape and start saving the world in your spare time.  The same applies for most of the challenging fights.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• potacopotaco Member Posts: 82

One thing that has probably allowed me to enjoy this game more than any other factor: I didn't follow the game hardly at all during its development. I knew about the general atmosphere and something called an "ability wheel", but that was about it. I hadn't overhyped it to myself, so I had no expectations. I pre-ordered to get a "free trial" of sorts through the Early Access period and was pleasantly surprised by what I found. 

The investigation quests alone make this game stand out among other MMOs. Sure, you could follow a walkthrough or otherwise look up the answers... but solving them yourself is really quite rewarding.

My biggest concern is the replayability. Once you've gone through all the missions, there aren't really any more surprises.... as far as I can tell, it's all about repeating missions running dungeons to make out your xp/skills, and participating in PVP, which wasn't overly impressive at lower levels.

Overall, I think it warrants a purchase. I wouldn't spring for the lifetime membership, but it's a unique experience and there's definitely enough here to last a few months.

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by Ryowulf

I don't care for "we all dress the same" in pvp. That's not deep.

What do uniforms have to do with depth in any way? I love the idea actually. It gives a far greater connection to your faction, but a greater variety of uniforms would be nice too.

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940

I enjoyed what little time in beta i had, but saying that the perfomance was good.. sorry, no, it wasn't. A top of the line rig doesn't qualify for judging good perfomance anyways. A game should run good on medium to good computers, seeing that most aim for the widest audience possible (reducing visuals more would shy people away again). So, a reasonable priced (€500) rig bought a year or two ago.

Only if it runs fine (most stuff at high, at least 1680, by now more like full HD right away, maybe with AA and AF toned down though) on a cheaper and/or older rig, then a game has good perfomance.

And TSW did not run fine, not even on newer rigs, especially not with DX11, but even DX9 waasn't that good.

Maybe it all changed now, if they had stuff like SLI support deactived that means they were still tuning graphics related stuff, and i had fun despite the choppy perfomance, but that doesn't change that it had said choppy perfomance in the late beta.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I was surprised by not really getting into the game. The ideas and descriptions of the goals sounded really cool, but playing in the beta didn't really 'grab' me. I don't have a specific complaint, I just wasn't getting into the game too much. I will say that there was a difference between beta 1 and beta 3, and it was an improvement. I also don't see any glaring flaws. I might pick the game up in a month or two.

I was also surprised by the reaction, or lack of one here on MMORPG(dot)com. Sure, there were a couple people complaining about the skill system actually being levels and there are a couple now talking about the combat and combat animations, but it's nothing like what I expected. I'm not sure if this is good or not. It's certainly different.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    My 5 suprises
    1 it mostly works, a first for a funcom launch
    2 the pvp is pretty good, not as good as a true pvp game, but better than your average raid grinders
    3 the faction missions, they felt like something from a really good survival horror rpg, using light and what have you. 4 also missions where you have to sneak past security systens and what have you
    5 I actually enjoyed story, there's some really good story there e.g. elis hill in kingsmouth, the black house on savage coast.
  • GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    Hands down some of the best quests I have done in an MMO.
  • thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

1. Surprised it released with THAT combat system in place.

2. Surprised it released with THAT combat system in place.

3. Surprised it released with THAT combat system in place.

4. Surprised it released with THAT combat system in place.

5. Surprised it released with THAT combat system in place.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    This game is growing on ne like a tumor. The first 20 minutes of cutscenes almost made me give up on what might end up being a favorite MMO of mine. So surprised!

Joined - July 2004

• KtaraKtara Member Posts: 37

I'm having more fun with TSW than I thought I would.  I'm a puzzle freak, so this is perfect for me.  I will admit to looking up the Morse Code puzzle to get the answer outright.  I don't have a cell phone to put an app on, nor have I ever learned anything to do with morse code. 

What I like most though is all the dialogue with NPCs.  Kirsten is funny, Madame Roget made me arch an eyebrow, poor Norma (I feel bad for her).  I just met Mrs. Franklin, and she's great :)  I think I could be friends with her in real life.  What's surprising for me is all the dialogue they put in.  There's not just one "Tell me about yourself" bit, there are usually several.  I've not seen that in any other game.

I'm one of those people who like "godmode", or at least a little overpowered. I have no fun playing a game when I die a lot, or constantly.  Amazingly (to me at least), I'm enjoying the difficulty.  I'm in Blue Mountain, and I probably shouldn't be yet.  But the story is so compelling, I just can't go back to the other areas to "level" some more.

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by thamighty213

Agreed. That's probably the only reason I haven't purchased the game, because most of the rest of it looks solid.

• SerignuadSerignuad Member UncommonPosts: 98

Originally posted by Ryowulf I don't care for "we all dress the same" in pvp. That's not deep.

Deep enough that generals and their armies have been doing this very thing for centuries.. they even have their own name for the things, uniforms.

It is perfectly reasonable that in an organized conflict, the different factions would require their soldiers to wear one [a uniform].

So if your problem is that we aren't allowed to dress as "ourselves". Im not sure how you go about differentiating one faction from another? Other games solve this by use of actual race. But if all three sides are boring humans, what can we use? Colored armbands? Im going to guess that there would be a myriad of ways to jerk the intent of declaring what side you on by wearing different types/colors of clothing.

Im no expert in things internet technological (damn it, now the Im the very model of a modern day General is in my head), but PvP tends to be a big lag/resource hog. Having a limited set of models for all the Players probably saves a ton of resources.

So.. uniforms.. deeper than you are giving them credit for.

That said... there is plenty to criticize the game for.. animations and terrible, terrible inventory icons etc.

Still, IMO a damn fine game at launch.

We need to start thinking of MMO's as we do music or literature or the movies. There is not one MMO or one game that will be universally satisfactory to everyone's taste. MMO's don't come in one genre just as books or music doesn't come in one genre. Change and innovation is a good thing in the MMO industry just as it is in literature and music, but every MMO doesn't need to push the envelope or be cutting edge to be "good" or fun. It just needs to be good. The same is true for music. The same is true for books or for movies. Music evolves. MMO's evolve. Storytelling evolves. And in doing so, it doesn't make obsolete or not enjoyable everything that's been done before. 
  • FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by thamighty213

1. Suprised that's the only thing you care about while playing an MMORPG

2. Suprised that's the only thing you care about while playing an MMORPG

3. Suprised that's the only thing you care about while playing an MMORPG

4. Suprised that's the only thing you care about while playing an MMORPG

5. Suprised that's the only thing you care about while playing an MMORPG

6. When i want the best combat systems, i don't look for them in MMORPGs

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Not a fan of the combat either but I think it has gotten a lot better since the betas. I defiinitely agree that the character creation is still the weakest part of the game. With both of those said, it is still tolerable as the rest of the game is top notch.