Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is TSW the best MMO ever made?

Comments

• QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433

What is the point of these types of threads?

Your opinion is your opinion.  There is no basis for discussion here.

• ZaderaZadera Member UncommonPosts: 6

To all of you who don't think it is the best let us know what is. I for one am going to say that it is too early to say, however I do believe it to be better than any of the other garbage that has come out for a very long time. So far there is nothing I dislike about it and I have already recommended it to all of my friends.

So here is my best of all time games and yes some of them are old, so this is my rating of the games I have played as far as the amount of enjoyment I got out of them at the time.

1) Everquest

2) Dark Ages of Camelot

3) Eve Online

4) Everquest 2

Many games lately have disappointed me in that they become tedious quickly, including Rifts, Tera, and many other unnameable games which due to lack of interest slip my mind at the moment.

I for one have seen some elevated thought going into TSW. Hopefully it will not disappoint.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

It hasn't been out a week.  Nothing can be like that can be decided in that amount of time... unless you're talking about the invention of the Sandwich.  That you could call one of the best inventions ever made.... mmmm sandwiches.

I self identify as a monkey.

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

I give it a huge plus for going class free and level free. from all the good I have heard it could be more huge then fanboys of other games want to admit. All I have seen this year is massive wastes of money spent on the same formula we have seen before. it only takes one innovation for this industry to start thinking outside of the EQ/Wow box.

Other games slated for release soon are all based on that old formula with varions on the theme and that will be their downfall. lets hope more developers start moving away form the snorefest that is themepark MMOs.

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

The answer to that question is a definite "NO."  The character animations were horrible and the character customization is way too limited (at least it was in beta) for it to be the "best."  It's just a mediocre game at best.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Hmm...no.
    To be honest, saying this is the best MMO ever even subjectively this close to release is ridiculous.A genre were games need time to mature, before you can really see any potential.

Right now you are in the new game high. Curve your enthusiasm for at least a year and then speculate....

• rznkainrznkain Member Posts: 539
    Originally posted by Siveria

Not really. its just the newest wow-clone out, plays pretty much just like it, nothing special to see here really sadly. I was going to buy it till I played it and relized it was just yet another wow-like mmo with nothing really unique. I got bored pretty fast cuz like most mmo's that have come out since wow, it had to much of a "been there done that" feeling right from the start. I really don't know why people keep saying mmo's are great these days when every mmo is pretty much the same game in a new skin. Its kinda sad too because I had hopes for TSW.. I am just glad I didn't waste 50-60 bucks on yet another boring wow-clone mmo.

Though I do have to admit the setting is kinda nice and diffrent, and I really liked the UI, but not enough good points to TSW to warrant me buying it, not to mention the game is pretty piss-poorly optimized, and the load times are atrocious when you consider the graphics aren't all that great. MMO's have been on a sharp decline in quality/gameplay since wow came out, the devs just seem to be getting lazy. I've pretty much lost interest in the genre until it comes out of this cesspool of wow-cloning its currently stuck in.

Your first sentence tells me you haven't played much if any of TSW anyone who calls it a WoW clone hasn't touched the game for any amount of time.And since I do not want my 100th ban from mmog for flaming someone I will take the high road this time.But you have really made yourself sound not too smart in your post sorry.

• MaitraderMaitrader Member UncommonPosts: 389
    Originally posted by Mouth

So.

Take a product launch of a new MMO. Look at what is available of tech and market opportunities. Consider inovation and budget. Can you compare a MUD of the 90s to a million-dollar investment AAA MMO like TSW. Not really. So to rephrase then - is TSW the best MMO ever made?

To me it is, but I also believe it will not be obvious to most people yet. Why?

The skill system grows and grows on you. Set-ups that crush some enemies don't work other places. Make builds for solo (and its subforms of survival, dps whatnot), grouping and pvp. Its the best skill system I've seen to date, my last favorite was guild wars 1. These are my subjective opinions.

The world and setting is just immensely original and such a fresh air in comparison to ELVES, MINOTAURS and LASERGUNS. Thank you.

The stories being told, the cutscenes which I usually skip, I don't skip at all. Most of those who play the game know why.

No false promises. Everything promised about the product is there. No false advertising.

Visual look like nothing else in the MMO marketing. Full DX11 with tesselation, there is in my opinion no launched MMO looking better, except arguably EVE which does a great job at what it does (though being way different). On my 64 bit it's super stable, but not so on my other 32-bit 4GB vista where is crashed like four times.

Crafting. Awesome system, whoever it is somewhat reduced by small polish issues such as the materials you break down (most everything you find you can break down into resources) don't have their quality tier in the name. Hopefully fixed soon.

Social. The other players appear MATURE and FRIENDLY, unlike many F2P games that I know.

The dungeons are the best in any MMO, i'll almost go objective on not be subjective. Please don't slam the dungeons here if you have not played through Polaris or Darkness War (which is even better). I've not played hell yet.

Replayability. With an almost endless array of skills that can be unlocked and three tiers of difficulty to all dungeons, mkay - there's a LOT of content here. On the hardest tier the boss tactics change, so it's not just a "dmg/hp buff" difference.

PvP - Fusang is just awesome. One could argue that world-pvp would be nice in some zones, personally though I am bored of being ganked while fighting mobs - but I do understand those that wish for it.

Innovation. The game does SO much new stuff, it dares so much. The genre, the skill system, the maturity. It is clear that the game is built by people who have worked in this industry a long time (Anarchy Online launched in 2001).

The quests: amazing and varied. Really underlining the point above about innovation. Investigations, stories, even EQ quests (Story quests) just telling you to go to a general area and work it out yourself - i love it.

Funcom is an independent developer. They don't have the marketing muscle of LucasArts or Blizzard.

In sum - to me, TSW is the best MMO ever made. Strong words, I know. Saying that does make my MUD, Everquest and Ultima Online heart bleed, cause all of them so so damn innovative too, and also sparked the same in me, love-wise, as TSW does. The feat of TSW today is what it is. A feat that moves the MMO genre forward.

Thank you.

Definitely not the best ever, but definitely the best of the last 3 years lol

• CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657

I coudn't fine anything about it that I liked so for me it is not even a good MMO

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217

no its not. its not even top 3.

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

• LordCeonLordCeon Member UncommonPosts: 47

not even 3 month next month on the 28 everyone will be playing guild wars 2 o.o cuz the combat system in TSW is soo clunky and stupid not even polished :/ and yes i played TSW and Gw2

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by sonicbrew

Not even close

Depends on who you ask.

I could not be any more happier with the game as it stands currently.  So far TSW is quickly becoming an amazing experience and as it stands Its easily in my Top 3 (right after Asherons Call and WoW vanilla).

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

From a technical stand point OP it probably is. 

WoW is still king and for good reason. I stopped playing when it was over simplified at the start of Cata, but no other mmo gives you the options and such high quality. Can TSW get there? You damn right it can. The ground work has been laid.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by Zadera

To all of you who don't think it is the best let us know what is. I for one am going to say that it is too early to say, however I do believe it to be better than any of the other garbage that has come out for a very long time. So far there is nothing I dislike about it and I have already recommended it to all of my friends.

So here is my best of all time games and yes some of them are old, so this is my rating of the games I have played as far as the amount of enjoyment I got out of them at the time.

1) Everquest

2) Dark Ages of Camelot

3) Eve Online

4) Everquest 2

Many games lately have disappointed me in that they become tedious quickly, including Rifts, Tera, and many other unnameable games which due to lack of interest slip my mind at the moment.

I for one have seen some elevated thought going into TSW. Hopefully it will not disappoint.

I love opinion threads like this becasue of these types of posts.  Your top 4 are not even in the same ballpark as my top top 4.  Other then DAoC which had the suckiest PvE leveling grind in the history of MMO's (unless it was identical to EQ because I never played it) I couldnt stand any of those other 3.  EQ was all about elitists raid centered ideas and as far as I know only 2 classes could solo effectively which means all the other classes sucked.  EvE online is like playing a spread sheet and shouldnt even be considered an MMO because who the hell wants to play a space ship as an avatar.  EQ2 I did play and the combat and animations were 10times worse then TSW and everyone rails against TSW's combat.

I agree though most new games have dissapointed me as well because of prolly many of the same reasons, but mostly becuase they were onoriginal and were wow clones.  TSW on the other hand is as close to a WoW clone as is Eve imo. 

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

it might become the best, but we wont know til we see what the devs have in store.  They are going to need to pack in the content, new quests, and pvp.  new skills maybe as well.

right now to me its my no 4 all time overall, as for innovation its my no 3 all time behind Horizons and Asheron's Call.

my top 4 all time mmo's

1) Asheron's Call

2) WOW

3) Horizons

4) TSW

5) Rift

this is personal opinion mind you

• CetraCetra Member UncommonPosts: 359

Best? Let me see. There are MMOs with better combat, effects and animations. There are MMOs with better pvp. So no.

TSW pve is good. Thats all. If you only play pve, it might be the best mmo to you then.

*fusang is crap. It provides nothing other than the thrill of large scale fighting. The map is boring as sh1t.* 

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Depends on what they add to the game. If they just pile on more quests, dungeons, PvP zones then no. But of they add new elements to the game ie housing, non combat abilities, rp tools, etc. Then yeah it could be up there with the best. Swtor had the potential to branch out but they just seem to be adding more of what they already have... Hopefully, funcom takes a cue from what rift is doing and actually expand and grow their game.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• Skarecrow7Skarecrow7 Member UncommonPosts: 339

I am glad you found your game OP. I truely hope if gives you years of enjoyment. 

I played the beta, and I did think it was pretty good. I can see how you would feel this way OP, though I dont myself. Perhaps if I knew people that were playing, or if my better half was interested, but it didnt grab me hard enough to venture by myself into that world.  I HATE bring up anouther game (espeicialy this one with the bad rep it has around here), but if it was buy to play like GW2 will be, I would have found a way to squeeze the money out.  After the last few mmo's it is getting harder to justify a monthy fee for me... especialy while on a budget.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • HexcaliberHexcaliber Member UncommonPosts: 171
    Good, yes, if they sort out the bugs and expand crafting; best of all time, nope, that would have to go to Neocron, a mmo most around here have never even heard of, let alone played. While graphically dated now, it was years ahead of the competition, and showed other developers what Massively multiplayer was really about.

The game itself was brilliant, the publishing company chosen to handle distribution and advertising, CDV, should be hung drawn and quartered for handling the games release the way they did.

The game introduced so many new systems to mmo’s; it rewrote what could be achieved and paved the way for the genre’s future.

The first mmo with a seamless open world with no zoning, first with housing, fps style combat, remote controlled drones, multi user vehicles, hybrid char builds, a tradeskill system that imho has still not been matched, the ability to tailor a weapons damage types and bonuses, fully working stock market, epic story arcs, random server wide events and invasions, player implants to fine tune your chars build.

Neocron was the first mmo to introduce all of these. Oh and a red light district with strippers, cannot talk about Neocron and not mention pepper park.

My Colour Is Vomit green, I puke on the tards with stupid colour sigs. My symbol is ,,!, O ,!,, My enemies are any prat with a colour sig, a meaningless personality test, or a pointless list of games and classes.

Regards Hexcaliber

• SinmarSinmar Member UncommonPosts: 7

Since I am a big fan of the original SWG with its skilledbased system and this is the best  available version of it (that I know of) I would say: probably. When the SWGEmu is more complete TSW might have some competition though. What makes "the best" MMO  is however, the people playing it  (almost more than the game itself). In an MMO I want to meet people I like and that make my online time enjoyable so we'll see. There is no doubt that this is one of my top 2-3 MMO's though.

• VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774

I think it will go down as something special.

"One of the best" is a better way of describing it in my opinion. Very few companies look at the MMO world and succeed in creating a game that is not simply a copy of everything that has gone before it. That is what TSW has done, they created something different in a world of clones and 'sameness'.

I commend them for what they have done, for their vision and their ability to create what they set out to do.

History will show whether it is one of the best, but that is not so important, they have made a very deep mark that can not be taken away now.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257

Currently it's one of the best and if I'll find it good enough to play for longer than a year then it may become the best. After all it's absolutely personal opinion because there are not any objective criteria to measure MMO other than finding it entertaining. TSW as a present day horror MMO is just what I've been waiting for. And being classless is a big plus for me too. So for me personally it's one of the best with a potential to become the best.

This discussion has been closed.