Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just discovered REPOP

I was flipping through MMORPG looking over the MMO list thinking how I would like to play a MMO yet, I have tried nearly every one of the top 20 MMO's and then some. So many MMO's and yet for so many years. Not since early Everquest, to Darkage of camelot, to Pre-CU SWG to pre-shutdown SB have I discovered a game that has had me so intrigued.

From what I have read the game reminds me of some pre-CU SWG - Shadowbane mixture that took aspects from both games  and improved and surpassed all aspects of each MMO. Surely, by comparing an MMO to another I have inflamed some number of forum goers yet I felt no other description could portray how I feel.

Player cities, sieges, very complex skill system, such customization, owning shops, etc. Truely this will have any PvP or economy  driven player licking his chops. One aspect I have always appreciated about the sandbox genre is the power money can gives a player. And of course I enjoy playing on the economy in games and the pvp aspect as well. So I have high hopes for this game.

May REPOP help show modern gamers what the MMORPG genre is truely about. Not some grind filled themepark.

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Yep, it all looks good, but as with any indie title whether or not this sees a proper launch due to funding issues remains an open question.  Might want to support their kickstarter effort if you want to help make it happen.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DubonEngevenDubonEngeven Member Posts: 96

Would but I have almost no money right now and the kickstarter ends in 12 hours, if they extended it a few days I could atleast chip in 20  and get the  founder title (believe it was 20)

If they have a 2nd kickstarter later on I would gladly donate a larger sum if I am employed, hopefully I will be, as nice as the free time is it's hard to enjoy the free time with out the $ $.

• CrunkJuice2CrunkJuice2 Member Posts: 568

"Not some grind filled themepark."

funny,when did mmos become grind filled.95 if not more percent of the mmos nowadays are all casualfests that have barely little grind

eather way,isnt this another sci fi mmo.cuz im pretty much done with sci fi mmos after the trainwreck swtor was

• BardusBardus Member Posts: 460
    Originally posted by CrunkJuice2

"Not some grind filled themepark."

funny,when did mmos become grind filled.95 if not more percent of the mmos nowadays are all casualfests that have barely little grind

eather way,isnt this another sci fi mmo.cuz im pretty much done with sci fi mmos after the trainwreck swtor was

So your saying because Repop is sci-fi and because TOR is sci-fi then that's reason enough to find fault with it? OK, that kinda sounds nuts but whatever.

Repop is to TOR what night is to day. LOL there is no comparison at all.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

I wish I could get into this game. I have a mental wall that will just not allow me to play a game like this, my personal problem is:

I can not get over guns and H2H weapons mixing in any game, ever. For me all chances of immersion is obliterated. Its like bringing a knife to a gun fight, it just doesnt make any sense to me. Reality and fiction crash to hard for me here. If I have a gun in a game and some dude with an axe kills me, theres a serious problem. There would have to be some serious explination in game how an axe weilder could defeat a gunner. I can somewhat allow myself get involved if the guns are some type of energy blasters (think SW movies). But if they are modern day type of guns that use modern day type ammo forget about, theres no way my mind could get immersed in that. Maybe primative type guns sure I could go for that, poor black powder, no barrel riffling guns were not near as effective then.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• KaylettaJadeKaylettaJade Member UncommonPosts: 144
    Originally posted by toddze

I wish I could get into this game. I have a mental wall that will just not allow me to play a game like this, my personal problem is:

I can not get over guns and H2H weapons mixing in any game, ever. For me all chances of immersion is obliterated. Its like bringing a knife to a gun fight, it just doesnt make any sense to me. Reality and fiction crash to hard for me here. If I have a gun in a game and some dude with an axe kills me, theres a serious problem. There would have to be some serious explination in game how an axe weilder could defeat a gunner. I can somewhat allow myself get involved if the guns are some type of energy blasters (think SW movies). But if they are modern day type of guns that use modern day type ammo forget about, theres no way my mind could get immersed in that. Maybe primative type guns sure I could go for that, poor black powder, no barrel riffling guns were not near as effective then.

Actually melee weapons can be highly effective during comabt even in real life situations.  But that's just it - they are situational.  Technically so are sniper rifles though.  Handguns too are situational, it's just that their effectiveness has a bit wider range, but you still aren't getting anywhere if you take on a sniper rifle with a handgun.

Most games simply overbuff melee to compensate for the natural disadvantage they have against ranged, but I think and entirely different approach should be utilized.  The old school mechanics of 1:1 balancing don't work effectively in classless games, so I think we need to move away from it and toward something a bit more realistic and effective.

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

If you played SWG, think along those ilnes...you typically switched weapons during combat depending on the range you were at, there are weapon effective ranges

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Yep, it all looks good, but as with any indie title whether or not this sees a proper launch due to funding issues remains an open question. 

This........unfortunately

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by DubonEngeven

I was flipping through MMORPG looking over the MMO list thinking how I would like to play a MMO yet, I have tried nearly every one of the top 20 MMO's and then some. So many MMO's and yet for so many years. Not since early Everquest, to Darkage of camelot, to Pre-CU SWG to pre-shutdown SB have I discovered a game that has had me so intrigued.

From what I have read the game reminds me of some pre-CU SWG - Shadowbane mixture that took aspects from both games  and improved and surpassed all aspects of each MMO. Surely, by comparing an MMO to another I have inflamed some number of forum goers yet I felt no other description could portray how I feel.

Player cities, sieges, very complex skill system, such customization, owning shops, etc. Truely this will have any PvP or economy  driven player licking his chops. One aspect I have always appreciated about the sandbox genre is the power money can gives a player. And of course I enjoy playing on the economy in games and the pvp aspect as well. So I have high hopes for this game.

May REPOP help show modern gamers what the MMORPG genre is truely about. Not some grind filled themepark.

Fairly certain we can go back in time and see the same type of comments made about Darkfall or Mortal Online.  Dont think that fared as well.

I dont, nor will I ever trust or play developed by an indie studio.

Listen I like sandbox elements too, but untill a PvE sandbox game is created by a AAA development team then I'll pass.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    I'm pulling for this game too, if a company can pull off a sandbox anywhere near solid, it'll be a hit
  • hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by Bardus

Exept the fact that they both use the same 3rd party game engine...

Going to be interesting to see exactly how different the manage to make it feel.

(I did support the Kickstarter, so I guess I am inclined to think the engine really wasn't the main issue of Tortanic.)

• JothmeinJothmein Member Posts: 64
    Originally posted by toddze

Google the 21 Foot Rule.

• KaylettaJadeKaylettaJade Member UncommonPosts: 144
    Originally posted by hfztt
    Originally posted by Bardus

Going to be interesting to see exactly how different the manage to make it feel.

(I did support the Kickstarter, so I guess I am inclined to think the engine really wasn't the main issue of Tortanic.)

Hero Engine has never been SWTORs problem.  HE/HB is an invaluable tool for an indie dev company.  It takes about 15 minutes to read through the necessary information in the wiki, and as long as you refrain from clicking random buttons, heroblade is very new-user friendly.  It's pretty sweet for getting things moving in swift fashion.

The game is going to feel tons different because we're not doing things the same way TOR did, and happily, Repop isn't going to attempt burn your computer's cpu/gpu out at max settings.

• JC-SmithJC-Smith Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Originally posted by hfztt

I think the most important thing to note on the engines is what Hero Engine does and does not provide. Because I think there's a lot of confusion there. Most players are familiar with engines from Quake, Unreal, Cry, Source, etc engines. These were primarily FPS engines that were often licensed by other FPS titles and often had very similar game play to one another. They didn't necessarily need to, and some games really broke out of that mold. But I think that caused the misconception that the engine does most of the work. That can be the case, but often is not.

What Hero Engine Does

- Collaberative Editing system. This is perhaps the biggest strength of the engine is that you can edit and build the world online in realtime. That saves so much time. Typically in other engines this happens offline, then revisions are made.

- Realtime scripting. Another huge plus is that you can compile your scripts in realtime and they happen instantly in the world. It allows you to quickly fix problems. In a traditional server/client system to make these changes you often had to shut down an area, upload data, wait for it to restart. You lost minutes to test any changes, and there are always bugs the first few compiles. In Hero Engines those 2 minutes turn into 2 seconds, and in the longrun this gives huge savings.

- Seamless systems. Allows you to easily build seamless worlds.

- Provides a networking layer. The networking on Hero Engine is very good and provides all the basic functionality you need for an MMO. The Spatial Awareness system is top notch.

- Spec Oracle system provides access and realtime editing to the database and makes it easy to build tools in a uniform system.

- Provides a graphics layer. Though it should be noted that game developers often choose to integrate their own graphics engines and not use this option. Those who license Hero Engine may use the renderer, or they may choose to use a third party renderer such as Unreal Engine or Crytek.

- Provides some example frameworks. Including the source code to Hero's Journey, and example frame works for building First Person Shooters, Casual Peer to Peer Games and an On Rails Shooter. These provide developers with some examples of how to implement different game play systems. However, it is very important to note that these are only example frameworks. You can design your game however you like.

I think the last two are the most important to note. Hero Engine doesn't make your game a wow clone. You start with CleanEngine which is basically a bare functional system covering the bare basics that most games would use. From there developers add their own systems for things like quests, spawners, combat, etc. TOR was very like WoW because Bioware felt that was what players wanted. It is optimized more for small numbers of players, because that's how the game was designed. Graphics were optimized for a handful of players and perform well in those situations, but the high level of customization and high polygon counts choke with dozens of players on the screen, in an area such as Ilum. Had TOR been designs as a PvP game from the start they probably would have had less armor variations and lower polygon counts. It was a design decision.

My personal opinion is that Hero Engine is a fantastic engine. It's not perfect, but no engine is. I've worked with most of the well-known engines at one point or another. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. For making MMOs though, Hero Engine is my preference.