Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need a good single player game

2»

Comments

• mikunimanmikuniman Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Originally posted by Gabby-air

Mass Effect trilogy

Dragon Age Origins

The witcher series

Battlefield 3

Max Payne 3

great line up, I'd add Saints Row: The Third

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Games which haven't been mentioned I think:

Console only games:

Halo series (if you have an Xbox) - one of the best games series I've ever played

Red Dead Redemption - amazing open world game set in the early 1900s.

Forza 4/GT 5 - one of the best racers if you are into car racing

Devil May Cry

Mortal Kombat/Tekken - amazing fighting games

Metal Gear Solid 1,2,3 are available in HD for all consoles, MGS 4 is PS3 exclusive.

God of War (PS3 only) and Gears of War (XBox only)

Available on PC and may be available on consoles

Indie games - Braid, Super Meat Boy (warning this is one of the most difficult and at time annoying games, you will ever play), Shank 2, Defense Grid: the Awakening

Portal 1 and 2 

The Total War Series - Shogun is the best imo

Super Street Fighter 4/Street Fighter x Tekken

Fifa (?) or any sport game for that matter.

There are many great games already mentioned in this thread! 

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• JenuvielJenuviel Member Posts: 960

A few people have recommended Saints Row: the Third. I'd strongly recommend Saints Row 2 instead. Saints Row: the Third improved a few of the game play mechanics, but the second game was much stronger in many areas. Saints Row 2 had a larger city, more varied environments (a beach/boardwalk, college campus, shopping mall, etc.), it had more building interiors, it had significantly more avatar customization (custom walking animations, fighting styles, more facial features, far more clothing, far more jewelery, etc.), it had more music (and better music, too), it had more car models, it had more hidden items/areas, it was more "sandboxy" (do what you want in the order you want) and it had a far, far, far better story.

Saints Row: the Third improved some animations, streamlined the UI, had smoother shooting, added a higher poly count, improved driving mechanics a bit, and made the "leveling" vertical rather than horizontal. It's absolutely a fun game and worth playing, but it lost a lot of what made Saints Row 2 an instant classic.

Plus, you can get Saints Row 2 for $14.99 or less.

• RabiatorRabiator Member Posts: 358

If you like space games like Privateer or Freelancer, I can recommend the X series from Egosoft: http://www.egosoft.com/games/x3ap/info_en.php.

Think Freelancer with a larger world, a more dynamic economy and the option to own stations and multiple ships...

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363
    Originally posted by Oligarh

Well, it's the summer vacation and i have almost no games to play. There is of course league of legends, but i've been playing it too much so i'm a bit bored of it.

I would like you to suggest some games for me, single player preferably, that i could play. The genre is not important ,  no criteria of search, just any game that you think is good atm. Preferably new, 2008+.

Currently i'm waiting for prototype to be released for the PC. Of course Skyrim will be recommended so i'll say from the start that i already played it, and i enjoyed it a bit.

Other single player games that i've played (i rarely play SP cause i can't find good games) are: Deus ex: human revolution (i seriously thought that this is one of the best games ever, even though i deleted it 3 times before actually getting into it :P),  Fallout (i keep forgetting about it, i might continue playing it if no one has any good suggestions), Starcraft(only the campaign, can't play online ... for reasons).

But if you know an online game that is entertaining, do not be shy to mention it also.

It's not mandatory for the games to be AAA titles, indie games could work also, but a well polished game would be nice.

Thank you in advance.

Ok, so i know i should post this in the lfgame section, and i am very sorry that i don't do it, but that section is almost dead and i would get an answer very hard.

Witcher 2, Fez, Legend of Grimrock.  Of course there's also Skyrim, Starcarft II (don't need to play multiplayer.)

And those are just games out here now.  Can always goto gogames.com for tons of ancient classics.

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363
    Originally posted by aesperus
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    Also, if you have steam, don't count out mods. Civ4 for one has some really good mods that are free (afaik) and make the game seem like an entirely different sort of game.

Just look at Skyrim.  If you play it with mods, it looks like a different game, and plays like a different game.  The vanilla was nice, but honestly, the mods make it almost brand new.  (Just the graphical mods alone, like the one that accurately draws details on distant things, so mountains retain detail is gorgeous in and of itself.)

• Mors-SubitaMors-Subita Member UncommonPosts: 517

On a rain slick precipice of darkness

episode 1

episode 2

episode 3

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

1. Skyrim

2. Dragon Age Origins

3. The Witcher 2

4. Neverwinter NIghts 1

5. Mass Effect games

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• cure01cure01 Member UncommonPosts: 291

Sanitarium is on GOG.com $9.99

Good Old Games.com Excellent selection of games for very reasonable prices.:) All DRM free.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

has anyone mentioned SWTOR yet? I hear it's very much a single player game with a good storyline.  Skyrim is a good choice too.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620

witcher 2. i like it more compared skyrim because combat is much more fun, stil both are great

• StormwindXStormwindX Member Posts: 168

Suggesting something that others haven't suggested yet:

Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3, and its expansion, Uprising.

C&C: RA3 is by far the most fun RTS game I've played in a loooooooooooong time. And two out of three of the single-player campaigns are pure awesome. And it's on a 75% sale on Steam right now, so you may want to look into that.

• KelenekiKeleneki Member UncommonPosts: 32
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by cure01

Good Old Games.com Excellent selection of games for very reasonable prices.:) All DRM free.

I'll second checking out GoG.com.  All legit, all DRM free.  Many titles are older classics, but there are some new and Indie games as well.  Most are very reasonably priced.  The Witcher is $9.99 and Witcher 2 is $39.99.  GoG also has some cool bonuses when you buy the game through them.  Stuff like extra artwork, music tracks, wallpapers, manuals, movies, avatars, and such.

GOG.com is wonderful.  Might I suggest Baldur's Gate II Complete?  One of the very best games ever made, bar none, IMO.

• KyelthisKyelthis Member UncommonPosts: 287
    Originally posted by Keleneki
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by cure01

I'll second checking out GoG.com.  All legit, all DRM free.  Many titles are older classics, but there are some new and Indie games as well.  Most are very reasonably priced.  The Witcher is $9.99 and Witcher 2 is $39.99.  GoG also has some cool bonuses when you buy the game through them.  Stuff like extra artwork, music tracks, wallpapers, manuals, movies, avatars, and such.

GOG.com is wonderful.  Might I suggest Baldur's Gate II Complete?  One of the very best games ever made, bar none, IMO.

Agree 110%. BG2 is still, imo, the best RPG ever made. DA:O doesn't even come close to being any sort of "spiritual successor" like they said it would. 

The Witcher 2 was actually quite good and worth a buy. But if you haven't played BG2 yet, get that, get it now.

• itbewillyitbewilly Member UncommonPosts: 351

I have a crap load of fun single player games ive still yet to finish

Wont name Skyrim as you've listed it. 

If you want an older pretty good rpg check out The Vampire Masquerade - Bloodlines. Not many have listed it but its a fun game for pc.(may be older then you asked - if so sorry)

Hunted is an okay game. Single Player/Co-Op optional for pc/consoles.(Some might say its rather short as far as game play goes)

Rage is a good fps/rpg type game. Setting is like Borderlands and Fallout series(all Wastelandish) with game play that works like a good mix of both. It also has Co-Op options should that be wanted later.The driving and other side quest/mini games can give you something to do between constant combat/missions.

Kingdom of Amalur is a fun single player game. It may be a bit easier as far as exploration goes. It has a mini-map that basically tells you where to go. Combat in it is nice.

If you also prefer online games occasionally like TF2 you should try Gotham City Imposter's or Brawl Busters. They are both crazy smaller arena type pvp games. Brawl Busters was on steam free/cheap(cant remember which) and Gotham City Imposters was on sale for like $15 bucks a while back also. Both of these games are fun to fill in some extra hours when you dont have a game to play or are just burned out from the ones you've been playing.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

CIV IV BTS: Cavemen2cosmos: This great CIV mode is the ultimate CIV game and really advanced. Fun both by yourself or in hotseat.

Crusader kings 2: Breed a family of degenerated nobles and rule a kingdom or a small country from 1066 until 1455. Surprisingly fun and also works well in LAN. Just don´t forget to get the latest patch, like all Paradox game the release version was really buggy.

2 fun strategy games, excellent for a rainy day or a long train trip. :)